Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Cythereal
Nov 8, 2009

I love the potoo,
and the potoo loves you.

Leraika posted:

Blue Mage 101: BLU and You

Added a link to this in the OP!

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Rosalie_A
Oct 30, 2011

Leraika posted:

Wait a second, if I can't enter dungeons, how do I get exp?

Good news! BLU has an increased EXP gain and lower EXP-to-Level than real classes, so farming monsters to level is actually feasible (and the intended way to level the class)! I'll discuss an alternative later on, however.

It's very much worth noting: this only applies to regular overworld enemies. Dungeon and FATE enemies do not give boosted EXP.

Tortolia
Dec 29, 2005

Hindustan Electronics Employee of the Month, July 2008
Grimey Drawer

Leraika posted:

Blue Mage 101: BLU and You

Great overview! Few other points of note:

1) Some BLU spells share a cooldown with other spells. In some cases you can probably use either one that strikes your fancy, in other cases there is probably going to be an objectively superior option if you get to choose between both.
2) You're going to get a lot of seemingly redundant skills (220 potency-with-falloff AOE damage spells in particular). For the most part these are interchangeable, but which element they do comes into play in the Masked Carnivale content.
3) BLU lives and dies on dumb spell combos or conditional spells. One of the premiere combinations is The Ram's Voice (point blank AOE that freezes enemies solid) and Ultravibration (a spell that instantly kills anything that's frozen or petrified).
4) While BLU is considered a DPS class, once you have access to the level 60 dungeons post 3.0, you can learn Aetherial Mimicry. This spell lets you mimic the role from another player - either DPS to get a DPS boost, tanks to get a defense boost, or healers to gain healing power boosts. Some spells have modifiers based on mimicry; one example is Pom Cure, a 100 potency heal that increases to 500 potency when you have mimiced a healer.
5) You can vomit fish at people with Flying Sardine.
6) You can also throw poop at people with Feculent Flood (it might be mud or something, but it's funnier this way)

Leraika
Jun 14, 2015

Luckily, I *did* save your old avatar. Fucked around and found out indeed.
These are all very good points, but I thought maybe a bit too much for BLU 101.

Tortolia
Dec 29, 2005

Grimey Drawer

Leraika posted:

These are all very good points, but I thought maybe a bit too much for BLU 101.

Yeah, that's why I noted them separately as a supplement, in case people get excited about the prospect of fish vomit as a motivator.

Leraika
Jun 14, 2015

Tortolia posted:

Yeah, that's why I noted them separately as a supplement, in case people get excited about the prospect of fish vomit as a motivator.

Fair enough! thanks for the addendum.

Regalingualius
Jan 7, 2012

We gazed into the eyes of madness... And all we found was horny.

Can you also learn Sarda’s spell that causes Black Mage to literally puke his guts out? :v:

shoc77
Apr 21, 2015
So there's kinda of a weird problem I'm facing. Now that I've just completed ARR and beginning to head into Heavensward, there was a huge chain of events which occur at the ARR finale.

Naturally, wanting to find more in depth details to what exactly happened, I tried googling the names of the NPCs involved and got spoiled with their deaths just by typing their names in the search bar which soured the whole experience.

Is there any way to avoid these kind of spoilers other than completely abstaining from looking up FF14 stuff which would mean I would have to finish up to SB before even daring to do another search like that again?

Leraika
Jun 14, 2015

shoc77 posted:

So there's kinda of a weird problem I'm facing. Now that I've just completed ARR and beginning to head into Heavensward, there was a huge chain of events which occur at the ARR finale.

Naturally, wanting to find more in depth details to what exactly happened, I tried googling the names of the NPCs involved and got spoiled with their deaths just by typing their names in the search bar which soured the whole experience.

Is there any way to avoid these kind of spoilers other than completely abstaining from looking up FF14 stuff which would mean I would have to finish up to SB before even daring to do another search like that again?

You can always ask someone here to PM you with more information, but give in mind that HW was a long time ago for most people and they might not know exactly where you are and what is and isn't a spoiler for you. Other than that, it really might be a good idea not to google for story elements if you're worried about spoilers.

Mister Olympus
Oct 31, 2011

Buzzard, Who Steals From Dead Bodies

shoc77 posted:

probably for the best, yeah

Vintersorg
Mar 3, 2004

President of
the Brendan Fraser
Fan Club

It's a shame you have to wait till 50 for the Dragoon chest piece -- should have been the helmet! Cause...

:lol:

ShootaBoy
Jan 6, 2010

Anime is Bad.
Except for Pokemon, Valkyria Chronicles and 100% OJ.

I need some help goons. This is the first mmo that I've put more than an hour in since I left WoW at the start of Cata, and I only ever played a demolock and a DK that I never did anything social on. Before picking Marauder I had never been a tank and never tanked a thing. I deal with a lot of anxiety in general going into stuff I don't know, and it's made even worse when I have people to let down support. I eventually managed to get through the first two and a few days ago finally got the nerve for the mines.

It was awful. I opened by saying hi in the chat, letting everyone know that I'm really new to tanking and had never done this dungeon before, to a response of total silence. The rogue/monk, idk which he was, almost immediately dashed ahead and came back with a bunch of mobs that I had to scramble to pick up. We killed those and while I was trying to type he took off and brought more back. I finally got some time to finish a sentence and asked him to please not do that and let me, the tank, pull. He did it again. So I said in chat to stop flying ahead like that. He kept going while nobody said anything. So I just dropped the duty. Yes yes boo blah votekick, I had no idea where the votekick was or how it works (still don't), had no clue if they were in group or anything, so I bailed as I was swarmed with flashbacks and memories going "Oh yeah! This is why I don't play anything multiplayer anymore, cause people are poo poo!" and I just desperately wanted the hell out of there.

And now I can't build up the nerve to go back and try again. I'm super worked up over running into some bullshit like that again. If I was a DPS I could probably handle an rear end in a top hat, but when I'm the tank? It's a ton of pressure to know I can end up stuck with someone or someones who can turn a somewhat stressful but ultimately satisfying half hour into hell. It's been more than 3 days and I can't even get myself to fire up the game.

Hunter Noventa
Apr 21, 2010

ShootaBoy posted:

I need some help goons. This is the first mmo that I've put more than an hour in since I left WoW at the start of Cata, and I only ever played a demolock and a DK that I never did anything social on. Before picking Marauder I had never been a tank and never tanked a thing. I deal with a lot of anxiety in general going into stuff I don't know, and it's made even worse when I have people to let down support. I eventually managed to get through the first two and a few days ago finally got the nerve for the mines.

It was awful. I opened by saying hi in the chat, letting everyone know that I'm really new to tanking and had never done this dungeon before, to a response of total silence. The rogue/monk, idk which he was, almost immediately dashed ahead and came back with a bunch of mobs that I had to scramble to pick up. We killed those and while I was trying to type he took off and brought more back. I finally got some time to finish a sentence and asked him to please not do that and let me, the tank, pull. He did it again. So I said in chat to stop flying ahead like that. He kept going while nobody said anything. So I just dropped the duty. Yes yes boo blah votekick, I had no idea where the votekick was or how it works (still don't), had no clue if they were in group or anything, so I bailed as I was swarmed with flashbacks and memories going "Oh yeah! This is why I don't play anything multiplayer anymore, cause people are poo poo!" and I just desperately wanted the hell out of there.

And now I can't build up the nerve to go back and try again. I'm super worked up over running into some bullshit like that again. If I was a DPS I could probably handle an rear end in a top hat, but when I'm the tank? It's a ton of pressure to know I can end up stuck with someone or someones who can turn a somewhat stressful but ultimately satisfying half hour into hell. It's been more than 3 days and I can't even get myself to fire up the game.

That's a highly out-of-the-ordinary experience, and I'm sorry you had it. What server are you on? If there are some goons there I'm sure they'd be more than happy to give you a better time of it.

Piell
Sep 3, 2006

Grey Worm's Ken doll-like groin throbbed with the anticipatory pleasure that only a slightly warm and moist piece of lemoncake could offer

Young Orc

ShootaBoy posted:

First, I can say that is a very rare occurrence to have happened to you, almost everyone I've ever done a dungeon with has been chill and cool with new people, so while it sucks that it happened to you you shouldn't have to worry too much about it.

Second, since you've hit level 10 (since you have dungeon access) you can always switch classes to a DPS if you want a chance to check out dungeons before doing them as a tank and reassure yourself that you aren't going to be running into constant shitheads. Its very doable to keep 2 classes at appropriate levels doing the main story and some duty roulettes.

Leraika
Jun 14, 2015

ShootaBoy posted:

I'm level 80 in every class in the game and this is still my nightmare; that person was a top-class dick and I'm sorry that happened to you. If you're on Crystal, I'd be more than happy to run some dungeons with you to help you ease back into tanking.

Begemot
Oct 14, 2012

The One True Oden

I'm sorry that happened to you, it sucks. People can be really bad about going on autopilot in early dungeons, but running ahead and grabbing mobs is just a huge dick move.

Copperbell Mines tends to bring out the worst in people because two of the bosses involve waiting around not doing anything. The most common form of toxic behavior in this game is just people being super impatient.

For the record, to kick someone you open the party menu (hotkey O on PC) and right click their name on the list. It can't be done while you're either rolling for gear or in combat, so it can sometimes be annoying to get it though.

Wicked Them Beats
Apr 1, 2007

Moralists don't really *have* beliefs. Sometimes they stumble on one, like on a child's toy left on the carpet. The toy must be put away immediately. And the child reprimanded.

Unfortunately there are a small number of people who think they're being helpful or encouraging by trying to speed up the tank, when in reality it can cause some serious stress if the player already has a case of tank-xiety. Thankfully it's really uncommon. In 99% of the content I've been in people let the tank set the pace, literally following a half-step behind them wherever they go.

And in more good news, I've been playing for a couple hundred hours at this point and have yet to see anyone get even moderately salty over a party wipe. I know it can feel overwhelming sometimes but the players are overall quite chill and relaxed, and the consequences for failure are low to nonexistent, so don't be afraid to make mistakes or try out stuff that you aren't comfortable with. The stakes might feel high while you're playing but they are really about as low as they can get in an MMO environment.

Algid
Oct 10, 2007

Leraika posted:

Self-Destruct: Learned from Glide Bombs in Western Thanalan and most other bomb-type enemies afterwards. It's AOE Final Sting, but does less damage, and is thus generally less useful (though the fact that you can use it without an enemy target opens up some fun ways to cheese jumping puzzles and similar). Keep in mind that the use of either of these spells will give you the Brush with Death debuff, which will prevent you from using a self-KO move again for ten minutes. This is the price one pays for ultimate dps, I guess. Also remember that you cannot learn spells when you are dead!
Self destruct can also be used as return #2, which can save you some gil. Brush with death can be removed by instancing or leaving an instance if you really want/need to kill yourself many times in a row.

Tortolia
Dec 29, 2005

Grimey Drawer

shoc77 posted:

Outside of concurring with what the other folks have said on this point, I'll just note that in general the game is very good about filling in details on things as it goes along, so if you're wondering about certain aspects of scenes or character behaviors it's pretty likely they're going to be elaborated on in time.

ShootaBoy posted:

It's been more than 3 days and I can't even get myself to fire up the game.

That stinks and I'm very sorry to hear about it. What server are you on? If there's goons there I'm sure folks can coordinate to tag along on runs while you get the hang of it. It's definitely not the normal behavior for folks, and honestly it sounds like some other newcomer pulling that nonsense - veterans know not to do that, especially in Copperbell, which is very unusual dungeonwise in that mobs leash, and if folks try to pull them too far they tend to go invulnerable and it's a big pain in the rear end for everyone.

The other alternative if you can't synch up with goons, if you are able to use it (might not be available on the free trial, I'm not sure what your status is), would be to set up a party finder listing. PF can be used to recruit for any duty and for basically any reason, and I imagine that if you put up a listing for a dungeon with a note along the lines of "New tank doing a first time run, looking for patient party members" you'd probably get a taker or two faster than you might expect.

Regardless, if the situation was causing you stress it is absolutely totally valid to leave the instance outright and not subject yourself to it. The only penalty for jumping ship is a 30m timer to queue again, but you're otherwise free to run around and do whatever. Here's hoping you can make another go at it and it runs more smoothly.

ShootaBoy
Jan 6, 2010

Anime is Bad.
Except for Pokemon, Valkyria Chronicles and 100% OJ.

Thanks for all the reassuring words, goons. It definitely helps some to hear. I think I'll probably just stay away for a couple more days and then like, get really high or something and log in to do some fishing or cooking for a while, eventually work back up to another try. Cause whoo drat if even just remembering that to type it out didn't get to me. Not gonna be doing any SuperXtreme dungeons probably ever, thats for sure.

Tulip
Jun 3, 2008

yeah thats pretty good

I'm sure some folks here would get a whole group together with the expectation of helping a newbie tank. It's just 3 other people after all, and just doing a dungeon while teaching is not like, awful or anything.

Tortolia
Dec 29, 2005

Grimey Drawer

ShootaBoy posted:

Thanks for all the reassuring words, goons. It definitely helps some to hear. I think I'll probably just stay away for a couple more days and then like, get really high or something and log in to do some fishing or cooking for a while, eventually work back up to another try. Cause whoo drat if even just remembering that to type it out didn't get to me. Not gonna be doing any SuperXtreme dungeons probably ever, thats for sure.

The good news is the duties you have to run as part of the main storyline are tuned well enough that groups can reasonably expect to get by in a few attempts even blind, so it's generally not a big stressor.

Fishing is a ton of fun, and since you have airship access to Ul'dah now you can also unlock the Gold Saucer for a bunch of chill minigames to unlock and play. You can absolutely just get high and spend all evening playing cards or chocobo racing or something.

shoc77
Apr 21, 2015
I think most random peeps I've grouped with via Duty Finder are pretty chill. Maybe it's just I'm still low levelled and most of the peeps I'm paired with are sprouts like myself.

Whenever I happen to mess up, I just let out an "Ooops sorry, my bad." and just carry on the run with no drama or what so ever.

The biggest mistake I made maining a Warrior is in one dungeon where you are supposed to ignore the adds and let them explode on a targeted person. Not knowing the mechanics, I tried to grab aggro and ended bombing the entire group, which just resulted in a LOL from everyone.

1stGear
Jan 16, 2010

Here's to the new us.
I don't think there's any direct spoilers in this post, but I'll tag the whole thing just in case. Its in regards to the Coerthas parts of ARR and the ARR > Heavensward transition:

Am I supposed to know what's going on in regards to the Ishgardians and Dravanians and so forth? I've got the general vibe that the two factions are war and there's some religous elements to it and all, but the specifics elude me. Which would be fine, except the writing seems to imply that I should have a better handle on the whole situation.

I don't want anything spoiled, just wanted to make sure I didn't miss something in all the sidequests I've been skipping.

Wicked Them Beats
Apr 1, 2007

Moralists don't really *have* beliefs. Sometimes they stumble on one, like on a child's toy left on the carpet. The toy must be put away immediately. And the child reprimanded.

1stGear posted:

I don't think there's any direct spoilers in this post, but I'll tag the whole thing just in case. Its in regards to the Coerthas parts of ARR and the ARR > Heavensward transition:

Am I supposed to know what's going on in regards to the Ishgardians and Dravanians and so forth? I've got the general vibe that the two factions are war and there's some religous elements to it and all, but the specifics elude me. Which would be fine, except the writing seems to imply that I should have a better handle on the whole situation.

I don't want anything spoiled, just wanted to make sure I didn't miss something in all the sidequests I've been skipping.

Nah you're fine, you haven't been given all the history and backstory yet. You'll learn more as you go.

Begemot
Oct 14, 2012

The One True Oden

1stGear posted:

I don't think it's supposed to be totally clear yet. The war between Ishgard and the Dravanians is what Heavensward is about, so you'll get plenty of exposition about it there. The general gist of "catholic elves vs dragons" is all you really need at this point

1stGear
Jan 16, 2010

Here's to the new us.
Excellent, thank you both. Its nice playing an MMO where the developers actually gave a poo poo about the world and story.

Sunday Morning
Apr 7, 2007

Easy
Smellrose
The side quests do flesh out a bit more of the situation but it's not anything that won't be explained in more detail during hw. And yes a coherent story is very important to the devs and writers. A lot of stuff in the early game is carried on or brought into greater importance later in the game as if it was all planned out from the beginning. It is nice.

Regalingualius
Jan 7, 2012

We gazed into the eyes of madness... And all we found was horny.

See also: all of those kinda pointless filler quests in the middle of the ARR postgame that suddenly became incredibly important at the very end.

Antivehicular
Dec 30, 2011

I wanna sing one for the cars
That are right now headed silent down the highway
And it's dark and there is nobody driving And something has got to give

Everyone is correct that the Ishgard/Dravania war will be properly explained in HW, but if you're curious now, the Coerthas Central Highlands sidequests in ARR will give some good flavor about the situation. They're definitely worth running just for the writing, IMHO.

Boba Pearl
Dec 27, 2019

by Athanatos
I'm still in HW so I'm probably 2 or 3 months off or even 6 months off at my play rate but how does end game raiding work? I had assumed if you did any end game content you'd just use the duty finder.

Leraika
Jun 14, 2015

Boba Pearl posted:

I'm still in HW so I'm probably 2 or 3 months off or even 6 months off at my play rate but how does end game raiding work? I had assumed if you did any end game content you'd just use the duty finder.

Nooooo. Don't use DF for raid-tier content (Extremes/Savage). Get a party together through PF or set up a static for long-term practice through social media or your FC.

Hellioning
Jun 27, 2008

Japan does things differently, I believe (you use Party Finder for practice and then Duty Finder for actual attempts), but in the NA Datacenters, at least, for any Savage/Extreme/Ultimate content, you either make your own premade group or use Party Finder.

For Party Finder, there are three kinds of parties. Practice parties are, well, for practice. Then there are clear parties that are specifically designed to kill the boss; you're generally expected to know what you're doing, even if you're not entirely capable of managing it yet. Then, after you've cleared a duty once, you can make groups specifically for people who have already cleared that duty, so you can farm it for gear or mounts or whatever.

cheetah7071
Oct 20, 2010

honk honk
College Slice
You can generally assume that everyone in the party is at least two steps behind the advertised competence of the party though

Tekopo
Oct 24, 2008

When you see it, you'll shit yourself.

I've had mixed experiences with PF. I had one weekend, for example, when I was grinding out a specific extreme where, on Saturday, I was able to do 7 clears from about 8 pulls. Tried again on sunday for a similar number of pulls but only 1 clear. You have to have a lot of patience if you intend to PF.

The two things that have annoyed me the most about PF is people that join Practice PFs and leave after one wipe, or people that join farm PFs, get the mount/weapon/card/etc and then immediately leave without at least doing one/two more clears.

Kwyndig
Sep 23, 2006

Heeeeeey

It's considered bad manners to just leave a farm party, doesn't mean people won't do it, there's a lot of inconsiderate players in the pool, as it were.

Tortolia
Dec 29, 2005

Grimey Drawer
Note that the use of preformed groups and party finder as mentioned above only applies to EX, Savage, or Ultimate difficulty content. Just doing the current expansion 8 raid at normal difficulty or the 24 man raids is absolutely a queue-and-go affair using duty finder.

Just want to make sure we're on the same page in terms of what "endgame raiding" means here.

I'll go one step further as well and note that EX fights, while sometimes tricky, are absolutely things you can expect to learn and clear in a few sessions at most so you can farm up the weapons, barding and mounts. Savage is the leap into "you can do this via PF but probably want to get a static together" tier.

If you're in Catgirl Bargains there are LFG channels that can be used to coordinate runs of higher end content and if you're on Excalibur or the Primal DC there's also a few dedicated EX mount farming groups you can look to hook up with once you start getting into later expansion content.

Aades
Nov 28, 2005

Guns Up!

I've been playing for a month or two now and have done a lot of dumb things in dungeons.

It took me three or four dungeons before I figured out how to Party chat.

One dungeon boss had a ton of aoe stuff constantly popping up, so when I died I thought I would save the healer from trying to rez me while they dodge aoe by releasing and running back. I didn't know the boss was walled off after the fight starts so I got to stand there in shame and watch the others kill the boss.

My firewall blocked the game during the first dungeon. When I got back in 10 minutes later I found the dungeon clear and the group had not kicked me.

In the last crystal tower raid I mostly just followed the crowd and tried not to die after we wiped a couple times on the first boss. It's been a lot of fun and people have been very positive in the leveling dungeons. I can't remember any impatient comments and the advice has been friendly.

TrucMachinChose
Oct 9, 2012
I've been curious about ff14 for years, so even if I just have an average laptop, no experience in mmos and I'm clumsy as hell I downloaded the trial yesterday and i've been having fun! I just leveled up my archer to 10. Should I keep going for a bit or immediately try for a new job to see what it's like? also god this game is pretty. also i've pretty much only ever lurked in these forums and never posted, so trying more new things again!

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Onean
Feb 11, 2010

Maiden in white...
You are not one of us.
If you're interested in a Job, give it a try. At worst you'll be out a bit of time from leveling, and at best you'll find your next favorite. You're still too low to get a feel for them at high level, but by level 10 you'll have a beginning grasp on idea of what the 1-30 class story might be about, and whether that interests you or not.