Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Justin_Brett
Oct 23, 2012

GAMERDOME put down LOSER

Endorph posted:

the actual difference is the sereis lists in the gba/ds games were way smaller so they had to do most of the plots or they wouldnt, have a plot. like w has maybe 11 series (not counting separate seasons of the same thing, like fmp and fmp s2, as different series) and t has like 19.

This may be something they shifted to after A, because I've been playing Portable and that game feeling the need to have some plot for every series, if not an outright flaw, does make it flow very oddly. Depending on what route splits you take you can never encounter a Daitarn stage if you don't want to.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Nephrite
Aug 18, 2006
Lipstick Apathy
I was really sad we didn't get Chill Adult Giri from Steel 7 in SRW.

Kchama
Jul 25, 2007
It's still weird we've never gotten the Death Gale Squad as PCs outside of Barnes. You know, the one who dies and never actually joins the team in the manga.

Whereas the two who canonically live and join the team both die.

EDIT: Actually I think they live if and only if you recruit Barnes. And they still don't join.

Kchama fucked around with this message at 04:39 on Aug 17, 2021

Yon
Oct 7, 2003

Just one spice?
Just one spice
Just one spice...

I don't buy from GMG often, how long do their preorder sales tend to last?

Justin_Brett
Oct 23, 2012

GAMERDOME put down LOSER
I've been thinking on it but what do you all think is the chance of Grendizer showing up thanks to Infinitism? I've heard it and Mazinkaiser both appear together in that model line's story, such as it is.

Blaze Dragon
Aug 28, 2013
LOWTAX'S SPINE FUND

Justin_Brett posted:

I've been thinking on it but what do you all think is the chance of Grendizer showing up thanks to Infinitism? I've heard it and Mazinkaiser both appear together in that model line's story, such as it is.

IIRC the Infinitism thing is confirmed to only be Mazinkaiser.

1st Stage Midboss
Oct 29, 2011

It being specifically listed as Mazinkaiser Infinitism seems to rule any other units out, and I can't imagine they would hide it instead of trumpeting loudly about the return of Grendizer to console SRW after 11 years.

1st Stage Midboss fucked around with this message at 16:52 on Aug 17, 2021

Kitfox88
Aug 21, 2007

Anybody lose their glasses?
Saving it for the DLC units obviously

Tribladeofchaos
Jul 2, 2008

IT'S SHOWTIME!

One day we'll get Grendizer back....one day. :smith:

EthanSteele
Nov 18, 2007

I can hear you
Have the Irm/Mashymere voice actor do Duke again like he did that one time.

BornAPoorBlkChild
Sep 24, 2012
https://twitter.com/hakaba_event/status/1420262746365603841?s=20

:lol:made you look. Dont worry I thought the same thing too at first:unsmith:

Willo567
Feb 5, 2015

Cheating helped me fail the test and stay on the show.

EthanSteele posted:

Have the Irm/Mashymere voice actor do Duke again like he did that one time.

I thought Koichi Yamadera (Spike's VA) voiced him

Nullkigan
Jul 3, 2009
Trying to grab V on switch as a warm-up for 30 - are there any legit retailers of eshop cards besides playasia? I seem to remember previous iterations of the thread didn't like them for some reason, but that might be some ancient drama thing IDK

1st Stage Midboss
Oct 29, 2011

Nullkigan posted:

Trying to grab V on switch as a warm-up for 30 - are there any legit retailers of eshop cards besides playasia? I seem to remember previous iterations of the thread didn't like them for some reason, but that might be some ancient drama thing IDK

I don't know if they've kept it up, but a while back Playasia was actively targeting the "SJWs censoring ouur games!!" demographic, which put a lot of people off them. I've used SEAGM before for SEA PSN cards, and they have eShop cards on there too.

Supremezero
Apr 28, 2013

hay gurl

Nullkigan posted:

Consider also just getting a physical copy of the game, which is a thing that's plenty affordable now that it's not new on, say, amazon.

Policenaut
Jul 11, 2008

On the moon... they don't make Neo Kobe Pizza.

I've bought every single PS4 SRW off eBay for less money in total than what it would cost to buy an actual brand new PS4 game in person at a store, it's kinda nuts.

Kingtheninja
Jul 29, 2004

"You're the best looking guy here."

Supremezero posted:

Consider also just getting a physical copy of the game, which is a thing that's plenty affordable now that it's not new on, say, amazon.

Correct me if I'm wrong but on switch I think you can use a credit card on a foreign eshop.

Alacron
Feb 15, 2007

-->Have tearful reunion with your son
-->Eh
Fun Shoe

Kingtheninja posted:

Correct me if I'm wrong but on switch I think you can use a credit card on a foreign eshop.

I've used my credit card on the HK e-shop a couple times now with no issues beyond the obvious "navigating a site in a foreign language" hurdle.

Eeevil
Oct 28, 2010

Well obviously he didn't see it, or he'd be wearing a hardhat :colbert:
Why does Steam care about upholding region locks but Nintendon't?

Tae
Oct 24, 2010

Hello? Can you hear me? ...Perhaps if I shout? AAAAAAAAAH!

Eeevil posted:

No one sued consoles for vpn trade crimes

Tribladeofchaos
Jul 2, 2008

IT'S SHOWTIME!

The Switch was when Nintendo decided that region locks were more trouble than it was worth.

WrightOfWay
Jul 24, 2010

Kingtheninja posted:

I think it depends on your card company more than anything.

Hokuto
Jul 21, 2002

Soiled Meat

Eeevil posted:

Steam cares because there's a much wider range of region-based pricing globally there than what you'll find on consoles. (Also not familiar with the VPN trade crimes thing but I fully believe whatever it is.)

Sony cares, but to a lesser extent than Steam, because they're a media company with lots of media licensing agreements that mandate hard region locks for things like movie purchases and rentals via PSN, which I ASSUME is why they don't take non-region credit cards and why you have to buy the PSN cards in local currency to circumvent this.

Nintendo cares, but less than Sony and Steam, because they have no media-based stake in regional enforcements. I ASSUME this is why I've heard mixed reports of people being able to use a credit card from one region in a different one. But as always, your mileage may vary.

Revitalized
Sep 13, 2007

A free custom title is a free custom title

Lipstick Apathy
Playing through Super Robot Wars V right now and I just wanna say that 'Yuusou' from Shin Getter Armageddon's themes is dope af.

'Heats' is also good, and Black Getter just looks so cool.

Sidesaddle Cavalry
Mar 15, 2013

Oh Boy Desert Map
I told myself I wasn't going to get excited about kids' toy robot Mightgaine but V just makes it (him?) too cool

Snake Maze
Jul 13, 2016

3.85 Billion years ago
  • Having seen the explosion on the moon, the Devil comes to Venus

Alacron posted:

I've used my credit card on the HK e-shop a couple times now with no issues beyond the obvious "navigating a site in a foreign language" hurdle.

Same, I was able to buy T’s dlc with no issue with my American credit card. I’d try that first before buying eshop cards.

EthanSteele
Nov 18, 2007

I can hear you

Willo567 posted:

I thought Koichi Yamadera (Spike's VA) voiced him

Yamadera voiced him in MX and that'd be great too! Horiuchi voiced him in the Complete Box. Just gimme Duke Fleed!

BisbyWorl
Jan 12, 2019

Knowledge is pain plus observation.

In SRW-adjacent news, Sanbondo (the 2hu SRW devs) posted an update on their NG+ patch progress a week back.

According to Twitter's translate, they're still chipping away at it, and will give a more concrete release date when they're closer to done.

Kanos
Sep 6, 2006

was there a time when speedwagon didn't get trolled

Eeevil posted:

To elaborate slightly on Hokuto's post, Steam has regional pricing, which means a game that costs $60 USD in the US might cost the equivalent of $30 USD in Brazil or Ukraine or something. They had to deal with a whole mess of people using region-hopping and VPNs to search out the lowest regional pricing and then abusing the gift system or account sales to do things ranging from "making a quick buck flipping keys" to "actually laundering money". Eventually they said screw it and introduced a mostly zero tolerance policy.

It's basically never been an issue because there's almost no region locked games on Steam - SRW V and X were honestly the first region locked Steam games I've ever heard of, which was presumably done by Bamco due to rights issues.

Droyer
Oct 9, 2012

Nomyth posted:

I told myself I wasn't going to get excited about kids' toy robot Mightgaine but V just makes it (him?) too cool

Every robot in SRW is kids' toy so it's ok to like Might Gaine

Nick Buntline
Dec 20, 2007
Doesn't know the impossible.

Kanos posted:

It's basically never been an issue because there's almost no region locked games on Steam - SRW V and X were honestly the first region locked Steam games I've ever heard of, which was presumably done by Bamco due to rights issues.

Yeah, the only other one I can think of right now is Chroma Squad, which got region locked for much the same reason (Haim Saban got pissed about the game making fun of him and got Toei to threaten to sue the devs over the rights if it wasn't pulled from their broadcast areas).

SpaceDrake
Dec 22, 2006

I can't avoid filling a game with awful memes, even if I want to. It's in my bones...!

Kanos posted:

Quite a number of games are region-locked against Japan specifically, or at least used to be; it got to such a point that it was even a meme among the Japanese PC crowd.

Kitfox88
Aug 21, 2007

Anybody lose their glasses?

Droyer posted:

Every robot in SRW is kids' toy so it's ok to like Might Gaine

Demonbane is kids' toy? :thunk:

Endorph
Jul 22, 2009

Kitfox88 posted:

Demonbane is kids' toy? :thunk:

they did actually put out a demonbane toy last year. for about 150 bucks

Kanos
Sep 6, 2006

SpaceDrake posted:

Quite a number of games are region-locked against Japan specifically, or at least used to be; it got to such a point that it was even a meme among the Japanese PC crowd.

That's interesting to hear. Any idea why that's the case?

Endorph
Jul 22, 2009

Japanese companies tend to price gouge dedicated fans while releasing the same products for cheaper overseas. Compare the price of an anime blu-ray in Japan to an anime blu-ray in the US. Thus, they don't want the Japanese fans to circumvent said gouging.

wdarkk
Oct 26, 2007

Friends: Protected
World: Saved
Crablettes: Eaten

Endorph posted:

Japanese companies tend to price gouge dedicated fans while releasing the same products for cheaper overseas. Compare the price of an anime blu-ray in Japan to an anime blu-ray in the US. Thus, they don't want the Japanese fans to circumvent said gouging.

Yeah, but specifically pc games?

KoB
May 1, 2009

wdarkk posted:

Games are expensive in japan too

e: some recent fighting game had this issue where the English version just included japanese text and voiceover so they region locked it to stop people in Japan from just buying the English version.

Endorph
Jul 22, 2009

wdarkk posted:

New games in Japan are usually about 70-80 usd and im pretty sure jp steam has way fewer sales

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Kanos
Sep 6, 2006

Endorph posted:

This should be covered by Steam's normal regional pricing scheme rather than leading to actual region locks, though. Like if the reason was "Japanese publishers demand that games be priced at $80 USD in Japan", Steam can do that regionally without any form of region lock.