Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Nanigans
Aug 31, 2005

~Waku Waku~
Krillin was actively trying to sabotage him when they first met. Chichi held a grudge and fought Goku seriously when he forgot her. Bulma hit him with her car and shot at him. Lunch also shot him many times. Yamcha tried to kill him in the desert. Tenshinhan…well, I guess he did technically want a fair fight…Piccolo tried to kill him straight out. Vegeta too, of course. Oolong also tried to kill him when they first met. Beerus…

Mostly it’s the young (his kids, Dende, Upa) and the very old (Roshi, Karin, Kami, King Kai, Whis) who’ve never tried to kill Goku.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Aurora
Jan 7, 2008

was fat buu trying to kill goku, i forget if he was wanting to when they fought

TwoPair
Mar 28, 2010

Pandamn It Feels Good To Be A Gangsta
Grimey Drawer

Aurora posted:

was fat buu trying to kill goku, i forget if he was wanting to when they fought

iirc he wasn't but after Goku went SS3 he was pretty hyped for it.

Larryb
Oct 5, 2010

Nanigans posted:

Krillin was actively trying to sabotage him when they first met. Chichi held a grudge and fought Goku seriously when he forgot her. Bulma hit him with her car and shot at him. Lunch also shot him many times. Yamcha tried to kill him in the desert. Tenshinhan…well, I guess he did technically want a fair fight…Piccolo tried to kill him straight out. Vegeta too, of course. Oolong also tried to kill him when they first met. Beerus…

Mostly it’s the young (his kids, Dende, Upa) and the very old (Roshi, Karin, Kami, King Kai, Whis) who’ve never tried to kill Goku.

Yajirobe also attacked him when they first met (though to be fair, Goku did steal his dinner).

But yeah, aside from the ones you mentioned pretty much everyone currently in Goku’s friend circle took a shot at him at least once

Blaze Dragon
Aug 28, 2013
LOWTAX'S SPINE FUND

Even his not as close friends have tried to kill him. Some didn't even get close to do it (17) but the intent was still there, while others haven't exactly given up on the idea (Freeza), and at least one was straight-up paid by Goku to kill him (Hit).

That's just how friendship works for Goku, and he's fully aware of it.

Black August
Sep 28, 2003

I think the gift of Goku is making everyone he's friends with realize they're into his idea of friendship, and catch parts of his mindset like an infection

Some Numbers
Sep 28, 2006

"LET'S GET DOWN TO WORK!!"
Tenshinhan and Goku did have a fair fight, but Ten was from the Crane school (run by Tao Pai Pai's brother) and was training to be an assassin.

He broke Yamcha's leg and was planning to kill Goku for revenge

Nightmare Cinema
Apr 4, 2020

no.
Kinda legal adjacent (if it's too far on the wrong side of that borderline then let me know), but here's my latest effort in re-editing the entirety of Z:

https://archive.org/details/dragon-ball-z-42-time-tricks-body-binds-30th-anniversary-legacy-cut-masquerade-1080p

Consider this a sample.

Kanos
Sep 6, 2006

was there a time when speedwagon didn't get trolled

Electric Phantasm posted:

I like to imagine Cell trying to blow himself up was the final straw.

Goku does not like sore losers.

Freeza is the definition of a sore loser.

New Leaf
Jul 24, 2013

Dragon Balls? Are they tasty?

Larryb posted:

Ah, that’s right. Though have any of the shows/games ever done a “What if Goku never hit his head” type story out of curiosity?

Not to my knowledge, but Multiverse took a crack at it.

Larryb
Oct 5, 2010

New Leaf posted:

Not to my knowledge, but Multiverse took a crack at it.

How’d he turn out in that particular universe then?

Siegkrow
Oct 11, 2013

Arguing about Lore for 5 years and counting

Larryb posted:

crazy canibal

CharlestonJew
Jul 7, 2011

Illegal Hen

Some Numbers posted:

Tenshinhan and Goku did have a fair fight, but Ten was from the Crane school (run by Tao Pai Pai's brother) and was training to be an assassin.

He broke Yamcha's leg and was planning to kill Goku for revenge

Tien got a few free hits in since Chiaotzu was paralyzing Goku from the stands, not that Tien wanted that

TheKingofSprings
Oct 9, 2012

Nanigans posted:

Mostly it’s the young (his kids, Dende, Upa)

Look I'm giving Gohan at least the assist on death #2

New Leaf
Jul 24, 2013

Dragon Balls? Are they tasty?

Larryb posted:

Siegkrow posted:

crazy canibal

Basically..

I think this is the 3 chapters? They're not the greatest art honestly.

https://www.dragonball-multiverse.com/en/chapters.html?comic=page&chapter=47

https://www.dragonball-multiverse.com/en/chapters.html?comic=page&chapter=27

https://www.dragonball-multiverse.com/en/chapters.html?comic=page&chapter=50

Natural 20
Sep 17, 2007

Wearer of Compasses. Slayer of Gods. Champion of the Colosseum. Heart of the Void.
Saviour of Hallownest.
https://www.dragonball-multiverse.com/en/page-1171.html#h_read

One more here!

ImpAtom
May 24, 2007

Dragonball Multiverse has been running so long there was an actual Dragonball multiverse tournament in the meantime.

Ghost Leviathan
Mar 2, 2017

Exploration is ill-advised.

Black August posted:

Even Buu got a "Wow cool, fun match, you better come back again somehow"

Cell really is the only major villain he's fought that he showed no desire to refight someday, which I imagine had something to do with how Cell behaved the entire time

Likely. Cell really worked as a capstone villain because he's an unsettling and powerful concept played totally straight- all the protagonists' own power and hubris thrown right back at them, and Goku basically sees a sick parody of his friends and enemies (and frenemies) as a completely remorseless, sadistic killer with none of the traits Goku can respect.

That and/or Cell didn't really bring anything new to the table, he was just a total slog to fight.

CharlestheHammer
Jun 26, 2011

YOU SAY MY POSTS ARE THE RAVINGS OF THE DUMBEST PERSON ON GOD'S GREEN EARTH BUT YOU YOURSELF ARE READING THEM. CURIOUS!
Also Cell is the only villain Goku had no direct connection to his defeat

Caidin
Oct 29, 2011
Goku never mentions Cell because while he probably liked the fight, he politely doesn't anyone to have to draw or animate all those spots.

Larryb
Oct 5, 2010

I forget, why did Goku give Cell a senzu bean prior to his fight with Gohan again?

grieving for Gandalf
Apr 22, 2008

Larryb posted:

I forget, why did Goku give Cell a senzu bean prior to his fight with Gohan again?

he knew Gohan could windmill slam the bug man into hell, but had not considered whether he had the disposition to do so or the love of fighting and breaking past his limits that Goku himself has

Slightly Absurd
Mar 22, 2004

also, goku just loves givin' people senzu beans

Last Celebration
Mar 30, 2010

Slightly Absurd posted:

also, goku just loves givin' people senzu beans

Anyone ever think about how Yajarobe is pretty much the entire reason there’s not an infinite stash of senzu beans?

Darko
Dec 23, 2004

Larryb posted:

Gohan was waaaayyyyy more powerful than Cell and Goku knew it (while, like was said above, he didn't really "get" that Gohan wouldn't want to go all out) and thought that Cell would get beat up and become everyone's fighting friend like everyone else since Cell also had Goku "I love fight" genes. He just forgot that he had Freeza "I'm just gonna explode if I lose" genes.

edit: The real reason is spots

Mr.Acula
May 10, 2009

Billions and billions of fat clouds

Caidin posted:

Goku never mentions Cell because while he probably liked the fight, he politely doesn't anyone to have to draw or animate all those spots.

Just have him go Celldorado and blam problem solved

projecthalaxy
Dec 27, 2008

Yes hello it is I Kurt's Secret Son

Also he did it because he's mean.

E: you know who didn't give a senzu bean? That's right, Gohan's true ally, his closest friend, his ultimate nakama, some would say his "real dad"

mirai trunks

Darko
Dec 23, 2004

Also, besides spots, the other "real" reason is that Cell is genre breaking like Buu due to having everyone's potential and regen and drive to be the best and couldnt join everyone and would always have to have excuses why he couldn't join the fight like Buu does with being sleep all of the time. So he just stayed dead.

16-bit Butt-Head
Dec 25, 2014
i am going to kill Goku

Electric Phantasm
Apr 7, 2011

YOSPOS

Not even Goku could kill Goku I don't think it's possible to kill that guy.

Blaze Dragon
Aug 28, 2013
LOWTAX'S SPINE FUND

It's entirely possible so long as you have green skin. Just ask Piccolo, Cell or Zamasu.

Getting him to stay dead is another matter entirely.

Super Rad
Feb 15, 2003
Sir Loin of Beef
I'm still lost as to why Cell would even need a bean in the first place... like isn't he supposed to have infinite energy and infinite regeneration? It's like that whole scene exists just to highlight how irresponsible Goku is, continuity be damned - and honestly I'm all for it since the Cell Saga could easily be renamed "Bad Dads".

Burkion
May 10, 2012

by Fluffdaddy

Super Rad posted:

I'm still lost as to why Cell would even need a bean in the first place... like isn't he supposed to have infinite energy and infinite regeneration? It's like that whole scene exists just to highlight how irresponsible Goku is, continuity be damned - and honestly I'm all for it since the Cell Saga could easily be renamed "Bad Dads".

Cell, as far as we know, does not have Infinite Energy. ...he just absorbed two people that did

Larryb
Oct 5, 2010

Blaze Dragon posted:

It's entirely possible so long as you have green skin. Just ask Piccolo, Cell or Zamasu.

Getting him to stay dead is another matter entirely.

How exactly did Goku manage to weasel his way out of the afterlife during the Buu saga again (since he’s back to being alive and well come Super and GT)?

Darko
Dec 23, 2004

Burkion posted:

Cell, as far as we know, does not have Infinite Energy. ...he just absorbed two people that did

Yeah, Cell was completely biological and didn't have the infinite reactor installed in him but became perfect by absorbing two infinite reactors that now were uh no longer infinite.

CharlestheHammer
Jun 26, 2011

YOU SAY MY POSTS ARE THE RAVINGS OF THE DUMBEST PERSON ON GOD'S GREEN EARTH BUT YOU YOURSELF ARE READING THEM. CURIOUS!

Larryb posted:

How exactly did Goku manage to weasel his way out of the afterlife during the Buu saga again (since he’s back to being alive and well come Super and GT)?

Old Kai gave him his life

mmkay
Oct 21, 2010

Larryb posted:

Old Kai gave him his life... somehow. Idk, he's a god, it was a miracle.

Larryb
Oct 5, 2010

mmkay posted:

Old Kai gave him his life... somehow. Idk, he's a god, it was a miracle.

To be fair, literal Deus ex Machina stuff like that has been part and parcel of this series since the beginning (meaning death is often more of a slight inconvenience in this world than it is a permanent thing)

16-bit Butt-Head
Dec 25, 2014

i would simply poison him with cyanide or shoot him while he sleeps.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

SpiderLink
Oct 3, 2006
Did that even end up making a difference? I don't fully remember but I think it was so he could go back to Earth and fuse with Gohan and that went to hell, so he fused with Vegeta who was dead anyway. And then he complained that being alive made SSJ3 less efficient when he was fighting Kid Buu, I think. Then I wanna say Elder Kai came back anyway when they wished people back partway into the last fight.