Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

TIP
Mar 21, 2006

Your move, creep.

FilthyImp posted:

This is just such a weird overreach that it feels like the idea of having an "Oculus" account and a "Facebook" account is bunk and it's all the same poo poo.

I think you might be behind on VR news, no one is pretending like there's a difference between the two, you literally need a Facebook account

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Alctel
Jan 16, 2004

I love snails

I also used a fake facebook account with my Quest 2.

Skyrim VR and Doom VR are both on 75% on steam for the next few days

Kullik
Jan 5, 2017

Oculus cancelled my order for the free replacement sweat cusion bit and made me enter a real phone number to get it resubmitted, bastards...

fuf
Sep 12, 2004

haha

Kullik posted:

Oculus cancelled my order for the free replacement sweat cusion bit and made me enter a real phone number to get it resubmitted, bastards...

Haha yeah me too, got the email yesterday.

forest spirit
Apr 6, 2009

Frigate Hetman Sahaidachny
First to Fight Scuttle, First to Fall Sink

GTO posted:

but it's not like they just randomly banned him for no reason.

They did ban him for no reason, he didn't do anything.

fuf
Sep 12, 2004

haha
I gave up trying to get a replacement for my cracked elite strap and bought a BOBOVR m2 strap instead.

I'd say it's as much of an improvement over the elite strap as the elite strap was over the default strap. Definitely recommended.

Bizarro Kanyon
Jan 3, 2007

Something Awful, so easy even a spaceman can do it!

Kullik posted:

Me too. Me too.

Neddy Seagoon
Oct 12, 2012

"Hi Everybody!"

Kullik posted:

Wow, that's a real cheap trick to get people's phone numbers into their system.

EbolaIvory
Jul 6, 2007

NOM NOM NOM

Neddy Seagoon posted:

Wow, that's a real cheap trick to get people's phone numbers into their system.

They removed mine to make me re-add it. Just like they did my payment methods not long ago.

I'm not sure what the game here is on this one.

Ugly In The Morning
Jul 1, 2010
Pillbug
Got my index set up today. The controllers are loving sweet. Looking forwards to it cooling down enough for VR tonight. Is it better to go with 90 or 120 Hz? Im guessing higher hz is better than higher res for VR.

EbolaIvory
Jul 6, 2007

NOM NOM NOM

Ugly In The Morning posted:

Got my index set up today. The controllers are loving sweet. Looking forwards to it cooling down enough for VR tonight. Is it better to go with 90 or 120 Hz? Im guessing higher hz is better than higher res for VR.

If your system can handle the extra framerate, yeah 120 is the way to be.

Nocheez
Sep 5, 2000

Can you spare a little cheddar?
Nap Ghost
You can go 144hz with the Index, if your hardware can drive it.

Lemming
Apr 21, 2008
At least on Quest, 72hz -> 90hz seems like a significantly bigger jump than 90hz -> 120hz. How much can you tell between 120hz and 144hz?

Zaphod42
Sep 13, 2012

If there's anything more important than my ego around, I want it caught and shot now.

Ugly In The Morning posted:

EbolaIvory posted:

If your system can handle the extra framerate, yeah 120 is the way to be.

Its a balance though, right? Both resolution and frame rate get diminishing returns. If your resolution is so low everything is grainy and pixelated, I would totally turn that up before going past 90fps.

But if you're already getting a pretty smooth and antialiased image, then sure, go 120-144 and it'll feel smoother and you'll feel less nauseous.

Lemming posted:

At least on Quest, 72hz -> 90hz seems like a significantly bigger jump than 90hz -> 120hz. How much can you tell between 120hz and 144hz?

Yeah exactly.

Haptical Sales Slut
Mar 15, 2010

Age 18 to 49
With a 2070s I can’t go above 90 on the index without noticing blur in text. Is that steamvr just auto scaling so it doesn’t drop frames?

Private Speech
Mar 30, 2011

I HAVE EVEN MORE WORTHLESS BEANIE BABIES IN MY COLLECTION THAN I HAVE WORTHLESS POSTS IN THE BEANIE BABY THREAD YET I STILL HAVE THE TEMERITY TO CRITICIZE OTHERS' COLLECTIONS

IF YOU SEE ME TALKING ABOUT BEANIE BABIES, PLEASE TELL ME TO

EAT. SHIT.

Nuts and Gum posted:

With a 2070s I can’t go above 90 on the index without noticing blur in text. Is that steamvr just auto scaling so it doesn’t drop frames?

Yeah it's how it deals with dropped frames, it might be better to just stay at 90.

I sometimes struggle to maintain even 90 with a 3070ti, so I would just use that in more demanding games, but YMMV.

Kullik
Jan 5, 2017

Man just lost tracking in the final hold in H3 lmao this has only ever happened like once before figures it was saving it for the right moment to leave me with weird T-rex hands unable to reload or aim

MeatRocket8
Aug 3, 2011

I was curious about VR chat. I went on late at night for US time thinking it would cut down on the amount of kids. Within 10 minutes i encounter kids talking poo poo black people and gays. It’s like they’re releasing the diarrhea they had to keep inside because of their schools zero tolerance policies. And the older ones seem to be second life refugees, who act very parental. The most normal ones seem to be the drunks in the VR dance clubs.

Then I decided to finally start Lone Echo, and drat it looks good. It will probably be what I use to show VR to new people. But the fact that this game is 4 years old bums me out that VR software hasnt grown like it should.

Lemming
Apr 21, 2008

ChocNitty posted:

Then I decided to finally start Lone Echo, and drat it looks good. It will probably be what I use to show VR to new people. But the fact that this game is 4 years old bums me out that VR software hasnt grown like it should.

yes

this hurts me

EbolaIvory
Jul 6, 2007

NOM NOM NOM

Nuts and Gum posted:

2070s should do 120 without dropping frames like crazy. Turn off all the auto poo poo, set resolution/supersample to 1.0 and see what happens.

Lemming posted:

I personally can't feel a real big difference moving up to 144. What I do notice is the black/white smear is worse on 144 than 120. Headset can do 144 but imo not all the panels are created equal and I do NOT have fast enough ones to do 144 without visible smearing. To be clear, and I've mentioned this. I am ULTRA sensitive to framerate/refresh rates. So take things with a grain of salt, but there is a noticeable difference in how the blacks and whites refresh at 144. I just don't think the g2g or w/e is fast enough.

TL:DR = The tiny bit of speed I saw from 144 wasn't worth the excessive smear on black and white or dark scenes.

Zaphod42 posted:

Its a balance though, right? Both resolution and frame rate get diminishing returns. If your resolution is so low everything is grainy and pixelated, I would totally turn that up before going past 90fps.

But if you're already getting a pretty smooth and antialiased image, then sure, go 120-144 and it'll feel smoother and you'll feel less nauseous.

Yeah exactly.

I guess. 120 just feels better if your hardware can do it. Its not quite the upgrade like 60 to 144 is on a flat monitor but its kinda worth it even if you "turn down" some tiny detail to eek out a frame or two.

Just depends on hardware too. I'm in a situation that it dont matter and since its a visible different, I do 120.

Private Speech posted:

Yeah it's how it deals with dropped frames, it might be better to just stay at 90.

I sometimes struggle to maintain even 90 with a 3070ti, so I would just use that in more demanding games, but YMMV.

Whats the rest of your setup look like?

I ask because I'm on a 2080ti/9900k and I have no issues with frame loss at 120 or 144*.

*Alyx at 144 on crazy high with supersample up yeah, its not great*

You shouldn't have problems at 120.

EbolaIvory fucked around with this message at 23:45 on Aug 22, 2021

Turin Turambar
Jun 5, 2011

Zaphod42 posted:

Yeah exactly.

It's interesting how the law of diminishing returns apply to everything. To polygon count, to texture resolution, to screen resolution and to framerate.

Lemming
Apr 21, 2008

Turin Turambar posted:

It's interesting how the law of diminishing returns apply to everything. To polygon count, to texture resolution, to screen resolution and to framerate.

Well, the human eye can't see above 24fps anyway

EbolaIvory
Jul 6, 2007

NOM NOM NOM

Lemming posted:

Well, the human eye can't see above 24fps anyway

Zaphod42
Sep 13, 2012

If there's anything more important than my ego around, I want it caught and shot now.

Nuts and Gum posted:

SteamVR defaults to setting resolution for you ("Auto" setting), you have to check a setting to have it be fixed manual, or another setting to have manual per-game settings.

Neddy Seagoon
Oct 12, 2012

"Hi Everybody!"

ChocNitty posted:

I was curious about VR chat. I went on late at night for US time thinking it would cut down on the amount of kids. Within 10 minutes i encounter kids talking poo poo black people and gays. It’s like they’re releasing the diarrhea they had to keep inside because of their schools zero tolerance policies. And the older ones seem to be second life refugees, who act very parental. The most normal ones seem to be the drunks in the VR dance clubs.

Stick to the Great Pug rather than the Black Cat, it gets all the Quest users. Which are predominantly kids. The Great Pug's a PC-only world, so they can't get in unless they're desktop users.

Beve Stuscemi
Jun 6, 2001

Has there been any more progress on that custom quest 2 firmware that removes the Facebook stuff yet or did that die?

bawk
Mar 31, 2013

Neddy Seagoon posted:

Stick to the Great Pug rather than the Black Cat, it gets all the Quest users. Which are predominantly kids. The Great Pug's a PC-only world, so they can't get in unless they're desktop users.

Jokes on you, I'm a quest user but I yse Airlink instead, so I can get into your secret clu-*body folds in half, rotates violently as I disconnect*

Turin Turambar
Jun 5, 2011

Your fave Zuck with the news

Private Speech
Mar 30, 2011

I HAVE EVEN MORE WORTHLESS BEANIE BABIES IN MY COLLECTION THAN I HAVE WORTHLESS POSTS IN THE BEANIE BABY THREAD YET I STILL HAVE THE TEMERITY TO CRITICIZE OTHERS' COLLECTIONS

IF YOU SEE ME TALKING ABOUT BEANIE BABIES, PLEASE TELL ME TO

EAT. SHIT.

EbolaIvory posted:

Whats the rest of your setup look like?

I ask because I'm on a 2080ti/9900k and I have no issues with frame loss at 120 or 144*.

*Alyx at 144 on crazy high with supersample up yeah, its not great*

You shouldn't have problems at 120.

5600x (mild OC to base clock of 4.45)/32GB 3200MHz ram (OC to 3600)

According to cpu-z 5600x is faster in single core than any 10th gen and lower Intel chip even at base clocks, but 3070ti is slightly slower than 2080ti in most tasks, and faster in a few.

I do tend to use max details and >1.0 render resolution, but to me that's preferable to slightly higher framerate.

Private Speech fucked around with this message at 13:27 on Aug 23, 2021

Neddy Seagoon
Oct 12, 2012

"Hi Everybody!"

Turin Turambar posted:

Your fave Zuck with the news

Was that something they could do already in any capacity, or is this a whole new flavour of biometric data harvesting?

Turin Turambar
Jun 5, 2011

Neddy Seagoon posted:

Was that something they could do already in any capacity, or is this a whole new flavour of biometric data harvesting?

They already have your data in FB. And they have your data in Quest. So being able to post in FB what you do in Quest isn't exactly new data harvesting.

explosivo
May 23, 2004

Fueled by Satan

I'm getting a new GPU tomorrow and can't wait to try the same VR stuff I've been playing on my 1070 to see how much of a difference it makes. What's recommended when looking to turn up the graphics when using the Quest 2 through VD? I remember there being a specific scaling setting or something like that but can't remember if that's in Virtual Desktop or steam?

Turin Turambar
Jun 5, 2011

explosivo posted:

I'm getting a new GPU tomorrow and can't wait to try the same VR stuff I've been playing on my 1070 to see how much of a difference it makes. What's recommended when looking to turn up the graphics when using the Quest 2 through VD? I remember there being a specific scaling setting or something like that but can't remember if that's in Virtual Desktop or steam?

Both Steam and Virtual Desktop has a resolution setting. It will be multiplicative if you touch both, so be aware.

explosivo
May 23, 2004

Fueled by Satan

Turin Turambar posted:

Both Steam and Virtual Desktop has a resolution setting. It will be multiplicative if you touch both, so be aware.

Got it, is it recommended changing Steam's first or just kinda mess around with both and see what results I get?

Doctor_Fruitbat
Jun 2, 2013

Leave Steam alone, up the resolution in the Oculus app and VD first. VD will change the streaming resolution, while Oculus will change the output resolution of the Quest itself. Steam should then adjust itself to the new baseline resolution after a restart, so you can worry about that last.

explosivo
May 23, 2004

Fueled by Satan

Doctor_Fruitbat posted:

Leave Steam alone, up the resolution in the Oculus app and VD first. VD will change the streaming resolution, while Oculus will change the output resolution of the Quest itself. Steam should then adjust itself to the new baseline resolution after a restart, so you can worry about that last.

Awesome, thanks, I remember hearing something along these lines but couldn't remember exactly what the recommendation was.

Neddy Seagoon
Oct 12, 2012

"Hi Everybody!"

Turin Turambar posted:

They already have your data in FB. And they have your data in Quest. So being able to post in FB what you do in Quest isn't exactly new data harvesting.

Nah, I don't think you get the kind of data they're pulling then if you think it's just game sales and advertising; Off the top of my head they can get a better read of your general fitness level, psychological motivation level and a bit of your health with that. (Eg; Tried to meet the goal, characteristics of sufficient exercise in the attempt for a healthy person of exhibited criteria, but not succeeding. Probable underlying health risk, flag and sell on to insurance).

Turin Turambar
Jun 5, 2011

Neddy Seagoon posted:

Nah, I don't think you get the kind of data they're pulling then if you think

Uhh no. I was thinking on that. Of course they have the Oculus move data. But they had it before already. That's why I said there is nothing new.

EbolaIvory
Jul 6, 2007

NOM NOM NOM

Private Speech posted:

5600x (mild OC to base clock of 4.45)/32GB 3200MHz ram (OC to 3600)

According to cpu-z 5600x is faster in single core than any 10th gen and lower Intel chip even at base clocks, but 3070ti is slightly slower than 2080ti in most tasks, and faster in a few.

I do tend to use max details and >1.0 render resolution, but to me that's preferable to slightly higher framerate.

You have enough hardware that you shouldn't be experiencing actual frame loss in any degree that matters. The only way I can see that happening is if you're cranking in game super sample up or something and if you are, stop. Use steams system for that + you're probably going too high. If its not that, Something else has to be stealing resources.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Neddy Seagoon
Oct 12, 2012

"Hi Everybody!"

Turin Turambar posted:

Uhh no. I was thinking on that. Of course they have the Oculus move data. But they had it before already. That's why I said there is nothing new.

Ahh, gotcha :hmmyes: