Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

fuf
Sep 12, 2004

haha

fuf posted:

can I turn off the debug options?

The new interactions were caused by these two mods:
Basic Nessassities - Happy Heraldry
Core Title Inheritance

but I don't know why it has the big pink DEBUG text?

I ended up disabling both mods. The Core Title one seemed kind of cool but never mind.

fuf fucked around with this message at 14:33 on Aug 25, 2021

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Olanphonia
Jul 27, 2006

I'm open to suggestions~

zoux posted:

Good news everyone, my rival, a seven year old unlanded girl, has expired. Hopefully I can move on now. I'm the 50 year old duke of Holland.

Dying over the thought of the Duke of Holland rolling up to some poo poo hole town and busting into a small pauper's funeral held for a small child who just died tragically and the Duke just balls out of control before ending his visit with a vicious 2 hour roast of the dead kid

zoux
Apr 28, 2006

Olanphonia posted:

Dying over the thought of the Duke of Holland rolling up to some poo poo hole town and busting into a small pauper's funeral held for a small child who just died tragically and the Duke just balls out of control before ending his visit with a vicious 2 hour roast of the dead kid

But with a crown on

binge crotching
Apr 2, 2010

Bold Robot posted:

When playing as a vassal, is there any downside at all to switching your contract to one of the special ones, like March? Playing as a duke in the HRE, it seems like I can switch my contract to March without even needing a hook. This never occurred to me to do before, but it seems like a no brainer?

The special contracts are considered neutral, which is why you don't need a hook for them.

As a vassal, you want to have either the March or Palatinate contract if researched, and as a liege you want your vassals to have the Scutage contract.

Buschmaki
Dec 26, 2012

‿︵‿︵‿︵‿Lean Addict︵‿︵‿︵‿
For the "Mother Of Us All" achievement does Coptic count as an african religion?

Raskolnikov38
Mar 3, 2007

We were somewhere around Manila when the drugs began to take hold

Buschmaki posted:

For the "Mother Of Us All" achievement does Coptic count as an african religion?

its already reformed isnt it?

dead gay comedy forums
Oct 21, 2011

so, what are some development strategies?

I am doing "if plains then build farms and pastures plus if coast build port"

binge crotching
Apr 2, 2010

Buschmaki posted:

No, it's just the various Pagan ones (Bori, Waaqism, Akom, Kushite, etc.)

Elias_Maluco
Aug 23, 2007
I need to sleep

dead gay comedy forums posted:

Thats what Ive been doing, plus: "pick a MaA to use (heavy infantry or armored cavalry) and build its building on every province you control"

CapnAndy
Feb 27, 2004

Some teeth long for ripping, gleaming wet from black dog gums. So you keep your eyes closed at the end. You don't want to see such a mouth up close. before the bite, before its oblivion in the goring of your soft parts, the speckled lips will curl back in a whinny of excitement. You just know it.
Anyone have any "let me have Primogeniture before the loving lategame" mods they prefer? I'm looking at either this one that just moves it to Early Medieval or this one that turns it into a decision, but one you can only take after you're a fairly Prestigious king.

Basically I don't want to just get it for free, but I want it loving available.

SlothBear
Jan 25, 2009

scaterry posted:

Pursuit of Power/Warmonger for cbs. Pursuit of Power is a classic combo with pacifism, as well.

Warmonger is a stupidly good trait. I almost think it should be nerfed.

quote:

Gnosticism if you plan on making more faiths later on

Oh so that's the point of Gnosticism! Holy heck that's a good idea! I usually just reform/new faith once into what I want but doing it repeatedly with gnostic faiths sounds super fun now. Gonna do that in a playthrough sometime now! Each ruler gets their own dramatically different faith! Haha that sounds awesome!

quote:

Esotericism for the wise man trait and access to mystical communion

Agreed it's very good, but like Warmonger it's almost boringly good. Not nearly as strong but it turns into essentially a few free learning perks per lifetime for your liege which just makes the game that much easier, especially since a few learning perks is Scientific and Open-Minded or Faithful.

quote:

Reincarnation is meh, it's just not very impactful. ostensibly it could be useful if you stack county conversion resistance, but that implies somehow losing converted land which doesn't really happen

Reincarnation is very disappointing I agree. I got it more often than some in this thread but the thing is, you don't have any control of which ancestor you come back as having your heir get forced into a Shy and Greedy or some other bad trait is a real kick.

As for some others....

Carnal Exaltation is another stupidly good trait. Makes lustful (one of the most rp fun traits in the game for all the new scenes it gives you) a virtue and a fertility boost on top of it.

Astrology imo does the random fun effects you'd think you'd get from something like reincarnation but actually makes it more fun to roll the dice and see what happens, also a great rp justification for 'let's see what the stars say' and say, go to war if you get a martial bonus, etc.

Communal Identity I find very handy for building up a consolidated core of faith/culture esp if you're playing a dynasty that has invaded rich lands of someone else from afar and are moving your core there.

Fatwa I found more fun than I expected, being able to condemn a sinful vassal and get a reason to revoke for it was much more handy than I thought it might be.

Adoricism is great but very limited in who can take it.

Ancestor Worship can be surprisingly impactful for a more established dynasty with the long reign opinion boost, and that early game boost to family opinion can save you a few succession crises.

And of course Sun Worship for that sweet sun sacrifice prisoner interaction, but very limited.

I also think syncertism can be overlooked and underrated. Some of my most successful playthroughs came from adding Islamic Syncretism to a Christian or Norse pagan faith that allowed me to ally the Caliph which made crushing Byzantium or rival Catholic leaders much, much, easier. And if you're an Islamic central asian dynasty then adding Folk traditions means now you can marry other Muslims, the Eastern Faiths, and the Pagans in africa and the steppe which really expands your alliance and breeding options.

PittTheElder
Feb 13, 2012

:geno: Yes, it's like a lava lamp.

dead gay comedy forums posted:

Men At Arms are insanely powerful, so overall you want to pick a unit type and stick with it, and then use your building types to boost their stats to the moon. That's one building slot.

For the rest of them what you really want is cashflow. So Manor Houses, Ports, Farms, Orchards, Forestry, Hills Farms, Quarries, and Pastoral Lands, just picking whichever one the terrain allows and the highest revenue generation if there's multiples. Hunting Grounds are also great in that you can build them everywhere and they have a better RoI than the others, but lower overall revenue. Make sure you have walls in your Capital, as that's a crucial point to defend.

zoux
Apr 28, 2006

As long as it's my direct holding, any building troop bonus apply/stack across my whole army? It doesn't matter where the troops were raised from? What about for vassals, do my building bonuses apply to them?

M_Gargantua
Oct 16, 2006

STOMP'N ON INTO THE POWERLINES

Exciting Lemon

zoux posted:

As long as it's my direct holding, any building troop bonus apply/stack across my whole army? It doesn't matter where the troops were raised from? What about for vassals, do my building bonuses apply to them?

Yes, all the "Holder of this holding" benefits are universal for the holder, but don't apply down to vassals or up to your liege.

If you turn your capitol county into a military power house it will cripple your early game revenue but as the game progress's and you have vassal tax's that core military strength will become nearly overwhelming.

zoux
Apr 28, 2006

Mostly I've been building walls + 3 economic buildings in my capital county and then later I build a separate barony for three mil buildings.+

e:VVVVVV yeah I know, I build them for myself since my loving lesser heirs can't steal them away in succession

zoux fucked around with this message at 21:16 on Aug 25, 2021

PittTheElder
Feb 13, 2012

Baronies only give you bonuses if you directly control them fyi

zoux posted:

Yes to the former, no to the latter. Their bonuses also do not flow up to you.

a pipe smoking dog
Jan 25, 2010

"haha, dogs can't smoke!"
Thank you to everyone for finally explaining the purpose of Gnosticism.

wologar
Feb 11, 2014

නෝනාවරුනි
Gnosticism by itself also expands your marriage/alliance options. Manicheans, Cathars, Paulicians and Bogomilists now love you. Druze and Cainites too, I guess, but I hardly ever see them.

wologar fucked around with this message at 21:30 on Aug 25, 2021

zoux
Apr 28, 2006

Ok, I'm a large kingdom fighting a war for a duchy title from another large kingdom. I have overwhelming advantage. What's the fastest way to accomplish this?

Raskolnikov38
Mar 3, 2007

if their ruler is leading their army, obliterating it

PittTheElder
Feb 13, 2012

Besiege and capture all the holdings in the contested duchy. If their army comes to fight you defeat it.

zoux
Apr 28, 2006

So don't bother going after their capitol

Raskolnikov38
Mar 3, 2007

depending on the relative value of the duchy and their capital, taking their capital will often do it. especially if you capture important family members in the siege

CapnAndy
Feb 27, 2004

Some teeth long for ripping, gleaming wet from black dog gums. So you keep your eyes closed at the end. You don't want to see such a mouth up close. before the bite, before its oblivion in the goring of your soft parts, the speckled lips will curl back in a whinny of excitement. You just know it.

zoux posted:

Holding the grounds you're disputing for is big, but so are hostages, and capitals are usually just full of the opposing ruler's loved ones, so...

PittTheElder
Feb 13, 2012

zoux posted:

If it's close sure, if it's far don't bother.

dead gay comedy forums
Oct 21, 2011

PittTheElder posted:

Men At Arms are insanely powerful, so overall you want to pick a unit type and stick with it, and then use your building types to boost their stats to the moon. That's one building slot.

For the rest of them what you really want is cashflow. So Manor Houses, Ports, Farms, Orchards, Forestry, Hills Farms, Quarries, and Pastoral Lands, just picking whichever one the terrain allows and the highest revenue generation if there's multiples. Hunting Grounds are also great in that you can build them everywhere and they have a better RoI than the others, but lower overall revenue. Make sure you have walls in your Capital, as that's a crucial point to defend.

thanks! follow-up: I have read elsewhere that armored cavalry is insanely powerful - how much is it worth to have them when you are at duchy size in comparison to, say, armored footmen?

PittTheElder
Feb 13, 2012

ACav as a Duke is arguably optimal as a (super) Duke who has access to many duchy buildings without dealing with opinion penalties.

If you can afford it, you should.

Harold Fjord
Jan 3, 2004
Is there a mod for finding unmarried courtiers and untutored children more quickly?

SlothBear
Jan 25, 2009

Harold Fjord posted:

Is there a mod for finding unmarried courtiers and untutored children more quickly?

For the kids I just find someone who doesn't have two wards and click educate child and it will show a list.

e: Whoops misread, don't know if there's a mod or not!

Harold Fjord
Jan 3, 2004

SlothBear posted:

For the kids I just find someone who doesn't have two wards and click educate child and it will show a list.

e: Whoops misread, don't know if there's a mod or not!

in game workarounds I didn't think of also help! Thanks

PittTheElder
Feb 13, 2012

Harold Fjord posted:

There's an expanded alerts mod that will warn you about children and unmarried relatives. Not courtiers though, who cares if they marry?

ZombieCrew
Apr 1, 2019

PittTheElder posted:

There's an expanded alerts mod that will warn you about children and unmarried relatives. Not courtiers though, who cares if they marry?

Marrying your courtiers off is a great way to get knights with high stats.

SlothBear
Jan 25, 2009

Yup, sort by prowess, marry to your courtiers, rinse and repeat. Way cheaper than paying them off to join your court. Can also work for finding doctors and council members and such.

Harold Fjord
Jan 3, 2004

ZombieCrew posted:

Marrying your courtiers off is a great way to get knights with high stats.

That's a good idea. I'm just trying to do efficient eugenics. Build the perfect concubine.

Harold Fjord fucked around with this message at 14:29 on Aug 26, 2021

M_Gargantua
Oct 16, 2006

STOMP'N ON INTO THE POWERLINES

Exciting Lemon
I know you can Eugenics the traits, but are base stats also affected by parentage or only by childhood events/guardianship/etc?

Elias_Maluco
Aug 23, 2007
I need to sleep

M_Gargantua posted:

I know you can Eugenics the traits, but are base stats also affected by parentage or only by childhood events/guardianship/etc?

Theres some skills like pedagogy and groomed to rule that will affect them, but other than that, afaik, there is no effect other than whatever happens on events

Charlz Guybon
Nov 16, 2010

pidan posted:

I made a honest, compassionate guy for the "virtuous" achievement, and it kind of sucks, can't even murder one person without going over the stress limit. On the other hand, all his vassals and family members love him so it's not all bad.

The same guy (black of hair) married an orange-haired woman, and now half his descendants have orange hair. Genetics!

IIRC red hair is partially dominant, so it's not surprising. It's blonde that is recessive.

Raskolnikov38
Mar 3, 2007

Just and honest are the worst traits. Give me some mega bonus for having to act like a saint lest I have a mental break

Charlz Guybon
Nov 16, 2010

Dwesa posted:

These are seriously beautiful, not some generic 'medieval' crap.

I want the Byzantines to have the steam automaton throne of Solomon that visitors talked about.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

dead gay comedy forums
Oct 21, 2011

Harold Fjord posted:

That's a good idea. I'm just trying to do efficient eugenics. Build the perfect concubine.

it's harder than I thought even with the blood legacy

only now that I have managed to get my first kin to have beautiful + genius (granddaughter), and I am at 1180. hopefully herculean/amazonian is easier