Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Ardent Communist
Oct 17, 2010

ALLAH! MU'AMMAR! LIBYA WA BAS!

Warad posted:

The real BF1942 was Forgotten Hope. Still the only WW2 mod game that let you putt around in a Polish Tankette. :poland:

this guy knows whats up. had it so you had to stop running to get an accurate shot off, could be faster if you crouched....so everything was crazy cinematic. some of the things i did it that felt like from the movies.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Philman
Jan 20, 2004

I thought it took place in the Ukraine. Didn't it have a samurai sword.

codo27
Apr 21, 2008

Space Jam posted:

I forget that Hardline exists half the time

As well you should

Ardent Communist posted:

so everything was crazy cinematic. some of the things i did it that felt like from the movies.

I remember I was still buying PC Gamer mags when my desktop was starting to age, and I got the demo for the first Call of Duty. I went to my older brothers place who had just upgraded, and that was the first game that really struck me as being cinematic. Especially the audio, on his old 2.1 Zoltrix speakers.

Warad
Aug 10, 2019

Ardent Communist posted:

everything was crazy cinematic. some of the things i did it that felt like from the movies.

Literally in the case of that one map that was literally the village from the end of Saving Private Ryan.

(it was even meaner than the movie since the Germans got a KT instead of Tiger Is)

jisforjosh
Jun 6, 2006

"It's J is for...you know what? Fuck it, jizz it is"

Warad posted:

Literally in the case of that one map that was literally the village from the end of Saving Private Ryan.

(it was even meaner than the movie since the Germans got a KT instead of Tiger Is)

That level on the hardest difficulty made kid me rage

sbaldrick
Jul 19, 2006
Driven by Hate

toggle posted:

Yeah ok, this looks better. I think it was the previous video with the guy running around like a headless chook that made it look awful.

I’m liking the robo dog thing.

Oh poo poo, enemy spotting. Good for my old eyes

Chronojam
Feb 20, 2006

This is me on vacation in Amsterdam :)
Never be afraid of being yourself!

sbaldrick posted:

Big same there

Julius CSAR
Oct 3, 2007

by sebmojo
EA should just remaster Medal of Honor: Allied Assault already.

Man... the fuckin' music in that game

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=_agg7ixyzfQ

Lube Enthusiast
May 26, 2016

Hardline was good

Charles 1998
Sep 27, 2007

by VideoGames

Kibayasu posted:

I played BF2 immediately followed by 2142 a year or two ago during those couple months some crazy people got away with releasing the games for free and running multiplayer servers for them and it was shocking just bad BF2 was and how much better 2142 was. Guns you could actually reliably hit things with! Who could have imagined that would be important in a first person shooter?

Like I always remembered liking 2142 more than BF2 but the main thing I took away from playing BF2 again was "This was actually kind of a pretty bad game. How did the series survive this?" I wonder if 1942 would feel the same way, though I had probably at least 10 times more hours in Desert Combat than I did in vanilla 1942.

2142 actually killed the series. It's up there in being the worst Battlefields released on PC along side with Hardline and V, and only sold a few hundred thousand compared to the millions Battlefield 2 and the sequels sold. After 2142, there was no Battlefield game released on PC for 4 years.

I played 2142 beta, launch, and for several months afterward. The game had terrible gunplay, tons of lag, the buggiest experience that hasn't been matched in a Battlefield game since, the vehicles and guns sucked, and the map design was awful.

Dead Like Rev
Sep 6, 2010

"The dead walk among us."

sbaldrick posted:

No, not really. You more so "ping" the general area the guy is not quite the current spotting system we are used to

Kibayasu
Mar 28, 2010

Charles 1998 posted:

2142 actually killed the series. It's up there in being the worst Battlefields released on PC along side with Hardline and V, and only sold a few hundred thousand compared to the millions Battlefield 2 and the sequels sold. After 2142, there was no Battlefield game released on PC for 4 years.

I played 2142 beta, launch, and for several months afterward. The game had terrible gunplay, tons of lag, the buggiest experience that hasn't been matched in a Battlefield game since, the vehicles and guns sucked, and the map design was awful.

I feel like a lot of that had way more to do with releasing just a year after BF2 than anything inherent to 2142 itself. I remember a lot of the talk around it being just an expansion pack they were charging full price for and… yeah, I can see why it felt like that back then.

For the rest I don’t know what else to say besides if BF2 plays as intended then 2142 with bugs was better than BF2 without (as many) bugs.

micron
Nov 15, 2005

Playing BF2 on KFS was the absolute best. !lolcaust’n and Whammy’n 24/7

micron fucked around with this message at 23:51 on Aug 22, 2021

Charles 1998
Sep 27, 2007

by VideoGames

Kibayasu posted:

I feel like a lot of that had way more to do with releasing just a year after BF2 than anything inherent to 2142 itself.

Battlefield 4 released 24 months after Battlefield 3 and sold like 80-90% as much. They are basically the same game, with a few big new features to Battlefield 4 and slight difference in unlock system. Battlefield 2142 was released 16 months after Battlefield 2 and sold roughly 10% as much, and was definitely much different.

The issue really stems from the fact that Battlefield 2142 was just a poorly made game.

ScootsMcSkirt
Oct 29, 2013

Charles 1998 posted:

Battlefield 4 released 24 months after Battlefield 3 and sold like 80-90% as much. They are basically the same game, with a few big new features to Battlefield 4 and slight difference in unlock system. Battlefield 2142 was released 16 months after Battlefield 2 and sold roughly 10% as much, and was definitely much different.

The issue really stems from the fact that Battlefield 2142 was just a poorly made game.

where are you getting the sales numbers from?

I feel like theres no way BF4 has sold 80-90% as BF3. A ton of ppl still play BF4 and its had a much, much longer endlife than BF3. Maybe it sold 80% as much during the first month of launch, cause it was famously broken as poo poo, but it has been supported more than almost any other BF title. I doubt DICE would put that much post-launch support if it was less successful than Bf3, but I could be totally wrong on this since its just a gut feeling

Charles 1998
Sep 27, 2007

by VideoGames

ScootsMcSkirt posted:

where are you getting the sales numbers from?

I feel like theres no way BF4 has sold 80-90% as BF3. A ton of ppl still play BF4 and its had a much, much longer endlife than BF3. Maybe it sold 80% as much during the first month of launch, cause it was famously broken as poo poo, but it has been supported more than almost any other BF title. I doubt DICE would put that much post-launch support if it was less successful than Bf3, but I could be totally wrong on this since its just a gut feeling

http://bf3blog.com/2012/05/battlefield-3-ships-15-million-copies/

https://web.archive.org/web/20151215203336/http://bf4central.com/2014/05/battlefield-4-sells-7-million-2-still-playing

Inspector Hound
Jul 14, 2003

I would pick 3 over 4 but 4 is what's on playstation, so

dog nougat
Apr 8, 2009
I mean bf3 is on playstation (3) and runs like dogshit. It's less than 30fps to be sure. The server browser doesn't seem to work either, but there are still active servers available through quick match. Hard to believe I played like 600 hours of it on ps3 tbh.

ScootsMcSkirt
Oct 29, 2013

couldnt get that first link to work, but I did a small amount of digging and it looks like EA reported around 15 mil sales for BF3 one year after launch and 7 mil sales for BF4 one year after launch

thats crazy, I had no idea BF3 was so much more successful and that BF4 lost a ton users. Im sure with the BF4 giveaway a month ago, it is a lot closer now but thats still nothing compared to how much better BF3 performed

Hot Diggity!
Apr 3, 2010

SKELITON_BRINGING_U_ON.GIF
BF4 also had an absolute dogshit launch and it took months to get it playable

dog nougat
Apr 8, 2009
It still crashes on ps4 years later. It's certainly not nearly as bad as at launch, but it's still there. Way back when it was still the current battlefield I was working on getting the plat trophy and collecting all the dogtags or whatever in the campaign. Literally as I had collected the last one, the game crashed and corrupted my save. I had to download an old save from the cloud and promptly gave up on attempting that ever again.

codo27
Apr 21, 2008

I worked with this german guy who had sank I think 1200 hours it was at the time into bf3 on ps3. Thats masochism I cant ever aspire to

jisforjosh
Jun 6, 2006

Charles 1998 posted:

I remember bouncing off of 2142 rather hard because the guns in the demo/beta looked and felt like nerf guns and the in-game billboard advertising left a bad taste in my mouth.

Charles 1998
Sep 27, 2007

by VideoGames

jisforjosh posted:

I remember bouncing off of 2142 rather hard because the guns in the demo/beta looked and felt like nerf guns and the in-game billboard advertising left a bad taste in my mouth.

Holy crap I forgot about that. Back in the late 2000s when games were having advertising built in.

I played Planetside and have "it's called drifting" line burned into my memory.

Rev. Bleech_
Oct 19, 2004

~OKAY, WE'LL DRINK TO OUR LEGS!~

jisforjosh posted:

just lol if you didn't install the goon-made mod that just put emotes and memes all over them

Assepoester
Jul 18, 2004
Probation
Can't post for 11 years!
Melman v2
I wish I still had pictures of the indestructible 2142 billboard advertisements replaced with :eng101:

Mordja
Apr 26, 2014

Hell Gem

Kibayasu posted:

I feel like a lot of that had way more to do with releasing just a year after BF2 than anything inherent to 2142 itself. I remember a lot of the talk around it being just an expansion pack they were charging full price for and… yeah, I can see why it felt like that back then.

For the rest I don’t know what else to say besides if BF2 plays as intended then 2142 with bugs was better than BF2 without (as many) bugs.
That's exactly why I didn't buy it back then. I was in highschool with very little disposable income, so the idea of buying what I thought was only a semi-sequel so close to the release of the last game. Plus I'd hitched my wagon to that big sci-fi mod by the 1942 Galactic Conquest team, which didn't quite work out the way I'd hoped it would. Christ, what was its name again?

Charles 1998 posted:

I mean that's a real simplistic way of looking at it. For one, by the time of BF3 and BF4, people had become conditioned to annual/biennial franchises, thanks in large part to COD. Then there's the fact that BF had established itself firmly on consoles, which, again, were more accustomed to yearly releases. And speaking of consoles, there's also the fact that BF4 was a launch title on the new generation, so all told it's not a good comparison.

Warad
Aug 10, 2019

Mark me down as another who didn't get into 2142 before it was too late. Not because I didn't like it but because between Battlefront II, Tribes 2 that was still kicking, and Planetside 1, there wasn't really anything 2142 was offering that really blew the lid off of the whole future shooter shtick at the time to grab my interest. Then hearing how much of a shitshow Titan mode was at launch...yeah it was a pass.

And the billboards, gently caress the billboards. (Though nowadays we wouldn't be hating them because they're tacky as poo poo, now they're way too real.)

sbaldrick
Jul 19, 2006
Driven by Hate

Dead Like Rev posted:

No, not really. You more so "ping" the general area the guy is not quite the current spotting system we are used to

does it at least kind of mark the person on the map or hud

Target Practice
Aug 20, 2004

Shit.
Sorry, could someone please post the BF Goons discord link again? Last one is invalid.

jisforjosh
Jun 6, 2006

Target Practice posted:

Sorry, could someone please post the BF Goons discord link again? Last one is invalid.

https://discord.gg/R2XM6DRn

Guillermus
Dec 28, 2009

I played quite a bit of BF1942 and BF2 (and iirc only 3-4 hours of 2142) but mostly because I was back in the days in a FPS clan (MoHAA, CoD1 and BF1942). When BF2 launched the 1942 team swapped so I got it. But being honest, never liked it as the actual shooting was horrible and when dolphin diving became common it was a chore. Playing on a custom server with decent admins made the game bearable (for me of course) as at least would keep cheaters away.

Bad Company 2 was the turning point for me. It felt the first BF I liked more than the current CoD in terms of moment to moment for an infantry player. As much as I liked BF4 I couldn't play it until they started making it playable by december 2013, almost 3 months after release so BF3 will still remain as the better one. BF3 also had really good expansions that added a lot of variety and I liked Battlelog. Hell, I even played a lot of the co-op missions to grind the unlocks before they cut the grind by 75% or so :v:

I got late in BF1 and was because I picked it up for super cheap on PS4 and later on got it on PC thanks to goon Riflen who gifted me his old 780Ti (my old GTX960 wasn't enough for it). BFV was just a mess that ran worse and worse with each patch until it was just a headache trying.

Basically my only nostalgia for the series is Bad Company 2 and BF3. I like to play BF4 from time to time because is easier than trying to make Battlelog work and there are more servers but that's it. BFV killed my desire to play a new Battlefield from launch. My PC is fairly old and even with my actual 1080Ti (Riflen again :3:) I don't think it'll run well enough aaaand, nu:dice: doesn't inspire me confidence after the debacle of the last game. If they make it a crossplay tittle, I'll end slapping a mouse and keyboard on a PS5 or Xbox Series X as it'll be cheaper than just try to get a beefy PC for a single game as 80% of my PC gaming is retro shooters and old stuff.

Philman
Jan 20, 2004

A 1080Ti should be fine for 2042. BFV should be fine with that card too.

Dead Like Rev
Sep 6, 2010

"The dead walk among us."

sbaldrick posted:

does it at least kind of mark the person on the map or hud

SOOOOOO It was kind of a weird system? You can hit Q and it pings basically anything and everything, Yes it seemed to also EXTREMELY briefly spot an enemy. But it more so slapped a pin down on the map in like a 3d overlay you could see that said "he's this way" And you could also use it to suggest to your team "Hey I wanna go this way" I don't think it was fully functional/working/implemented being as it was the technical test and as we've said it looked like an old as hell client (which DICE confirmed it was like a year old or more).

Charles 1998
Sep 27, 2007

by VideoGames

Dead Like Rev posted:

SOOOOOO It was kind of a weird system? You can hit Q and it pings basically anything and everything, Yes it seemed to also EXTREMELY briefly spot an enemy. But it more so slapped a pin down on the map in like a 3d overlay you could see that said "he's this way" And you could also use it to suggest to your team "Hey I wanna go this way" I don't think it was fully functional/working/implemented being as it was the technical test and as we've said it looked like an old as hell client (which DICE confirmed it was like a year old or more).

Maybe it'll have both. If you spot an enemy but the system doesn't think you're quite aiming at them, it'll place down a ping. If it does detect you can for sure see them, it spots the player. This would also make Q spamming less common since there is a visible annoyance to your squad mates, which could get you kicked or your friends to yell at you.

Perestroika
Apr 8, 2010

Some of the footage also had dedicated "spotter" seats for various vehicles, so it seems likely that these seats in particular may have more accurate/powerful spotting than what infantry can do.

jisforjosh
Jun 6, 2006

Perestroika posted:

Some of the footage also had dedicated "spotter" seats for various vehicles, so it seems likely that these seats in particular may have more accurate/powerful spotting than what infantry can do.

Spotting seat seems to have 2 different options on some vehicles based on datamining

https://twitter.com/temporyal/status/1428325878409404418

Blue Raider
Sep 2, 2006

Lube Enthusiast posted:

Hardline was good

4>hardline>1>5

imo

RCarr
Dec 24, 2007

Blue Raider posted:

4>hardline>1>5

imo

Hardline better than 1? Please

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Blue Raider
Sep 2, 2006

RCarr posted:

Hardline better than 1? Please

I don’t like it’s over reliance on animations, spawning in vehicles as a stupid pilot class, or multiple variations of the same weapon. It’s still good overall.