Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Internet Janitor
May 17, 2008

"That isn't the appropriate trash receptacle."

Qwertycoatl posted:

reading the hn thread so you don't have to, this is less "personal gaming coach" and more "cheat program"

misread as "personal gaming couch" and was sorely disappointed

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Qwertycoatl
Dec 31, 2008

Internet Janitor posted:

misread as "personal gaming couch" and was sorely disappointed

gig economy getting increasingly degrading

DaTroof
Nov 16, 2000

CC LIMERICK CONTEST GRAND CHAMPION
There once was a poster named Troof
Who was getting quite long in the toof

fritz posted:

radu_floricica 20 hours ago [–]

Funny as you're twisting what I said. I'm really tempted to wonder if it's because of culture war, or your subconscious feels a bit guilty. Probably culture war.
I called inhuman being certain that you'll never randomly flirting with any young women you're working with, over many years. Not exactly what you're saying, is it?
Also for the record, most 17 years old are attractive. They're not dateable if you're older, not relationship material, illegal to have sex with in certain legislation, a bad idea to in most cases and so on. But attractive? Why wouldn't they be? Ah, because you called them "minors". I'm sorry for you, if you really live in that world.
Edit: should have probably used a less harsh tone. Sorry. I'll blame it on being misinterpreted so badly, but still.

quote:

radu_floricica 22 hours ago [–]

Back to the motorcycle metaphor. It's about risk management. You don't go out riding your bike expecting to fall. But you wear your helmet and take other measures because you also don't expect to never fall over 10 years of riding.

What I'm saying is: if the risk of mentoring young women is a sudden career end (possibly the greatest such risk), men will start taking it into consideration. Some will just be extra careful around women. Some will just decide it's not worth it.

you should avoid mentoring women because, much like motorcycle accidents, creeping on them is inevitable

quote:

Also, there's another thing I wanted so say from the beginning. People keep throwing around ideas like "you should never date people you're in a position of power over". Sure, when that position is that of a teacher, (foster) parent or coach, I totally agree it's a bad idea, most of the time. But if, like Aubrey, you're at the top of your professional domain... who exactly are you going to date? You're working, talking and socializing with people in your professional area 99% of the time. Yeah, you should pay extra care, but in the end you'll still end up dating in the same pool.

this guy is definitely a frequent flyer on a whisper network

DaTroof fucked around with this message at 22:00 on Aug 12, 2021

Sapozhnik
Jan 2, 2005

Nap Ghost

fritz posted:

wint (@dril) 20 hours ago [–]

Ah, because you called them "minors". I'm sorry for you, if you really live in that world.
Edit: should have probably used a less harsh tone. Sorry. I'll blame it on being misinterpreted so badly, but still.

fritz
Jul 26, 2003

DaTroof posted:

you should avoid mentoring women because, much like motorcycle accidents, creeping on them is inevitable

radu_floricica 1 day ago [–]

In an era that should have equal opportunity a non-issue, we're move straight into the opposite direction. Aubrey de Gray may be canceled. But the the most salient lesson here? Don't mentor young women, especially if they're remotely attractive. It's far from being worth the risk.
You think I'm exaggerating? What could kill a successful career these days? If you'll excuse me a flippant comparison, even a double digit chance of having caused Covid isn't doing it. But an accusation of misconduct years ago can. Just ponder the odds a bit.
So what would motivate somebody to risk this? "Just don't be a creep"? poo poo, if you think you can interact a couple of years with a pretty woman and are 100% certain you'll never flirt, you're... I was about to say "a better man than I", but on second thought, that's inhuman. Not the "not flirt" part, plenty of men succeed. But the being sure you won't, not with multiple women, over many years. I'm giving myself much better lifetime odds of not crashing my motorcycle.
So again... what's to gain for a successful professional in academia or business, to work with and mentor young women, when it's literally the only major risk on one's career? There are enough bright young men that are much safer.

DaTroof
Nov 16, 2000

i like the unintentional self-awareness of only considering scenarios where he doesn't already have a romantic partner

fart simpson
Jul 2, 2005

DEATH TO AMERICA
:xickos:

DaTroof posted:

what’s a whisper network

Plorkyeran
Mar 22, 2007

To Escape The Shackles Of The Old Forums, We Must Reject The Tribal Negativity He Endorsed
it is one of the names for the process of women informally warning other women who to avoid or be extra careful around, generally in a work context

eschaton
Mar 7, 2007

Don't you just hate when you wind up in a store with people who are in a socioeconomic class that is pretty obviously about two levels lower than your own?
it’s something that people like that hn poster really really want to crack down on

fart simpson
Jul 2, 2005

DEATH TO AMERICA
:xickos:

Plorkyeran posted:

it is one of the names for the process of women informally warning other women who to avoid or be extra careful around, generally in a work context

oh

dads friend steve
Dec 24, 2004

ah yes, getting accused by your intern of trying to pimp her out to your institute’s donors, something that can happen as easily as falling off a bike

Vinz Clortho
Jul 19, 2004

who among us?

DaTroof
Nov 16, 2000

dads friend steve posted:

ah yes, getting accused by your intern of trying to pimp her out to your institute’s donors, something that can happen as easily as falling off a bike

if all i have to do to ruin my career is forget that women who work in my industry are not literally prostitutes, what hope is there for me

DaTroof
Nov 16, 2000

doubling down cause this was funny/apropos enough to deserve an emptyquote

DaTroof fucked around with this message at 04:52 on Aug 13, 2021

dads friend steve
Dec 24, 2004

DaTroof posted:

doubling down cause this was funny/apropos enough to deserve an emptyquote

I looked up who aubrey de grey was because that’s who the HN creep used as an example and i never heard of him. it’s literally what he’s accused of doing :yikes:

DaTroof
Nov 16, 2000

I looked up who aubrey de grey was because that’s who the HN creep used as an example and i never heard of him. it’s literally what he’s accused of doing :yikes:

the counter arguments play it like he invited a woman to dinner and the actual accusation is that he asked a woman to exchange sex for donations

seriously, what the loving gently caress

DELETE CASCADE
Oct 25, 2017

i haven't washed my penis since i jerked it to a phtotograph of george w. bush in 2003
aubrey is the guy who goes on joe rogan and raises the money for the rest of those losers to waste on ultimately not solving aging

DaTroof
Nov 16, 2000

DELETE CASCADE posted:

aubrey is the guy who goes on joe rogan and raises the money for the rest of those losers to waste on ultimately not solving aging

now i gotta try to track down a funny rear end article i read a while ago. it listed a bunch of academics who were into anti-aging and said something like, "they all have one other thing in common besides their preoccupation with immortality: they're all dead"

FMguru
Sep 10, 2003

peed on;
sexually

DaTroof posted:

now i gotta try to track down a funny rear end article i read a while ago. it listed a bunch of academics who were into anti-aging and said something like, "they all have one other thing in common besides their preoccupation with immortality: they're all dead"
i remember an article looking at people predicting anti-aging breakthroughs and the one commonality they all had was that the breakthroughs would happen when the person making the confident predictions was in their mid-late 50s

DaTroof
Nov 16, 2000

FMguru posted:

i remember an article looking at people predicting anti-aging breakthroughs and the one commonality they all had was that the breakthroughs would happen when the person making the confident predictions was in their mid-late 50s

hahaha, relatable

fritz
Jul 26, 2003

CarVac 4 minutes ago [–]

A few years ago at family meals, for grace I started thanking the industrial supply complex for bringing us all the wonderful food.
I was being more prescient than I could have imagined.

fritz
Jul 26, 2003

eurasiantiger 1 hour ago [–]

Everything in your statement is false.
Most people don’t have the skills required to benefit from owning or operating a 3D printer, so most people don’t have anything to do with them.
They are still an emerging technology, with new applications reported steadily. Still, they are very interesting to most people, because 3D printing is basically wizardry in their eyes.
This use case is definitely novel, it even says so on the article. It may not be interesting to you, but your strong reaction reveals that you are actually angry at the feelings provoked by the article, and it might do you good to take a moment to analyse WHY you are having that kind of emotional reaction.

mrmcd
Feb 22, 2003

Pictured: The only good cop (a fictional one).

fritz posted:

CarVac 4 minutes ago [–]

A few years ago at family meals, for grace I started thanking the industrial supply complex for bringing us all the wonderful food.
I was being more prescient than I could have imagined.

Imagine having to eat dinner with this dweeb every day.

alexandriao
Jul 20, 2019

I didn’t know how to write about my sister’s death, so I had AI do it for me (believermag.com)
29 points by gozzoo 4 hours ago

stavros 1 hour ago [–]

I don't know, I thought some of them were great. "I thought my body had died without telling me", for example, I found surprisingly good, and some other parts I found insightful.

What did you find soulless? I wonder if you'd have the same opinion if you didn't know it's GPT-3.

Clark Nova
Jul 18, 2004

please just skip the funeral and dump my corpse in the ocean if you're planning to read off a chatbot eulogy

MononcQc
May 29, 2007

I read the post and the interesting bit is that the author just writes prompts, and as the AI writes disappointing/inaccurate text, she in turn makes the prompt longer and more descriptive. It takes about 10 runs, until you see that she has finally written the full story about the death of her sister herself, which she never managed to do before.

like of course HN gets hung up on whether gp3 is good or not because they’ll stare at the computer the way nbsd would stare at your shoes, but the good stuff is in the author making her own progress in writing about a painful event.

Hollow Talk
Feb 2, 2014
The interesting bit is that an AI is more capable of having something resembling a conversation with and being helpful to a woman than most hn poster, op.

dads friend steve
Dec 24, 2004

MononcQc posted:

like of course HN gets hung up on whether gp3 is good or not because they’ll stare at the computer the way nbsd would stare at your shoes, but the good stuff is in the author making her own progress in writing about a painful event.

Hollow Talk posted:

The interesting bit is that an AI is more capable of having something resembling a conversation with and being helpful to a woman than most hn poster, op.

eschaton
Mar 7, 2007

Don't you just hate when you wind up in a store with people who are in a socioeconomic class that is pretty obviously about two levels lower than your own?

Hollow Talk posted:

Nomnom Cookie
Aug 30, 2009

Hollow Talk posted:

fritz
Jul 26, 2003

sandworm101 14 minutes ago [–]

>> then they will do the reasonable thing and prioritize sending oxygen to the hospitals
Better idea: Declare open season on vaccine disbelievers. Issue hunting permits and dart guns. Google and Facebook can help. Anyone posting anti-vaccine rants will have their location added to the hunting ap. With the number of hunters in Florida the problem could be solved by the end of the week.
Seriously, this is gone far enough. We have a government talking about cutting back on water because hospitals are overwhelmed with the unvaccinated. Two of the greatest public health revolutions, modern hospitals and clean water, are now fighting each other for resources.

Neon Noodle
Nov 11, 2016

there's nothing wrong here in montana
:hmmyes:

fritz
Jul 26, 2003

systemvoltage 3 hours ago [–]

Zeitgeist is caused by the pandemic x social media outrage x hardships due to lost jobs. Everyone is glued to the internet and we've started to form factions.
It's hard to conjecture this, let alone prove it, but a strawman take I feel like is adversarial foreign powers have influenced the social media outrage narratives to destroy the western spirit from inside out. HN is reflecting larger trends. Western spirit was about putting behind differences and doubling down on cooperation. Looking back, from post-WWII to now, I get goosebumps and feel sad that this is what we've become.
Nothing has changed in terms of good vs. evil of technology. Fundamentals are still the same. Not even space exploration has escaped HN's cynicism. It's time for me to move onto some other place.

4lokos basilisk
Jul 17, 2008

yeah if it wasn't for all the russian bots on twitter and cancel culture sjws, then all social inequality problems, effects of climate change and the pandemic would be instantly solved

MrQueasy
Nov 15, 2005

Probiot-ICK

ravenstine posted:

I'm going to say something a lot of people don't like, but here it goes.

Don't work harder than your desired title suggests. In fact, be slightly less productive than your peers with the same title without sacrificing quality.

Always go home on time and don't do any kind of overtime unless it's an emergency.

Make occasional appearances at group lunches and social events, just enough to seem like part of the team but not be too well liked or notable.

Be friendly, but don't buddy up with management.

Always be looking for different positions elsewhere or other companies you would want to reach out to in case you need to abandon ship.

Have gently caress-you money saved up.

If you contribute code on GitHub, be anonymous about it.

Consider contract work so you can choose the kind of work you want to do (and create a business and hire yourself under your chosen title/role in case you need to go back to a W2 job).

Be vague, slow to respond, and not overly enthusiastic when management makes you do "reflections" and "self-assessments" that ask you where you want to advance in your career or "where you see yourself in 5 years".

When management walks by your desk, act relaxed and don't look like you are stressed or working very hard; even if your work is poor, management likes the perception of an employee that "works hard" for them.

Don't do things to make them think of you in particular if a peer higher in the hierarchy leaves. If there is an emergency, let seniors handle most of it unless you are the only one available to help.

Only participate in meetings when necessary and don't talk for the sake of talking.

Care about the users/customers of the service you are building, but don't care about the company itself more than you need to or emotionally invest yourself; every company is capable of firing you at the drop of a hat and they will not keep in touch unless they absolutely need to and are willing to drop the advancement bullshit to make you happy.

If a promotion is offered to you, thoroughly inquire about the responsibilities for the position, make note of the new responsibilities that you really don't like in particular and speak to your manager about making some exceptions because you "have strengths in some areas but weaker in these others"; use corporate buzz words during your one-on-one to talk about the promotion.

Again, always have your eye out for other roles and keep an exit strategy in your back pocket.

Working hard isn't a virtue in and of itself, and growth to no end isn't sustainable. There is nothing wrong with finding your place and performing adequately within it. I believe that my generation (Millennials) and later have been especially indoctrinated into the fantasy of the "dream job", the need to always be hustling and advancing, and working for paternalistic companies that "care" about the growth of their employees. It creates lots of shame for those who don't have the will to do what it takes to land the corner office. Most of our grandparents made their living doing things that weren't particularly prestigious and didn't live with that constant lack of satisfaction or sense of shame that they won't live up to their parents success. If you are contributing something to society in whatever amount and you are living the life you want to live, nobody really has the authority to tell you that you shouldn't be satisfied with that.

https://news.ycombinator.com/item?id=28288788

mystes
May 31, 2006

There was a thread a couple days ago where some people were complaining about the HN culture changing (naturally the things they were complaining about seemed like improvements to me): https://news.ycombinator.com/item?id=28259153

I've always found it interesting how the HN culture of temporarily embarrassed entrepreneurs is so different from the culture of sites like slashdot during its heyday. I'm not even sure whether it's different people or whether it's the same people and getting paid better and seeing the possibility of even more money from the startup grift just made them shittier.

Edit: Oh yeah this was the thread the thing Fritz quoted was from.

mystes fucked around with this message at 05:53 on Aug 25, 2021

Pile Of Garbage
May 28, 2007

fritz posted:

systemvoltage 3 hours ago [–]

Zeitgeist is caused by the pandemic x social media outrage x hardships due to lost jobs. Everyone is glued to the internet and we've started to form factions.
It's hard to conjecture this, let alone prove it, but a strawman take I feel like is adversarial foreign powers have influenced the social media outrage narratives to destroy the western spirit from inside out. HN is reflecting larger trends. Western spirit was about putting behind differences and doubling down on cooperation. Looking back, from post-WWII to now, I get goosebumps and feel sad that this is what we've become.
Nothing has changed in terms of good vs. evil of technology. Fundamentals are still the same. Not even space exploration has escaped HN's cynicism. It's time for me to move onto some other place.

lol this post reads like it was written by gpt-3

izagoof
Feb 14, 2004

Grimey Drawer

Pile Of Garbage posted:

lol this post reads like it was written by gpt-3

every hn post is like this to me, just someone shooting out a strangely formulated and incoherent take that my eyes slide over while trying to read

epitaph
Dec 31, 2008

izagoof posted:

every hn post is like this to me, just someone shooting out a strangely formulated and incoherent take that my eyes slide over while trying to read

this, but particularly for anything ml related

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

eschaton
Mar 7, 2007

someone should make a text generation bot trained on the full corpus of HN comments (weighted by number of responses, of course) and then just set it loose on HN under an alias

feed it the story and other comments for a prompt

when someone replies, feed it the comment and reply for a prompt

etc