Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Gary the Llama
Mar 16, 2007
SHIGERU MIYAMOTO IS MY ILLEGITIMATE FATHER!!!

Uncle Boogeyman posted:

Any time a movie delays it's title card drop by 10 minutes or more it works on me, I'm a simple man.

You need to watch the first episode of The OA. Best delayed title card drop ever.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Opopanax
Aug 8, 2007

I HEX YE!!!

Oooh, Eggers is doing a Nosferatu remake next.

Count Thrashula
Jun 1, 2003

Death is nothing compared to vindication.
Buglord
Edit-- responding to an old post whoops

Timeless Appeal
May 28, 2006
Do Scream Queens still exist and if so is Joy one of them?

The Witch
Split
Thoroughbreds kinda
Last Night in Soho
and now this...

Samuel Clemens
Oct 4, 2013

I think we should call the Avengers.

Why?

packetmantis
Feb 26, 2013
Nos5atu

Kvlt!
May 19, 2012

literally my same reaction. I cant think of anything more uninteresting tbh.

Basebf555
Feb 29, 2008

The greatest sensual pleasure there is is to know the desires of another!

Fun Shoe

I mean, it's one of the most adapted novels in the history of film so I don't see any point in drawing some arbitrary line in the sand at this point. There were probably people rolling their eyes when Coppola wanted to do it and that was like 30 years(!) ago.

I admit I'm a huge Dracula nerd though so I never tire of the various incarnations.

LemonLimeSoda
Jan 23, 2020
thoroughly enjoying Brand New Cherry Flavor!!
The teacher from Victorious plays a great heel character

Basebf555
Feb 29, 2008

Fun Shoe

LemonLimeSoda posted:

Odd username/post combo here, I'm not sure if I can trust your review

Jedit
Dec 10, 2011

Proudly supporting vanilla legends 1994-2014

Iron Crowned posted:

There is no Rob Zombie in it, sorry

On the other hand, both Guardians of the Galaxy movies have Rob Zombie in.

King Vidiot
Feb 17, 2007

You think you can take me at Satan's Hollow? Go 'head on!
I know Catherine Keener has basically been playing one character for her entire career, but I love her and she's great in BNCF. Just that total smug indifference and charm, able to make you like her even when she's being a total poo poo.

Kvlt!
May 19, 2012

Jedit posted:

On the other hand, both Guardians of the Galaxy movies have Rob Zombie in.

is there really

alf_pogs
Feb 15, 2012

LemonLimeSoda posted:

Eric Lange is a good actor! quietly becomin one of my favorite lil guys that shows up in things. he's also an excellent antagonistic CIA head in Narcos, and the lead in David Prior's short film AM1200

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=RCZ5_V480AI

Timeless Appeal
May 28, 2006

Basebf555 posted:

I mean, it's one of the most adapted novels in the history of film so I don't see any point in drawing some arbitrary line in the sand at this point. There were probably people rolling their eyes when Coppola wanted to do it and that was like 30 years(!) ago.

I admit I'm a huge Dracula nerd though so I never tire of the various incarnations.
Yeah, I think it also makes sense to go with a Nosferatu remake when you're seeking a certain aesthetic with the Count. Dracula is so defined by Lugosi, Dracula being sexy is sort of the default position of who the character is. So, if you don't want to go that way, it makes sense to go with Nosferatu.

For the challenge last year. I also watched Guy Maddin's ballet/silent film, Dracula: Pages from a Virgin 's Diary. It really plays up the male fear and longing of female sexuality in the text in a way other adaptations hadn't fully. It's choice to cast a non-white Dracula also cemented the novel's fear of the foreign which I think has been ironed out over time. It really convinced me that there are still a of angles to go with it. I think considering The Witch and The Lighthouse's themes around how sexuality, I could absolutely see Eggers going in similar and interesting directions with his take.

But also I really want more people to watch Pages from a Virgin's Diary. It's one of the best adaptations of the book.

packetmantis
Feb 26, 2013
What about pages from a chad's diary???

WeaponX
Jul 28, 2008

Eggers has so much good will with me I could care less what he chooses to do with his next project, I’m going to watch it and probably love it.

He is going to film this with a Lumiere camera and make it a silent film or some insane poo poo and I can’t wait.

dorium
Nov 5, 2009

If it gets in your eyes
Just look into mine
Just look into dreams
and you'll be alright
I'll be alright

https://twitter.com/eshynes/status/1430572851195748356?s=21

LemonLimeSoda
Jan 23, 2020

Basebf555 posted:

Odd username/post combo here, I'm not sure if I can trust your review

I understand your skepticism, do not be alarmed...

alf_pogs posted:

Eric Lange is a good actor! quietly becomin one of my favorite lil guys that shows up in things. he's also an excellent antagonistic CIA head in Narcos, and the lead in David Prior's short film AM1200

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=RCZ5_V480AI

I've never seen Narcos or that short film but he is wonderful in Brand New Cherry Flavor

Do you think Lisa's film is supposed to look hokey on purpose?

Space Cadet Omoly
Jan 15, 2014

~Groovy~

Kvlt! posted:

is there really

Yeah that's real, Rob Zombie and James Gunn are bros: https://screenrant.com/guardians-galaxy-rob-zombie-franchise-cameos-explained/

Opopanax
Aug 8, 2007

I HEX YE!!!

I didn’t like the ending of BNCF at first but after sitting with it a bit I dig it now

It’s anticlimactic on purpose. Boro has to settle for her second choice, Mary gets nothing, Lisa gets exactly what she wants, but looses everything else in the process and turns her back on her dream; She doesn’t enjoy Lou’s downfall in the slightest either. It’s all about how hollow and pointless revenge is and I dig that way more than some big climactic battle.

FreudianSlippers
Apr 12, 2010

Shooting and Fucking
are the same thing!

Retro Futurist posted:

I didn’t like the ending of BNCF at first but after sitting with it a bit I dig it now

Biblioteca Nazionale Centrale di Firenze?

AKZ
Nov 5, 2009

Heck yea Books of Blood are a lot of fun. I like The Yattering and Jack.

Gary the Llama
Mar 16, 2007
SHIGERU MIYAMOTO IS MY ILLEGITIMATE FATHER!!!
Saw The Night House in theaters today and loved it. Yes, it does begin to fall apart at the end (although recovers a bit) but everything up to that point is just pure slow-burn-grief-horror perfection. The ending didn’t even bother me that much. They definitely swung for the fences and I appreciated what it was trying to do, it just needed another hour of setup for that payoff to really land. Think I’ll start a Twitter campaign to get the 3 hour #BrucknerCut released.

Rebecca Hall carries the film almost single handedly. I hope she does more horror.

Highly recommend seeing in a theater with the sound cranked up to deafening levels.

Phy
Jun 27, 2008

Fun Shoe
I keep reading y'all talking about The Night House and my brain keeps thinking it's The Night Land cause I am eternally in the mood for Dying Earth fiction

But now I remember I did want to see The Night House so that's ok too

Franchescanado
Feb 23, 2013

If it wasn't for disappointment
I wouldn't have any appointment

Grimey Drawer

Kvlt! posted:

is there really

Rob Zombie has voice cameos in a few James Gunn movies. He's the doctor on the phone in SLiTHER, he's the voice of God in Super, and he's the voice of a Ravager in both Guardians.

flashy_mcflash
Feb 7, 2011

Got this press release today and, move over Rob Zombie there's a new rock god in horror.

quote:

London, UK - Better Noise Films (The Dirt, Sno Babies) have announced the World Premiere of their latest production, The Retaliators, at London's Arrow Video FrightFest 2021. The rock and roll gorefest follows a broken pastor as unimaginable grief leads him to depths of depravity he never imagined. The Retaliators will world premiere at FrightFest on Monday, 30 August.

Michael Lombardi ("Rescue Me"), Marc Menchaca ("Ozark"), and Joseph Gatt ("Game of Thrones") headline the cast alongside Jacoby Shaddix, front man of Papa Roach, making his acting debut. The Retaliators features cameos and music by Mötley Crüe’s Tommy Lee, Five Finger Death Punch, Papa Roach, The Hu, Ice Nine Kills, Escape The Fate and many more, anchored by an original score from Emmy-winning composers Kyle Dixon and Michael Stein ("Stranger Things").

MacheteZombie
Feb 4, 2007
Cut my film into pieces

dorium
Nov 5, 2009

If it gets in your eyes
Just look into mine
Just look into dreams
and you'll be alright
I'll be alright

Papa Roach > Rob Zombie

MacheteZombie
Feb 4, 2007
Dragula was on a much better game that's why

Karloff
Mar 21, 2013

Superbeast was on the US release trailer for Godzilla 2000. That's got to count for something.

King Vidiot
Feb 17, 2007

You think you can take me at Satan's Hollow? Go 'head on!
So here I am
doin' everything I can
holding on to what I am
pretending...
...I'M YOUR SUPERBEAST

Darko
Dec 23, 2004

MacheteZombie posted:

Dragula was on a much better game that's why

Jet Set Radio was prolly the best game any of those are on.

MacheteZombie
Feb 4, 2007

Darko posted:

Jet Set Radio was prolly the best game any of those are on.

I was thinking of Sled Storm lol

Kvlt!
May 19, 2012

i was thinking are there any horror movies that are an opera too? not set in an opera, like an actual opera. the only thing i can kinda think of is Repo!

Franchescanado
Feb 23, 2013

Grimey Drawer

Kvlt! posted:

i was thinking are there any horror movies that are an opera too? not set in an opera, like an actual opera. the only thing i can kinda think of is Repo!

How are you defining "opera"? Repo borderlines being an opera. It still has spoken dialogue, if I remember correctly, and things considered operatic tend to have minimal spoken dialogue. Did you ever see their follow up series, The Devil's Carnival? I think it's already on part 3, but I only watched the first one.

The best answer is Sweeney Todd. If you don't want the Burton adaptation, check out the 1982 performance starring Angela Lansbury and George Hearn. The whole thing should be somewhere on YouTube, and I'm sure you could look for an ever better copy.

I think The Lure is pretty close to being an opera, but it still has spoken dialogue. There's Anna and the Apocalypse, but I'm not really fond of that one. There's also the Evil Dead! The Musical!. I found a video that was a really good filming of a performance with, I think, the original cast?

And if you're trying to be a purist and stick to orchestral compositions (although Repo doesn't really have that outside of one or two songs, right?), then I'm gonna have to take a bit more time to look though my Letterboxd.

Edit: The Happiness of the Katakuris

Franchescanado fucked around with this message at 18:23 on Aug 26, 2021

Kvlt!
May 19, 2012

Repo is a rock opera/musical because youre right I think it does have some spoken dialogue, I was trying to get as close to the classical definition of opera as possible but it doesn't look like that's exactly something that crosses over with the horror genre very often so I think I'll have to loosen the definition a bit. Will def check out your suggestions, ty!

flashy_mcflash
Feb 7, 2011

I don't know if this ever got released but it's almost entirely sung and the songs were super catchy.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Lz5bjFUgkDg

Franchescanado
Feb 23, 2013

Grimey Drawer

Kvlt! posted:

Repo is a rock opera/musical because youre right I think it does have some spoken dialogue, I was trying to get as close to the classical definition of opera as possible but it doesn't look like that's exactly something that crosses over with the horror genre very often so I think I'll have to loosen the definition a bit. Will def check out your suggestions, ty!

Definitely look into that 1982 performance of Sweeney Todd, cuz it's the best example of what you want, and the performances and compositions rule. I looked around and I can't find the full thing anymore on YouTube for free.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Basebf555
Feb 29, 2008

Fun Shoe
I've only ever seen one musical where it was like, 100% all singing(The Umbrellas of Cherbourg) and I just couldn't handle it. I need some breaks mixed in there with some actual dialogue.