Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Jonny 290
May 5, 2005

[ASK] me about OS/2 Warp
there are all kinds of cool little battery packs out there. some of us are getting this brand

https://www.amazon.com/Jackery-Portable-Power-Station-Generator/dp/B07D29QNMJ/

i have the little bitty 160wh one and it's fairly needs suiting for a low power ham rig

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

KoRMaK
Jul 31, 2012

i one time csme across a group of kids playing a full 5 piece band with speakers here in front of the arena downtown and not only were they really really good for their ages (high schoolers) but i was moreso fixated on how the hell they solved their power problem

from across the street it looked like their might have been a small generator but i couldn't really tell

Jonny 290
May 5, 2005

[ASK] me about OS/2 Warp
ive seen more than one busker with a car battery on a hand cart and a lil' inverter

echinopsis
Apr 13, 2004

by Fluffdaddy
cool. just checked and hydrasynth is 12v at 1amp

I presume that makes it very easy to use a car battery lol

e: stage name : dr deep

echinopsis fucked around with this message at 08:36 on Aug 10, 2021

Jonny 290
May 5, 2005

[ASK] me about OS/2 Warp

echinopsis posted:

cool. just checked and hydrasynth is 12v at 1amp

I presume that makes it very easy to use a car battery lol

yeah anything you have that takes 12v can run off a motorcycle, lawnmower or car battery and for like five bucks you can get a little board that takes 12v down to USB at a couple amps for stuff that likes that

echinopsis
Apr 13, 2004

by Fluffdaddy
perfect. thanks.

now normal bar batteries aren’t designed to be drained right? like, I imagine there are practical considerations to be taken into account as far as using this kind of thing more than once, including charging. deep cycle something?

Jonny 290
May 5, 2005

[ASK] me about OS/2 Warp
yeah a deep cycle type battery is best if you want more than like 20 recharges out of it

echinopsis
Apr 13, 2004

by Fluffdaddy
this has opened up a decent can of worms lol. apparently electric wheelchair batteries are a decent go to.

but this is not a new idea so there's plenty of stuff out there that's going to keep me entertaining thinking about

thanks for helping getting me started though

Dukes Mayo Clinic
Aug 31, 2009
I’ve been on a small tear lately trying to shoehorn old-timey fiddle and banjo tunes into cooperation with dance beats.

https://soundcloud.app.goo.gl/xuPniLBYfsM19QW38

it… works but I can’t shake the feeling I’m making tunes for an extremely niche audience who can tolerate both fiddle screeching and endless bootsnpants.

Achmed Jones
Oct 16, 2004

echi check out the lifepo batteries. a bit more expensive but easier to move around than car batteries and marine batteries and stuff

Zam Wesell
Mar 22, 2009

[Zam is suddenly shot in the neck by a toxic dart; Anakin and Obi-Wan see a "rocket-man" take off and fly away, and Zam dies]
Ceephax the legend is back with another video:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=vpvUzUQKOqU

toiletbrush
May 17, 2010
some extremely grotty sounding synths from Italy
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=FZ-sVujDlS8

Tayter Swift
Nov 18, 2002

Pillbug
oberon is my favorite moon name, ever since it was a title deed in that solarquest board game from the 80s

love that name

im_sorry
Jan 15, 2006

(9999)
Ultra Carp
I decided to try dicking around with a 16 step loop on the Beatstep Pro and some software synths, and run the whole thing through Mishby. I think it turned out OK.
https://soundcloud.com/the_door_is_scary/synth-jam-01

echinopsis
Apr 13, 2004

by Fluffdaddy
wasn’t until i started using this hydrasynth how important keytracking is on a filter and now that aware of it, I can’t believe that some synths don’t do it. it’s so fundamental to making the sound you want

because each voice has its own filter, it means at 100% keytracked that the filter makes sure the sound is the same for each tone except obviously at a different pitch

or at 0% means for quite different sound across the keyboard

or finding the sweet cutoff for lower notes then adjusting the keytracking for higher notes and then the whole keyboard sounds good

not that I think anyone here doesn’t know this. I had known of keytracking on the filter before but never really clicked that it’s so important

anyway god drat I love this synth. i’m tempted to do a video all about what I love about it and what id change. surely exactly no one cares what I think so it’s perfect.

Achmed Jones
Oct 16, 2004

i've never heard of keytracking until now. post all the dumbass remedial poo poo because all i know is from the dan friedman videos and ducking around

echinopsis
Apr 13, 2004

by Fluffdaddy
i tested it to work out exactly what it does and basically it’s like the cutoff frequency follows the note on the keyboard, so go up an octave and the filter cutoff has doubled.

if you think of a saw wave broken down with a fourier transform, you’ll see a principle frequency and then going up the harmonics you’re getting increasingly decreasing additions to the principle, this is the sound of the saw wave, and going up and down in frequency doesn’t change these relationships

and so keytracking means the same thing with the filter, it means the oscillator plus filter has an output and if you looked at the fourier transform you’d see it doesn’t change as it goes up.

if there is no keytracking, it means the fourier transform does change as the pitch changes.

ones not superior, but now having used keytracking it feels as fundamental to the filter working as expected as cutoff does

anyway onto my busking idea… the idea is that I make songs but part of playing the song live is started out with INIT and going down a practiced path toward making something that sounds good, but with all the intermediate sound construction as part of the live act
so obviously it’s done in a way to be interesting to the listener. hopefully

i sold my novation circuit and novation bass station II and god drat it because they’d so succcesflt give me what i need to be able to make complete musical pieces .

I’ve been uncertain about adding drums. instead rely purely
oh the ryhtym from an LFO doing something or the arpegiator

the aroegiator is probably the weakest part of the hydrasynth. i dreamed last night that hydrasynth II has a sequencer 🤯😳

Woolwich Bagnet
Apr 27, 2003

Finally had some time off work last week and had always wanted to try out some music notation software. I always have random phrases running through my head and was able to build this off of one that popped in to my head last week. Now I need to get a midi controller as it turns out this is a lot of fun and a good creative outlet.

This was completely composed off of 'what sounds right.' Sent it to a friend and he asked me if I was making a new Castlevania game

https://soundcloud.com/polterchair/first-song

Now I'm working on a waltz

Woolwich Bagnet fucked around with this message at 02:37 on Sep 3, 2021

Stringent
Dec 22, 2004

image text goes here

Minnesota Mixup posted:

Finally had some time off work last week and had always wanted to try out some music notation software. I always have random phrases running through my head and was able to build this off of one that popped in to my head last week. Now I need to get a midi controller as it turns out this is a lot of fun and a good creative outlet.

This was completely composed off of 'what sounds right.' Sent it to a friend and he asked me if I was making a new Castlevania game

https://soundcloud.com/user-87616560/first-song

Now I'm working on a waltz

you don't have any musical experience beyond this?

Woolwich Bagnet
Apr 27, 2003

Stringent posted:

you don't have any musical experience beyond this?

I played trumpet through high school so uhh, 18 years ago, which is why I can at least read music. I couldn't tell you what sharps or flats are in a key, but I could start with the first note and very easily figure it out based on how it sounds.

Stringent
Dec 22, 2004

image text goes here

Minnesota Mixup posted:

I played trumpet through high school so uhh, 18 years ago, which is why I can at least read music. I couldn't tell you what sharps or flats are in a key, but I could start with the first note and very easily figure it out based on how it sounds.

if that's the extent of your musical experience then that piece is very impressive. i hate the t-word in general, but if that's really just you banging around in software with whatever sounds right then you've probably got some talent. if piano lessons were a thing you could reasonably do you'd probably get a lot out of them in a pretty short amount of time.

echinopsis
Apr 13, 2004

by Fluffdaddy
oh so that’s why you haven’t said i’m talented. glad that’s cleared up

Kazinsal
Dec 13, 2011

so I bought a mesa boogie

it’s a Mark V:35 and it is the most powerful sounding little amp I’ve ever played. the moment I dialed in a John Petrucci tone and started badly playing some dream theater I just felt like I had won the goddamn lottery

I don’t have a cab for it yet so I’m playing through my headphones via the built in cabclone IR and it still sounds really good. bottom end isn’t as tight as a proper recto cab but it’s still so drat good

extremely glad I saved up to buy this thing.

Stringent
Dec 22, 2004

image text goes here

echinopsis posted:

oh so that’s why you haven’t said i’m talented. glad that’s cleared up

talent hits a target no one else can hit, genius hits a target no one else can see.

i'd classify you more in the latter category.

echinopsis
Apr 13, 2004

by Fluffdaddy

Kazinsal posted:

so I bought a mesa boogie

it’s a Mark V:35 and it is the most powerful sounding little amp I’ve ever played. the moment I dialed in a John Petrucci tone and started badly playing some dream theater I just felt like I had won the goddamn lottery

I don’t have a cab for it yet so I’m playing through my headphones via the built in cabclone IR and it still sounds really good. bottom end isn’t as tight as a proper recto cab but it’s still so drat good

extremely glad I saved up to buy this thing.

i’m so pleased for you man. that’s awesome

Stringent posted:

talent hits a target no one else can hit, genius hits a target no one else can see.

i'd classify you more in the latter category.

I think this is a compliment and if so thank you

but it’s not genius, it’s talentless skill with a large trench coat pretending to be something it isn’t

Stringent
Dec 22, 2004

image text goes here
it's a compliment i liked your stuff

echinopsis
Apr 13, 2004

by Fluffdaddy
thank you, I was only joking earlier and not really fishing but thanks

Woolwich Bagnet
Apr 27, 2003

Stringent posted:

if that's the extent of your musical experience then that piece is very impressive. i hate the t-word in general, but if that's really just you banging around in software with whatever sounds right then you've probably got some talent. if piano lessons were a thing you could reasonably do you'd probably get a lot out of them in a pretty short amount of time.

Thanks, yeah it's a lot of trial and error of just seeing what sounds good to me. I wouldn't mind taking piano lessons at some point as it's a neat instrument. Maybe some day if covid ever dies down and I'm not working so many hours. Otherwise I'm content to just noodle around and throw down whatever pops in to my head and iterate on it.

toiletbrush
May 17, 2010

Achmed Jones posted:

i've never heard of keytracking until now. post all the dumbass remedial poo poo because all i know is from the dan friedman videos and ducking around
echi's post covers the traditional use of it, but you can also use it to add microtonal/hosed up and broken scales to synths/sequencers that don't otherwise support them, if your synth has a pitch modulation input.

If you assign positive keytracking to the pitch modulation you 'stretch' your scale so going up one note on the keyboard takes you up three or four semitones etc in pitch. Negative modulation compresses it down so going down one note on the keyboard only takes you down, say, half a semitone in pitch, or maybe the whole keyboard only takes you up/down one octave etc.

Depending how the synth maps the modulation you won't get a 'proper' scale because the maths doesn't even almost work out correctly, but you can still get some lovely detuned effects.

echinopsis
Apr 13, 2004

by Fluffdaddy
lil thing I love about the FM "mutators" in this synth is that they have both a "depth" value (which all other FM stuff does), but also a wet/dry mix value, which I don't think I've seen before, and which makes a lot of sense.

I thing I can't find though is a key-off trigger for the envelopes. you can have all manner of things trigger an envelope either instead of or as well as the note being played, including having an LFO trigger it, but not key-off.. I'd love to add a wee increasing vibrato to a note but only once finger off key. increasing while it dies off

toiletbrush
May 17, 2010
just set the fm-depth to 'wobbly' but then have an envelope with no attack, a full sustain and whatever release you want and then use that as a negative modulation on the fm-depth, so while the key is down it basically removes the wobble but then it slowly comes back when the env goes into the release stage

Olivil
Jul 15, 2010

Wow I'd like to be as smart as a computer
Welp, caved in and ordered a Rickenbacker 660 12 string guitar.
Now I just got to wait "12 to 18 months" for it to be delivered.

Tayter Swift
Nov 18, 2002

Pillbug
i bought myself a yamaha reface cp for my birthday because i love that rhodes sound

but now i'm already craving a lightweight violin bass :/

Kernel Sanders
Sep 15, 2020

Goosey Lee posted:

niche audience who can tolerate both fiddle screeching and endless bootsnpants.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=X5VMAE2p_eQ

poland is what, 50 million people?

echinopsis
Apr 13, 2004

by Fluffdaddy

toiletbrush posted:

just set the fm-depth to 'wobbly' but then have an envelope with no attack, a full sustain and whatever release you want and then use that as a negative modulation on the fm-depth, so while the key is down it basically removes the wobble but then it slowly comes back when the env goes into the release stage

genius.. thanks

Woolwich Bagnet
Apr 27, 2003

Finished my waltz

https://soundcloud.com/polterchair/waltz

Because i hate money and this is a lot of fun I ordered a komplete kontrol S49 to make things a bit easier for modulation and playing chords etc. Now I need to figure out where to put it. Time to play around with more drums and whatnot

Woolwich Bagnet
Apr 27, 2003

And because I had time today I wrote another, this time with some drums and a dizi which was a lot of fun

https://soundcloud.com/polterchair/dizi-fun

echinopsis
Apr 13, 2004

by Fluffdaddy
mate that last one there really sounds like the soundtrack to something. not amateur at all.

I’m feeling more and more gutted I got rid of my circuit, not realising it would be so good as a sequencer for something else and not just a drum machine. oh well. the biggest problem with new zealand is the second hand market is relatively tiny. often there is nothing worthwhile 😢 oh well keep saving

Zaxxon
Feb 14, 2004

Wir Tanzen Mekanik

Minnesota Mixup posted:

And because I had time today I wrote another, this time with some drums and a dizi which was a lot of fun

https://soundcloud.com/user-87616560/dizi-fun

what are you using for the sounds?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

echinopsis
Apr 13, 2004

by Fluffdaddy
https://twitter.com/rodtronics/status/1432307134184628231?s=20

this is just a short performance not a whole song.

https://twitter.com/rodtronics/status/1432333914652102662?s=20

and this is sort of just playing

echinopsis fucked around with this message at 14:27 on Aug 30, 2021