Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Senerio
Oct 19, 2009

Roëmænce is ælive!
Quick update, due to a bunch of life events happening all at the same time, and losing the script to one of the episodes I have a really hard time rewatching (I was finishing up the season before posting the next episode), I'm handing the reins of the thread over to KennyMan666.

I leave you all (for now) with gay finger guns

https://twitter.com/dreamworksshera/status/1081309501578330112

Senerio fucked around with this message at 23:26 on Jul 29, 2021

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

KennyMan666
May 27, 2010

The Saga

Yes hello I'm Kenny and asked Senerio about it because I really liked this thread and was sad to see it die, so I reached out with the question.

I'll see if I can get the next episode posted before Monday, but I know better than to make that a definite promise. Depending on how in the groove I get with writing up things updates may be more frequent than once a week and as of right now I will not have a set weekday for the updates.

Now, obviously my writing style will be a bit different than Senerio's, but I'll be keeping to the same general format. Might insert a few more of my own snarky comments and probably include some more trivia at the end because oh boy I love trivia. No change to the spoiler policy.

A thing I do want to do and what I originally planned to ask Seneiro about some time ago is open up for the possibility of some guest episodes; if anyone has some episode they'd really like to do the writeup of, do post about it and I can reserve a spot for you! Just, 1) I reserve the right to say no because there are a number of episodes I really want to do (obviously because otherwise I wouldn't have wanted to take over), and B) Let's not plan too far ahead so for the time being only episodes up until the end of season 2 are "available".

Something something joining forces as one

KennyMan666 fucked around with this message at 23:50 on Jul 29, 2021

KennyMan666
May 27, 2010

The Saga

Season 1, Episode 8: Princess Prom

We open in Bright Moon, where Adora has been sent an invite to something called the "All-Princess Ball, Winter Wonderland". Thorougly confused, she goes to Glimmer and Bow for advice.

It's a good episode but you don't need to scream their names

She finds them less than helpful.

Adora: "Okay, you've gone crazy. I'll come back later."

Before Adora manages to get away, Bow and Glimmer manage to explain it's a party happening once a decade where all the princesses of Etheria meet. With food, fancy dresses, and—not to Adora's liking—dancing. She's not sure if she should go since she's not always a princess, but Glimmer reassures her, with Bow adding that it's all in the invite. The very long invite.

Bow: "The ball has been going on for centuries. There's a lot of really old etiquette stuff."

Glimmer mentions that the ball will take place in the Kingdom of Snows, with Princess Frosta as the host, who Glimmer thinks would be a huge get for the rebellion. This does not make Adora any less anxious about it, so Glimmer again reassures her by saying she'll be there with her, and so will Bow as Glimmer's bringing him as her plus one.

Bow: "About that."
Glimmer: "It's the best friend squad in action! Right, Bow?"
Bow: "I'm going with Perfuma."
Glimmer: "What?"

Cue the theme song!

When we come back from that, we're now in the Fright Zone, where Catra is venting her frustrations about Shadow Weaver to Scorpia (who's just overjoyed she gets to hang out with Catra in her room).

Catra: "Unfortunately, you're the only one I can trust around here."
Scorpia: "Because we're best friends?"
Catra: "Stop being so you and help me think!"

Catra has come to the conclusion that Shadow Weaver needs to be replaced as Hordak's second-in-command, and that she should be the one to take over. She's just not sure how to do that yet. Scorpia suggests trying something at the All-Princess Ball while reading the invite, since everybody's gonna be there. Catra questions how she got her claws on that invite, and to Catra's surprise, Scorpia explains she's a princess. The Horde crashlanded in the Scorpion kingdom, they let them stay and gave Hordak their runestone. This all was covered in Force Captain orientation, which Catra's starting to think she shouldn't have skipped. Scorpia's not planning on going to the ball, since nobody really liked her family even before the Horde dropped in. Catra argues that that's why she has to go, because how dare they act that way?

Catra: "How dare they take best friends and turn them into giant sword ladies, who run off with people clearly inferior to you?"
Scorpia: "You're telling my whole life with your words."

So the plan is that Scorpia goes to the ball, Catra comes along as her plus one, and they're going to make it a night nobody will forget.

Back in Bright Moon, Glimmer is hurt that Bow is going with Perfuma (turns out, Perfuma asked him during the battle against the Horde back in episode 4) instead of her, since going to events together (and having ice cream after) was their thing. Bow thinks there's nothing wrong with a new thing. Glimmer doesn't get a lot of time to mope before being literally pulled into Adora's prom prep, which has more in common with preparing for a battle than a party. Adora claims she's prepared for everything, so Glimmer wonders what she's going to wear. Adora says she was just gonna go as She-Ra, since she has better hair... but the ball is neutral ground, so Adora's not allowed to bring her sword into the ballroom, so no She-Ra. This excites Glimmer, because that means it's makeover time!

Cue the costume montage!

Adora's not quite comfortable with being Glimmer's dress-up target, but after a few false starts, Adora's done up in a simple red dress, and Glimmer in a somewhat more frilly purple ensemble. In the Fright Zone, Catra goes for (and absolutely rocks) a tuxedo, while Scorpia tries out some dresses, before settling on...

Pictured: The moment everyone probably went "Daaaaamn"

At the ball itself, Glimmer and Adora again discuss how good it would be to get Frosta on their side, while heading to greet their revered hostess. But for all the preparation she did, Adora had missed the fact that Princess Frosta's, like... ten years old.

Frosta: "I'm eleven and three quarters."

Despite the rocky start, Glimmer figures they have plenty of time to win Frosta over. Adora spots Entrapta, who's wearing the exact same clothes she did last time we saw her, having climbed up one of the pillars in the room to observe the, as she calls it, social experiment.

Entrapta: "Different groups are thrown together and forced to... mingle."

I'd just like to note that I'm showing an admirable amount of restraint in not quoting verbatim and screencapping everything Entrapta says and does in this episode, and in the recaps of any future episodes Entrapta are in for that matter

Bow and Perfuma are the next to arrive at the ball, and while Glimmer goes through another set of hurt feelings, they're joined by Mermista (introducing herself with a deadpan "Hey, I'm here too, don't make a big thing out of it." Did I mention I love Mermista's voice actress?) and Sea Hawk, who Mermista insists is just her ride and not her plus one (he is her plus one). Adora spots Frosta alone and takes the chance to apologize and talk to her, but Frosta makes it clear she's not interested in the Rebellion, since the Kingdom of Snows has defended itself for thousands of years and the Horde hasn't attacked them. She dejectedly reports her failure to Glimmer, which is right when Catra and Scorpia arrive at the ball. As they greet Frosta, Adora and Glimmer run up to warn Frosta that they're from the Horde and shouldn't be allowed in, but Catra argues that Scorpia was invited according to the rules, rules that they have the utmost respect for. Frosta agrees all princesses and their guests are welcome, so Scorpia and Catra gets to stay while Adora just makes herself look worse in front of Frosta. Adora makes her intent on stalking the duo for the rest of the ball clear, so of course, they split up. She asks Glimmer to keep an eye on Scorpia, while Adora follows her ex-best friend.

Catra, being Catra, proceeds to spend her time at the ball trolling Adora. Dropping a note in a trashcan leading to Adora digging through it in front of the other guests, before Adora spots her approaching Entrapta. Glimmer has meanwhile left Scorpia alone to go talk to Bow, to make things less weird between them... but when Bow expects an apology, instead Glimmer says that she forgives Bow, offending Bow further. As Bow heads off to get his cummerbund that he removed during the costume montage because he underestimated the temperature at the ball, Glimmer realizes she's lost sight of Scorpia. Adora catches up with Catra, who she thinks is about to push Entrapta off the balcony, buuuuut...

And this is not even in the top five most shippy moments in the episode

Entrapta: "Hi, Adora! Have you met my new assistant? She brought snacks."
Catra: "She stole my food, and then asked me to spy on people with her. Is this what love feels like?"

Adora warns Entrapta that Catra's from the Horde. The people the Rebellion are fighting. The Rebellion that Entrapta has to be reminded that she's part of, giving Catra time to just wander off. Bow finds Scorpia, though... in the process of planting heat bombs! He goes to warn some guards, but they instead grab him and Scorpia stings him with her tail, knocking him out. Scorpia has also stolen Adora's sword from the weapon check-in. In the main ballroom, unaware of all this, Frosta announces it's time for the first dance. Adora gets dragged down to the dance floor, and has no choice but to dance with whoever she ends up next to.

You all saw this coming

Adora tells Catra her plan won't work. Through switching partners, Adora learns from Glimmer and Perfuma that Bow's been gone for a while, and left at about the same time as Scorpia, before having to deal with Catra again.

Catra: "Maybe my plan won't work. But then again... maybe it already has."

Subtle

Catra mentions Bow, making Adora go ballistic and cause a scene. As she tries to make Catra fess up, Princess Frosta traps Adora under some ice. Stating that violence is forbidden, she revokes Adora's invitation. But before she can finish banishing Adora from the kingdom, Scorpia's heat bombs go off, throwing the guests into panic. Catra explains to Adora that she really didn't do anything other than distract Adora—but Scorpia, Lonnie, and Kyle were quite busy. A falling pillar frees Adora, and she chases after the escaping Catra. Glimmer finds Bow being dragged away by Lonnie and Kyle, disguised as guards. She dispatches them, but Scorpia stings her too.

Frosta has headed to her runestone to stop the palace from falling apart, and with the now floating ice chunks as stepping stones, Adora and Catra end up on the roof and continue their fight. Adora dodges one of Catra's strikes while standing on the edge, causing Catra to fall off. Adora isn't about to let that happen, so she grabs her by the waist and pulls her up.

SUBTLE

The shaking from the castle rebuilding itself causes them both to fall, though. Adora stops the fall with their hairpin, but Catra lets go of Adora's hand, followed by Scorpia's scorpion ship flying up through the clouds, showing Adora the kidnapped Bow and Glimmer, and that her sword has been stolen. Catra laughs, Adora cries...

...and cue end credits.

Next time on She-Ra and the Princesses of Power, we go on a daring rescue mission in which everyone does exactly what they're supposed to and absolutely nothing goes wrong.

---

Trivia time!
This is the first episode in which She-Ra does not appear outside of the opening theme.

There's also a lot of cameos in this episode, so let's get through them. Starting with some references to the 80's She-Ra show!

During her prom prep, Adora mentions Sweet Bee, Prince Peekablue, and The Star Sisters, all names from the original show. Peekablue was a woman in that one, however. The Star Sisters are briefly seen at the ball.

The second dress that Scorpia tries on is clearly meant to invoke 80's Scorpia.

Lah-See is at the ball. She was the girlfriend of Loo-Kee (who was referenced by Razz back in her episode) who was hidden in each episode and delivered the moral at the end.

And while not exactly a cameo, but easy to miss, Entrapta's kitchen employee Soda Pop can be seen in some crowd shots, explaining who her plus one was.

And then... one that's technically not a spoiler, but pointing it out makes it slightly so, so you should probably only check out this early appearance of a certain someone you might have missed on your first watch if you've already finished watching the show.

Then there's the creator cameos, the known ones being:

Showrunner Noelle Stevenson and their then-girlfriend, now-wife Molly Knox Ostertag (with the glasses).

Writer Shane Lynch, and storyboard artists Diana Huh and Megan Lloyd. There's also this guy that I'm almost certain has to be a cameo given how out of place he looks, but I don't know who he might be.

---

Now, did this recap end up a little too long? You bet your gay Etherian rear end it did, and I am going to try to keep them shorter in the future (and I even edited this down a bit), with less screenshots. But this is the other best episode of season one, and the pivotal episode of the season. The prior episodes have mostly been character introductions and worldbuilding, but without spoiling too much, this is the episode that starts a continuous chain of events leading all the way into the season finale.

KennyMan666 fucked around with this message at 11:45 on Aug 6, 2021

Senerio
Oct 19, 2009

Roëmænce is ælive!
Princess Prom is great, and is the moment I realized that the Horde were objectively superior to the princess alliance character wise, and it wasn't just my opinion.

MonsieurChoc
Oct 12, 2013

Every species can smell its own extinction.
Hopefully that dude with glasses is not the Nostalgia Critic.

twistedmentat
Nov 21, 2003

Its my party
and I'll die if
I want to
Do you think Catra wears that suit when she an Adora go out on date night?

Larryb
Oct 5, 2010

I recall correctly this isn’t the last time we see her in that suit either (it’s a good look for her honestly), or it could just be for the duration of this story arc (I forget).

Larryb fucked around with this message at 15:03 on Aug 3, 2021

KennyMan666
May 27, 2010

The Saga

Season 1, Episode 9: No Princess Left Behind

Last time on She-Ra and the Princess of Power, the Rebellion was struck a significant blow. The Horde has not only kidnapped Glimmer and Bow, but also stolen the Sword of Protection that allows Adora to transform into She-Ra—the Rebellion's greatest asset.

In the Black Garnet Chamber, Catra is gloating about this fact to Shadow Weaver. She succeeded where even Shadow Weaver failed. But Hordak opens communications, praising Shadow Weaver for the capture of Glimmer and stating that Queen Angella has been given until sunrise to surrender. Shadow Weaver proceeds to completely neglect to mention anything about Catra having been the one to pull it off... because Catra is Shadow Weaver's underling.

Shadow Weaver: "Therefore, anything you manage to do right is credited to me."
Catra: "So I do all the work and you get the glory?"
Shadow Weaver: "Sometimes, that's just the way of things."

Catra storms out, and we're shown Glimmer held in magic restraints. Shadow Weaver wisher her welcome to the Fright Zone before we're treated to the theme song.

Back in Bright Moon, Queen Angella's sitting in the meeting room, dejected, wishing she had never let Glimmer leave and now faced with an impossible decision. Adora walks in, and Angella states she will agree to Hordak's terms. Adora argues that they have no guarantee that the Horde will hold up their end and wants to rescue them since she knows the Fright Zone, but Angella is doubtful and Adora admits she has no idea how she'd do it. Walking out, Adora starts crying, when suddenly flowers start falling in front of her. Turning to the window, she's met by...

From left to right: Bassist, singer, lead guitarist, drummer. Change my mind.

The new Princess Alliance isn't going to sit and do nothing when the Horde took one of them, so it's time for their first official mission.

In the Fright Zone prison, Kyle brings Bow a meal (and drops it on the floor when the forcefield closes on his wrists). Bow strikes up conversation with him, which Kyle responds to since normally no one really talks to him. Bow asks where Glimmer is, but that information is classified, so Kyle has no idea. Bow wants Kyle to give her a message, but he leaves.

Meanwhile, Adora plans the rescue with the Alliance. There is no way I can make this scene justice in writing, but I'll try. Glimmer's boot gets to represent the prison, Entrapta is a perfume bottle, Perfuma some nail polish, Mermista a lipstick...

Mermista: "Ew, do you know what that stuff is made of? I'll be this knife."
Entrapta: "I feel like Perfuma should be the perfume bottle, that makes the most logical sense."
Perfuma: "Maybe I could be a flower."
Sea Hawk: "Could I be this miniature painted model of Bow?"
Adora: "No!"

Etheria is safe with our crack team of princesses.

Starting from here, Adora explains the plan while we're also shown the plan being carried out in the Fright Zone, cutting between it and Bright Moon. The plan is to enter through the scrapyard, where Perfuma and Entrapta will go to the security tower and wait for Adora's signal to disable the lights. Mermista will swim through the Fright Zone sewer system—

Mermista: "I'm sorry, Mermista will... what?"

(to this day, this might be my favourite line in the whole show. The delivery is just so incredibly perfect.)

But, she's the only one who can breathe underwater. Adora and Sea Hawk will neutralize the guards, and then Entrapta and Perfuma will join them and wait for Mermista to open the door from the inside.

Sea Hawk: "Adventure!"

With everyone in position (and no more cutting back to the planning scene), Entrapta (who's excited over all the tech she can find in the Fright Zone) disables the lights. Adora punches out the guards, but Mermista hasn't reached the door yet. Perfuma finds Entrapta geeking out over a scrap-collecting robot, and has to drag her away using some vines. To make matters worse, Scorpia comes by, and Sea Hawk claims he's the inspector, who's come to... inspect... all the things. Scorpia is successfully fooled.

Same, Adora, same

Perfuma and Entrapta show up, with Perfuma complaining about how hard teamwork can be with Entrapta. The door opens, with Adora getting ready to fight, but revealing a rather messy Mermista.

Mermista: "Could you not?"
Adora: "Huuh? What happened to you?"
Mermista: "Uh, the sewer happened to me."

Finally inside, they hide in a closet... and Entrapta is gone again, having seen a keypad and status screen in the corridor, occupying her interest until the scrap bot runs by again. Following that, she finds herself face to face with one of the Horde's combat bots.

Entrapta, nervously: "Hello to you, too. Ehehehehe..."

In the Black Garnet chamber, Glimmer tries teleporting out of her magic restraints, which does not go well. Shadow Weaver tells Glimmer that Angella is coming to surrender herself in exchange for Glimmer and that the Horde has the Sword. Outside, Sea Hawk finishes his "inspection", and Scorpia thinks that he's familiar . She realizes he was at the Princess Prom, and while trying to talk himself out of a fight, the word DUCK blinks on a nearby screen. While Scorpia wonders where the duck is, a crane comes swinging, knocking her away. Entrapta appears riding the combat robot she encountered before, admitting she wasn't sure who she was gonna hit with the crane.

In the prison block, Adora tries to find Glimmer in the records, but to no avail. A robot comes through a nearbo door... followed by Entrapta, who introduces her new robot friend Emily that she reprogrammed. She deposits Sea Hawk with Mermista before they enter the prison, taking out the guards and taking command of the prison controls.

Not pictured: Entrapta's adorable excited squeaking

With Entrapta at the controls, and Mermista staying with her to make sure she doesn't trail off again, they plan to free Bow first and then find Glimmer. At the same time, Kyle approaches Bow's cell, telling him that Glimmer is in the Black Garnet Chamber and that Shadow Weaver will exchange her for the queen... because Bow will actually listen to him, even if he doesn't have a choice. Adora, Perfuma and Sea Hawk head for Bow, but Lonnie and Rogelio spots them, leading to a fight on the moving walkways. Bow keeps Kyle occupied with conversation to keep him from noticing it, until Sea Hawk comes and throws him away. Rogelio tries taking back the prison controls, but Mermista and Entrapta send him flying with some teamwork. Bow tells Adora where Glimmer is when the alarms start blaring, and they start escaping. Adora brings them to a series of vents that'll let them get outside and steal a skiff, but each chamber is sealed and purged with fire before the next one can open, so they have to hurry through. Adora doesn't go with them, intending to find Glimmer. She gives herself up and tells the guards to take her to Shadow Weaver. With Adora strapped to a table and Glimmer stuck in the magic restraints, Shadow Weaver shows up and tells Catra to go to the Force Captain barracks and pack her things, now that Adora is back.

Catra: "Seriously? After everything I've done for you, it's still her you want?"

Catra leaves and Adora says she'll stay if Glimmer gets to go. Shadow Weaver announces her intent to mindwipe Adora of everything having to do with the Rebellion and She-Ra, so Adora will be happy to see Glimmer as a prisoner after that. She starts the process, while Glimmer can just look on in horror.

The others make their way through the vents, with Emily opening each door. Bow wants to go back for Adora, but Perfuma says they have to follow Adora's plan and they're going to wait with a skiff.

Perfuma: "No princess will be left behind."

Glimmer keeps trying to teleport, and working through the pain, manages to get herself free, punching Shadow Weaver in the face and freeing Adora. as the others reaching the exit. However, Emily's cable gets stuck in the final chamber, prompting Entrapta to run back in for her. Perfuma tries to stop her as the door closes, trapping Entrapta and Emily inside as the fire goes off...

Adora and Glimmer reach a dead end as a door traps them. Glimmer tries teleporting, but it doesn't work. They hear a sound, and turn to see Catra coming towards them, dragging the Sword of Protection against the wall. She points the sword towards them... before flipping it around, handing it to Adora.

Catra: "This is not because I like you."

Adora transforms into She-Ra, letting them easily escape and meet up with the others on the skiff. Adora questions where Entrapta is, and is informed by the dejected group that she didn't make it. Adora wants to go back for her, but...

Bow: "No, she's... she's really gone."

Next time on She-Ra and the Princesses of Power, we fondly remember our dearly departed Princess Entrapta, gone forever.

Trivia Pursuit
When Adora is leading the others towards the exit chambers, there's some rather noticeable layering issues going on with the characters (look at Bow and Sea Hawk).

KennyMan666 fucked around with this message at 19:59 on Aug 6, 2021

Cattail Prophet
Apr 12, 2014

I can't believe Entrapta is loving dead.

XboxPants
Jan 30, 2006

Steven doesn't want me watching him sleep anymore.
I love Vella Lovell so much. Very glad this thread is back. You're going great, new recap person whose name I forget.

Hispanic! At The Disco
Dec 25, 2011

KennyMan666 posted:

Sea Hawk: "Could I be this miniature painted model of Bow?"
Adora: "No!"

They cut away before we find out what they use to represent Sea Hawk, but later we see this:

There's a comb with a moustache on the playing field.

KennyMan666
May 27, 2010

The Saga

Season 1, Episode 10: The Beacon

Last time on She-Ra and the Princess of Power, the Princess Alliance rescued Glimmer, Bow, and the Sword of Protection from the Horde. But during the mission, Entrapta was lost in the Fright Zone and seemingly burned to death...

The episode starts immediately after the last one, as Sea Hawk steers the stolen Horde skiff into a forest clearing. The now slightly smaller Alliance has become thoroughly demoralized by the loss of one of their own. Adora blames herself, while Mermista and Perfuma say that operating as a group is what made them vulnerable to something like this.

Mermista: "Maybe there's a reason the Princess Alliance fell apart before. Maybe this whole thing was a bad idea."

Mermista doesn't want to be a part of it anymore, and Perfuma silently agrees. Each princess returns to their kingdom, Perfuma tearfully grows a memorial to Entrapta, and while Frosta wasn't with them, the news has reached her and she seals off her kingdom with a huge barrier of ice. With the Princess Alliance once again broken, Adora, Glimmer, and Bow return to Bright Moon, where Queen Angella is happy to have Glimmer back and gives her a big hug before the opening theme plays.

The queen can tell something is wrong, because Glimmer usually teleports away from her hugs. Glimmer says she just has to recharge, so she is to be taken to the Moonstone. Angella has also gotten word of Entrapta's demise, and wants to know what happened during the mission. Adora wants to take the blame, but Glimmer wants her mother to leave them alone for a little bit. Glimmer's still glitching after what Shadow Weaver did, and doesn't want her mother to know. Believing it'll make her better, she goes to recharge at the Moonstone.

The Fright Zone is also dealing with the aftermath of last episode, with Hordak chewing Shadow Weaver out for losing Glimmer and knowing that Adora was She-Ra, thereby inviting attack from someone familiar with the Fright Zone. Catra sees no need to mention it was her plan, before the camera pans to show a pair of pink circles inside a vent.

Glimmer has finished recharging, but is still glitching. Angella enters the Moonstone chamber, wondering if her daughter is feeling better.

This is pretty much peak bestfriendsquad.jpg

The best friend squad again leaves an annoyed Angella, who just wants to talk to her daughter.

Catra revels in Shadow Weaver being blamed for what happened, when a robot starts following her and Scorpia. Catra, in one of her "literally just a cat" moments starts smelling something. ("Yeah. Yeah, that's... that's concrete." -Scorpia) Crawling up to a pipe vent, she tears the cover off of it—and out falls Entrapta!

Glimmer thinks her glitching's just like a cold and asks Adora what she does when she's sick. Adora says she remains out of sight, since displays of physical weakness are discouraged in the Horde. Again, she blames what happened on herself, because she's not been training. Bow tries giving actual advice and Glimmer goes to take a nap. In her bed. That's suspended from the ceiling that she normally teleports up to.

Glimmer: "Give me a boost?"

Bow tries helping Glimmer up to the bed while Adora thinks that maybe the sword can heal Glimmer, since it healed the trees in Plumeria and fixed the Sea Gate. Bow's hesitant, but Glimmer's up for it.

Catra has restrained Entrapta, restraints that she casually uses her hair to pick open as Catra and Scorpia comes in. Hordak has tasked Catra with interrogating her, so she threatens her with a stun baton... that Entrapta grabs with her hair and starts asking questions about. Catra takes it back, and Entrapta explains she was waiting for her friends to get back, and wanted to make it easier for them by staying put. Catra implies they abandoned her, which Entrapta argues against before loosening her hands and starts asking questions about Scorpia's tail. Catra starts scratching Entrapta's hair, noting that it's just like Adora to leave people behind, and that the princsses just care about people who are like them.

Catra: "But you're not like them, are you?"

Pictured: The exact moment Entrapta unquestionably became Best Character. Who also needs a hug.

Entrapta starts recording another audio log, noting it's been too many hours if her friends were meaning to come back. Realizing this, she starts crying, but Catra wipes her face with her tail and notes she could be herself in the Horde, and to think about what they could accomplish together. Entrapta notes she's made more progress in hiding in the Fright Zone than in a whole life in freedom outside, like making Emily, who gets introduced by blasting the wall behind Catra and Scorpia.

Catra: "Those princesses have no idea who they've left behind."

Adora has no actual idea how to heal with the sword, so she just swings it around and tries chanting. Bow wants to stop messing around with sharp objects, because he cares about sword safety. The sword starts glowing, but it doesn't help, so Adora yeets it, pointy end first, into the wall.

Bow: "SWORD SAFETY!"

Catra's impressed with Entrapta, who's once again been restrained along with Emily. Entrapta casually slips out of and back into the restraints while mentioning that she could do even more with some First Ones tech. Catra's interested in where it could be found, and Entrapta mentions having tracked a signal that has to be a massive stash in the Whispering Woods. She hands Catra an electronic map, and tells Scorpia to keep an eye on her while she checks it out.

Entrapta, having forgotten she's supposed to be restrained: "I wanna build something biiiiiig."

I just can't get enough of Entrapta not even remotely acknowledging that she's supposed to be a prisoner

Adora wonders what she's good for it she can't even heal one person. Angella knocks on Glimmer's door and requests requires Glimmer to have dinner with her in an hour. Adora notes that one thing the Horde was right about is training, and she can't train if she doesn't know anything about She-Ra. She figures she can find answers in the First Ones ruin that Razz showed her, so being Adora, she jumps out the window.

Adora: "Ow."
Bow: "She's okay!"

In the Fright Zone, Shadow Weaver approaches Catra who's packing for her trip. Catra's not interested in telling her where she's going, but notices Shadow Weaver is extremely winded for some reason. Catra tries reassuring her that you get used to being yelled at (because Shadow Weaver's yelled at her so much), but Shadow Weaver doesn't want her pity. She does admit she's been hard on Catra, but won't apologize and just wanted Catra to be strong. She declares that she is strong now, and doesn't need Shadow Weaver.

...meanwhile in Bright Moon, Bow and Glimmer are both blaming themselves for what happened now. Bow for going with Perfuma to prom which led to him being kidnapped, Glimmer for letting herself be distracted from Scorpia. They apologize and hug, but Glimmer starts glitching during the embrace.

Bow: "It hurts so much."

Glimmer wants to start a fire to get out of dinner. Bow vetoes the idea, and Glimmer has to go to dinner alone with her mom. Angella wants to talk about what happened, but Glimmer starts glitching, revealing the affliction to Angella. Glimmer feels like a disappointment, and thinks her mom doesn't understand.

Glimmer: "Entrapta died trying to rescue me and the Princess Alliance is over and Shadow Weaver did something to my powers! I'm sorry I couldn't be perfect like you! You have no idea what it feels like to be such a screwup!"
Angella: "I don't know how you feel? I got your father killed!"

For the first time, Glimmer learns that Angella ordered the battle where Micah died, and she's never forgiven herself for it. Glimmer admits she was ashamed, and acted without thinking, leading her right in to the Horde's trap. Mother and daughter both admit to each other they feel like they're failures, but Angella tells Glimmer to keep fighting, like she should have done back then. Angella assures her that the Alliance can come back.

In the Whispering Woods, Adora and Catra are both searching for their target, but the Woods aren't cooperating. Both of them are about to give up when Adora spots a bright light, leading her right to the ruin. But Catra sees it (and Adora) too.

Catra: "Hey, Adora."

Next time on She-Ra and the Princesses of Power, Adora and Catra go on a completely spider-free date.

Larryb
Oct 5, 2010

Entrapta is the loving best, that is all (and if I recall correctly in the 80’s series she was only a bit character who appeared in just a handful of episodes so this is a definite improvement)

twistedmentat
Nov 21, 2003

Its my party
and I'll die if
I want to
Entrapta and Hordak becoming actual friends is probably the best thing in the series.

Also I've always wondered, is that a stain on her shirt but does she have a heart shaped symbol on her shirt?

Hobbes
Sep 12, 2000
Forum Veteran
Dinosaur Gum

twistedmentat posted:

Also I've always wondered, is that a stain on her shirt but does she have a heart shaped symbol on her shirt?

She's an absent minded grease monkey in the She-ra universe, so its almost certainly a stain that just so happens to be in a heart shape.

KennyMan666
May 27, 2010

The Saga

Definitely an oil stain. Entrapta's not big on keeping clean. Remember that in her introductory episode, she stated that the robots take care of her basic hygiene. She wore that outfit, including stained shirt, to Princess Prom and I could totally buy that she doesn't have any other clothes.

The stain is missing in this scene of E09, though.

So anyway, while I said I wasn't planning on having a set weekday for updates, since I have the next few updates in the pipe already, for the time being I think I'll be posting them on Mondays and Fridays, doing two updates per week to make up for the long gap between episodes 7 and 8.

Larryb
Oct 5, 2010

She doesn’t, if I remember right Entrapta wears the same outfit for the entire series

KennyMan666
May 27, 2010

The Saga

Larryb posted:

She doesn’t, if I remember right Entrapta wears the same outfit for the entire series
The only exception is the spacesuit in the final season but she was probably wearing her regular clothes under that anyway.

Now, this isn't something that's entirely unique to Entrapta—there are a number of other characters (not main, but recurring enough) that, as far as I can remember, wears the same thing in all of their appearances (even when not counting cases where it's obviously a uniform, like the Bright Moon captain of the guard). Entrapta's just the only one of them where I can entirely believe the reason for that being that it's the only clothes she actually owns, rather than animation convenience.

Senerio
Oct 19, 2009

Roëmænce is ælive!
Next episode is the episode that I lost the recap of and that killed my motivation to continue because it took me a while to watch it again lmao.

I was gonna finish the season and then post the updates weekly and then that happened.

KennyMan666
May 27, 2010

The Saga

Bet you expected a recap of S01E11, Promise, when you clicked on this thread today.

Intermission #1: Origin of a Hero

So, what's all this then, you ask? Well, as the headline says, this is the first intermission in this Let's Watch, breaking up the episode recaps a bit. Specifically, it's the first of nine planned ones. Originally I had planned for only four, having them come only between seasons, but that idea fell apart for a variety of reasons, including but not limited to my inability to not be overambitious. So in addition to intermissions between the seasons, there will also be one roughly halfway through each season. This one an exception for obvious reasons.

In these intermissions, we will be (mostly) looking at official She-Ra and the Princesses of Power media outside of the show itself. The format of these will be a little different from the episode recaps, a bit less "formal", and the length is going to be... variable. The episode recaps I try to keep at roughly similar lengths, but no such considerations will be made for the intermissions. This one gets long in part because of this intro.

We will be starting with the first SPoP book that was released—Origin of a Hero. Written by Tracey West and published by Scholastic, it came out in April of 2019, four days after season 2 had been released on Netflix. Chronologically, however, it starts even before season 1, which is why I'm doing it during this season (and this was also literally the only workable slot for it), and putting it between episodes 10 and 11 isn't only because that falls in the middle of the six S1 episodes I am doing. I will note that there are some very mild call-forwards, but I can't really call them spoilers. So let's get into it.

The book starts with some information about Etheria and a character gallery, which we're mostly not gonna worry about as there's no new information there... but I do feel a need to quote the first sentence of Catra's description: "Catra and Adora were both orphans and were close growing up in the Horde; they thought of themselves as sisters."

...yeah, about that.

(so I do have a bit of a musing on that, which I will put in spoilers since it does touch on some later stuff: It's one of those things that I don't think is entirely wrong, but it's not exactly right either. In their time with the Horde, Adora and Catra just didn't have much if any context for either romantic or familial relationships—remember that Adora didn't even know what an aunt was—so putting words on exactly what they were during their Horde days is... complicated.)

It also doesn't mention at all that Netossa and Spinnerella are married. Oh well.

On to the chapters!

Chapter 1: Adora and Catra
In the Fright Zone, Adora and Catra are digging through a pile of rubble that they've been coming back to since they were small, looking for shiny stones (that Shadow Weaver had told them were just chunks of silica affected by the heat from the foundry). Adora finds one she tries to give to Catra, but she doesn't want it.

Catra: "You can keep it. It matches your eyes."
Adora: "Aw, you are so sweet."
Catra: "Ew! You did not just say that about me. Take it back!"

No, Catra, you really are sweet here

They're interrupted by a call for training, and race to the barracks. Together with the rest of their cadet team, they get a review about Beast Island and what might get them sent there before it's time for lunch. A squad of soldiers walk by, on their way to liberate Elberon, and Adora vows to one day become force captain and free Etheria from the rule of the princesses.

Chapter 2: Princess Glimmer Breaks the Rules
Glimmer's been stationed in Elberon for a few weeks on order by Angella. The mayor insists Elberon is safe, and Glimmer realizes that that's probably why her mother sent her there instead of the front lines. But during a harp recital, the Horde attacks. The Elberonians want to retreat, but Glimmer decides to go on the offense. She finds that Elberon's only defense line is one outpost with four archers, so she decides to use her powers to fight for the first time. With teleports and sparkle blasts, she takes out the first wave, but runs out of magic when the second appears. The mayor pulls Glimmer away from the battle and takes her back to Bright Moon.

Chapter 3: Snake!
Bedtime in the Fright Zone. Catra slides into Adora's bunk (no, seriously, the book straight up says "she gracefully slid into Adora's bunk", just in case you thought there was any ambiguity remaining), and the two of them talk about wanting to see the rest of Etheria. Adora mentions feeling a connection to something without knowing why. Suddenly Octavia (who we haven't been introduced to in the show yet) screams, and it turns out that Catra had left a (harmless) snake in her bunk. Adora removes the snake, but Octavia and Catra start fighting. One of Octavia's teammates grabs Catra, so Adora jumps in to assist her friend. Together, they win the impromptu tag wrestling match, but then Shadow Weaver walks floats in.

Chapter 4: Commander's Pet
Shadow Weaver admonishes the cadets for making noise the night before a training exercise. Adora downplays it as best she can, then lightly admonishes Catra for almost getting them into trouble (but agreeing Octavia's scream was pretty funny). Catra brings up that Adora's not even going to have to try tomorrow since Shadow Weaver thinks everything Adora does is great. Adora protests, but recalls an incident where both of them had climbed to the roof, and Catra got scolded while Adora got praised for her climbing skills. Catra reminisces about when she got to the Fright Zone, and how Adora latched on to her and has been the only one who's been nice to her, even if she sucks up to Shadow Weaver. She then drifts off to sleep while listening to Adora's breaths beneath her (also a direct quote from the book. So, y'know).

You'd think she'd at least take off that mask (?) when she sleeps

Chapter 5: Evaluation Day
At this point, the book largely becomes a novelization of the first episode and half of the second, so I'm not going to spend a whole lot of time on the rest of the chapters. Read Senerio's recaps for that. This chapter covers the training exercise at the start of E01, with the only notable addition being Adora's thoughts about Catra not taking the training seriously, thinking that will hurt their chances of being assigned to a squad.

Chapter 6: A Bittersweet Reward
This chapter covers the post-exercise scene in the locker room. Adora gets some thoughts about how it's not her fault that Shadow Weaver gives Catra a hard time, and that it would be good if Catra played by the rules sometimes. After Adora gets the badge, she also thinks that while she always wanted to be force captain, she didn't want it like this—without her friends.

Chapter 7: Back in Bright Moon
Glimmer's brought back to Bright Moon, and this very short chapter only covers the introductory conversation between Glimmer and Angella, only adding one line of Glimmer's thoughts: "How can I ever be a Rebellion commander if Mom won't let me rebel against anything?!"

Chapter 8: Into the Whispering Woods
Catra is annoyed since she was the one who finished off the robot in the training, not Adora. Then we get the scenes from where Catra finds Adora outside after getting her badge, up until Adora falls off the "borrowed" skiff in the Whispering Woods.

Chapter 9: Bow's Plan
Entirely the scene with Bow contacting Glimmer and Glimmer sneaking out. Just a little bit of extra narrative text about Glimmer's hopes for First Ones tech, and how it could win them the war.

Chapter 10: Adora's Vision
Adora finds the sword. At first she thinks she had a dream while knocked out, but realizes it had to have been real. She goes back to the woods and runs into Bow and Glimmer, and the chapter ends when Adora manages to touch the sword again.

Chapter 11: Light Hope's Challenge
From Adora talking to Light Hope, to the appearance of the giant insect, which is notably referred to as a robot insect in the book, something that I don't think the show ever hints at. Adora gets some extra internal lines doubting that nice princesses exist, and more disbelief regarding the Horde's actions.

Chapter 12: For the Honor of Grayskull!
Just the rest of E01. No additions to speak of.

Chapter 13: The First Ones
Covers the start of E02, up to when Adora activates the mural of She-Ra. Once again, some extra lines from Adora, where she can tell from Glimmer's emotions that the Horde has to have done terrible things, but she still finds it hard to believe, as well as a realization that the sword really only will respond to her.

Chapter 14: Adora's Choice
Adora sums up her thoughts as the hologram tries communicating with her: "Princesses might not be evil. First Ones disappeared a thousand years ago. Somehow I turn in to a princess named She-Ra?" When worrying about Glimmer, Adora wonders when she started worrying about princesses. The chapter, and indeed the book, ends with Adora following Glimmer and Bow instead of going back to the Fright Zone, adding some extra emphasis on that the only thing making it anything other than a very easy decision for her is that she really doesn't want to leave Catra behind.

The only real thing to note about the last few chapters is that after Adora goes back for the sword, the book never cuts back to the Fright Zone, so the scenes with Shadow Weaver and Catra are all missing. Could have been cool to get some more of Catra's thoughts there, but oh well.

The most notable thing about the book in my opinion is that it gives some more insight into Adora and Catra's pre-sword Horde life when they were at the age they are at the beginning of the show, something the show itself kinda omits. There will certainly be flashbacks to their past together, but that particular period of it is missing.

Other than that... it's just the first one-and-a-half episodes in book form. The additions aren't major. But was still fun to take a look at.

In the next intermission, animals!

KennyMan666 fucked around with this message at 07:50 on Aug 13, 2021

Senerio
Oct 19, 2009

Roëmænce is ælive!
I'm glad we've established that thread news involves gay finger guns in some form.

maltesh
May 20, 2004

Uncle Ben: Still Dead.
Octavia just can't catch a break.

KennyMan666
May 27, 2010

The Saga

Season 1, Episode 11: Promise

Last time on She-Ra and the Princess of Power, the Princess Alliance fell apart, Glimmer kept glitching, and Entrapta ended up being alive but stuck in the Fright Zone. Adora and Catra both went out looking for a First Ones ruin in the Whispering Woods, and found it at the same time...

The ruins open for Adora, and Catra sneaks in right before it closes. Adora makes her way to a big chamber with a platform, and a hologram appears asking what she's there for. Adora says she wants to heal her friend, something She-Ra can do according to the legends. The hologram is unresponsive until Adora transforms into She-Ra.

After the opening theme plays, Adora tries asking again. The hologram talks about the sword, mentioning I believe for the first time that it is a portable runestone, and that it can heal, but Adora wants to know how to do that.

Raise your hand if you've never done This Exact Face at your computer (in this scene alone there were like four other screencaps I could have chosen with the exact same caption)

Adora wants to talk to someone more helpful, and remembers Light Hope. The hologram says Light Hope has waited for She-Ra, and they will meat, but first, Adora must "let go", whatever that means. Meanwhile, Catra takes a crystal from a holder, causing Adora to notice her. The hologram announces that there's an unauthorized presence, and activates security protocols. The doors start closing, so Adora drags Catra with her and spiders start emerging from a passage. Escaping into another tunnel, more spiders start chasing them. Adora crushes the spider under some rubble, and they start talking.

Catra: "Why are you looking at me like that? Wait... no, I know what this is about. Ugh, I knew you'd be weird about me letting you escape. I told you it's not because I like you!"
Adora: "I mean, I didn't... I didn't say anything."

Adora's mad at Catra for kidnapping and cursing her friends, and Catra says she'll find her own way out, but there's only one direction open so they stick together. They come to a dark chamber ("Cool. You found the infinite darkness room."), and when Catra tries to leave the door is gone. They find a small red light that scans them, and suddenly their surroundings become the Fright Zone. It becomes clear it's an illusion, and Adora hears Catra calling out for her.

Oh

They see child versions of themselves, replaying a memory of when Catra had fought with Octavia, scratched her on the eyeball and called her a dumbface. Adora has Catra take her to Octavia... so she too can call her a dumbface. They run away, hand in hand, as Octavia chases them.

Verrrry subtle

Adora realizes it's tapping into their memories. Catra's annoyed at all the magic weirdness, and Adora notes she only does this because Catra's actions led to Glimmer being cursed. As they continue on, Adora asks why Catra did help her escape, and Catra responds by stating that she weren't going to let Shadow Weaver erase Adora's memory. They agree that they have some good memories of their time in the Fright Zone, even if Adora maintains that the Horde is evil and she can't go back... but she misses Catra.

Catra: "Wha- pff, I don't miss you! Get over yourself!"
Adora: "Not until you admit you like me!"
Catra: "I don't like you!"

They fall into another Fright Zone illusion, this time of the training room. Adora and Catra spar, with Catra pulling a feint and winning until Lonnie jumps in, gets defeated by Catra, and then Adora knocks out Catra. Catra's mad at Lonnie and claims she let Adora win, but heads to the locker room and cries into the mirror... from which a spider emerges and grabs the now back to current Catra. Adora hears her cries and runs after her, but Catra's pulled into the mirror. Using her claws she manages to free herself and starts ripping apart the head and eyes of the spider, before Adora appears and takes it out with a downstab. Catra just wants to get out, and while Catra's going on about how she didn't need to be rescued, Adora apologizes for leaving.

Adora: "I couldn't go back to the Fright Zone. Not after I saw what the Horde was really doing! I never wanted to leave you!"

Adora says she knows Catra's not a bad person, that she can join the Rebellion... and the Fright Zone illusion returns. Child Catra and Adora are climbing along some cables hanging from the ceiling, and spots the door to the Black Garnet Chamber open. They know they're definitely not allowed in there, so being kids, of course they go in there. Current Adora tells Catra she doesn't need to go in, but being Catra, of course she goes in there, followed by Adora. Shadow Weaver enters to recharge and takes off her mask, then notices the two kids. They try to escape, but Shadow Weaver seals the room and stops Catra with magic. She admonishes Catra, saying she expects such behaviour from her, but doesn't want her to drag Adora down as well. Adora protests that it was actually her idea, and Shadow Weaver states that she's only kept Catra around because Adora's fond of her. Adora begs for Shadow Weaver to stop, and is told she needs to keep Catra under control. As they leave, both the current and child versions of they duo argue about how Adora never protected Catra in any way that would put her on Shadow Weaver's bad side.

Catra: "When you left, who do you think took the fall for you? Who was protecting me then?"
Adora: "You don't have to let Shadow Weaver treat you like that anymore. You can leave, just like I did!"
Catra: "Oh, because I need to follow you everywhere you go?"
Adora: "I didn't mean it that way!

Catra's not having it, and finally answers why she gave the sword back to Adora in the Fright Zone... because she didn't want her to come back. The spiders come back, and Adora tries transforming, but the sword is knocked out of her hands. Catra runs down a corridor as old memories appear around her, until she finds herself in the Fright Zone sleeping quarters. Child Catra is sitting on Adora's bunk, wrapped in Adora's blanket, crying. Child Adora comes in to comfort her.

Child Adora: "Nothing really bad can happen as long as we have each other."
Both Catras, in unison: "You promise?"
Child Adora: "I promise."

Aaaaaw

Child Catra looks at current Catra before we see Adora fighting spiders next to a pit. The spiders dangle her over the pit and she falls down, holding onto their webbing, when Catra shows up and trashes the spiders before walking up to the edge of the pit. Adora asks Catra to help her, but Catra starts going on about how Adora was holding her back, and she was just the sidekick to Adora's hero. Adora says that's not how it was, Catra says she had wanted Adora to come back to the Horde, but has now realized her leaving was the best thing that happened to her. She cuts the webbing with the sword before throwing it down the pit and walking away. As Adora's hanging on, she sees Light Hope, who tells her to let go. Crying, she does, falling down the pit...

Catra: "Bye, Adora!"

...and in the Fright Zone, Entrapta's working on Emily while Scorpia tells her about her adventures with Catra, who walks in and wonders why Entrapta's loose. Remembering she's still supposed to be a prisoner, she jumps back into her restraints before Catra hands her the crystal she picked up. It turns out to be a data crystal, one better preserved than any Entrapta's seen before. But as Catra leaves, she hears Scorpia saying something that makes her wince...

Scorpia: "Oh, man, I knew Catra could do it! It's like I was telling you, she is the best friend ever!"

Next time on She-Ra and the Princesses of Power, we get formally introduced to a much beloved character.

maltesh
May 20, 2004

Uncle Ben: Still Dead.
Catra's claws are the most dangerous personal weapons in the entire show.

Larryb
Oct 5, 2010

maltesh posted:

Catra's claws are the most dangerous personal weapons in the entire show.

I kind of wish she had the ability to literally turn into a cat (or more specifically, a panther) like her OG counterpart did though.

KennyMan666
May 27, 2010

The Saga

Season 1, Episode 12: Light Hope

Last time on She-Ra and the Princess of Power, Catra burned her bridges with Adora, who fell down a pit. Catra also brought back a First Ones data crystal for Entrapta.

Adora falls. During the fall, windows of memories flash around her, before she wakes up in a chamber where Light Hope greets her. She wonders if it's real, before introducing herself to Light Hope. Light Hope says she's been waiting for Adora since she was an infant, but could not reach or protect her before, but has been watching her. Adora finds that creepy, and Light Hope tries another form that Adora finds worse, and tries to change into something else.

Adora: "Please stop!"

After the intro, we're in Bright Moon. Glimmer, still glitching, is wondering when Adora is coming back (and gets mad at the furniture). When trying to figure out what to do, a guard comes and tells Glimmer that something's here to see her. In walks the horse that She-Ra transformed, introducing himself as Swift Wind.

Bow, freaking out: "Our horse can talk!"

While Bow and Glimmer keeps being amazed, Swift Wind says that Adora's in trouble, since he can feel where she is and wants their help to go save her. Bow doesn't think Angella wants them to head out on another mission so soon, so Glimmer says they'll just sneak out and in again before she notices they're gone.

I just had to grab this frame for the old cartoon energy it has

Angella wanted to see why the guard escorted a horse to Glimmer's room, but doesn't find the reveal that it's a talking horse worth more than a raised eyebrow. She also had no intent on stopping them, instead ordering Commander Glimmer to find Adora and bring her back.

Angella: "...and please be careful."

In the Fright Zone, Catra has gotten a note. Entrapta pops out of a vent, having dropped said note on Catra previously. Entrapta's put together a lab from stuff she's... found.

Catra: "Where did all of this come from?"
Entrapta: "Oh, you know, here and there... rooms..."
Catra: "Were there people in these rooms?"
Entrapta: "Well... not when I went back to take the stuff."

Entrapta excitedly talks about her findings from the data crystal, findings that go entirely over Catra's head, so she asks Entrapta to talk like a normal person (Scorpia, meanwhile, is drawing stick figures holding hands.). Entrapta tries explaining in the most basic terms possible, frustrating Catra further, who just wants to know if Entrapta can upgrade the Horde's weapons. Entrapta says it's much bigger than that, that she's discovered that whatever the First Ones did to Etheria, it went deep, and drags them with her to show them her model of Etheria.

Back in the First Ones ruin, Adora wonders who exactly Light Hope is, and she calls herself Etheria's facilitator. She also explains that the First Ones came from beyond the stars to settle Etheria, and built the structure they are now in—the Crystal Castle. Light Hope explains that She-Ra is appointed to protect the planet, and that there's been many before her... but she's the first in a thousand years, as the line was broken by the previous She-Ra. Cutting between the two of them, Entrapta and Light Hope explain  that everything on the planet is connected, that the runestones grant the princesses power and She-Ra has to restore balance to Etheria by bringing the princesses together. The runestones are connected to the planet's power grid, in a delicate balance—as it turns out the entire planet can be considered First Ones tech.

Entrapta: "Which means, they're our best access point to hack the planet."

I had to get at least one screencap of Overly Excited Entrapta

Scorpia mentions that the Horde does have a runestone—the Black Garnet, making Entrapta even more excited. Catra says she'll get Entrapta the Black Garnet, despite what Shadow Weaver might think... and we then see that Imp has been spying on the trio, and reports back Entrapta's findings to Hordak.

Adora keeps trying to get answers about healing from Light Hope, and learns that Glimmer's connection to her runestone was disrupted. She-Ra will be able to do many things with training... but the training will take years. Adora can't wait that long to fix it.

Light Hope: "Yes. Your mission is to fix the planet."
Adora: "My mission is to help my friends. That's why I came here."

Light Hope argues that She-Ra has to help the entire planet, and that there was one before her who could not let go, in the previous She-Ra... Mara. She was overwhelmed by her powers, and what she did stranded Etheria in the empty dimension of Despondos, breaking the She-Ra line. Light Hope wants Adora to be the She-Ra that Mara could not be, and Adora says she'll come back once she's healed Glimmer. Light Hope shows her images of Glimmer, Bow, Catra, and Entrapta, and says Adora's friends are endangered by her presence. But Adora doesn't want to leave them.

Entrapta, meanwhile, is hooking up machinery in the Black Garnet chamber. Shadow Weaver angrily bursts in, but is interrupted by Hordak appearing on the screens in the room. He was intrigued by Entrapta's plans, and gave Catra and her team the go-ahead. Shadow Weaver protests, but since Entrapta has improved everything she's touched, Hordak says she gets to tinker with whatever she wants—including the Black Garnet, since he thinks Shadow Weaver has wasted its power on parlor tricks. Shadow Weaver lashes out with her magic, but Catra manages to dodge her attacks and strike the gem on her mask, depriving Shadow Weaver of her powers and sending her to the prison before telling Entrapta to activate the machines.

A very cathartic moment. If you're keeping count, that's twice that Shadow Weaver has been defeated by her protégés in the span of six episodes.

Entrapta: "Alright, everyone... let's get weeeird!

A power surge goes through the Black Garnet, causing a beam of energy to shoot up into the sky. In the Whispering Woods, where Glimmer, Bow, and Swift Wind are heading for Adora, animals start stampeding and it starts snowing, which has never happened in the woods before. Red lightning flashes in the sky, and they see the beam of light from the Crystal Castle, that Swift Wind manages to open. They find Adora on a crystal slab, in a deep sleep. Swift Wind tries contacting her as spiders appear, and Light Hope starts glitching out before Swift Wind appears in front of Adora.

Adora: "You can talk?"
Swift Wind: "I can see now why you're friends with Bow and Glimmer."

Okay, nobody likes Swift Wind, but I do enjoy this shot of him being 100% done with everyone in the Best Friend Squad

He explains Bow and Glimmer needs help, but Adora doesn't know how to make it out... and doesn't know if she should, to keep people safe. Swift Wind declares that's stupid, and that she should use her powers to help the people she loved. Adora declares she didn't become She-Ra to fulfill some destiny, but to help others and her attachments are part of her. She wakes up, transforms, and makes short work of the spiders. Heading out into the blizzard, Swift Wind carries them into the sky, where they see that the crazy weather is going on all over Etheria. They hurry towards Bright Moon, while Scorpia and Catra observe the chaos from the Fright Zone.

Scorpia: "Wow... what do you think it's doing?"
Catra: "I don't know... but I can work with this."

Next time on She-Ra and the Princesses of Power, everything's fine, no need to panic.

twistedmentat
Nov 21, 2003

Its my party
and I'll die if
I want to
I watched the very long Sarah Z video about Shipping Wars and apparently some people think Catra and Adora getting together at the end is incest because they are "basically sisters, which means they are sisters and therefor incest" and I'm like "what?".

And because of that She-Ra is irredeemable trash on the level of Steven Universe and Voltron.

It must be really hard to be that emotionally invested in the media you consume and cannot enjoy this shot

KennyMan666 posted:

Okay, nobody likes Swift Wind, but I do enjoy this shot of him being 100% done with everyone in the Best Friend Squad

Cattail Prophet
Apr 12, 2014

S1 Swifty is fine, there'll be plenty of time to hate him when he actually deserves it. :colbert:

evilmiera
Dec 14, 2009

Swiftwind is cool and good and I will not see that horse besmirched.

KennyMan666
May 27, 2010

The Saga

twistedmentat posted:

I watched the very long Sarah Z video about Shipping Wars and apparently some people think Catra and Adora getting together at the end is incest because they are "basically sisters, which means they are sisters and therefor incest" and I'm like "what?".
Despite how obvious it is, this does still fall under being spoilers for things that haven't happened yet. The spoiler policy in the first post still applies.

MonsieurChoc
Oct 12, 2013

Every species can smell its own extinction.
No one said Swift Wind.

twistedmentat
Nov 21, 2003

Its my party
and I'll die if
I want to

KennyMan666 posted:

Despite how obvious it is, this does still fall under being spoilers for things that haven't happened yet. The spoiler policy in the first post still applies.

Oops sorry. I forgot this was essentially a first watch thread.

KennyMan666
May 27, 2010

The Saga

twistedmentat posted:

Oops sorry. I forgot this was essentially a first watch thread.
Please put it in spoiler tags, then. I doubt anyone's actually following along as a first watch at this point, anyone who started when the thread started likely continued watching on their own. But still, someone might jump in later.

But even people who have already watched should post more (because there's already six updates on this page and I'd like a new page before the next one).

Senerio
Oct 19, 2009

Roëmænce is ælive!
I really liked Season 1, even if Promise takes me way too long to work up the energy to rewatch lmao.

Pththya-lyi
Nov 8, 2009

THUNDERDOME LOSER 2020

KennyMan666 posted:

But even people who have already watched should post more (because there's already six updates on this page and I'd like a new page before the next one).

I like Entrapta. She's good, actually

Larryb
Oct 5, 2010

Pththya-lyi posted:

I like Entrapta. She's good, actually

Entrapta is one of the most consistently good characters in the entire series IMO (which is impressive as if I remember right she was just a bit player in the OG She-Ra with only a handful of appearances)

Also fun fact, I think this is her VA’s only animation role (she mostly does live action stuff from what I can tell)

Senerio
Oct 19, 2009

Roëmænce is ælive!
As a whole, Catra's squad is better than Adora's.

Scorpia and Entrapta are better than Glimmer and Bow.

I'm generally more of a Catra fan than an Adora fan in general tho so I may be biased.

Madurai
Jun 26, 2012

Neither Entrapta's nor Scorpia's backstory were explored nearly enough for my liking. Entrapta at least was possibly old enough to have been alive at the previous Princess Alliance meltdown, if not old enough to have agency yet. Probably Scorpia too, though it's hard to get a read on what their exact ages are supposed to be.

Larryb
Oct 5, 2010

Come to think of it, do we get ANYONE’S actual ages on the show (I assume Adora and Catra are probably teenagers, maybe Glimmer and Bow as well)?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

KennyMan666
May 27, 2010

The Saga

Larryb posted:

Come to think of it, do we get ANYONE’S actual ages on the show (I assume Adora and Catra are probably teenagers, maybe Glimmer and Bow as well)?
Frosta, at eleven and three quarters. That's about it, though. Entrapta was confirmed outside of the show to be around 30 years old, while (save for Frosta) I'd put the rest of the current princesses (also Catra) at around 16-20. Scorpia has to be a bit older than that, given that she was already born and considered a princess by the time Hordak showed up, her grandfather was king of the scorpion people at the time, and Micah was by my estimate around 13-14 years old when that happened.