Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Hot Diggity!
Apr 3, 2010

SKELITON_BRINGING_U_ON.GIF
Tainted Isaac is super fun

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Mr Phillby
Apr 8, 2009

~TRAVIS~
I've not played around with the tainted characters too much but even T. Isaac's gimmick feels incredibly unfun to me. The fun of the game is piling on a billion different items and seeing where you end up. Having like 8 slots for passive items just doesn't feel like a terribly fun trade off to me, even with the extra options.

Maybe I'll take to it more now that I caved and installed the item descriptions mod. Its nice to finally know what the hell all these trinkets do at least. I hope if there ever is something like an Issac 2 they put decent item descriptions in the actual game, theres way too much content for anyone to learn and memorize this crap anymore.

Ryuga Death
May 14, 2008

There's gotta be one more bell to crack
Fun Shoe
I haven't bothered with Tainted Laz or Tainted Jacob. Just too unfun and annoying for me to bother.

Lately, all I've been doing are Tainted Keeper runs. That character is too much fun.

No Wave
Sep 18, 2005

HA! HA! NICE! WHAT A TOOL!

Mr Phillby posted:

I've not played around with the tainted characters too much but even T. Isaac's gimmick feels incredibly unfun to me. The fun of the game is piling on a billion different items and seeing where you end up. Having like 8 slots for passive items just doesn't feel like a terribly fun trade off to me, even with the extra options.

Maybe I'll take to it more now that I caved and installed the item descriptions mod. Its nice to finally know what the hell all these trinkets do at least. I hope if there ever is something like an Issac 2 they put decent item descriptions in the actual game, theres way too much content for anyone to learn and memorize this crap anymore.
Play him again! He's fun and easy.

Fun tainteds:
Maggie
Bethany
Lillith
Isaac
Eve
Samson
Judas
Keeper

Medium:
Apollyon
???
Azazel

Questionable/Controversial:
Eden
Cain
Forgotten

Torture:
Laz
Jacob
Lost

Given how dramatic a lot of the tainteds are I think that's a really good hit rate. The issue is that if you want death certificate you're going to be playing tainted lillith for four hours and tainted jacob for seventy. I think making tainted Jacob/Lost super resilient to highrolls was dumb.

Hot Diggity!
Apr 3, 2010

SKELITON_BRINGING_U_ON.GIF

Mr Phillby posted:

You don't quite have 8, for what it's worth. If you grab an item that gives you hearts you keep them even after getting rid of it. The character is a really good way to find synergies, imo.

watho
Aug 2, 2013

The real world will, again tomorrow, function and run without me.

tainted isaac is really consistently good to great but it’s hard to get an amazing to incredible run

Mr Phillby
Apr 8, 2009

~TRAVIS~

Hot Diggity! posted:

You don't quite have 8, for what it's worth. If you grab an item that gives you hearts you keep them even after getting rid of it. The character is a really good way to find synergies, imo.
I'm aware of that, its just that a lot of the time

watho posted:

tainted isaac is really consistently good to great but it’s hard to get an amazing to incredible run
I need those really busted runs to take on some of the end game bosses. Dogma always shreds me in phase 2.

Like I said T. Isaac just feels less fun to me on the surface, maybe it'll click eventually. I've started to adjust my playstyle a little, going for planetariums and angel deals etc.

PostNouveau
Sep 3, 2011

VY till I die
Grimey Drawer
Everybody loves tainted maggy but after 2 runs of getting Delirium below ~5% of its health, I deeply, deeply loathe the "gently caress you your health is draining constantly" mechanic.

Sockser
Jun 28, 2007

This world only remembers the results!

Tainted Lilith is peak fun in this game

PantsBandit
Oct 26, 2007

it is both a monkey and a boombox
Is experimental treatment good now? They updated it to be more beneficial than negative right?

Evil Kit
May 29, 2013

I'm viable ladies.

It's still a literal crapshoot. It is more than happy to hit you with -1 tears and -2 damage while giving you shot speed and range.. Like it's not the worst if you're desperate, but it can still easily gently caress a good run over.

PIZZA.BAT
Nov 12, 2016

:cheers:

Color Printer posted:

Tainted Maggy and Tainted Bethany runs are some of the most fun I've ever had in this game

yeah i’ve been enjoying my tainted maggie runs so far. she’s kind of tough but man i never thought there’d be a character more :metal101: than the forgotten

and then you manage to get the book of shadows & 4.5 volt and go ‘welp i’m literally indestructible now where the gently caress are you, delirium, you loving nerd?’

Ariong
Jun 25, 2012

Get bashed, platonist!

Evil Kit posted:

It's still a literal crapshoot. It is more than happy to hit you with -1 tears and -2 damage while giving you shot speed and range.. Like it's not the worst if you're desperate, but it can still easily gently caress a good run over.

Yeah, I usually grab it early and skip it late, unless I'm 2/3 of the way to Spun in which case I'll take it annytime.

Turpitude II
Nov 10, 2014
i just had a tainted bethany run that was ridiculously overpowered. and then, on the void, had the luck of spawning a cursed eye wisp, which combined with the other item and item wisps i had... set my tears to 0.25. it took me 8 whole seconds to fully charge cursed eye. :shepface:

good thing i had already beaten delirium and was just wandering around seeing what items i could get.

Waffle!
Aug 6, 2004

I Feel Pretty!

PantsBandit posted:

Is experimental treatment good now? They updated it to be more beneficial than negative right?

I have been burned by it too many times. I never ever take Experimental Treatment anymore.

Grapplejack
Nov 27, 2007

For tainted lost I think he'd be completely fine if you made it so that like, getting 4 soul hearts or an eternal heart will refresh your shield

No Wave
Sep 18, 2005

HA! HA! NICE! WHAT A TOOL!

PantsBandit posted:

It's two stats down, four stats up. I still hate it because attack down and shot speed down are both so brutal early game.

Pentaro
May 5, 2013

The other day I bought Experimental Treatment as Tainted Keeper and was pleasantly surprised when I saw just one red number in the HUD

Took me a bit to notice it also left me with one HP. :smith:

PantsBandit
Oct 26, 2007

Guppy's Eye is one of my favorite new items, it's so satisfying seeing a bunch of chests full of troll bombs and being able to safely ignore them. The extra step towards the transformation doesn't hurt either.

PostNouveau
Sep 3, 2011

VY till I die
Grimey Drawer
Finally got the Delirium kill with tainted maggy that had been killing me for days.

With curse of the unknown, which tainted maggy really shouldn't be able to get. But I finally got there with enough damage to do that thing where version of delirium with section burst into a shower of hearts when "killed", so it didn't really matter that I had no idea how much health I had, I could run in any direction and either pick up a heart or push a heart around and know I was full health.

kvx687
Dec 29, 2009

Soiled Meat
I had an unexpected run-carrying combo on my last Beast fight- 4.5 volt combined with the Scooper. I'm normally pretty down on 4.5 volt because the damage to charge conversion is so low most rooms end up a net negative, but it turns out you can get a ton of charges on an endurance-fest like the final rush. I think I had 8 eyes flying around before the Beast even came up, and probably upwards of 20 when she went down. They also block the fire rings as well, I barely had to dodge anything because there were so many that each ring ended up half eaten as soon as they spawned.

PantsBandit
Oct 26, 2007

Yeah the 4.5 Volt pays big dividends on long boss fights.

My only completion mark left on The Keeper is Delirium and I don't think I'm good enough to beat that fight without a 4.5 volt on him. I just had an incredible Mega Satan run with a ton of battery items but of course no Void portal...

PantsBandit
Oct 26, 2007

As always, posting about it got me my Keeper Delerium clear. Had no battery items until Void (where I lucked into a 9-Volt), but I DID manage to get Sacred Heart AND Revelation which was amazing and gave me the edge I needed to make the fight not last a million years.

IMJack
Apr 16, 2003

Royalty is a continuous ripping and tearing motion.

Fun Shoe
I finally finished Baptism by Fire after several failures right at the end. This time I abandoned Guppy's Paw early for the Notched Axe and used that as much as possible to save up Urn ammo. The last part of the Boss-Isaac fight came down to hoping Little Delirium would turn into something that could damage the boss, because I was completely out of resources otherwise.

PostNouveau
Sep 3, 2011

VY till I die
Grimey Drawer
Got to Delirium with Tainted Eden riding high, full health, shitload of items to roll

Lose 8 heart containers in 2 hits but it's cool because I've got him down to like 30% and then I step on a random penny and teleport out because I've rolled into that loving terrible trinket that teleports you when you pick up coins.

:negative:

PIZZA.BAT
Nov 12, 2016

I unlocked the spindown die and ran into it just a few runs later! Hell yes! This thing is OP as hell!! What's this in the very next item room? Magic skin? What's this do?

:(

PantsBandit
Oct 26, 2007

Just got Eye of Belial after Tech X, hoping it would have a cool synergy considering Tech X's range and AOE. Nope, no synergy at all apparently. Lame.

Wildtortilla
Jul 8, 2008
I’m playing my first run in about six months. I got a D20 and bought the Sack. Been churning through a slowly growing pile of items with the D20 and now a Jera runs dropped. Gonna be at this awhile cause there’s never a clear point to cut off this madness.

END CHEMTRAILS NOW
Apr 16, 2005

Pillbug

Wildtortilla posted:

I’m playing my first run in about six months. I got a D20 and bought the Sack. Been churning through a slowly growing pile of items with the D20 and now a Jera runs dropped. Gonna be at this awhile cause there’s never a clear point to cut off this madness.
Don't forget to quit out and resume occasionally to save your progress. Unless your end goal is just to crash the game, of course.

Wildtortilla
Jul 8, 2008

END CHEMTRAILS NOW posted:

Don't forget to quit out and resume occasionally to save your progress. Unless your end goal is just to crash the game, of course.

I’ve never crashed the game doing this. I just not have the necessary amount of patience.

PantsBandit
Oct 26, 2007

Whenever I watch my bird kill spiders as Eve I think it would be cool to have a familiar that "powered up" as it killed enemies. Maybe there is one like that and I just haven't gotten it yet.

Pentaro
May 5, 2013

That's Blood Puppy, sort of!

Evil Kit
May 29, 2013

I'm viable ladies.

First time I found Blood Puppy I had BFFs and it carried the poo poo out of me

every other time after that it has killed me.

PantsBandit
Oct 26, 2007

Pentaro posted:

That's Blood Puppy, sort of!

Ah cool! Gives me my next goal :)

Just finished my Eve post-it.

PIZZA.BAT
Nov 12, 2016

PostNouveau
Sep 3, 2011

VY till I die
Grimey Drawer
The hardest part of playing Tainted Eden is avoid this attitude

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=qX-YfuVQmX8

Ariong
Jun 25, 2012

Get bashed, platonist!

The wiki and the external item description mod say that The Stars? removes your oldest passive item, but it just removed my Book of Virtues as Bethany.

Emong
May 31, 2011

perpair to be annihilated

Ariong posted:

The wiki and the external item description mod say that The Stars? removes your oldest passive item, but it just removed my Book of Virtues as Bethany.

Book of Virtues is a passive, it just also gives you an active if you don't have one.

Ariong
Jun 25, 2012

Get bashed, platonist!

Oh, weird.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

PantsBandit
Oct 26, 2007

Tainted Judas is fun on a bun.