Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Evil Eagle
Nov 5, 2009

Up to map 27 of AA now. 25 was fun aside from the yellow key and I gave 26 several shots before I just did a speedrun of it, I could not find the secrets and just got whittled down by the chaingunners every time before reaching the final fight. there has to be at least 50 chaingunners on that map lol. One map away from the return of Joshy

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

ArfJason
Sep 5, 2011
Probation
Can't post for 2 hours!

Evil Eagle posted:

Up to map 27 of AA now. 25 was fun aside from the yellow key and I gave 26 several shots before I just did a speedrun of it, I could not find the secrets and just got whittled down by the chaingunners every time before reaching the final fight. there has to be at least 50 chaingunners on that map lol. One map away from the return of Joshy

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=L4yLckVpCS0

Evil Eagle
Nov 5, 2009

709 enemies thank you joshy

map 27 owned

Evil Eagle
Nov 5, 2009

this map is hosed lmao

trying to jack off
Dec 31, 2007

Evil Eagle posted:

709 enemies thank you joshy

map 27 owned

hoipe

Evil Eagle
Nov 5, 2009

I finished Ancient Aliens last night and man I loved every minute. All of the maps are memorable but I wanted to talk a little about the most memorable and cool ones.

Map 05: Last Refuge of the Anasazi

This is the map that made me realize that this game was actually gonna be pretty rough to finish. Thinking about the later maps in the game it's funny just how much trouble the lone roaming cyberdemon gave me.

Map 08: Ancient Aliens

Such a cool and brutal map. One of the most memorable to me and a really fun hurdle to overcome, I definitely wasn't ready for this after just playing Doom 2 vanilla.The UFO teleporters this map introduces are so sick, I love how they're used across the entire wad. The second ufo was by far the hardest fight to the point that I ended up just running from it at the time lol.

Map 09: The Nectar Flow

Hell map by joshy, biggest roadblock in the whole game by far. After I beat this I decided I had to finish the game without saves regardless of what came next. Three different arch-vile ambushes that you have to kill like 300 enemies to get to in the first place.

Map 13: Polychromatic Terrace

Beautiful map, but I mostly have it here because it has my favorite song in the game. https://stuartrynn.bandcamp.com/track/gold-rush

Map 15: Wormhole Junction

Pure chaos from start to finish, with Arch-viles at the very end to revive everything when you think you're finally done. I don't even know where the normal exit to this map is because the ending is so hectic, luckily the secret exit is accessible about halfway through the map.

Map 31: Grey Dwarf

My fave of the two secret maps but the other one is great too. This one takes place on a giant starship that's packed with secrets to discover. The fight on the bridge of the ship stood out above the rest. I spent quite some time finding the secret exit in this one.

Map 16: Leave Your Sol Behind

On their own the 3 sections of this map aren't anything mindblowing but traveling to each section via ufo sure was. The final fight in this one is so easy to mess up and get sandwiched if you hesitate at all.

Map 19: Crash Landing

A map you're meant to punch your way through. It whipped my rear end

Map 23: Trinary Temple

The longest map in the game and another very chaotic one. There aren't that many revenants but if you leave any of them alive you'll definitely die to homing rockets from a mile away. The final room is especially brutal, with 4 groups of the new flying enemy that spawn far away enough from each other that you can't deal with all of them at once without the BFG.

Map 24: Culture Shock

A breath of fresh air after Trinary Temple and probably the coolest map in the wad. It has one very hard fight against 4 arch-viles, 4 sniping mancubi and a poo poo-ton of imps and pinky demons but it's a great looking map with tons of sweet and unique elements.

Map 27: Kingdom of the Crystal Skulls

Just a fun map, plain and simple. It has several different paths you have to take to get the 3 keys you need to open up the temple at the end. The calm before the storm.

Map 28: Floating Arena

Return of Joshy. I spent like 5 hours on this map last night and now I know how to fight cyberdemons. Sort of. Easily the hardest map in the game to me but a lot of the difficulty is front-loaded. Then you get the BFG. I definitely relied on a lot of in-fighting after getting all 3 keys though.

Map 29: The Ones Behind It All

The finale. Despite the higher kill count this map isn't nearly as long or as hard as Floating Arena. Just 2 well paced fights and some story followed by a super cool arena fight to cap it all off. The music here loving owns https://stuartrynn.bandcamp.com/track/colliding-nebulae

Amazing WAD, I may go back one day and try and UV-max it but for now there's so much more Doom to play. I'm gonna take a break from Skillsaw and wait a bit on playing through Valiant and Heartland. Firing up Eviternity next.

Evil Eagle fucked around with this message at 00:23 on Aug 24, 2021

Squeezy Farm
Jun 16, 2009
love culture shock and all the aa music ftw

big deal
Sep 10, 2017

Evil Eagle posted:

On their own the 3 sections of this map aren't anything mindblowing but traveling to each section via ufo sure was.

kool

Evil Eagle
Nov 5, 2009

Played a couple maps of Eviternity tonight and some Going Down. Map 5 of Going Down was really cool but the next map kinda huffs my balls with pistol start

mysterious loyall X
Jul 8, 2003

going down is very hard i bumped it down to hmp for a lot of the maps :cool:

Evil Eagle
Nov 5, 2009

jpcp map 11:

lol. gently caress this map though its full of death teleporters

ArfJason
Sep 5, 2011
Probation
Can't post for 2 hours!
but do you like caco?

mysterious loyall X
Jul 8, 2003

it was cute

Evil Eagle
Nov 5, 2009

ArfJason posted:

but do you like caco?

lol. well deserved fate for those who choose no

Kongming
Aug 30, 2005

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Hyy_g59SsXM

Bolverkur
Aug 9, 2012

lol

Fungah!
Apr 30, 2011

lol

big deal
Sep 10, 2017

🤏🏿 👹

ArfJason
Sep 5, 2011
Probation
Can't post for 2 hours!
gonna play dwell, a still in progress quake mod

mysterious loyall X
Jul 8, 2003

smell

Evil Eagle
Nov 5, 2009

Playing jpcp a bunch has inspired me to try and make a map of my own...iz community episode hype let's go

ArfJason
Sep 5, 2011
Probation
Can't post for 2 hours!

Evil Eagle posted:

Playing jpcp a bunch has inspired me to try and make a map of my own...iz community episode hype let's go

you stole that from me talking about making doom maps. gently caress you.

ArfJason
Sep 5, 2011
Probation
Can't post for 2 hours!
also the map ill make is gonna be complete turds. bye.

mysterious loyall X
Jul 8, 2003

making maps seems hard. well if you want to make a good one

Evil Eagle
Nov 5, 2009

ArfJason posted:

you stole that from me talking about making doom maps. gently caress you.

Nah I was thinking about it while playing map 9 and 10 of jpcp but you making a map too would definitely give me more incentive to. Those maps have simple but mostly interesting fights and I felt like I could make something similar while playing them

Bolverkur
Aug 9, 2012

Imp Zone Presents: Imp Zone

Bolverkur
Aug 9, 2012

its about time

Squeezy Farm
Jun 16, 2009

mysterious loyall X posted:

making maps seems hard. well if you want to make a good one

This is why I will be making the website instead :hai:

American McGay
Feb 28, 2010

by sebmojo

Bolverkur posted:

Imp Zone Presents: Imp Zone
You're about 25 years late on that one.

https://www.wad-archive.com/wad/THE-IMP-ZONE

Pablo Nergigante
Apr 16, 2002

:thejoke:

trying to jack off
Dec 31, 2007

i used to make maps for half life as a teen so im sure i could make and even shittier map in doom

Evil Eagle
Nov 5, 2009

my map is gonna have so many waterfalls...

Lunchmeat Larry
Nov 3, 2012

I made Morrowind mods and let me tell you the level design was not a high point. Neither was anything else though

trying to jack off
Dec 31, 2007

im getting real hype now

Cat Machine
Jun 18, 2008

an IZ community project where the only enemies allowed are imps would be pretty cute

GorfZaplen
Jan 20, 2012

Lunchmeat Larry posted:

I made Morrowind mods and let me tell you the level design was not a high point. Neither was anything else though

I used this dungeon generator program to make huge awful 100 level dungeons and I'd just add an insanely op boss monster at the bottom and call it good and submit it to Planet Elder Scrolls

Lunchmeat Larry
Nov 3, 2012

GorfZaplen posted:

I used this dungeon generator program to make huge awful 100 level dungeons and I'd just add an insanely op boss monster at the bottom and call it good and submit it to Planet Elder Scrolls
Lmao I only had two "big" dungeons but I think I used the exact same one for those. Awful stuff

Bolverkur
Aug 9, 2012

I was always way too stupid to make anything properly. I just used the editor to customize whatever house mod I was using, mostly adding weapons and books so they were displayed nicely.

In Training
Jun 28, 2008

I'll make a doom level

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

big deal
Sep 10, 2017

i'll make the website :D :grin: