Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Kvlt!
May 19, 2012

flashy_mcflash posted:

I don't know if this ever got released but it's almost entirely sung and the songs were super catchy.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Lz5bjFUgkDg

I will literally watch anything with Jane Levy in it

Franchescanado posted:

Definitely look into that 1982 performance of Sweeney Todd, cuz it's the best example of what you want, and the performances and compositions rule. I looked around and I can't find the full thing anymore on YouTube for free.

I'll def check this out too, I really like the Tim Burton one so I'm going to dig up the 82 one

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Franchescanado
Feb 23, 2013

If it wasn't for disappointment
I wouldn't have any appointment

Grimey Drawer

Basebf555 posted:

I've only ever seen one musical where it was like, 100% all singing(The Umbrellas of Cherbourg) and I just couldn't handle it. I need some breaks mixed in there with some actual dialogue.

I also prefer musicals with dialogue instead of all singing, cuz I like the breaks and how it affects the pacing, but I also think The Umbrellas of Cherbourg is a perfect film. It's what got me over the hump of full-singing, and now I'm down for them.

STAC Goat
Mar 12, 2008

Watching you sleep.

Butt first, let's
check the feeds.

flashy_mcflash posted:

I don't know if this ever got released but it's almost entirely sung and the songs were super catchy.

This is out and on Tubi amongst other services and now very, very, very much at the top of my October watchlist!

Basebf555
Feb 29, 2008

The greatest sensual pleasure there is is to know the desires of another!

Fun Shoe

Franchescanado posted:

I also prefer musicals with dialogue instead of all singing, cuz I like the breaks and how it affects the pacing, but I also think The Umbrellas of Cherbourg is a perfect film. It's what got me over the hump of full-singing, and now I'm down for them.

Oh believe me, if it wasn't such an exceptional film in every other area, I wouldn't have been able to finish it. But I think it was actually a pretty good litmus test for me in that way, unless something is on Umbrellas of Cherbourg's level I'm not gonna even bother with the all singing type of musical.

dorium
Nov 5, 2009

If it gets in your eyes
Just look into mine
Just look into dreams
and you'll be alright
I'll be alright

flashy_mcflash posted:

this looks interesting. a shame Levy just got casted out into the void after Don't Breath. She's got character.

dorium fucked around with this message at 18:51 on Aug 26, 2021

Kvlt!
May 19, 2012

Rob Zombie's Umbrellas of Cherbourg

Franchescanado
Feb 23, 2013

Grimey Drawer

dorium posted:

this looks interesting. a shame Levy just got casted out into the void after Don't Breath. She's got character.

She was in Twin Peaks The Return, Castle Rock and was the main character in a TV show for 2 seasons on NBC. She's not in movies, but she's definitely working.

She's great. The best parts of The Evil Dead blu-ray are all the behind-the-scenes featurettes with her.

STAC Goat
Mar 12, 2008

Watching you sleep.

Butt first, let's
check the feeds.

Yeah, NBC just threw a ton of advertising behind a really off beat musical sitcom vehicle for her and she got a Golden Globe nomination for it. She also headlined some Netflix series in '19. She seems like she's doing fine.

I am also currently rewatching Suburgatory so can confirm that she's always been delightful.

dorium
Nov 5, 2009

If it gets in your eyes
Just look into mine
Just look into dreams
and you'll be alright
I'll be alright

Subrugatory is great and a lightly horror-ish in its own right (if you've lived in those kinda suburbs before).

Basebf555
Feb 29, 2008

Fun Shoe
There's so many streaming services now it's pretty easy to be fooled into thinking a particular actor/actress' career has fallen off cliff if you just happen to not subscribe to that streaming service.

Kvlt!
May 19, 2012

im waiting for the streaming service bundles to start so we can go back to cable

Burkion
May 10, 2012

by Fluffdaddy

Kvlt! posted:

im waiting for the streaming service bundles to start so we can go back to cable

All that is old is new again

Franchescanado
Feb 23, 2013

Grimey Drawer

Basebf555 posted:

There's so many streaming services now it's pretty easy to be fooled into thinking a particular actor/actress' career has fallen off cliff if you just happen to not subscribe to that streaming service.

Kvlt! posted:

It's self-important humblebragging, but I'm relieved I lost interest in most TV shows and series back in the early days of streaming. I can't imagine trying to keep up with what shows are on what streaming services, and how many get uploaded entirely, and which are weekly releases, which are quietly cancelled and which are moving services.

I started watching The Sopranos on HBO Max and never remember to watch it. I went home from work yesterday to watch this Cherry Candy show everyone in here is praising, and when I got home, I completely forgot about it and played Tetris Effects instead, simply cuz I didn't even remember that show.

Kvlt!
May 19, 2012

The Sopranos is my all time fav TV show, force yourself to watch it if you must its a masterpiece

Basebf555
Feb 29, 2008

Fun Shoe

Kvlt! posted:

The Sopranos is my all time fav TV show, force yourself to watch it if you must its a masterpiece

There's a Sopranos thread in the t.v. forum where people still actively post about the show and do rewatches and stuff. Everyone in there is really nice, you should check it out.

flashy_mcflash
Feb 7, 2011

Franchescanado posted:

She was in Twin Peaks The Return, Castle Rock and was the main character in a TV show for 2 seasons on NBC. She's not in movies, but she's definitely working.

She's great. The best parts of The Evil Dead blu-ray are all the behind-the-scenes featurettes with her.

Yeah she's got a ton of work, but imo she's a better version of Emma Stone and should by all rights be at least that level of star.

dorium
Nov 5, 2009

If it gets in your eyes
Just look into mine
Just look into dreams
and you'll be alright
I'll be alright

flashy_mcflash posted:

Yeah she's got a ton of work, but imo she's a better version of Emma Stone and should by all rights be at least that level of star.

:hmmyes:

gey muckle mowser
Aug 5, 2003

Do you know anything about...
witches?

Buglord
I'll watch The Sopranos when it comes to Shudder

Samuel Clemens
Oct 4, 2013

I think we should call the Avengers.

Kvlt! posted:

i was thinking are there any horror movies that are an opera too? not set in an opera, like an actual opera. the only thing i can kinda think of is Repo!

The middle segment of The Tales of Hoffmann. Also Boris Godunov, kind of. There's a TV film based on Bluebeard's Castle, which I haven't seen, but which was directed by Michael Powell and is therefore probably worth a look.

The problem is that good opera movies barely exist, and the best ones are almost exclusively adaptations of lighter works. Probably because opera is already a genre that alienates many, and dark operas have an even smaller potential audience.

dorium
Nov 5, 2009

If it gets in your eyes
Just look into mine
Just look into dreams
and you'll be alright
I'll be alright

gey muckle mowser posted:

The Sopranos on Shudder is just this scene for 10hrs

CelticPredator
Oct 11, 2013
🍀👽🆚🪖🏋

dorium
Nov 5, 2009

If it gets in your eyes
Just look into mine
Just look into dreams
and you'll be alright
I'll be alright

Franchescanado
Feb 23, 2013

Grimey Drawer

Kvlt! posted:

Have you ever seen To Sleep With Anger? It's a Charles Burnett film about a black family who allows a sinister visitor from their past (played by Danny Glover) into their home, and the repercussions of his presence. It heavily features Christianity, old school spiritualism and superstitions, and explores how people create a blend of them into their relationship with each other, their relationship with faith, and their worldview. It was a huge influence on David Chase and The Sopranos, and has that vibe, although it's more of a supernatural drama than a crime drama.

Not outright horror, but has an interesting almost-spooky tone.

Karloff
Mar 21, 2013

gey muckle mowser posted:

Tbf, it's of course not horror but there are some profoundly eerie moments in Sopranos like the dream where the woman (his mother perhaps) is walking down the stairs, and when Paulie sees the Virgin Mary.

Franchescanado
Feb 23, 2013

Grimey Drawer

Karloff posted:

Tbf, it's of course not horror but there are some profoundly eerie moments in Sopranos like the dream where the woman (his mother perhaps) is walking down the stairs, and when Paulie sees the Virgin Mary.

Yeah, there's plenty of imagery that's borderline horror, and there's a supernatural current throughout. (At least the seasons I've watched.)

It's also really funny. I would have watched it years ago if people talked about how funny it can be, and not selling it as just a crime drama.

Kvlt!
May 19, 2012

Franchescanado posted:

Have you ever seen To Sleep With Anger? It's a Charles Burnett film about a black family who allows a sinister visitor from their past (played by Danny Glover) into their home, and the repercussions of his presence. It heavily features Christianity, old school spiritualism and superstitions, and explores how people create a blend of them into their relationship with each other, their relationship with faith, and their worldview. It was a huge influence on David Chase and The Sopranos, and has that vibe, although it's more of a supernatural drama than a crime drama.

Not outright horror, but has an interesting almost-spooky tone.

Bumpin this to the top of my watch list this looks right up my alley! Ty Fran <3

Paulie is the best part of the Sopranos to this day whenever I wanna tell a lovely joke or get a friends attention i go AY TONE, DIDJA HEAR WHAT I SAID! I SAID [insert statement]

CelticPredator
Oct 11, 2013
🍀👽🆚🪖🏋

STAC Goat
Mar 12, 2008

Watching you sleep.

Butt first, let's
check the feeds.

Basebf555 posted:

Yeah, the days of Sunday night prestige tv are dead and "TV" or even "Movies" are just this massive mess of services you've never even heard of. I have all the major streaming services so I'm ok, right? Ok, the new horror series starring Adrienne Brody people are talking about? That's on Epix, I don't have that. The other one I remember having some buzz? Apple TV I don't have either. Oh, but I have the HBO Max and Netflix ones getting buzz. I still haven't watched Mr. Mercedes despite loving the book but it was a on "Direct TV" or something and I couldn't figure out how to watch that for years, but now its on Peacock but that wasn't available on my Fire Stick but now it is so now I can and its all just too drat confusing.

The thing that cracks me up is when someone says "there's no good tv." Like fool, don't you know you're in the golden age for content? There's more tv and film out there than anyone could possibly consume. Its the wild west of media right now.

Franchescanado posted:

It's self-important humblebragging, but I'm relieved I lost interest in most TV shows and series back in the early days of streaming. I can't imagine trying to keep up with what shows are on what streaming services, and how many get uploaded entirely, and which are weekly releases, which are quietly cancelled and which are moving services.

I started watching The Sopranos on HBO Max and never remember to watch it. I went home from work yesterday to watch this Cherry Candy show everyone in here is praising, and when I got home, I completely forgot about it and played Tetris Effects instead, simply cuz I didn't even remember that show.

Yeah, in the old days I could never watch tv because I couldn't count on myself to show up every week on Wednesday at 9 PM. Then DVR and Hulu showed up so I could actually follow a show. Then Netflix and binging. Now I'm lost again. If its not showing up in my Fire Stick's "continue watching" row I'll forget about it completely. I wish Letterboxd would allow tv shows just so I can add them to my little watchlist to remind myself. Instead I'd have to go find another app and then I'm just juggling apps to juggle apps and I'm just gonna read a book.

Darko
Dec 23, 2004

Even with all of the stuff on, TV isn't as good as it was when The Wire/The Shield/Deadwood/Sopranos/Six Feet Under/Curb Your Enthusiasm/Rome etc. were on simultaneously, but we have enough to be around equal to when Sopranos ended, where Breaking Bad/Spartacus/Hannibal etc. were staggering out and somewhat overlapping with those shows and then later pretty good but not as good as The Wire/Sopranos tier shows were showing. But like it was said, it's all spread out between a LOT of channels now and if you aren't rich enough where you don't care about not having everything available at any given time, or know how to get stuff otherwise, it's tough.

I watch everything because I've worked from home for the last 8 years, but without that kind of time available, that also adds to it.

Casimir Radon
Aug 2, 2008

Rome was great but it’s got some of the whackiest time compression I’ve ever seen. Though I’ll have to commend them for still getting it wrapped up since they knew they weren’t getting a third season.

Splint Chesthair
Dec 27, 2004

No one is ever going to be able to watch what’s worth watching, which is why you should just watch all the Friday the 13ths again.

Burkion
May 10, 2012

by Fluffdaddy
Give Justified a shot

Kvlt!
May 19, 2012

Burkion posted:

Give Justified a shot

This has the greatest ending of any TV series. Period. "We Dug Coal Together" > Sopranos ending + Six Feet Under ending combined

MacheteZombie
Feb 4, 2007

Burkion posted:

Give Justified a shot

I loved Justified so much.

STAC Goat
Mar 12, 2008

Watching you sleep.

Butt first, let's
check the feeds.

Darko posted:

Even with all of the stuff on, TV isn't as good as it was when The Wire/The Shield/Deadwood/Sopranos/Six Feet Under/Curb Your Enthusiasm/Rome etc. were on simultaneously, but we have enough to be around equal to when Sopranos ended, where Breaking Bad/Spartacus/Hannibal etc. were staggering out and somewhat overlapping with those shows and then later pretty good but not as good as The Wire/Sopranos tier shows were showing. But like it was said, it's all spread out between a LOT of channels now and if you aren't rich enough where you don't care about not having everything available at any given time, or know how to get stuff otherwise, it's tough.

I watch everything because I've worked from home for the last 8 years, but without that kind of time available, that also adds to it.

I mean those HBO shows were great and I'm not knocking them or the focused quality over a short period of time. But there's stuff out there that's plenty good and probably on the same level. There's an added factor to everyone watching and talking about it at the same time. But there's not that same focused "water cooler"/Sunday Night Prestige TV Night thing. So now like someone raves about White Lotus on HBO Max and someone raves about Queens Gambit on Netflix and Ted Lasso on Apple and Evil on Paramount+ and Reservation Dogs on Hulu and Girls5Eva on Peacock and WandaVision on Disney+ and it all just becomes noise and different people watching different stuff at different times. Shows really have to be something (and weekly releases) to really become the kind of breakthrough mainstream success that back then HBO could just slot a show in at 8 PM on Sunday and people would watch.

Karloff
Mar 21, 2013

Yeah, that's the thing. I'm not sure with the current disparate model a show can really hit that kind of pop-cultural zeitgeist where it has everyone talking. Perhaps Game of Thrones was the last of its kind in that way.

alf_pogs
Feb 15, 2012

Justified rules. the last season particularly goes all-out sort of showcasing every good part of it, and that final scene is such a heartbreaker.

Darko
Dec 23, 2004

STAC Goat posted:

I mean those HBO shows were great and I'm not knocking them or the focused quality over a short period of time. But there's stuff out there that's plenty good and probably on the same level. There's an added factor to everyone watching and talking about it at the same time. But there's not that same focused "water cooler"/Sunday Night Prestige TV Night thing. So now like someone raves about White Lotus on HBO Max and someone raves about Queens Gambit on Netflix and Ted Lasso on Apple and Evil on Paramount+ and Reservation Dogs on Hulu and Girls5Eva on Peacock and WandaVision on Disney+ and it all just becomes noise and different people watching different stuff at different times. Shows really have to be something (and weekly releases) to really become the kind of breakthrough mainstream success that back then HBO could just slot a show in at 8 PM on Sunday and people would watch.

There's nothing like the quality of, say,, The Wire on now, but its almost not fair since we're naming a 1 or 2 best show ever. And that era had 3 of the rotating arguable 1s at once. It's going to take a long time to repeat that.

The watercolor thing is kind of true to a degree, but its more like a doubling thing than exponential. People in that era were subscribed to HBO only, and could talk Sopranos but didn't own Starz to talk Spartacus later, so it was still happening. It helped that the second layer of best shows were on AMC, which was a gateway to HBO then, as opposed to Showtime and 3rd tier channels not getting the same quality of stuff (Dexter, lol).

Also, it's a lot easier to exploit trials or cancel things after a month now, or have hubs like Amazon where you stack everything just like cable. I'm watching the Jerusalems Lot show and will hold on to that for 5 bucks for two months or whatever, but immediately get rid of it because it's worthless, and thats because Amazon serves as the same kind of cable hub that cable was.

Also Justified is really good. Not top tier but right under the Hannibal tier show.

Darko fucked around with this message at 01:47 on Aug 27, 2021

Chris James 2
Aug 9, 2012

STAC Goat posted:

This is out and on Tubi

Hell yeah

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

the_american_dream
Apr 12, 2008

GAHDAMN

Franchescanado posted:

Yeah, there's plenty of imagery that's borderline horror, and there's a supernatural current throughout. (At least the seasons I've watched.)

It's also really funny. I would have watched it years ago if people talked about how funny it can be, and not selling it as just a crime drama.

Someone describing it as actually a comedy is what got it to click for me and I loved it.

Tried twice before watching as typical crime drama series and couldn’t get into it