Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Poopernickel
Oct 28, 2005

electricity bad
Fun Shoe

DoomTrainPhD posted:

Ah yes, the mode that doesn't burn retinas out is a fad.

just lol if you run your screens at full brightness / contrast

hmm, yisss - I'll crank up my screen brightness, then make everything black so that it's not too bright. Perfect.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Antigravitas
Dec 8, 2019

Die Rettung fuer die Landwirte:
The brightness of my monitors matches the brightness of the room, which I took care to light properly and evenly so I can actually work for a few hours without getting a horrendous migraine…

dougdrums
Feb 25, 2005
CLIENT REQUESTED ELECTRONIC FUNDING RECEIPT (FUNDS NOW)
i wish my tv had a backlight control in the same way there's a volume control

Poopernickel posted:

Dark mode is a fad and its time will end.
not seeing floaters all the time a total fad

that being said grey on grey causes just as much strain as having your retinas blasted with normal black on white. discord is the most aggravating example

dougdrums fucked around with this message at 23:06 on Aug 17, 2021

Poopernickel
Oct 28, 2005

electricity bad
Fun Shoe
dark mode crew just want to feel like they're HaCkErMaN with their leet color palette

go watch the matrix some more, you hippies

Tankakern
Jul 25, 2007
Probation
Can't post for 5 hours!

Poopernickel posted:

dark mode crew just want to feel like they're HaCkErMaN with their leet color palette

go watch the matrix some more, you hippies

it's like having a posting secretary

NihilCredo
Jun 6, 2011

iram omni possibili modo preme:
plus una illa te diffamabit, quam multæ virtutes commendabunt

Antigravitas posted:

The brightness of my monitors matches the brightness of the room, which I took care to light properly and evenly so I can actually work for a few hours without getting a horrendous migraine…

same but it's ten candles on a pentagram

infernal machines
Oct 11, 2012

we monitor many frequencies. we listen always. came a voice, out of the babel of tongues, speaking to us. it played us a mighty dub.
yet another not-a-linux os.

Kazinsal
Dec 13, 2011

whereas most unixes are actually intended to be used by people, serenity is the gently caress-you-got-mine of operating systems

there are other neat hobby unixes that are actually usable but serenity probably has both the most impressive GUI and the shittiest attitude. "if you can't build it yourself this OS isn't for you" is a horrendous way to get people to use your open source project lol

eschaton
Mar 7, 2007

Don't you just hate when you wind up in a store with people who are in a socioeconomic class that is pretty obviously about two levels lower than your own?
it’s so sad that Serenity copied Microsoft’s Windows 95 interface style rather than what Windows 95 was a copy of

Tankakern
Jul 25, 2007
Probation
Can't post for 5 hours!
btrfs on 5.14 will have support for send/recv of compressed data, as is on disk. woho etc

in other news, that opengl-implemented-on-top-of-vulkan driver (zink) also gets lot of press lately, having landed some suballocator thingie that sped things up considerabely and support for opengl compatibility contexts. good news for arm socs i guess, less junk to implement

Kazinsal
Dec 13, 2011

since we're on the topic here's some other interesting hobby unixes

sortix (https://sortix.org): custom x86-64 unix kernel with maximum POSIX standards compliance as a goal. userspace is mostly gnu and openbsd ports, it can build itself, and the website runs on it

toaruOS (https://github.com/klange/toaruos): complete custom x86-64 unix implementation from kernel to userspace. "not implemented here" is the primary goal. includes a graphical interface and full alpha blended compositor, and a lightweight, portable python derivative that can be embedded in literally anything like Lua

both of these projects are primarily written by one person each with the occasional contribution from other people in the osdev community. some absolutely neat stuff done by them, to the point that both of those OSes are verging on "production ready" for various applications. I only hope one day my hobby OS project can be as potentially useful to people in the real world as those two

Nomnom Cookie
Aug 30, 2009

Tankakern posted:

btrfs on 5.14 will have support for send/recv of compressed data, as is on disk. woho etc

in other news, that opengl-implemented-on-top-of-vulkan driver (zink) also gets lot of press lately, having landed some suballocator thingie that sped things up considerabely and support for opengl compatibility contexts. good news for arm socs i guess, less junk to implement

does it support working properly yet. that's when it gets interesting imo

The_Franz
Aug 8, 2003

Nomnom Cookie posted:

let's see

quote:

RAID56 Unstable
nope

Clark Nova
Jul 18, 2004

gotta get raid modes 0 through 55 working first

Tankakern
Jul 25, 2007
Probation
Can't post for 5 hours!
it works fine

sb hermit
Dec 13, 2016

Kazinsal posted:

since we're on the topic here's some other interesting hobby unixes

sortix (https://sortix.org): custom x86-64 unix kernel with maximum POSIX standards compliance as a goal. userspace is mostly gnu and openbsd ports, it can build itself, and the website runs on it

toaruOS (https://github.com/klange/toaruos): complete custom x86-64 unix implementation from kernel to userspace. "not implemented here" is the primary goal. includes a graphical interface and full alpha blended compositor, and a lightweight, portable python derivative that can be embedded in literally anything like Lua

both of these projects are primarily written by one person each with the occasional contribution from other people in the osdev community. some absolutely neat stuff done by them, to the point that both of those OSes are verging on "production ready" for various applications. I only hope one day my hobby OS project can be as potentially useful to people in the real world as those two

https://www.redox-os.org/

Redox OS is an entire Unix-like OS written in Rust.

Nomnom Cookie
Aug 30, 2009

The_Franz posted:

let's see

nope

also i lied i will never be interested in btrfs lmao

Tankakern
Jul 25, 2007
Probation
Can't post for 5 hours!
rude

Tankakern
Jul 25, 2007
Probation
Can't post for 5 hours!
Raspberry Pi Display Driver Patches Updated For 4K@60Hz Support

Hed
Mar 31, 2004

Fun Shoe

Nomnom Cookie posted:

lmao

Nitrousoxide
May 30, 2011

do not buy a oneplus phone

Can it actually drive that?

Sapozhnik
Jan 2, 2005

Nap Ghost
https://www.cs.cmu.edu/~awb/linux.history.html

happy thirtieth anniversary of a terrible thing happening

Tankakern
Jul 25, 2007
Probation
Can't post for 5 hours!

Nitrousoxide posted:

i think the rpi4 can do that yes

akadajet
Sep 14, 2003

Nitrousoxide posted:

it can barely drive 1080p so lol no

Nomnom Cookie
Aug 30, 2009

hardware decoding? of a low bitrate h.264 stream?

mawarannahr
May 21, 2019

eschaton posted:

because the styling shouldn’t be something done by an app developer, it should be done by the operating system for all apps so they’re consistent

lol

https://stopthemingmy.app

Nomnom Cookie
Aug 30, 2009

"i can't stop you but you should feel bad if you do it" is purestrain linux

Kazinsal
Dec 13, 2011

well poo poo if the "gnome community" is angry about it I'm gonna start making lovely apps that linux nerds would want to use just to theme them

mawarannahr
May 21, 2019

they’re all dogshit gnome apps nobody has ever heard of except Geary, which probably sucks.

quote:

Signed,

Alexander Mikhaylenko Maintainer of Games
Avi Wadhwa Maintainer of Organizer
Bilal Elmoussaoui Maintainer of Authenticator, Icon Library, Contrast and Obfuscate
Cédric Bellegarde Maintainer of Lollypop, Eolie, and Passbook
Christopher Davis Core contributor to Fractal
Daniel García Moreno Maintainer of Fractal and Timetrack
Falk Alexander Seidl Maintainer of Password Safe
Felix Häcker, Maintainer of Gradio/Shortwave, Fragments, and Remotely
Jan Lukas Gernert Author of FeedReader and NewsFlash
Jordan Petridis Maintainer of Podcasts
Julian Sparber Core contributor to Fractal, maintainer of Teleport
Manuel Genovés Maintainer of UberWriter
Michael Gratton Maintainer of Geary
Tobias Bernard Designer of Fragments and Podcasts (among others)
Zander Brown Maintainer of Icon Preview
The Pitivi Developers

they’re probably all Europeans :tipshat:

mawarannahr fucked around with this message at 01:59 on Aug 26, 2021

Maximo Roboto
Feb 4, 2012

good luck Haiku

https://www.haiku-os.org/news/2021-08-25_hiring_waddlesplash/

Nitrousoxide
May 30, 2011

do not buy a oneplus phone

Oh no a consistent visual style between apps that allows users to easily become familiar with the UI language of a given app.

How terrible!

Tankakern
Jul 25, 2007
Probation
Can't post for 5 hours!

akadajet posted:

it can barely drive 1080p so lol no

i agree that it will be a shitshow, but it can technically drive 4k 60hz

the drivers are getting better too, maybe it'll actually be usable at one time in future

nah who am i kidding, that h264 acceleration will forever be a binary blob because broadcom

SamDabbers
May 26, 2003

that seems like an interesting job

Agile Vector
May 21, 2007

scrum bored

good luck to haiku
existing contributor
makes a waddlesplash

BobHoward
Feb 13, 2012

The only thing white people deserve is a bullet to their empty skull

https://dev.haiku-os.org/roadmap posted:

Milestone: R1
No date set

93%
Total number of tickets: 9232 - closed: 8543 - active: 689

Essentially, a fully working and stable operating system. A viable replacement for BeOS R5 (and later).

i realize it's a shoestring project and all, but beos R5 was released in year y2k and they have the haiku R1/beta5 milestone set as due in july 2022. we're closin' in on a quarter century of haiku trying to replace beos

amazed they're able to pay someone tbh

infernal machines
Oct 11, 2012

we monitor many frequencies. we listen always. came a voice, out of the babel of tongues, speaking to us. it played us a mighty dub.
do people actually use *nix? jim salter investigates

FlapYoJacks
Feb 12, 2009
"Do people really write these long, convoluted commands?"

LOL. Unless regex is involved, all of those commands are just arguments that are built on top of each other.

Weaponized Autism
Mar 26, 2006

All aboard the Gravy train!
Hair Elf
Commands with arguments? Why do you have to argue? Can't we all just get along?

E4C85D38
Feb 7, 2010

Doesn't that thing only
hold six rounds...?

community management job for elementaryOS so insanely bad a few nerds I know got recommended this through google's assistant feeds, none of whom have ever used elementary and probably now never will. engagement algorithms: revealing the clusterfucks at the intersection of tech and social faster than ever before lmao

https://github.com/krisives/elementary-os-extras/issues/1

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

infernal machines
Oct 11, 2012

Weaponized Autism posted:

Commands with arguments? Why do you have to argue? Can't we all just get along?

not if you're using the wrong linux, buddy

you are using the wrong linux, buddy