Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

rap music
Mar 11, 2006

1 was fantastic gameplay and far and away the most atmospheric, but gently caress if I don’t love excessive weapon customization and skins

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Shrimp or Shrimps
Feb 14, 2012

I've been on a kick rediscovering BF1 lately and was surprised at how different the BAR telescopic feels from the trench/storm. It also packs a wallop and I am getting kills easier than I expect to at medium to long ranges. What are the best support guns to use?

Hot Diggity!
Apr 3, 2010

SKELITON_BRINGING_U_ON.GIF

Shrimp or Shrimps posted:

I've been on a kick rediscovering BF1 lately and was surprised at how different the BAR telescopic feels from the trench/storm. It also packs a wallop and I am getting kills easier than I expect to at medium to long ranges. What are the best support guns to use?

Chauchat.

Eastbound Spider
Jan 2, 2011

that cool french lmg where you slap out the bullet-cartridge every time you reload

rap music
Mar 11, 2006

I like the mg15 with the scope on it

ScootsMcSkirt
Oct 29, 2013

perino, but only because it has the coolest reload

Kibayasu
Mar 28, 2010

If you don't want to hang a bit further back then you're mostly limited to the box (or box-adjacent) magazine LMG's. Despite the name and attachments I feel like the Lewis Suppressive was one of the more all around LMG's though the scope can get you in trouble at closer ranges.

The Burton LMR and its fire bullets allows you to become one of the greatest annoyance to planes a single infantry person has ever been able to become in a Battlefield game.

The Chauchat will feel like you're firing a bolt action rifle compared to any other LMG but that also means its incredibly easy to control. I believe it does the most damage per bullet of any LMG.

jisforjosh
Jun 6, 2006

"It's J is for...you know what? Fuck it, jizz it is"

Kibayasu posted:

The Burton LMR and its fire bullets allows you to become one of the greatest annoyance to planes a single infantry person has ever been able to become in a Battlefield game.

The Burton really is an amazing one trick pony. It fires so fast and kicks quite a bit so it's not really that great against infantry behind CQB but the alternate fire absolutely makes the gun.

Guillermus
Dec 28, 2009

Philman posted:

A 1080Ti should be fine for 2042. BFV should be fine with that card too.

Not with an i7 2600k as CPU. BFV is already too much for it. And yes, I'm not complaining that the game is CPU heavy because all BF games were. But I don't plan on upgrading any time soon when all games I play on PC run fine like Doom Eternal on high capped at 120fps or any retro shooter.

Who knows, maybe nu:dice: makes an optimized game that runs fine on my PC even on low settings but even after that, I personally will wait months to get the game, cheaper when a lot of the stuff gets fixed (or not).

Bohemian Nights
Jul 14, 2006

When I wake up,
I look into the mirror
I can see a clearer, vision
I should start living today
Clapping Larry
riflen give this poor man a new cpu

Guillermus
Dec 28, 2009

Bohemian Nights posted:

riflen give this poor man a new cpu

Nah! I'll probably get a new motherboard/cpu/ram next year but again, I rather play Demon's Souls remastered.

wjs5
Aug 22, 2009
All of these replies and no one brought up BF Vietnam and blasting music out of your chopper as you flew by?

Inspector Hound
Jul 14, 2003

wjs5 posted:

All of these replies and no one brought up BF Vietnam and blasting music out of your chopper as you flew by?

I developed an instinctive fear of the song "nowhere to run"

FUCK SNEEP
Apr 21, 2007

I played the hell out of BF1942 and BF2, but I completely missed out on BF:Vietnam and BF2142. Like I never heard of them until they were already well past their release date and dead. What a shame!

Most of my lasting memories of BF2 were laggy gunfights and bullets that never managed to hit anyone...and being a medic on Karkand and getting to the top of the scoreboard. BC2 with WookWook and KFS were my jam, though.

Kibayasu
Mar 28, 2010

I don’t even remember hearing about BF Vietnam when it was released because I was still chin deep into Desert Combat.

Fried Watermelon
Dec 29, 2008

wjs5 posted:

I had a Geforce 4 440MX and like 256mb of RAM with a poo poo CPU and loved BFV even though it looked like this at 10fps:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=6NJGBPPqCig

Look how crazy it looks with better specs:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=yXa3xleSKbg

Mordja
Apr 26, 2014

Hell Gem
BF:V was a game I only ever played at the local internet cafe, but I remember some great moments coming from it. You know, I'd also like DICE to experiment with asymmetrical factions again, it was def the one game in that series where it made a huge difference.

Ardent Communist
Oct 17, 2010

ALLAH! MU'AMMAR! LIBYA WA BAS!
Funny, I just looked at that BF:V video and I could swear aside from the weapon models looking slightly better, the vietnam mod in bf1942 had better looking maps and vehicles.

PittTheElder
Feb 13, 2012

:geno: Yes, it's like a lava lamp.

Guillermus posted:

Not with an i7 2600k as CPU. BFV is already too much for it. And yes, I'm not complaining that the game is CPU heavy because all BF games were. But I don't plan on upgrading any time soon when all games I play on PC run fine like Doom Eternal on high capped at 120fps or any retro shooter.

Who knows, maybe nu:dice: makes an optimized game that runs fine on my PC even on low settings but even after that, I personally will wait months to get the game, cheaper when a lot of the stuff gets fixed (or not).

Make the jump goon! In a weird coincidence I just upgraded from an i7-2600k (to a Ryzen 5 5600X) and finally got some proper DDR4 memory in there and hoo boy does it ever feel good.

Scrub-Niggurath
Nov 27, 2007

Basically everything that they added from the naval DLC onward (so starting with the Perino) is a good gun. Just do yourself a favor on the non-telescopic guns and switch to AA sights

jisforjosh
Jun 6, 2006

"It's J is for...you know what? Fuck it, jizz it is"

Scrub-Niggurath posted:

Basically everything that they added from the naval DLC onward (so starting with the Perino) is a good gun. Just do yourself a favor on the non-telescopic guns and switch to AA sights

Wasn't the Perino from the Russian DLC and not the later Naval one?

Philman
Jan 20, 2004

Guillermus posted:

Not with an i7 2600k as CPU.

https://ark.intel.com/content/www/us/en/ark/products/52214/intel-core-i7-2600k-processor-8m-cache-up-to-3-80-ghz.html

2011 :11tea:

it's a champ of a CPU but time moves on. DOOM is just the exception to the rule. I think you'll be at sub 60 FPS with 2042. I wouldn't completely write it off as unplayable.

Later in BFV's lifecycle they added a setting to lower the amount of processor intensive objects. lowering that might help. Future frame rendering and G-sync can make a big difference to how smooth the game feels too.

Rev. Bleech_
Oct 19, 2004

~OKAY, WE'LL DRINK TO OUR LEGS!~

Philman posted:

A 1080Ti should be fine for 2042. BFV should be fine with that card too.

really hoping my GTX 960 is acceptable because lol at the idea of upgrading any time before budget-friendly $200-and-lower cards are available again

Scrub-Niggurath
Nov 27, 2007

jisforjosh posted:

Wasn't the Perino from the Russian DLC and not the later Naval one?

You’re right, I just never used it until the all the MGs got rebalanced around that time; either way the Perino, MG 08/18 and M1917 are all really good if you like medium-longer distance LMGs

the MG15 is also pretty good

Guillermus
Dec 28, 2009

Philman posted:

https://ark.intel.com/content/www/us/en/ark/products/52214/intel-core-i7-2600k-processor-8m-cache-up-to-3-80-ghz.html

2011 :11tea:

it's a champ of a CPU but time moves on. DOOM is just the exception to the rule. I think you'll be at sub 60 FPS with 2042. I wouldn't completely write it off as unplayable.

Later in BFV's lifecycle they added a setting to lower the amount of processor intensive objects. lowering that might help. Future frame rendering and G-sync can make a big difference to how smooth the game feels too.

Yeah I know, I built my i7 2600k along with a 560Ti and 8Gb DDR3 during summer 2011 to be ready for BF3 :3:

I'll keep it tho, even if I build a new PC this champ will stay running until it dies. But no, I'm not going to install BFV even to try that new setting when I can just play any of the other good BF games.

ScootsMcSkirt
Oct 29, 2013

Guillermus posted:

Yeah I know, I built my i7 2600k along with a 560Ti and 8Gb DDR3 during summer 2011 to be ready for BF3 :3:

hell ya :same:

I did upgrade the gpu to a 960 a year before BFV came out. couldnt fuckin believe that machine was able to run BFV as well as it did; was probably around 30-40 fps on low/medium settings

thankfully i built a whole new machine on jan 2019, which ended up being some really good timing. No way in hell id be able to afford a new pc now

LampkinsMateSteve
Jan 1, 2005

I've really fucked it. Have I fucked it?
I also got my i7 2600k for BF3. Going for the 8 thread CPU seemed like a real extravagance at the time, but it really paid off. BFV runs "OK" paired with a 2060 Super, but I do plan to finally upgrade for BF 2042.

Target Practice
Aug 20, 2004

Shit.

PittTheElder posted:

Make the jump goon! In a weird coincidence I just upgraded from an i7-2600k (to a Ryzen 5 5600X) and finally got some proper DDR4 memory in there and hoo boy does it ever feel good.

Echoing this, I took a look at my Newegg order history and the components for my current computer shipped out on May 26, 2010 lol. I went from an i7-920 and a donated 660ti to a soon to be assembled 5600x and 2080. I can't wait!

Assepoester
Jul 18, 2004
Probation
Can't post for 11 years!
Melman v2

RCarr posted:

Hardline better than 1? Please

Blue Raider posted:

I don’t like it’s over reliance on animations, spawning in vehicles as a stupid pilot class, or multiple variations of the same weapon. It’s still good overall.
Yeah Hardline was too close to BF4 overall but that does mean it was the last BF with a cornucopia of vehicles to pick from at all times, so it remains better overall

Kibayasu
Mar 28, 2010

I’m still going to ride for vehicle animations being good though my favourite one isn’t a vehicle at all but the reload animation on the field gun. That is just so satisfying to watch.

Roki B
Jul 25, 2004

Medical Industrial Complex

Biscuit Hider

ScootsMcSkirt posted:

hell ya :same:

I did upgrade the gpu to a 960 a year before BFV came out. couldnt fuckin believe that machine was able to run BFV as well as it did; was probably around 30-40 fps on low/medium settings

thankfully i built a whole new machine on jan 2019, which ended up being some really good timing. No way in hell id be able to afford a new pc now

Nothing like being lucky. I built late 2018 and then got my hands on a 3090 via insider dealings.

Maybe with my new M.2 drive I can load in fast enough to become a jetsperg. Every other battlefield by the time I loaded in on my grandpa HDD, the SSD crew would already be in the air.

henpod
Mar 7, 2008

Sir, we have located the Bioweapon.
College Slice
We've all seen gameplay by now, but this is the best one I've seen. Gives you a much better sense of what its like to play the game with plenty of action, and a good flow of skirmishes. The movement speed / sliding doesn't seem all that extreme when someone is using a reasonable FOV. Also, the explosions look great.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=NYWTjeHa8qs&t=484s

codo27
Apr 21, 2008

Roki B posted:

Nothing like being lucky. I built late 2018 and then got my hands on a 3090 via insider dealings.

Maybe with my new M.2 drive I can load in fast enough to become a jetsperg. Every other battlefield by the time I loaded in on my grandpa HDD, the SSD crew would already be in the air.

You...you had a 3090 before you had a SSD? My 2013 rig had a 500gb Evo as a main. Sure, I paid like $400 CAD for the thing but it was worth it. Current rig only has m.2 drives.

henpod
Mar 7, 2008

Sir, we have located the Bioweapon.
College Slice
I can't tell you the who or why of this, but its really dumb and I admit I laughed.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=yjOJUYGbDwQ

Hot Diggity!
Apr 3, 2010

SKELITON_BRINGING_U_ON.GIF

henpod posted:

We've all seen gameplay by now, but this is the best one I've seen. Gives you a much better sense of what its like to play the game with plenty of action, and a good flow of skirmishes. The movement speed / sliding doesn't seem all that extreme when someone is using a reasonable FOV. Also, the explosions look great.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=NYWTjeHa8qs&t=484s

Siiick this is some of the first footage where there's actually a lot of good combat!

pro starcraft loser
Jan 23, 2006

Stand back, this could get messy.

Being able to change optics/mags/etc in the middle of a firefight seems really dumb.

LampkinsMateSteve
Jan 1, 2005

I've really fucked it. Have I fucked it?

henpod posted:

I can't tell you the who or why of this, but its really dumb and I admit I laughed.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=yjOJUYGbDwQ

Now that is dumb, so no idea why I was so tickled by it.

Sgt. Cosgrove
Mar 16, 2007

How about I bend your body into funny balloon animal shapes?

pro starcraft loser posted:

Being able to change optics/mags/etc in the middle of a firefight seems really dumb.

Very dumb but also I did it a LOT. System definitely had some bugs though, like you basically had 3 pools of ammo, one for each type, even though some mags were identical but didnt share same pool. ie "Medium Ammo" vs " Extended Medium Ammo". Im hoping in full game you'll have the option to customize what your hot-swap mods are, would suck if they were pre-defined for every gun.

FAUXTON
Jun 2, 2005

spero che tu stia bene

pro starcraft loser posted:

you mean cool

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Yami Fenrir
Jan 25, 2015

Is it I that is insane... or the rest of the world?
I mean all of these things are literally attachments, as in you...

attach...

them...

when you need them.

Plus in BF4 I certainly had situations where I wish I could get rid of my 6x scope on my DMR or similar things. I'm all for it.