Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Dave Angel
Sep 8, 2004

Slight amendment to that, 4 teams get relegated from League 1 and 3 plus playoff winners from 4th to 7th placed from League 2 get promoted. Because where would the fun be if it was consistent, I guess.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Azhais
Feb 5, 2007
Switchblade Switcharoo

Dave Angel posted:

Slight amendment to that, 4 teams get relegated from League 1 and 3 plus playoff winners from 4th to 7th placed from League 2 get promoted. Because where would the fun be if it was consistent, I guess.

The EFL is fairly consistent, at the very least the "someone is going up and someone is going down" bit goes all the way down the leagues. Playing in the Bundesliga in football manager has taught me that below 3. liga promotion/relegation turns into a bit of a hypercube

Crystal Lake Witch
Apr 25, 2010

Spacebump posted:

One of the guys on the sports show specifically mentions the team looking too loose or happy for being on the business end of the relegation zone. I wonder how much time passed between the most recent episode and the Christmas one.

That makes sense, I don’t really know anything about football, I didn’t realize they could be relegated again from where they are.

Cojawfee
May 31, 2006
I think the US is dumb for not using Celsius
Here's the hierarchy. It's pretty easy to follow for a few levels and then it just goes off the rails. There are apparently hundreds of football clubs in the UK.

OldSenileGuy
Mar 13, 2001
As someone who doesn’t follow soccer at all, the whole relegation thing is wild to me.

Are there ever any surprises, or is it generally the same 10 or so teams getting relegated/promoted every year?

Cojawfee
May 31, 2006
I guess it can get pretty wild. This is a graph from wikipedia of a team's league throughout the years.

MiddleOne
Feb 17, 2011

OldSenileGuy posted:

As someone who doesn’t follow soccer at all, the whole relegation thing is wild to me.

Are there ever any surprises, or is it generally the same 10 or so teams getting relegated/promoted every year?

It is very wild and that is the core reason having wealthy owners with deep pockets is such a core part of the sport. You literally can't compete without wealth behind you, because it's one bad season and your corporate sponsorships dry up.

EDIT: Clarification, you can't consistently compete at the higher levels. Lower is fine as long as you have a consistent supporter-base.

MiddleOne fucked around with this message at 16:22 on Aug 23, 2021

njsykora
Jan 23, 2012

Robots confuse squirrels.

There are also some stadium size and facilities requirements as you go higher (similar to motorsport track gradings). I remember there being some concern when I was a kid about a team who could’ve been promoted to the Premiership but might’ve been rejected due to their stadium not being big enough.

EL BROMANCE
Jun 10, 2006

COWABUNGA DUDES!
🥷🐢😬

MiddleOne posted:

It is very wild and that is the core reason having wealthy owners with deep pockets is such a core part of the sport. You literally can't compete without wealth behind you, because it's one bad season and your corporate sponsorships dry up.

A key component of why I hate the modern game.

njsykora
Jan 23, 2012

There's a fun twist on promotion/relegation in some esports leagues where the teams set for promotion need to beat the teams set for relegation to actually move up to theoretically prevent teams from constantly pinballing around leagues, and give teams who've had a rough season one more chance to stay up.

Cojawfee
May 31, 2006
That's pretty neat.

Robobot
Aug 21, 2018
Having your team relegated sounds just awful. But it also means eventually they'll be in a league where they can win some and lose some. So you don't wind up with trash fires like the Browns or Lions or Bucs where they're just perennial losers. Sure the Browns and Bucs have had some good seasons recently, but they're usually abysmal.

Azhais
Feb 5, 2007
Switchblade Switcharoo

njsykora posted:

There's a fun twist on promotion/relegation in some esports leagues where the teams set for promotion need to beat the teams set for relegation to actually move up to theoretically prevent teams from constantly pinballing around leagues, and give teams who've had a rough season one more chance to stay up.

Some football leagues do the same. Usually the top tiers area straight promotion/relegation (it wouldn't shock me if that was a fifa rule given the continental tournaments) but things can get weird in the "non league" tiers

Zero One
Dec 30, 2004

HAIL TO THE VICTORS!
https://twitter.com/vanityfair/status/1429872443267723270?s=21

quote:

Ted Lasso’s cocreator went on to suggest that the backlash was premature, teasing the second season’s latter arc. “I feel like we’ve set up a lot. Maybe you’ll dig where it goes. Maybe not,” Lawrence wrote. “And look, I watch tv the same way. This just stung more than usual. Not sure why, yet. I’m usually Teflon. Still, no biggie. I just now feel you’re obligated to watch and report back either way. TV!!”

quote:

Others have aligned themselves with Brett Goldstein’s grisly former footballer Roy Kent in season two, rather than Jason Sudeikis’s bright-eyed Coach Lasso. In a recent interview with Vanity Fair, Goldstein ventured that the show’s second season is actually edgier than the first. “I love the love that you see for Ted Lasso, but there’s also, I think, a kind of simplification of the show,” he explained. “Particularly from people who haven’t seen it and are only aware of the hype and probably get annoyed with it. Like, ‘Oh, it’s just a lovely show where everyone’s lovely to each other!’ Know what I mean? That’s what it sounds like it is. But it’s also incredibly dark and difficult. I am always surprised when people say it made them feel warm and fuzzy inside.”

During Ted Lasso’s first season, its titular character encourages his team to “Be curious, not judgmental.” Let’s all heed that mantra as season two unfolds.

Scott Forstall
Aug 16, 2003

MMM THAT FAUX LEATHER
If Apple didn’t break up ep 1-3 into three separate weeks, I don’t think we’d have this general (and yes, totally predictable) malaise at this point.

I do hold faith that the screeners who have seen most/all of the season say it’s better than s1, so I’ll be there the whole way. I just won’t recommend it to a friend to watch it until it’s done if they haven’t started yet.

Scott Forstall fucked around with this message at 19:59 on Aug 24, 2021

swickles
Aug 21, 2006

I guess that I don't need that though
Now you're just some QB that I used to know

Scott Forstall posted:

If Apple didn’t break up ep 1-3 into three separate weeks, I don’t think we’d have this general (and yes, totally predictable) malaise at this point.

I do hold faith that the screeners who have seen most/all of the season say it’s better than s1, so I’ll be there the whole way. I just won’t recommend it to a friend to watch it until it’s done if they haven’t started yet.

I think Amazon found the sweet spot with The Expanse release. First 3 episodes at once, then weekly afterwards. I also agree that the Christmas episode could have been dropped as a Christmas Special, at Christmas, but part of me thinks something will happen later on that makes it not fit in chronologically (hopefully not the departure of a character or a break up or anything like that).

Azhais
Feb 5, 2007
Switchblade Switcharoo
So do we think it's safe to assume that the whole series will end with Ted moving on to the next thing and Roy being the long term manager?

Julio Cruz
May 19, 2006

swickles posted:

I think Amazon found the sweet spot with The Expanse release. First 3 episodes at once, then weekly afterwards. I also agree that the Christmas episode could have been dropped as a Christmas Special, at Christmas, but part of me thinks something will happen later on that makes it not fit in chronologically (hopefully not the departure of a character or a break up or anything like that).

it makes sense for a Christmas episode to be roughly a third of the way into the season since soccer seasons start in August and finish in May

Chairman Capone
Dec 17, 2008

Reading that article, and they include this tweet:

https://twitter.com/runwithskizzers/status/1419658903189663749

The thing is, at least this far into the season, I'm not really sure that "his positivity is framed as not ideal in the show itself", especially in season 2 so far, which I think is the core of the issue people have had with the first five episodes so far. At least as of now, we have repeatedly been shown that as long as you are positive and happy, you can unilaterally make decisions that effect others, and even piss them off, but ultimately it will all work out for the best for everyone with no ramifications.

Again, maybe that will change in the back half of the season, but the first half of the season hasn't done anything to make me think it's likely.

EL BROMANCE
Jun 10, 2006

COWABUNGA DUDES!
🥷🐢😬

I saw another tweet the other day that said that Roy Kent is not a nice guy, but he is a kind guy. I liked that, as we all know Nice Guys suck. Lets all strive to be Kind Guys instead.

njsykora
Jan 23, 2012

I think the show has done a decent job establishing that even among people who like Ted, the relentless positivity annoys the crap out of them after a while.

Zero One
Dec 30, 2004

HAIL TO THE VICTORS!
Much like how in S1 his marriage was just a thing in the background until one episode it caused him to have a breakdown I think we will get the same with his relationship with Dr. Fieldstone. It’s quite obvious that she is causing him a lot of stress and while he doesn’t hate her something is likely going to break for him again. And I think that breakdown will address that he can’t be positive all the time… especially if it is him bottling his true feelings up inside.

Azhais
Feb 5, 2007
Switchblade Switcharoo

njsykora posted:

I think the show has done a decent job establishing that even among people who like Ted, the relentless positivity annoys the crap out of them after a while.

Wasn't that one of the things that caused his divorce too

Robobot
Aug 21, 2018
I think it might be the only thing she outright stated on the show that lead to the divorce.

Trig Discipline
Jun 3, 2008

Please leave the room if you think this might offend you.
Grimey Drawer

Zero One posted:

Much like how in S1 his marriage was just a thing in the background until one episode it caused him to have a breakdown I think we will get the same with his relationship with Dr. Fieldstone. It’s quite obvious that she is causing him a lot of stress and while he doesn’t hate her something is likely going to break for him again. And I think that breakdown will address that he can’t be positive all the time… especially if it is him bottling his true feelings up inside.

Yeah I've been thinking this too. That relationship has seemed like it's hovering on the edge of disaster since she first showed up, and it's just a matter of what actually pushes it over the edge.

Scott Forstall
Aug 16, 2003

MMM THAT FAUX LEATHER
We’ll that was quite an episode of Ted lasso

Azhais
Feb 5, 2007
Switchblade Switcharoo
:flipoff:

Yeah, it was solid.

Azhais fucked around with this message at 10:57 on Aug 27, 2021

VagueRant
May 24, 2012
Was Ted holding his coat open and angling the signal so it was pointing at the coat and not at any people? :)

I binge-watched the first season and a half last weekend so this is my first one on an episodic schedule, and I think it's going to be very weird. They do a lot of very small easily missed callbacks on this show...

Robobot
Aug 21, 2018
I feel stupid I ever doubted this show.

Open Source Idiom
Jan 4, 2013
I still think this season has been, structurally, poorly put together. It's not clear what plots are going to be ongoing issues, and what plots are going to be handled off-screen between episodes. While most scenes in the show are pointed and didactic, others scenes lend themselves to ambiguous reads (e.g. Higgins' ongoing work strife, Nathan's arc about workplace toxicity, this episode's moral about intervention). It's confusing, and I find it hard to track character's emotional states, and the narrative through lines about those states.

I think the other difficult thing is that this show has become a story about some quite toxic people, and the show's schmaltzy, enthusiastic tone makes this characterisation tough to swallow -- particularly given this season's lack of villainous figures, who last season could at least be reasonably relied upon to provide some pointed criticism. The therapist is the only part of this show I've been looking forward to, since she promises to do just that, but at this point we're six weeks in and the story still feels pretty distant and unenjoyable.

swickles
Aug 21, 2006

I guess that I don't need that though
Now you're just some QB that I used to know
I lost it at "How's Mrs. Beard?"
"She's full QAnon"

Zero One
Dec 30, 2004

HAIL TO THE VICTORS!
Great episode.

I want to see all the Nate memes.

Chairman Capone
Dec 17, 2008

Second season of See just debuted. I knew it was coming but had no idea when. That also led me to see that The Morning Show is returning on September 17.

I feel like they need to advertise their shows better, Ted Lasso and Foundation seem to be the only ones that got any big promotional push.

smackfu
Jun 7, 2004

They’ve been putting See promos in front of Ted Lasso, which is probably their most valuable space right now. Likely switch over to The Morning Show after See premiers.

MiddleOne
Feb 17, 2011

Open Source Idiom posted:

The therapist is the only part of this show I've been looking forward to, since she promises to do just that, but at this point we're six weeks in and the story still feels pretty distant and unenjoyable.

This season of Ted Lasso definitely suffers from being atrociously paced. Ted's breakdown should have been the end of the first episode, not the halfway point of the season. We've up until this point had no tension what so ever.

Robobot
Aug 21, 2018
True, but this is gonna make Rebecca firing Sam hit even harder. I still think that's coming.

Cojawfee
May 31, 2006

Robobot posted:

True, but this is gonna make Rebecca firing Sam hit even harder. I still think that's coming.

Why though? Looks like the old sponsor dropped them and now they are sponsored by Bantr.

MiddleOne posted:

This season of Ted Lasso definitely suffers from being atrociously paced. Ted's breakdown should have been the end of the first episode, not the halfway point of the season. We've up until this point had no tension what so ever.

If it had aired the way the writers expected and without the meddling, this episode would have been in the third week, so it wouldn't have been such a slow burn.

sonatinas
Apr 15, 2003

Seattle Karate Vs. L.A. Karate
It would be great if even fictional Spurs didn’t gently caress it up

Azhais
Feb 5, 2007
Switchblade Switcharoo
Then you'd just have two Evertons

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

MiddleOne
Feb 17, 2011

Cojawfee posted:

If it had aired the way the writers expected and without the meddling, this episode would have been in the third week, so it wouldn't have been such a slow burn.

I think that still would have been bad. Not as much, but still pretty bad.