Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Stexils
Jun 5, 2008

HopperUK posted:

The Cratchits aren't meant to be poverty-stricken. Money is very tight for them but they have a house and firewood and Bob's job pays just about enough they aren't starving. Scrooge sees people living under bridges and such. The point is that he could easily afford to pay Bob more and make the family comfortable instead of struggling but he doesn't want to.

what? his son dies because he can't afford medical treatment

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Ghost Leviathan
Mar 2, 2017

Exploration is ill-advised.
The Cratchits are probably what we'd call the precariat nowadays; they're barely keeping by but pretty much any unforseen expense might tank them, and Scrooge doesn't pay Bob nearly enough for how important he is to Scrooge's business.

Facebook Aunt
Oct 4, 2008

wiggle wiggle

Stexils posted:

Before universal healthcare even financially comfortable people could die from unaffordable healthcare, or the wrong healthcare. Tiny Tim could have died from going to the charity hospital where doctors still scoff at handwashing instead of one of the newfangled hygiene ones.

Stexils
Jun 5, 2008

for real

quote:

Oh, a wonderful pudding! Bob Cratchit said, and calmly too, that he regarded it as the greatest success achieved by Mrs. Cratchit since their marriage. Mrs. Cratchit said that now the weight was off her mind, she would confess she had had her doubts about the quantity of flour. Everybody had something to say about it, but nobody said or thought it was at all a small pudding for a large family. It would have been flat heresy to do so. Any Cratchit would have blushed to hint at such a thing.

quote:

There was nothing of high mark in this. They were not a handsome family; they were not well dressed; their shoes were far from being water-proof; their clothes were scanty; and Peter might have known, and very likely did, the inside of a pawnbroker’s. But, they were happy, grateful, pleased with one another, and contented with the time; and when they faded, and looked happier yet in the bright sprinklings of the Spirit’s torch at parting, Scrooge had his eye upon them, and especially on Tiny Tim, until the last.

look just because all their clothes are old and patchy, and they can't afford shoes that don't leak, and they have to periodically sell things at the pawn shop to keep themselves afloat, and even on the biggest holiday they get all year they can't afford a large dessert, doesn't mean they're poor. i bet they have an xbox

HelleSpud
Apr 1, 2010
Because they're feeding eight people off a single income. They get their kids by the half dozen. Are they trying for a TLC show? Are they quiverfull? Did they not know better? After a couple you'd think they recognize a relationship between the Mrs' perpetually gravid state and Cratchit history of raw dogging.

Helith
Nov 5, 2009

Basket of Adorables

A shilling wasn't worth 20 pounds, there 20 shillings in a pound and 12 pence in a shilling. A shilling would be the equivalent of 5p today.

http://projectbritain.com/moneyold.htm

titties
May 10, 2012

They're like two suicide notes stuffed into a glitter bra

Helith posted:

A shilling wasn't worth 20 pounds, there 20 shillings in a pound and 12 pence in a shilling. A shilling would be the equivalent of 5p today.

http://projectbritain.com/moneyold.htm

According to officialdata.org, £1 in 1800 is equivalent to £85.92 today. At 20 shillings per pound a shilling would be equivalent to £4.29 in today's money.

CharlestheHammer
Jun 26, 2011

YOU SAY MY POSTS ARE THE RAVINGS OF THE DUMBEST PERSON ON GOD'S GREEN EARTH BUT YOU YOURSELF ARE READING THEM. CURIOUS!
I can’t tell if this conversation is real or a bit that y’all lost yourself in

Helith
Nov 5, 2009

Basket of Adorables

titties posted:

According to officialdata.org, £1 in 1800 is equivalent to £85.92 today. At 20 shillings per pound a shilling would be equivalent to £4.29 in today's money.

Ah, I should have been clearer, I didn’t mean that a shilling was worth 5p today but that because there are 20 5p’s in a pound it is the decimal equivalent of the shilling of which there were also 20 in a pound.
My grandad use to refer to 5 pence pieces as shillings.

Pookah
Aug 21, 2008

🪶Caw🪶

My mother was a young adult when the switch from pounds/shillings/pence to decimalization happened and she says they were all worried that the new currency would be super confusing. They had like, farthings, hapennies, pennies, thruppeny bits, sixpences, shillings, florins, half crowns, 10 shilling coins and that's just the coinage.

HopperUK
Apr 29, 2007

Why would an ambulance be leaving the hospital?
I didn't say they weren't poor. I said we're not meant to understand that they're the lowest of the low, the underclass. Perceptions of poverty in Victorian London were really hosed up. I didn't think it needed saying that anyone living that way now would be in horrendous straits.

e: at least that's what I meant, I don't think I'm expressing what I mean properly.

Gaius Marius
Oct 9, 2012

Pookah posted:

My mother was a young adult when the switch from pounds/shillings/pence to decimalization happened and she says they were all worried that the new currency would be super confusing. They had like, farthings, hapennies, pennies, thruppeny bits, sixpences, shillings, florins, half crowns, 10 shilling coins and that's just the coinage.

https://youtu.be/EosWw5RfLE8

Silver Falcon
Dec 5, 2005

Two, three, four, five, six, seven, eight and barbecue your own drumsticks!

HelleSpud posted:

Because they're feeding eight people off a single income. They get their kids by the half dozen. Are they trying for a TLC show? Are they quiverfull? Did they not know better? After a couple you'd think they recognize a relationship between the Mrs' perpetually gravid state and Cratchit history of raw dogging.

Right and birth control was so effective and widely available back then. :rolleyes:

Nitrox
Jul 5, 2002
Keep in mind, people without access to sex education may not necessarily understand how reproductive system works. And that's today, in the US.

chitoryu12
Apr 24, 2014

Thanatosian posted:

I mean... Scrooge is actually right. Christmas shouldn't be a thing. It's probably the single most destructive thing (economically, psychologically, environmentally... probably some -allys I'm not thinking of) that we engage in as a society.

We should still get the day off, though.

*looking at a battlefield*

"Boy, you guys are lucky you aren't dealing with Christmas instead!"

Len
Jan 21, 2008

Pouches, bandages, shoulderpad, cyber-eye...

Bitchin'!

Nitrox posted:

Keep in mind, people without access to sex education may not necessarily understand how reproductive system works. And that's today, in the US.

If you don't have sex until marriage you'll never get an unwanted baby. They taught us that at some point during the 3 days of civics dedicated to abstinence only sex ed

MrYenko
Jun 18, 2012

#2 isn't ALWAYS bad...

Len posted:

If you don't have sex until marriage you'll never get an unwanted baby. They taught us that at some point during the 3 days of civics dedicated to abstinence only sex ed

What if you get married to an unwanted spouse?

Zil
Jun 4, 2011

Satanically Summoned Citrus

MrYenko posted:

What if you get married to an unwanted spouse?

Baby or never have sex. Only two options sorry.

Splicer
Oct 16, 2006

from hell's heart I cast at thee
🧙🐀🧹🌙🪄🐸
What about the rhythm method, he said trying to keep a straight face

Captain Hygiene
Sep 17, 2007

You mess with the crabbo...

Splicer posted:

What about the rhythm method, he said trying to keep a straight face

I know what this means, but I always imagine it as a timing-based minigame that you have to score well at to avoid pregnancy

Zil
Jun 4, 2011

Satanically Summoned Citrus

Captain Hygiene posted:

I know what this means, but I always imagine it as a timing-based minigame that you have to score well at to avoid pregnancy

The secret is half A presses.

Ghost Leviathan
Mar 2, 2017

Exploration is ill-advised.
Back in that day you'd need a fancy French whore to even give a blowjob.

Serperoth
Feb 21, 2013

Pookah posted:

There's a joke like that in a Pratchett book too, never fails to make me crack a smile

christmas boots
Oct 15, 2012

To these sing-alongs 🎤of siren 🧜🏻‍♀️songs
To oohs😮 to ahhs😱 to 👏big👏applause👏
With all of my 😡anger I scream🤬 and shout📢
🇺🇸America🦅, I love you 🥰but you're freaking 💦me 😳out
Biscuit Hider

Serperoth posted:

There's a joke like that in a Pratchett book too, never fails to make me crack a smile

It was in Good Omens

quote:

NOTE FOR YOUNG PEOPLE AND AMERICANS: One shilling = Five Pee. It helps to understand the antique finances of the Witchfinder Army if you know the original British monetary system:

Two farthings = One Ha'penny. Two ha'pennies = One Penny. Three pennies = A Thrupenny Bit. Two Thrupences = A Sixpence. Two Sixpences = One Shilling, or Bob. Two Bob = A Florin. One Florin and One Sixpence = Half a Crown. Four Half Crowns = Ten Bob Note. Two Ten Bob Notes = One Pound (or 240 pennies). Once Pound and One Shilling = One Guinea.

The British resisted decimalized currency for a long time because they thought it was too complicated.

wankel13b
Jan 23, 2005

quak

Stexils posted:

SPOILERS

Brawnfire
Jul 13, 2004

🎧Listen to Cylindricule!🎵
https://linktr.ee/Cylindricule

It's ok, I think it's an alternate timeline

Splicer
Oct 16, 2006

🧙🐀🧹🌙🪄🐸
Marvel What If getting weird

Brawnfire
Jul 13, 2004

🎧Listen to Cylindricule!🎵
https://linktr.ee/Cylindricule

In this timeline Scrooge, tormented by his role in Tiny Tim's death, turns once again to the occult in an attempt to undo his wrongdoing. After unknown decades of increasingly dark phantasmic studies, Scrooge is unrecognizable, a shroud of tattered robes around an empty dark void in the shape of a man. But he has unlocked Time Itself. He must go back and fix what has happened... as the Ghost of Christmas Future

Push El Burrito
May 9, 2006

Soiled Meat
Where do the bonies come in?

Maxwell Lord
Dec 12, 2008

I am drowning.
There is no sign of land.
You are coming down with me, hand in unlovable hand.

And I hope you die.

I hope we both die.

:smith:

Grimey Drawer

Push El Burrito posted:

Where do the bonies come in?

The bones are their dollars

Shifty Nipples
Apr 8, 2007

bah, humbug.

pretty soft girl
Oct 1, 2004

my dead grandfather fights better than you

Maxwell Lord posted:

The bones are their dollars

So are the worms :can:

Splicer
Oct 16, 2006

🧙🐀🧹🌙🪄🐸

Brawnfire posted:

In this timeline Scrooge, tormented by his role in Tiny Tim's death, turns once again to the occult in an attempt to undo his wrongdoing. After unknown decades of increasingly dark phantasmic studies, Scrooge is unrecognizable, a shroud of tattered robes around an empty dark void in the shape of a man. But he has unlocked Time Itself. He must go back and fix what has happened... as the Ghost of Christmas Future
I'd watch tbh

Volcott
Mar 30, 2010

People paying American dollars to let other people know they didn't agree with someone's position on something is the lifeblood of these forums.
Muppets christmas carol and treasure island were both extremely good.

HopperUK
Apr 29, 2007

Why would an ambulance be leaving the hospital?
Gonzo as Dickens in Muppet Christmas Carol is right up there with my favourite movie performances and it's a doofy alien puppet. But it really works.

The Bloop
Jul 5, 2004

by Fluffdaddy

Volcott posted:

Muppets christmas carol and treasure island were both extremely good.

very true

I also really love the original Muppet Movie and Great Muppet Caper. Kermit singing Rainbow Connection gets me right *there* every time

Breetai
Nov 6, 2005

🥄Mah spoon is too big!🍌

The Bloop posted:

very true

I also really love the original Muppet Movie and Great Muppet Caper. Kermit singing Rainbow Connection gets me right *there* every time

Watching the original while super blazed and realising at the end that the rainbow connection was the friends we make along the way had me bawling.

Captain Hygiene
Sep 17, 2007

You mess with the crabbo...

Also Sweetums busting through the movie screen just at the height of the emotional payoff is probably the best brick joke ever, just an A+ movie all around.

mllaneza
Apr 28, 2007

Veteran, Bermuda Triangle Expeditionary Force, 1993-1952

Reminder: Disney+ has the original Muppet Show.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Vincent Van Goatse
Nov 8, 2006

Enjoy every sandwich.

Smellrose

Captain Hygiene posted:

I mean, that's basically what the rhythm method is if you think about it.