Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

karmicknight
Aug 21, 2011
I mean, it is deffo at least partially to blame. They don't call it the Tarkin Doctrine because he's good a branding. They call it that because the dude loves two things, graft and shooting himself in the foot in order to be able to do a new and novel atrocity.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Toph Bei Fong
Feb 29, 2008

Just how many girlfriends does Tarkin have stashed around the galaxy? Are large portions of the Imperial military kinda like Amazon Prime, which mainly exists to help Jeff Bezos meet and date Hollywood actresses in the lead up to/after his divorce, and just incidentally makes movies and TV shows?

SlothfulCobra
Mar 27, 2011

After the outbreak of the Clone Wars, the Republic extended membership to the distant planet of Kamino in order to safeguard the source of the clone army, and Kamino was granted a full seat in the senate as well. This is who they sent as their senator.

She used her seat in the senate mainly to petition the Republic to take out more loans to spend more money on expanding its military, using the war to enrich Kamino.

Her name is Halle Burtoni.

Jazerus
May 24, 2011

halle burtoni and her senatorial aide, dik che'nee

Defiance Industries
Jul 22, 2010

A five-star manufacturer

SlothfulCobra posted:

After the outbreak of the Clone Wars, the Republic extended membership to the distant planet of Kamino in order to safeguard the source of the clone army, and Kamino was granted a full seat in the senate as well. This is who they sent as their senator.

She used her seat in the senate mainly to petition the Republic to take out more loans to spend more money on expanding its military, using the war to enrich Kamino.

Her name is Halle Burtoni.

Any time someone tries to suggest that some theory based entirely on circumstantial background poo poo is what Lucas "intended" I point to stuff like this and Nute Gunray.

George Lucas has the mind of a child.

Cease to Hope
Dec 12, 2011
darth insanius

SlothfulCobra
Mar 27, 2011

In fairness, naming characters can be hard, and when you've committed to weird alien names, it takes a lot of confidence to stick to any one weird alien name, because they're all gonna sound dumb, at least at first, and it's hard to know what names can get past that. Also I don't think Lucas wrote the episodes Halle Burtoni showed up in, but anything's possible, he had some kind of involvement in the show.

In one of the first cuts of Star Wars, Luke's friends called him Wormy.

skasion
Feb 13, 2012

Why don't you perform zazen, facing a wall?

SlothfulCobra posted:

In fairness, naming characters can be hard, and when you've committed to weird alien names, it takes a lot of confidence to stick to any one weird alien name, because they're all gonna sound dumb, at least at first, and it's hard to know what names can get past that. Also I don't think Lucas wrote the episodes Halle Burtoni showed up in, but anything's possible, he had some kind of involvement in the show.

In one of the first cuts of Star Wars, Luke's friends called him Wormy.

https://youtu.be/nmg3kmq8PKU

The Adventures of Luke “Wormy” Skywalker

Hazo
Dec 30, 2004

SCIENCE

Defiance Industries posted:

Any time someone tries to suggest that some theory based entirely on circumstantial background poo poo is what Lucas "intended" I point to stuff like this and Nute Gunray.

George Lucas has the mind of a child.

“I hate how Star Wars became so SJW female-focused. Keep your politics out of my space laser movies”

Bitch did you actually watch the movies? The fact that so many Star Wars “fans” are turbo chuddy is still really weird to me.

Defiance Industries
Jul 22, 2010

A five-star manufacturer

Hazo posted:

Bitch did you actually watch the movies? The fact that so many Star Wars “fans” are turbo chuddy is still really weird to me.

They also have the same inability to look at things beyond the surface that Lucas does.

Robot Style
Jul 5, 2009

SlothfulCobra posted:

Also I don't think Lucas wrote the episodes Halle Burtoni showed up in, but anything's possible, he had some kind of involvement in the show.

Apparently Lucas specifically asked them to do an arc about banking deregulation, so any of the more political stuff is probably something he had a hand in.

Jazerus
May 24, 2011

quote:

Meanwhile, it is revealed that, thanks to the healing tears of Vergere and regular relations with her husband Luke, Mara Jade Skywalker realizes that she is pregnant.

ingredients for a star wars baby: sex, but more importantly, some weirdo's tears

Raluek
Nov 3, 2006

WUT.

Jazerus posted:

ingredients for a star wars baby: sex, but more importantly, some weirdo's tears

"tears of vergere" is clearly supposed to be metaphorical, my dude

Robot Style
Jul 5, 2009

Gotta have chicken tears to keep my wife from getting a coomb infection.

quote:

Han Solo rescued them from the Peace Brigade shuttle, but realizing their defection was a ploy he fought with Elan and she was killed by her own bioweapon. Vergere fled in a Millennium Falcon escape pod. Before jettisoning, she threw Solo a vial of her tears, which would be used later to slow the deadly coomb spore disease contracted by Mara Jade Skywalker.

drkhrs2020
Jul 22, 2007
The star wars galaxy had an entire libertarian space sector that never got featured again beyond casual name drops for one of those easter eggs that wookipedia editors squee.

skasion
Feb 13, 2012

Darth Bane, legendary Dark Lord of the Sith and first teacher of the Rule of Two, was Australian

Asterite34
May 19, 2009

skasion posted:

Darth Bane, legendary Dark Lord of the Sith and first teacher of the Rule of Two, was Australian

...like, Space Australia, or Actual Australia?

ThisIsJohnWayne
Feb 23, 2007
Ooo! Look at me! NO DON'T LOOK AT ME!

Asterite34 posted:

...like, Space Australia, or Actual Australia?

New thread title

Horizon Burning
Oct 23, 2019
:discourse:

skasion posted:

bane?

Phobeste
Apr 9, 2006

never, like, count out Touchdown Tom, man
Yeah he was actually named darth bone but nobody could hear it right

Wheeljack
Jul 12, 2021
Remember when Lando went undercover disguised as Captain Harlock?

Hazo
Dec 30, 2004

SCIENCE

I like how Lando's idea of disguise is cosplaying as a JRPG villain while Chewie appears to just have kind of thrown on a poncho.

Davros1
Jul 19, 2007

You've got to admit, you are kind of implausible

Compared to names like Darth Bane, Darth Revan, Darth Nihilus, and Darth Traya, Darth Insanius is practically quaint.

Jazerus
May 24, 2011

people misunderstand that story. it wasn't lucas being an out-of-touch weirdo, it was him being an rear end in a top hat. "your video game guy doesn't deserve a serious sith title, how about darth shithead?" is what he was actually saying by suggesting darth insanius

Asgerd
May 6, 2012

I worked up a powerful loneliness in my massive bed, in the massive dark.
Grimey Drawer
Yeah, I don’t really understand why goons hear that story and think Lucas is some kind of epic badass troll for treating his own powerless employees like poo poo

skasion
Feb 13, 2012

Sorry, it’s definitely funny that a bunch of video games nerds designed the ultimate Star Wars OC do not steal and pitched it to Lucas himself and he told them they were morons

Asgerd
May 6, 2012

I worked up a powerful loneliness in my massive bed, in the massive dark.
Grimey Drawer

skasion posted:

Sorry, it’s definitely funny that a bunch of video games nerds designed the ultimate Star Wars OC do not steal and pitched it to Lucas himself and he told them they were morons

Case in point.

Robot Style
Jul 5, 2009

The second part of the Lucas video game naming anecdote is from Fracture, where they wanted to name the character Mason Briggs (Mason for the game's terrain deformation gimmick, and Briggs because the first level takes place on Alcatraz - in the brig). Lucas saw the character's movement in a gameplay demo and thought he should be called "BJ Dart" instead. Both names are stupid - one's boring and the other's too goofy, and they eventually settled on Jet Brody because apparently you can get Lucas to agree to stuff as long as you name it after one of his kids.

Open Marriage Night
Sep 18, 2009

"Do you want to talk to a spider, Peter?"

Wasn't there a Jedi with the last name Bates because the comic editor had a habit of putting Master infront of a Jedi's name?

Don-Wan Kihotay the fake Jedi, and Jaxxon the big green rabbit, are two amazing characters from the original run of Marvel Star Wars comics.

SlothfulCobra
Mar 27, 2011

I finally got around to watching The Mandalorian, and it made me think about how Mandalorians seem like they're portrayed wildly different in pretty much every piece of media they're featured in, and I wanna run down all the ones I've seen. Wiki editors and sourcebook writers do a lot of work reconciling the discrepancies, and a lot of the differences could be passed off as being from different time periods, but it's still a pretty weird timeline.
  • Tales of the Jedi: Mandalorians are a roving bunch of warriors led by Mandalore looking for conquest. They get dominated by Ulic Qel Droma and used to attack Coruscant as part of some complicated plan. They are mostly depicted armed with spears in their focal scenes and ride Basalisk War droids, which are some kind of flying robot dragon with a head made of guns. Towards the end, some of them are depicted without their armor as some kind of gargoyle-looking aliens.
    -In a magazine article, it gets described that the type of alien they are is the "Taung" and they were originally one of the races living on Coruscant before they got forced out in a war.
  • Knights of the Old Republic comic: Mandalorians are a bunch of warriors led by Mandalore to attack the Old Republic for the sake of the challenge of conquest (but there's some suspicion over the reasons). The only two unmasked Mandalorians are a human and a zeltron, and there's a whole thing where they aggressively recruit people into their ranks, even taking captured soldiers and putting them armor on the frontlines.
  • Knights of the Old Republic games: Mandalorians are the shattered remnants of a once-great army scattered all over the galaxy from a failed attack on the Old Republic. There's an appearance of a Basilisk War Droid, but it doesn't look anything like a dragon, and it's apparently a dropship that a group of people can ride inside. Apparently the change was made specifically because Chris Avellone thought robot dragons were stupid.
  • Jango Fett: Open Seasons comic: Mandalorians are a mercenary group, led by Jaster Mareel. At some point in the past, they went through a schism and a faction led by Tor Vizsla broke off from them and called itself the Death Watch. Other than their name and symbol, they are differentiated from other Mandalorians by having extra-gaunt helmets with little wings. Jaster Mareel was born on the planet Concord Dawn, and while running another mission on that planet, he finds a boy from a farming family that was killed by Death Watch, and Jaster adopts him. That was Jango Fett. Jango eventually takes over the Mandalorians when Jaster Mareel dies (betrayed by one of his own, Montross), only for all of them to get killed off after being lured into fighting a bunch of Jedi by Death Watch. The comic leads directly into the Bounty Hunter video game where Jango kills Montross and gets hired by Lord Tyrannus to be the template for a clone army.
  • Attack of the Clones: The clone army is made with their armor largely patterned after Jango Fett's. Jango Fett is a cutthroat bounty hunter who fights mainly with twin pistols and is prone to picking up custom weapons from wherever he lives at the time. When he's killed, his clone son Boba Fett picks up his helmet.
  • Clone Wars TV show: Mandalore is a planet, ruled by a duchess. The Duchess leads a faction of "neutral systems" dedicated to pacifism, and Mandalore has apparently given up its violent ways (although when she was younger she was always on the run from people trying to kill her and needed Jedi protection). All Mandalorian warriors were banished to Mandalore's moon Concordia where they all allegedly died off.
    -Mandalore's police wear goggles and the royal guards wear manta ray lookin' helmets. There's not a sign of a mandalorian T helmet until they investigate the governor of Concordia, Pre Vizsla, who turns out to have built up his own force of Mandalorian warriors dedicated to overthrowing the Duchess, including her sister. He calls his force Death Watch as well. He also wields a black lightsaber apparently built by the first (and possibly only) Mandalorian Jedi. After being found out, Pre shaves his head and pops up now and then running his schemes until he overthrows the duchess but then gets himself overthrown by Darth Maul
  • Rebels TV show: Mandalorians are a people known for their fighting, and are all divided into clans that have apparently ancestral loyalties? All of them fight with twin pistols. Concord Dawn is a planet controlled by Mandalorian "protectors", and the planet itself is physically shattered by some long ago war. There's no real sign of any civilians or farms. Mandalore itself has submitted to Gar Saxon who has pledged Mandalore's loyalty to the empire and provide the empire with jetpack stormtroopers, but other Mandalorians rebel against him. The duchess's sister swears to fight the Empire with bombs and guns just how she knew the pacifist duchess would've wanted. She gets offered and accepts the black lightsaber, which apparently has become a symbol of Mandalorian legitimacy.
  • Star Wars Holiday Special cartoon: Ultra double-noncanon. Boba Fett rides a dinosaur and weilds a rifle with a tuning fork coming out the other end. C-3PO declares him "Darth Vader's right-hand man", but even in context it sounds like he's exaggerating.
  • Empire Strikes Back and Return of the Jedi: Boba Fett is just a bounty hunter with a suit of armor and a jetpack. His main weapon is a single rifle. He gets knocked into a sarlacc, but there was a whole speech about how the sarlacc kills very, very slowly.
  • Tales From Jabba's Palace: Protected by his armor, Boba Fett eventually activates his jetpack and flies out of the sarlacc. Later he returns to blow it up.
  • The Mandalorian series: The Empire has done terrible, terrible, nondescript things to Mandalore. Mandalorians live in secret hidey-holes around the galaxy and as part of an elaborate code of honor, have sworn to never take off their armor in front of anybody. Their armor is made of a special Beskar metal that the Empire forged into ingots after doing whatever they did on Mandalore. The main character Mandalorian was adopted into the clan and weilds a rifle with a forked tip and occasionally rides a dinosaur. And it turns out that he was actually adopted by a weird side faction of Mandalorians called "The Watch" and other Mandalorians don't listen to any of that trash. Still, somehow The Watch kept their records on Mandalore, so who knows what's going on there. Possibly there's only just the one Watch enclave. The duchess's sister shows up, with her own scheme to rebuild/re-liberate Mandalore, but this time, she can't claim the black lightsaber unless it's in direct, single combat. Strategic or proxy victories don't count.
And that's all the Mandalorian stories I've seen. I didn't really read any EU novels about Mandalorians, but I did hear a bunch of stuff about them being depicted as the ultimate warriors who can take down Jedi, and I'm gonna assume there was some book about Boba Fett being drawn to Mandalore by some kind of political intrigue that he ultimately disavows in order to continue being a solo bounty hunter.

Speleothing
May 6, 2008

Spare batteries are pretty key.
The much-loathed Karen Travis wrote a bunch of books about them in the late-Bush/early Obama time. Only thing I remember is that she wanted them to be warrior-poets like the ancient Picts

Hazo
Dec 30, 2004

SCIENCE

She tried to make a meme (and this dates itself pretty well) where people who hated her poo poo writing should be called "Talifans."

skasion
Feb 13, 2012

Traviss wrote a bunch of stuff about the clones first and how they were cool and the jedi sucked. And how they had all this Mandalorian legacy to live up to. It came off as unintentionally funny, like she was writing imperial propaganda basically.

She then wrote a few of the Legacy of the Force books (Darth Jacen saga) in which Jaina has to learn how to kill Jedi from Boba Fett because he knows all about how to do that, apparently. Anyway we spend a bunch of time with Boba trying to raise his spunky grandkid on Mandalore, which is this kind of right-wing jerkoff fantasy society where everyone is a heavily armed egalitarian yeoman farmer.

I think the Filoni Mandos (CW/Rebels/Mando) are an answer to this idea of Traviss. They’re a society that is currently pacifistic and enlightened but they’re insecure in it. They have this violent, discreditable past that they haven’t really come to a reckoning with. Moreover, there are active reactionary forces in their society, armed extremists who have never come to terms with this change and that are trying to bring the bad old days back. And because of this their civilization is doomed.

SlothfulCobra
Mar 27, 2011

I dunno, part of the reason I posted that was all three of the projects Filoni was associated with don't seem to match. Like in Rebels, Fenn Rau gets angry at Sabine, because apparently her clan was with Deathwatch, but then what was he? The Duchess was very big on disavowing violence as a society, but Fenn Rau fought in the Clone Wars when the Duchess was making a big deal about not getting involved? Were Fenn Rau's Protectors a weird loophole? Are they a politically independent unit? Did offworld mandalorians rapidly militarize after the Deathwatch coup?

I guess we don't really see any of the civilian Mandalorians that were around in Clone Wars, so either they're somewhere offscreen in droves, or they declared allegiance to the various returning warrior clans after all the chaos in Clone Wars? And we see even less in The Mandalorian, there's just the pretender to the throne in exile and the weird secret fundamentalist cult. For all I know, that could even mean that the horrifying thing that happened to Mandalore is just disarmament.

Jazerus
May 24, 2011

i'm pretty sure that a lot of mandalorians didn't really take sides in the whole duchess vs death watch thing. jango fett's whole thing is that he led a moderate group, the "true mandalorians", that rejected both sides of the dichotomy, but then death watch tricked a jedi peacekeeping team, led by dooku, into massacring fett's followers at the battle of galidraan. which is what prompted dooku to reject the jedi as ineffectual dupes.

reignofevil
Nov 7, 2008
It's a real power move to be part of the idiot-morons who massacred the wrong people and then to go tell your bosses they suck rear end because they employ idiot morons like yourself.

Robot Style
Jul 5, 2009

Plus you've got the original-original backstory, where Boba Fett was touted as wearing the armor of the Mandalorian Supercommandos, a group of soldiers that were defeated by the Jedi during the Clone Wars, and established the "armored warriors who fight Jedi" precedent that every other version sticks with.

Despite the word Mandalorian never being mentioned in the script, it's possible that the description came from Lucas himself. Prior to the tie-in boom for the first Star Wars movie, Lucas provided backstory information about a bunch of characters for the comics and other tie-ins to use, so he may have done something similar for the new movie.

Eminent Domain
Sep 23, 2007

reignofevil posted:

It's a real power move to be part of the idiot-morons who massacred the wrong people and then to go tell your bosses they suck rear end because they employ idiot morons like yourself.

Honestly, I respect it. He ain't wrong.

Dapper_Swindler
Feb 14, 2012

Im glad my instant dislike in you has been validated again and again.

MadDogMike posted:

So, Wedge dated a women with feathers for hair. Unless she, ahem, "shaves", I think we've got evidence it's not just Corran Horn who's into the strange, but Corellians in general.

i feel like loving aliens is kinda normal in star wars. the exoctic poo poo is probably wanting to gently caress hutts or various non bipedal aliens. maybe those aliens that have six legged wolf babys.

Robot Style posted:

The second part of the Lucas video game naming anecdote is from Fracture, where they wanted to name the character Mason Briggs (Mason for the game's terrain deformation gimmick, and Briggs because the first level takes place on Alcatraz - in the brig). Lucas saw the character's movement in a gameplay demo and thought he should be called "BJ Dart" instead. Both names are stupid - one's boring and the other's too goofy, and they eventually settled on Jet Brody because apparently you can get Lucas to agree to stuff as long as you name it after one of his kids.

as a loser who played that game. the weirdest part of that game is they were trying to make a "second civil war" game but like the fight was over America should accept technological enhancements/augs/cyberware/etc on the east coast. and the west coast was into like bio genesplicing and poo poo. also the midwest and south were chaotic dead hosed to death warzones from climate poo poo and wars.

Davros1 posted:

Compared to names like Darth Bane, Darth Revan, Darth Nihilus, and Darth Traya, Darth Insanius is practically quaint.

true but those actually flow well enough and i will always love revan despite him becoming a massive massive mary sue.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Jazerus
May 24, 2011

Open Marriage Night posted:

Jaxxon the big green rabbit

jaxxon, uh, wouldn't happen to be the same species as this guy, would he??