Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Doc Block
Apr 15, 2003
Fun Shoe
gotta get to 90s nostalgia first

anyway I hope nostalgia for the 00s never happens, what a cultural wasteland that decade was

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Share Bear
Apr 27, 2004

Doc Block posted:

anyway I hope nostalgia for the 00s never happens, what a cultural wasteland that decade was

i argue this for the late 90s as well

numetal is toxically awful

Doc Block
Apr 15, 2003
Fun Shoe
late 90s had lots of great stuff

nu-metal was mostly early-00s anyway

cinci zoo sniper
Mar 15, 2013

Doc Block posted:

whale tails are coming back, baby!!

cinci zoo sniper
Mar 15, 2013

and frosted tips, of course

refleks
Nov 21, 2006

release the new apple watch timb

mediaphage
Mar 22, 2007

Excuse me, pardon me, sheer perfection coming through

cinci zoo sniper posted:

and frosted tips, of course

*digs out puka shell necklace*

Casual Encountess
Dec 14, 2005

"You can see how they go from being so sweet to tearing your face off,
just like that,
and it's amazing to have that range."

Thunderdome Exclusive

Doc Block posted:

lmao look at a young person rn. they all dress like jurassic park teenagers now or they wear jncos and chunky rear end shoes.

we there bb

Endless Mike
Aug 13, 2003

Doc Block posted:

late 90s had lots of great stuff

nu-metal was mostly early-00s anyway

i'm not sure what you think is being described as "nu-metal" here, but the common understanding is bands like korn, limp bizkit, and so on who may have started early to mid 90s but the genre didn't hit it big until "life is peachy" hit #3 in 1996, and then it exploded from there and you got even worse knockoffs like staind and POD and such

Silver Alicorn
Mar 30, 2008

𝓪 𝓻𝓮𝓭 𝓹𝓪𝓷𝓭𝓪 𝓲𝓼 𝓪 𝓬𝓾𝓻𝓲𝓸𝓾𝓼 𝓼𝓸𝓻𝓽 𝓸𝓯 𝓬𝓻𝓮𝓪𝓽𝓾𝓻𝓮
appule computre

Workaday Wizard
Oct 23, 2009

by Pragmatica

Silver Alicorn posted:

appule computre

i heard it's a profitable company

Mr. Nice!
Oct 13, 2005

c-spam cannot afford

Endless Mike posted:

i'm not sure what you think is being described as "nu-metal" here, but the common understanding is bands like korn, limp bizkit, and so on who may have started early to mid 90s but the genre didn't hit it big until "life is peachy" hit #3 in 1996, and then it exploded from there and you got even worse knockoffs like staind and POD and such

staind had a really good first hit in mudshovel

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=FuAC9YIC2Bs

Silver Alicorn
Mar 30, 2008

Workaday Wizard posted:

i heard it's a profitable company

yeah, they invented the smartphone.

Casual Encountess
Dec 14, 2005

just like that,

Thunderdome Exclusive

i ride my bike by this frequently

Drastic Actions
Apr 7, 2009

FUCK YOU!
GET PUMPED!
Nap Ghost

Casual Encountess posted:

i ride my bike by this frequently

The inventor of EMAIL is running for U.S Senate???

Jonny 290
May 5, 2005

[ASK] me about OS/2 Warp
hell yes INVENTOR of EMAIL

Sagebrush
Feb 26, 2012

There is a car parked on my street with vinyl stickers reading DOLAN LAW COURTESY CAR and every time I see it I think of Jerry.

Also on recycling day last week I saw the box for a BEMIS toilet seat.

Jonny 290
May 5, 2005

[ASK] me about OS/2 Warp
the sovcit van is living at the park down the street. he's been parked there next to a school bus somebody's living in and an RV, theyve been there about four days now.

i'd get a pic but i'm absolutely not going to get shot for funny picture

back of the van has NOT FOR HIRE in hardware store stick on letters

Binary Badger
Oct 11, 2005

Trolling Link for a decade

Jonny 290 posted:

i'd get a pic but i'm absolutely not going to get shot for funny picture

who says you have to risk your own skin?

https://www.blueskiesdronerental.com

Jonny 290
May 5, 2005

[ASK] me about OS/2 Warp
i own a drone but they are illegal to fly in city parks

Sagebrush
Feb 26, 2012

If you stick NOT FOR HIRE on the drone you can do anything you want with it.

haveblue
Aug 15, 2005

Toilet Rascal
add a gold fringe to your drone, then it's traveling and not flying

Doc Block
Apr 15, 2003
Fun Shoe

Endless Mike posted:

IIRC nu-metal didn’t really go into overdrive until the early-mid 00s. I’m not just talking about rap-metal Limp Bizkit wannabes tho, but bands like Shinedown and Avenged Sevenfold.

that might be too broad of a definition of nu-metal tho 🤷‍♂️

infernal machines
Oct 11, 2012

we monitor many frequencies. we listen always. came a voice, out of the babel of tongues, speaking to us. it played us a mighty dub.
i prefer an academically rigorous definition of nu-metal, thank you

EIDE Van Hagar
Dec 8, 2000

Beep Boop

Doc Block posted:

IIRC nu-metal didn’t really go into overdrive until the early-mid 00s. I’m not just talking about rap-metal Limp Bizkit wannabes tho, but bands like Shinedown and Avenged Sevenfold.

that might be too broad of a definition of nu-metal tho 🤷‍♂️

yeah i worked at a radio station group when i was in college, like 2001-2005 and it was solid nu metal pods, linkin parks, stainds, limp bizkits on the alt-rock station, but the mid-late 90s the same station had played your gin blossoms, sublimes, third eye blinds, smashing pumpkins, nirvanas unplugged

Casual Encountess
Dec 14, 2005

just like that,

Thunderdome Exclusive

and now classic rock stations play nirvana

haveblue
Aug 15, 2005

Toilet Rascal
third eyes blind

Agile Vector
May 21, 2007

scrum bored

Casual Encountess posted:

and now classic rock stations play nirvana

infernal machines
Oct 11, 2012

we monitor many frequencies. we listen always. came a voice, out of the babel of tongues, speaking to us. it played us a mighty dub.
the watch is too big!

quote:

You might think this kvetching is akin to when a vocal group of folks claimed they hated oversized iPhones, but when the iPhone 12 Mini launched, they didn’t put their money where their mouths were. I’ll admit, larger screens allow for better readability. But a smartwatch differs from your phone in a crucial way—you actually have to wear it. Advanced features are neat, but they’re not useful if a smartwatch is too uncomfortable to wear.

Jonny 290
May 5, 2005

[ASK] me about OS/2 Warp
i have a 44mm series 6 and weak beta chicken wrists and it fits perfectly. that clickbait rear end in a top hat can shut the gently caress up.

Casual Encountess
Dec 14, 2005

just like that,

Thunderdome Exclusive

lmao even a small rolex weighs more than a large apple watch

also when is the next iphone event im up for an upgrade and im ready to get the XL phone

Silver Alicorn
Mar 30, 2008

I have the 40mm 🍎 watch and it looks v cute

kitten emergency
Jan 13, 2008

get meow this wack-ass crystal prison
give me the big watch

FMguru
Sep 10, 2003

peed on;
sexually

kitten emergency posted:

give me the big watch

Lysidas
Jul 26, 2002

John Diefenbaker is a madman who thinks he's John Diefenbaker.
Pillbug

quote:

You might think this kvetching is akin to when a vocal group of folks claimed they hated oversized iPhones, but when the iPhone 12 Mini launched, they didn’t put their money where their mouths were.

i am loving tired of hearing this, i got a 12 mini to replace a 1st gen SE that i was extremely happy to keep using until it no longer got ios updates, and a signifcant part of why i did that was to say "hey apple, you did what i wanted, here is my money" (not the biggest part of why i got a new phone but not zero either)

and it also got me to buy a apple watch for partial face unlock

what the gently caress else do people writing these articles expect, me to buy 10 more 12s mini?

post hole digger
Mar 21, 2011

Jonny 290 posted:

i have a 44mm series 6 and weak beta chicken wrists and it fits perfectly. that clickbait rear end in a top hat can shut the gently caress up.

ya

infernal machines
Oct 11, 2012

Lysidas posted:

i am loving tired of hearing this, i got a 12 mini to replace a 1st gen SE that i was extremely happy to keep using until it no longer got ios updates, and a signifcant part of why i did that was to say "hey apple, you did what i wanted, here is my money" (not the biggest part of why i got a new phone but not zero either)

and it also got me to buy a apple watch for partial face unlock

what the gently caress else do people writing these articles expect, me to buy 10 more 12s mini?

yes.

i mean, i bought one too, as did millions of others, but not enough millions for apple. the apparent proof of this is one report that said it accounted for only six percent of all iphones sold in the month that it launched.

so, in theory, out of all the iphones sold in the month of october 2020, only 6% were minis. i got mine in november, dooming the line.

Achmed Jones
Oct 16, 2004

i didn't get a 12 mini bc my iphone 8 works fine. i'll probably buy one if i drop this one in the tub though. i also like the fingerprint reader but that's clearly a fight i can't win so 🤷‍♀️

that's right it's time for another epsom salt bath!!!!

rjmccall
Sep 7, 2007

no worries friend
Fun Shoe
in absolute terms, there are surely people who would buy a 12 mini if they found themselves in the market for a new phone, but who did not buy one in the first few months they were available because they had no good reason to buy a new phone. in percentage terms, though, you have to assume that the people who would abstractly prefer a 12 mini are substantially overrepresented in the sample of people who bought new phones at that time. and at least some of those people are borderline cases and would really be just as happy with a larger phone. so the question is whether it's worthwhile for apple to design, source, manufacture, and sell a product line that benefits maybe 2-3% of their customers. and i mean, maybe? maybe it is, i dunno. i'm sure there are companies that make a profit selling fewer phones than apple sold 12 minis

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Achmed Jones
Oct 16, 2004

yeah. i hope they keep the form factor though. i really hate the idea that it's somehow my responsibility as a customer/consumer to buy product i want even if don't need them to show companies i want that product. it's a weird and toxic viewpoint - an extension of the idea that it's my responsibility to reward companies that do non lovely stuff rather than companies' responsibility to not be lovely. that being extended to the mere existence of a product is even stranger

Achmed Jones fucked around with this message at 01:52 on Aug 25, 2021