Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Nundizo
Feb 9, 2021

Josh Lyman posted:

The performative wokeness of critiques like that are just as hollow as they claim the TV shows are.

what about it is performative?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Josh Lyman
May 24, 2009

Nundizo posted:

what about it is performative?
I was following up on Wraith of JOI’s comment. Presumably the person who wrote the article knows that TV shows won’t society even if they were a perfect critique.

Nundizo
Feb 9, 2021

Josh Lyman posted:

I was following up on Wraith of JOI’s comment. Presumably the person who wrote the article knows that TV shows won’t society even if they were a perfect critique.

Ohhh, I see

VagueRant
May 24, 2012
Confused and alarmed that there's no Ted Lasso thread? There was a single scene transition in that last ep that could fill weeks of goon arguments! (Also it's a p good show)

socialsecurity
Aug 30, 2003

VagueRant posted:

Confused and alarmed that there's no Ted Lasso thread? There was a single scene transition in that last ep that could fill weeks of goon arguments! (Also it's a p good show)

The Generic Apple TV thread has most of it's discussion.

GreenNight
Feb 19, 2006
Turning the light on the darkest places, you and I know we got to face this now. We got to face this now.

This new season of Walking Dead is basically Fallout 3: Stuck in the DC subway system.

swickles
Aug 21, 2006

I guess that I don't need that though
Now you're just some QB that I used to know

VagueRant posted:

Are you talking about if its Ted on the other side of Rebecca's Bantr account?

Ugly In The Morning
Jul 1, 2010
Pillbug

GreenNight posted:

This new season of Walking Dead is basically Fallout 3: Stuck in the DC subway system.

I saw the previews for it and was honestly shocked the show still existed. I wondered why they still bothered to try but it sounds like they really aren’t anymore.

GreenNight
Feb 19, 2006
Turning the light on the darkest places, you and I know we got to face this now. We got to face this now.

I mean I enjoyed last season and this season has been pretty good so far. Fear has been good for the last few years and I've even enjoyed the latest spinoff.

VagueRant
May 24, 2012

socialsecurity posted:

The Generic Apple TV thread has most of it's discussion.
Ah thanks for the heads up.

swickles posted:

I am! And I'm hoping very much that it's a red herring.

How are u
May 19, 2005

by Azathoth
Watched the first 3 episodes of Reservation Dogs last night. Show is funny as hell and really good!

Hughmoris
Apr 21, 2007
Let's go to the abyss!

How are u posted:

Watched the first 3 episodes of Reservation Dogs last night. Show is funny as hell and really good!

That show slipped under my radar.

What show would you compare it to, as far as mood and genre?

Gramps
Dec 30, 2006

Hughmoris posted:

That show slipped under my radar.

What show would you compare it to, as far as mood and genre?

It's a comedy about a bunch of kids getting into trouble on a reservation. It's sorta bleak because of the setting and how much everything sucks for the main characters, but the cast is super likable and the performances are great. It's my favorite new show this year by far. Taika Waititi is one of the creators/co-writers so it's definitely got some of that wit and humor.

How are u
May 19, 2005

by Azathoth
Yeah its quite funny, and the humor is very reflective of the real world troubles Native people experience. So far they've done a really good job of weaving those things together.

Hawkperson
Jun 20, 2003

Oasx posted:

I did not realize that Schmigadoon! was only six episodes, but i guess this is the kind of show that works best in small doses, I hope we get a second season.

This is a long reach back but I just finished Schmigadoon! and yep, add that to the list of musical shows that seem to be custom-made for me. I googled about second season rumors and the composer/co-creator dropped some hints in an interview, so now I'm really hoping that (major spoilers and speculation) based on the change of the last number from "not Music Man" to "not Rent" that the idea is the bridge doesn't take them home but to the next generation of Schmigadoon! where the songs are now spoofs of Andrew Lloyd Weber musicals and other 70s-80s stuff. And if that's the case, I hope this each season we go through another decade of musicals until Kristin Chenoweth sings something from not Wicked.

Overall I enjoyed the show but whew it strongly requires a solid background in musicals to pick up all the references. If I hadn't just rewatched The Music Man a few months ago I wouldn't have noticed half of the ones I caught, even

EL BROMANCE
Jun 10, 2006

COWABUNGA DUDES!
🥷🐢😬

I like musicals but am not massively versed so a lot of the references went by me, but it didn’t really matter. Always a good thing, giving the true believers an extra layer to enjoy while not alienating everyone else.

Mr Ice Cream Glove
Apr 22, 2007

FX shows do an incredible job accurately portraying mental health issues. Dave has GaTa and You’re The Worst had Gretchen and Edgar.

Medullah
Aug 14, 2003

FEAR MY SHARK ROCKET IT REALLY SUCKS AND BLOWS

Mr Ice Cream Glove posted:

FX shows do an incredible job accurately portraying mental health issues. Dave has GaTa and You’re The Worst had Gretchen and Edgar.

You're The Worst season 2 was possibly the most realistic portrayal of depression I've ever seen. It really hit me hard.

Mu Zeta
Oct 17, 2002

Me crush ass to dust

I'm not familiar with depression so I felt like that whole storyline came out of nowhere and I kind of quit the show shortly after, not because I wasn't interested in depression just fell off the show in general. Guess I should get around to finishing the series. Aya Cash really should be a bigger star.

Looten Plunder
Jul 11, 2006
Grimey Drawer
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=S8-wM1bqfGA
The Other Two is finally back for season 2 this week.

Mu Zeta posted:

I'm not familiar with depression so I felt like that whole storyline came out of nowhere

I think they did a great job at planting the seeds early on. Watching it unfold was pretty unique for TV.

Looten Plunder
Jul 11, 2006
Grimey Drawer

This sort of article is painful to read. It's like they're watching a completely different show. "This show that points out the system is hosed is bad. Why isn't the show instead something completely different that up-ends the status quo"

And let's completely ingore the economics of making a TV show and then say Mike White is out of line for "making himself" writer, director and producer.

Nundizo posted:

White people hating themselves is useless to us. Nobody asked for that and nobody cares how they feel about themselves. It’s a plugging of the ears to silence the cries for what we’re really demanding: Reparations Now. Give up your ill-gotten power. Give up your stolen wealth. But they can’t seriously entertain that. (“Obviously, it would threaten me in some way!”)

You tell 'em girl gently caress Mike White. Why isn't he instead throwing his career away?

Oasx
Oct 11, 2006

Freshly Squeezed

Hawkperson posted:

Overall I enjoyed the show but whew it strongly requires a solid background in musicals to pick up all the references. If I hadn't just rewatched The Music Man a few months ago I wouldn't have noticed half of the ones I caught, even

There are very few musicals that I don’t hate, so I missed any references, but it was a fun show.

Eat This Glob
Jan 14, 2008

God is dead. God remains dead. And we have killed him. Who will wipe this blood off us? What festivals of atonement, what sacred games shall we need to invent?

Mr Ice Cream Glove posted:

anytime i need a good cry i put "twenty two" from you're the worst; the pilot of fx's version of "wilfred;" or GaTa's breakdown episode of Dave on. fx is great at that stuff

"no hard feelings" music video by the avett brothers does when i don't have 22 minutes to spare

Arist
Feb 13, 2012

who, me?

https://twitter.com/Nibellion/status/1429794299210870785?s=20

looks pretty faithful honestly

Rhyno
Mar 22, 2003
Probation
Can't post for 10 years!
That looks...good?

I'm shocked.

Arist
Feb 13, 2012

who, me?

I'm definitely gonna give it a shot but I really hope it's more episodic and not the standard Netflix serialized to death poo poo. It's fine if there's serial elements but Cowboy Bebop is not really one continuous story. Don't do the twelve hour movie thing.

Rhyno
Mar 22, 2003
Probation
Can't post for 10 years!
Ooof, saw it posted on FB and of course people are being racist.

Maxwell Lord
Dec 12, 2008

I am drowning.
There is no sign of land.
You are coming down with me, hand in unlovable hand.

And I hope you die.

I hope we both die.

:smith:

Grimey Drawer
Yeah looks fine. I don’t see how the show will benefit from live action at all but I’ll probably at least watch the first episode.

JazzFlight
Apr 29, 2006

Oooooooooooh!

Best part is that Yoko Kanno is doing original music for the show, so worst case scenario we get a cool soundtrack out of it.

Open Source Idiom
Jan 4, 2013

JazzFlight posted:

Best part is that Yoko Kanno is doing original music for the show, so worst case scenario we get a cool soundtrack out of it.

Is she doing the entire original score, or just one or two tracks, or is the show just using her score from the original show?

JazzFlight
Apr 29, 2006

Oooooooooooh!

Open Source Idiom posted:

Is she doing the entire original score, or just one or two tracks, or is the show just using her score from the original show?
I think the only nugget of info is this tweet:
https://twitter.com/NetflixGeeked/status/1402301557094244352?s=20
It was enough to have Wikipedia list her as composer and say that she's scoring the series. So... probably all new stuff?

Oasx
Oct 11, 2006

Freshly Squeezed
I finished watching the Babylon 5 remaster, it's probably been a decade or more since I last watched it. I was hoping they would re-do the computer graphics also, but I realize that would probably be hugely expensive.

The series is just as good as I remember, well the first four seasons anyway. Andreas Katsulas as G'Kar and Peter Jurasik as Londo are the stars of the show.

Vincent
Nov 25, 2005

swickles posted:

Ted Lasso spoilers: I think it's a misdirect and Rebecca is is chatting with coach beard, which goes well with his character and would be incredibly funny and sweet

Oh, and Keely and Roy are the best couple in TV and the best uncle/aunt to Phoebe.

Mu Zeta
Oct 17, 2002

Me crush ass to dust

Is it just me or is Roy way over-grunting all his lines and is near incomprehensible compared to the first season

GreenNight
Feb 19, 2006

It sounds the same to me but I watch everything with subtitles.

Open Source Idiom
Jan 4, 2013
I'm not having a huge problem understanding him, but the character's definitely broader this season. But that's the whole show tbh.

Chairman Capone
Dec 17, 2008

Mu Zeta posted:

Is it just me or is Roy way over-grunting all his lines and is near incomprehensible compared to the first season

He definitely sounds like his voice is a few pitches lower this season.

Medullah
Aug 14, 2003

FEAR MY SHARK ROCKET IT REALLY SUCKS AND BLOWS

Chairman Capone posted:

He definitely sounds like his voice is a few pitches lower this season.

To me it comes across that he's trying to control himself better after the lessons he's learned in season 1, so he's moderating his tone.

ONE YEAR LATER
Apr 13, 2004

Fry old buddy, it's me, Bender!
Oven Wrangler
I know it's been brought up a few times already but Brand New Cherry Flavor is dope af, rosa salazar could stare at me with those eyes forever :pwn:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

zoux
Apr 28, 2006

ONE YEAR LATER posted:

I know it's been brought up a few times already but Brand New Cherry Flavor is dope af, rosa salazar could stare at me with those eyes forever :pwn: