Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Mafic Rhyolite
Nov 7, 2020

by Hand Knit

Methanar posted:

Why is authoritarianism suddenly so popular again?

Democracy has condemned the human race to extinction. It's getting harder and harder for me to blame anyone at this point for thinking it's a failed ideology that should be replaced by something else.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Trapick
Apr 17, 2006

Mafic Rhyolite posted:

Democracy has condemned the human race to extinction. It's getting harder and harder for me to blame anyone at this point for thinking it's a failed ideology that should be replaced by something else.
Are you blaming climate change on democracy? It's not like any non-democracies are ecological paradises.

Mafic Rhyolite
Nov 7, 2020

by Hand Knit

Trapick posted:

Are you blaming climate change on democracy? It's not like any non-democracies are ecological paradises.

No, but climate change happened in a world run primarily by America and it's allies, most of which are democratic nations, at least nominally. The most charitable way to say it is that it utterly failed to prevent the forces of capital from driving humans to extinction, and that's not really a glowing review.

I don't know that any other system would be better, there's no way to tell now and it's too late anyways, but if everything was run by a single person who made all the decisions and figured "hey let's not destroy the planet's capability to support complex life", and the only caveat was "you can't talk poo poo about the emperor of humanity" it feels like we'd probably be better off in the long run as a species. Because there probably would actually be a long run.

e: also Cuba has like half the emissions per capita of the UK or france and like a sixth of what Canada and the US do.

Mafic Rhyolite fucked around with this message at 07:08 on Aug 21, 2021

zachol
Feb 13, 2009

Once per turn, you can Tribute 1 WATER monster you control (except this card) to Special Summon 1 WATER monster from your hand. The monster Special Summoned by this effect is destroyed if "Raging Eria" is removed from your side of the field.
I mean it's possible that if "basic industries" had been thoroughly nationalized things could've gone differently. The oil companies had a fairly good idea what was going to happen a while ago, and worked on propaganda and managed science to try to maintain their business as long as possible.
If the oil companies had been nationalized, it's plausible that the same reports would've made their way to the public, and then there could've been some kind of public discussion, with the nationalized oil companies not having the same profit motive to work on propaganda (or at least not as strong of one). In a more authoritarian government the state leaders would be balancing long term stability against shorter term growth, which may have had similar results but also may not have, instead of the actual historical situation where the oil executives were purely concerned with their own companies' outcomes.
I mean if the oil companies were nationalized, or if there was a command economy, it's pretty likely things would've been at least slightly better. It's possible it would've been only slightly, that an interest in industrialization would still have been the priority, but I don't think it would've resulted in the same body of climate change denialism research and science. I mean it could be worse, obviously it could be worse, some authoritarian could've heard the reports and freaked out and worked on whipping the country into a frenzy about denying climate change or whatever, but if you're just thinking in terms of base selfishness and shorter term economic gains you still don't have quite the same acute focus of corporation-backed science research and propaganda.

Hyperlynx
Sep 13, 2015

Mafic Rhyolite posted:

No, but climate change happened in a world run primarily by America and it's allies, most of which are democratic nations, at least nominally. The most charitable way to say it is that it utterly failed to prevent the forces of capital from driving humans to extinction, and that's not really a glowing review.

I don't know that any other system would be better, there's no way to tell now and it's too late anyways, but if everything was run by a single person who made all the decisions and figured "hey let's not destroy the planet's capability to support complex life", and the only caveat was "you can't talk poo poo about the emperor of humanity" it feels like we'd probably be better off in the long run as a species. Because there probably would actually be a long run.

e: also Cuba has like half the emissions per capita of the UK or france and like a sixth of what Canada and the US do.

Scorchingly stupid take.

Mafic Rhyolite
Nov 7, 2020

by Hand Knit
Good contribution to the thread lol

dokmo
Aug 27, 2006

:stat:man

Methanar posted:

Half-remembered readings from many years ago suggests that these tend to follow financial shocks or financial uncertainty, in the current case the global financial crisis of 2008.

DildenAnders
Mar 16, 2016

"I recommend Batman especially, for he tends to transcend the abysmal society in which he's found himself. His morality is rather rigid, also. I rather respect Batman.â€Â
Yeah, blaming America's problems (and contributions to the world's problems) on "democracy" is some reheated, neo-reactionary bullshit. The climate catastrophe is the fault of the disgustingly rich upper class who own and control all aspects of industry, government and media. They have buried their heads in the sand and tried to further hoard resources through exploiting any and everyone beneath them. The way policy is made in this country is anything but democratic (when's the last time you or I voted on oil subsidies?) And even the democratic portion of our government is heavily slanted to the wealthy, white and powerful for a variety of reasons. Things would not be better with an authoritarian, so please gently caress Off.

Slimy Hog
Apr 22, 2008

Mafic Rhyolite posted:

You're blaming the wrong institution here. It's capitalism you should be angry with.

Badger of Basra
Jul 26, 2007

I don’t think authoritarianism is the answer but it’s very iffy to me to say that the voters deserve no blame in a system where our entire government is subject to elections

Kaiser Schnitzel
Mar 29, 2006

Schnitzel mit uns

Methanar posted:

This is not a stupid or a small question

DildenAnders
Mar 16, 2016

"I recommend Batman especially, for he tends to transcend the abysmal society in which he's found himself. His morality is rather rigid, also. I rather respect Batman.â€Â

Badger of Basra posted:

I don’t think authoritarianism is the answer but it’s very iffy to me to say that the voters deserve no blame in a system where our entire government is subject to elections

Literally no one said "voters deserve no blame". At the same time, America, except without even the dog and pony show that is our elections is a significantly worse place for everyone involved. Cuba has functional institutions because they can't afford not to, not because Fidel and Raul sat on a pyrite throne.

Also, the main policy engine of our country (lobbying, federal agencies, and congressional committees) are all directly insulated from voting in some way. Probably less than 20% of the people in government actually making decisions were voted into office. The "entire government" is not subject to voting.

DildenAnders fucked around with this message at 15:36 on Aug 21, 2021

BonHair
Apr 28, 2007

Badger of Basra posted:

I shouldn't continue this derail and just tell y'all to take it to d&d. But anyway, saying that the entire US government is subject to elections is super dubious given the whole first past the post and electoral college nature of the system. And that's before voter suppression.

The inherent causes are capitalism and also people are dumb as rocks. Authoritarianism promises simple common sense solutions to complex problems. Only the solutions don't make sense if you think about them for two seconds. But people as a whole don't.

DildenAnders
Mar 16, 2016

It's times like this that this video rings even more true.
https://youtu.be/PeihcfYft9w

Mafic Rhyolite
Nov 7, 2020

by Hand Knit

Slimy Hog posted:

You're blaming the wrong institution here. It's capitalism you should be angry with.

Mafic Rhyolite posted:

The most charitable way to say it is that [democracy] utterly failed to prevent the forces of capital from driving humans to extinction, and that's not really a glowing review.

I'm not really saying that it's the main institution at fault, it's just hard not to call it a failure is all.

Anyways I think the best answer to the original question is "people in a failing world want things different than what currently exist, and that usually means different things for different people".

hooah
Feb 6, 2006
WTF?
What other flat-pack furniture manufacturers/sellers have little to no Styrofoam in their packaging in addition to Ikea?

Squibsy
Dec 3, 2005

Not suited, just booted.
College Slice

hooah posted:

What other flat-pack furniture manufacturers/sellers have little to no Styrofoam in their packaging in addition to Ikea?

In the context of the last several posts, good on you for asking this question :allears:

wash bucket
Feb 21, 2006

What's the best place on the forums for relaxing time waster YouTube videos? Things like people taking a walk in a city with a GoPro or videos of train rides.

StrixNebulosa
Feb 14, 2012

You cheated not only the game, but yourself.
But most of all, you cheated BABA

McCracAttack posted:

What's the best place on the forums for relaxing time waster YouTube videos? Things like people taking a walk in a city with a GoPro or videos of train rides.

https://forums.somethingawful.com/showthread.php?threadid=3885043
https://forums.somethingawful.com/showthread.php?threadid=3918495

These threads in PYF might help?

dog nougat
Apr 8, 2009

hooah posted:

I got a tv stand from wayfair that was mostly cardboard packaging. Veneered particleboard was still wrapped in a thin Styrofoam-like sheet though. No clue about their other products though

Trapick
Apr 17, 2006

dog nougat posted:

I got a tv stand from wayfair that was mostly cardboard packaging. Veneered particleboard was still wrapped in a thin Styrofoam-like sheet though. No clue about their other products though
I got a bookshelf and a cabinet from Wayfair and yah, mostly cardboard with pretty limited styrofoam.

hooah
Feb 6, 2006
WTF?
The stuff I've gotten from Wayfair in the last year has had quite a bit of Styrofoam, I feel.

Powered Descent
Jul 13, 2008

We haven't had that spirit here since 1969.

What's the deal with how some audio these days sounds like it's in the room with you (if you listen to it on headphones)? Here's a really clear example -- start at two minutes if my timestamping doesn't work. The narration sounds, well, like normal audio, but then he interrupts himself with a different recording that sounds like he's right freakin' next to you. Remember, you'll need headphones to hear what I'm talking about :

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Bi_Tp1H9CDs&t=120s

What is this even called? How is it done?

El Jeffe
Dec 24, 2009

That just sounds stereophonic to me. The second voice is almost entirely in the left channel to make it sound like it's actually coming from your left.

Mafic Rhyolite
Nov 7, 2020

by Hand Knit
The second one was also recorded in a different room that with a bit less of an echo to it so it sounds more like someone talking straight to you as well.

Audio just sounds different by the side of your headphones it comes from and the room it was recorded in and the equipment used to record it, you can get a lot of different effects based on those things, even unintentionally.

TooMuchAbstraction
Oct 14, 2012

I spent four years making
Waves of Steel
Hell yes I'm going to turn my avatar into an ad for it.
Fun Shoe
Yeah, the main thing that I noticed is that the first recording has a bit of reverb to it -- you can hear faint echoes of the original sound after that sound goes away. The second is "drier" sound, with less reverb. Could well be a different room, or just a room with some sound absorbing panels up.

Flipperwaldt
Nov 11, 2011

Won't somebody think of the starving hamsters in China?

It's hard to tell if he's done anything in particular to create that effect beyond panning or recording in stereo and nudging the balance to the left. It wouldn't be impossible to simply have the acoustics of the space add to the 'real space' feeling when recording that part in stereo vs mono center panned voice for the rest of the video. I don't want to deny you the simple pleasure of loving around with 3D panning and binaural panning plugins though. That can be good fun. You can look up videos demonstrating those or the similar q-sound effect if you're not into recording software already.

YggiDee
Sep 12, 2007

WASP CREW
The entirety of my binaural knowledge is in the form of this video:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=IUDTlvagjJA

The Moon Monster
Dec 30, 2005

What the heck is "nuclear carving"? I've been looking for some tools and some list it as an application they're useful for. Just doing internet searches makes it look like "carving ornate beads out of small spherical pieces of wood", but I can't find an actual definition, or figure out how that would get the name "nuclear carving".

Platystemon
Feb 13, 2012

BREADS

The Moon Monster posted:

What the heck is "nuclear carving"? I've been looking for some tools and some list it as an application they're useful for. Just doing internet searches makes it look like "carving ornate beads out of small spherical pieces of wood", but I can't find an actual definition, or figure out how that would get the name "nuclear carving".

It looks like they’re for carving the nucleus of olive, or as you might call it, the pit.

Flipperwaldt
Nov 11, 2011

Won't somebody think of the starving hamsters in China?

Nux, where nucleus is derived from, is Latin for nut to begin with.

Crankit
Feb 7, 2011

HE WATCHES
In the last couple of months I've had some reactions to things that I think may be allergies, I put some aloe vera gel on my skin and my skin went red became and itchy, on another occasion drinking a glass of wine caused me to feel stomach cramps, feel feverish and light headed, also my face felt like it was sunburned. Should I just be avoiding those things or should I be bothering my doctor, I kinda feel bad about calling a doctor for this in the middle of a plague.

DildenAnders
Mar 16, 2016

Don't feel bad about it, absolutely tell a doctor and figure out what's going on, that's what they're there for (and allergies can easily be life-threatening).

BonHair
Apr 28, 2007

Crankit posted:

In the last couple of months I've had some reactions to things that I think may be allergies, I put some aloe vera gel on my skin and my skin went red became and itchy, on another occasion drinking a glass of wine caused me to feel stomach cramps, feel feverish and light headed, also my face felt like it was sunburned. Should I just be avoiding those things or should I be bothering my doctor, I kinda feel bad about calling a doctor for this in the middle of a plague.

Always call a doctor, unless it will ruin you financially. Worst case, they'll tell you not to worry.

Mafic Rhyolite
Nov 7, 2020

by Hand Knit
Depending on where you live allergy tests aren't like super expensive, try to go find one just to know if there are other things you should be avoiding too, at least.

DildenAnders
Mar 16, 2016

My stupid school let me graduate with a "Cell Biology" distinction without making me take a Biochemistry course. Anyone have a good and cheap Biochem textbook for me to play catchup with? I learned a lot of Biochem incidentally through my Cell/Microbio and Orgo courses, so it doesn't have to be too beginner oriented.

ultrafilter
Aug 23, 2007

It's okay if you have any questions.

Try the bio/biochem thread in SAL.

Badger of Basra
Jul 26, 2007

I was going to ask "why are so many video LPers on youtube british" but maybe the better question is "why does youtube's algorithm specifically love british LPers?"

Leal
Oct 2, 2009

Badger of Basra posted:

I was going to ask "why are so many video LPers on youtube british" but maybe the better question is "why does youtube's algorithm specifically love british LPers?"

Americans love accents and they can (mostly) understand what British people are saying.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

zachol
Feb 13, 2009

Once per turn, you can Tribute 1 WATER monster you control (except this card) to Special Summon 1 WATER monster from your hand. The monster Special Summoned by this effect is destroyed if "Raging Eria" is removed from your side of the field.
There are several British LPers I would absolutely not tolerate without the accent. Even with the accent it's a massive stretch.