Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

a mysterious cloak
Apr 5, 2003

Leave me alone, dad, I'm with my friends!

I had a lot of fun with BF1. I hope whatever this next one is called is fun. Like BF1942 fun. It won't be

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Grei Skuring
Sep 12, 2011

:norway::thumbsup:
It has grapple hooks, my friend. Don't be so glum.

DeliciousPatriotism
May 26, 2008
Maybe portal will eventually have every 1942 map and item and things will be magical

I wonder if they have a specific version of wake island in mind to remix. You know we are gonna get one.

Target Practice
Aug 20, 2004

Shit.

Goddamn I wish I could snipe.

Blue Raider
Sep 2, 2006

pro starcraft loser posted:

So stop having classes. Just have everyone be a medic/sniper/engineer/death robot whenever they need.

I cancelled my pre-order as this looks more and more just like BF4 (which was fun) with a little more. I'll see what people think on release.

I’d rather Battlefield go away from CoD and not toward it honestly, from a design standpoint.

Yami Fenrir
Jan 25, 2015

Is it I that is insane... or the rest of the world?
Funnily enough a modernized BF3/4 is exactly what I want since the WW1/2 BF's never worked for me.

Grondoth
Feb 18, 2011
We'll never get BF2 again, will we

That's the Arma/Squad territory now, huh

Blue Raider
Sep 2, 2006

Grondoth posted:

We'll never get BF2 again, will we

That's the Arma/Squad territory now, huh

Bigger=better has really hosed up a lot of shooters. BC2 had the perfect balance, and dice pretends they don’t understand that. Hell, maybe they don’t.

Hot Diggity!
Apr 3, 2010

SKELITON_BRINGING_U_ON.GIF
BC2 could and did often turn to a complete stalemate on some maps due to being able to turn everything into the surface of the moon

The best thing about BC2 was that you couldn't go prone

Beastie
Nov 3, 2006

They used to call me tricky-kid, I lived the life they wish they did.

Hot Diggity! posted:

BC2 could and did often turn to a complete stalemate on some maps due to being able to turn everything into the surface of the moon

The best thing about BC2 was that you couldn't go prone

That and no jets. They are stupid and just take people out of the “battlefield” and put the two pilots in a “shoot you down then run back to my base”

Aces High
Mar 26, 2010

Nah! A little chocolate will do

dang, is that what the game looks like on settings above low?

afkmacro
Mar 29, 2009

When are we gonna see more footage? Isn't there some game conference coming up soon? I'd like to see Snoop dog play again.

PittTheElder
Feb 13, 2012

:geno: Yes, it's like a lava lamp.

Beastie posted:

That and no jets. They are stupid and just take people out of the “battlefield” and put the two pilots in a “shoot you down then run back to my base”

Yeah 2142 didn't have them either and the game was much better for it. Jets are a terrible addition.

jisforjosh
Jun 6, 2006

"It's J is for...you know what? Fuck it, jizz it is"

afkmacro posted:

When are we gonna see more footage? Isn't there some game conference coming up soon? I'd like to see Snoop dog play again.

Gamescom is going on right now and ends tomorrow so likely tomorrow

Tenchrono
Jun 2, 2011

PittTheElder posted:

Yeah 2142 didn't have them either and the game was much better for it. Jets are a terrible addition.

The hover transports and hover heli were cool as hell.

Beastie
Nov 3, 2006

They used to call me tricky-kid, I lived the life they wish they did.

Choppers at least target soft and hard targets, and can be shot down with RPG’s.

I think BC2 did not even have a lock on ability outside the homing dart?

Julius CSAR
Oct 3, 2007

by sebmojo
Yeah but that homing dart was just the absolute best thing ever. Guided RPG-7s? Yes please!

codo27
Apr 21, 2008

Beastie posted:

There we go, now you're talking sense. Jets are such a stupid dumb wate of time

Assepoester
Jul 18, 2004
Probation
Can't post for 10 years!
Melman v2
Planes are an important part of Battlefield but they should be slow, vulnerable, and be forced to take off from an airfield

PittTheElder
Feb 13, 2012

I especially love it when somebody spawns into a jet instantly on round start, rides it across the map, bails out to camp on top of a building, and the jet slowly sails down to a landing to be captured by the other team.

Symetrique
Jan 2, 2013

2042 planes spawn off map, as they should.

The pacific bfv maps were a reminder of why airfields are bad ideas.

Julius CSAR
Oct 3, 2007

by sebmojo
Remember literally waiting in line on Wake to get a Corsair or Zero?

Insert name here
Nov 10, 2009

Oh.
Oh Dear.
:ohdear:

The United States posted:

Planes are an important part of Battlefield but they should be slow, vulnerable, and be forced to take off from an airfield
I had a lot of good times camping the RU plane spawn on Oman before DICE patched in invulnerability on take-off.

jisforjosh
Jun 6, 2006

"It's J is for...you know what? Fuck it, jizz it is"

Symetrique posted:

2042 planes spawn off map, as they should.

The pacific bfv maps were a reminder of why airfields are bad ideas.

Oh God I almost forgot about the airdrop land mine spec on the Pacific planes. Being able to booby trap enemy plane spawns to never be threatened as a plane was such a dumb but impressive troll

Assepoester
Jul 18, 2004
Probation
Can't post for 10 years!
Melman v2

jisforjosh posted:

Oh God I almost forgot about the airdrop land mine spec on the Pacific planes. Being able to booby trap enemy plane spawns to never be threatened as a plane was such a dumb but impressive troll
Hell Yeah https://www.reddit.com/r/BattlefieldV/comments/dzv1nv/at_mines_on_runways/

Julius CSAR posted:

Remember literally waiting in line on Wake to get a Corsair or Zero?
Well back then you could friendly fire your own vehicles so if someone else got in a plane before you, you knew what to do

Inspector Hound
Jul 14, 2003

With 128 player servers maybe they get five jets going on each team so there's some turnover

e or at least make all the jets seat two

Captain Beans
Aug 5, 2004

Whar be the beans?
Hair Elf
Jets should remain in the game because seeing jets rip it overhead while dumping flares and missiles and poo poo in the sky looks awesome from the ground.

HOWEVER, jets should have limited direct impact on ground forces. Let jets job be to kill helicopters and vehicles and poo poo but do basically nothing to infantry would be ideal.

SpartanIvy
May 18, 2007
Hair Elf

Captain Beans posted:

Jets should remain in the game because seeing jets rip it overhead while dumping flares and missiles and poo poo in the sky looks awesome from the ground.

HOWEVER, jets should have limited direct impact on ground forces. Let jets job be to kill helicopters and vehicles and poo poo but do basically nothing to infantry would be ideal.

Have jets in the game but with no guns, missiles, or bombs.

Insert name here
Nov 10, 2009

Oh.
Oh Dear.
:ohdear:

Captain Beans posted:

My controversial opinion is that I'm 100% okay with jets just loving murdering me out of the blue if I could do the same to them if they overfly me. Like if I could just ambush them instantly knock them out of the sky for the crime of being alive. Instead of what normally happens which is they casually pop flares and fly off laughing, probably without even changing course.

PittTheElder
Feb 13, 2012

Also I'll happily put up with jets if a stinger will one-hit a Little Bird.

Blue Raider
Sep 2, 2006

PittTheElder posted:

Also I'll happily put up with jets if a stinger will one-hit a Little Bird.

Helicopters in general are like several orders of magnitude more of a pain than jets. The only people most skylords are a threat to are other skylords. You see the occasional jet savant, but they’re pretty uncommon in my experience.

Shrimp or Shrimps
Feb 14, 2012

Every 5 kills without a death a littlebird or jet pilot gets, they are autoejected (into OOB / the sun).

PittTheElder
Feb 13, 2012

Yea. And like I don't even really mind it so much with the Attack Heli, like they should be slightly less survivable but they have never completely dominated the entire map like I routinely saw scout helis do in BF4. The combo of countermeasures defeating all threats (rather than one type of guidance), on-board repair crews, and raw speed just made it impossible to defeat them even with multiple MANPAD equipped infantry.

ScootsMcSkirt
Oct 29, 2013

make all aircraft vulnerable to small arms fire, especially jets

Sgt. Cosgrove
Mar 16, 2007

How about I bend your body into funny balloon animal shapes?

ScootsMcSkirt posted:

This is why bf1 is the best recent bf

FAUXTON
Jun 2, 2005

spero che tu stia bene

opening up with AP ammo on aircraft very obviously made them gently caress right off so I'm hoping they aren't getting screeched at too much by the usual suspects

Kibayasu
Mar 28, 2010

ScootsMcSkirt posted:

It's going to be very annoying when 2042 doesn't have this.

Chronojam
Feb 20, 2006

This is me on vacation in Amsterdam :)
Never be afraid of being yourself!

FAUXTON posted:

opening up with AP ammo on aircraft very obviously made them gently caress right off so I'm hoping they aren't getting screeched at too much by the usual suspects

It was Anti Plane ammo all along!? Sold!

Alkydere
Jun 7, 2010
Capitol: A building or complex of buildings in which any legislature meets.
Capital: A city designated as a legislative seat by the government or some other authority, often the city in which the government is located; otherwise the most important city within a country or a subdivision of it.

ScootsMcSkirt posted:

Do this and make countermeasures not 100% guaranteed. Even if they're 99% effective if there's anti-air on the map I'll absolutely take the air-shooty weapon just to add my roll of the dice to everyone else telling the skygod to gently caress off.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Nitevision
Oct 5, 2004

Your Friendly FYAD Helper
Ask Me For FYAD Help
Another Reason To Talk To Me Is To Hangout

PittTheElder posted:

Yea. And like I don't even really mind it so much with the Attack Heli, like they should be slightly less survivable but they have never completely dominated the entire map like I routinely saw scout helis do in BF4. The combo of countermeasures defeating all threats (rather than one type of guidance), on-board repair crews, and raw speed just made it impossible to defeat them even with multiple MANPAD equipped infantry.

The pre-nerf Mi-28 in BF2 :corsair: could run the entire map unless the other team had a crew on the Cobra who were better with the TV missile. BF2 also had the bomber jets with TV missiles on the second seat and the huge bomb salvos on the pilot seat. Honestly they should bring that back, popping tanks from 1000ft up with a guided missile was loving cool