Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.
Who Killed WCW?
Eric Bischoff
Hulk Hogan
Vince Russo
Jerusalem
View Results

edogawa rando
Mar 20, 2007

How much time was there between Bash at the Beach 96 and the Not Mortal Kombat stuff?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

TheKingslayer
Sep 3, 2008

edogawa rando posted:

How much time was there between Bash at the Beach 96 and the Not Mortal Kombat stuff?

Like, five months or something like that? They had been hyping Glacier and Blood Runs Cold for months.

El Gallinero Gros
Mar 17, 2010

Nick Jr. Face posted:

This is the baseball highlights theme though.

The Pearl Jam ripoff was generic jobber music until Jericho turned heel and made it his own.

WCW recycled themes sometimes, the theme that the Hollywood Blondes used was also later used by Greg Valentine and Marty Jannetty, plus Austin post split.

Edge & Christian
May 20, 2001

Earth-1145 is truly the best!
A world of singing, magic frogs,
high adventure, no shitposters

edogawa rando posted:

Timeline as best as I can tell:
May 27, 1996: Scott Hall debuts on Nitro.
June 10, 1996: Kevin Nash debuts on Nitro.
June 17, 1996: The first BLOOD RUNS COLD promo airs
July 7, 1996: Bash at the Beach, Hulk Hogan turns heel, NWO forms
August 22, 1996: Glacier debuts at a WCW Pro taping
September 16, 1996: Glacier debuts on Nitro

So technically it started getting hyped before Bash at the Beach, but Glacier debuted on Nitro a couple of months after BATB

LividLiquid
Apr 13, 2002

El Gallinero Gros posted:

WCW recycled themes sometimes, the theme that the Hollywood Blondes used was also later used by Greg Valentine and Marty Jannetty, plus Austin post split.
Mongo's music became Hak's theme. Expecting Mongo and then getting Sandman was a nice surprise.

DMorbid
Jan 6, 2011

Hello! I see you.

Goldberg's theme was originally Pat Tanaka's, wasn't it?

TheKingslayer
Sep 3, 2008

Psicosis had a banger of a theme.

Lid
Feb 18, 2005

And the mercy seat is awaiting,
And I think my head is burning,
And in a way I'm yearning,
To be done with all this measuring of proof.
An eye for an eye
And a tooth for a tooth,
And anyway I told the truth,
And I'm not afraid to die.
Mortis' theme is straight out of Castlevania or Yngwie Malmsteen

Dawgstar
Jul 15, 2017

I unironically love Doom's entrance theme, although that's probably a bit too early. I wouldn't be surprised if it popped up in some random place after Ron left WCW, though.

Lid
Feb 18, 2005

And the mercy seat is awaiting,
And I think my head is burning,
And in a way I'm yearning,
To be done with all this measuring of proof.
An eye for an eye
And a tooth for a tooth,
And anyway I told the truth,
And I'm not afraid to die.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ewAi27WLTLc

LividLiquid
Apr 13, 2002

Lid posted:

Mortis' theme is straight out of Castlevania or Yngwie Malmsteen
It's a piece of classical music, isn't it? Just gussied up?

FUCKFACE MORON
Apr 23, 2010

by sebmojo

Dawgstar posted:

I unironically love Doom's entrance theme
same

Zombie Lemur
Jul 6, 2009

Empyrean empties

LividLiquid posted:

It's a piece of classical music, isn't it? Just gussied up?

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=o3aI7Oo3GMo

TheKingslayer
Sep 3, 2008

It's great that Mongo was the correct Horseman that realized Jarrett sucked poo poo in '97

Kosmo Gallion
Sep 13, 2013
There's a generic piece of stock music called Short But Thick that was given to a couple of "dark" wrestlers in WCW. Raven used it before going to no theme then his famous Come As You Are rip-off, as well as Vampiro. I'm sure it was used by Dungeon of Doom too.

Halloween Jack
Sep 12, 2003
I WILL CUT OFF BOTH OF MY ARMS BEFORE I VOTE FOR ANYONE THAT IS MORE POPULAR THAN BERNIE!!!!!
The Undertaker's theme was originally used by Chopin, at his funeral.

Pope Corky the IX
Dec 18, 2006

What are you looking at?
A well-known fan of broccoli

collocation
Jun 17, 2018

Edge & Christian posted:

Timeline as best as I can tell:
May 27, 1996: Scott Hall debuts on Nitro.
June 10, 1996: Kevin Nash debuts on Nitro.
June 17, 1996: The first BLOOD RUNS COLD promo airs
July 7, 1996: Bash at the Beach, Hulk Hogan turns heel, NWO forms
August 22, 1996: Glacier debuts at a WCW Pro taping
September 16, 1996: Glacier debuts on Nitro

So technically it started getting hyped before Bash at the Beach, but Glacier debuted on Nitro a couple of months after BATB

The vignettes started in April 96. I remember fans thinking it could be for Nash and/or Hall.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Glacier_(wrestler)#Blood_Runs_Cold_(1996%E2%80%931998)

TheKingslayer
Sep 3, 2008

Getting to see more episodes of WCW Saturday Night and every time they put a mic in front of Duggan he's calling out the nWo like he's trying to will a feud into existence but I swear I don't remember him interacting with them practically ever.

MassRafTer
May 26, 2001

BAEST MODE!!!

TheKingslayer posted:

Getting to see more episodes of WCW Saturday Night and every time they put a mic in front of Duggan he's calling out the nWo like he's trying to will a feud into existence but I swear I don't remember him interacting with them practically ever.

Norman Smiley cuts a promo on Saturday Night in like December of 97 offering to have Sting's back if he needs him.

Dawgstar
Jul 15, 2017

TheKingslayer posted:

Yeah, I think that was probably a "talk about the NWO like they're Homer's suggestions about Poochie" directive.

sean_bateman
Feb 27, 2012

glug.gif

this would get over INSTANTLY today. 15,000 singing along

sean_bateman fucked around with this message at 15:08 on Aug 28, 2021

Jonny Nox
Apr 26, 2008

JOHN TENTA WAS GOLGA!???!!!!!

smikey
May 22, 2004
It's not a hootenanny, it's an extravsganza!

Jonny Nox posted:

JOHN TENTA WAS GOLGA!???!!!!!

Hell yeah he was, you needed someone that could work in that group.

DeathChicken
Jul 9, 2012

Nonsense. I have not yet begun to defile myself.

There was a funny moment when he lost his mask during a match and the crowd exploded into an Earthquake chant

Which, y'know...in a logical company someone would probably go "Hey Earthquake is still really over, maybe he should just be Earthquake"

Jonny Nox
Apr 26, 2008

That's so cool.

Luigi Thirty
Apr 30, 2006

Emergency confection port.

Tato posted:

This folder is full of neat advertising stuff

https://twitter.com/RefereeRobPage/status/1425272768963260417?s=20

I honestly can't remember if I ever saw an episode of WCW {PRO} wrestling or knew it existed, was watching Livewire instead I reckon

I'm still kicking myself for not buying the early 2001 press kit (with DVD!) that was up for auction at a convention I was at

NikkolasKing
Apr 3, 2010

So, just reflecting on how great Scott Hall was, and I know I've asked about this before, but couldn't he have been the biggest star of the Kliq if he just had more ambition and kept his poo poo together? Apart from Nash he had the best look, 10/10 unforgettably great, amazing mic skills, charisma for days, could go in the ring....

But he never seemed to want to be a Top Guy like Nash, Shawn and Hunter. Their egos drove them to grab as many titles as they could. Hall seemed content with just making a lot of money. But he was so great, and the 90s was still a big man's business, he could have been a World Champ a billion times over compared to any of Kliq bros. If I ran a promotion, he would have been my choice for Superstar of the Future of all of them.

Shaman Tank Spec
Dec 26, 2003

*blep*

collocation posted:

The vignettes started in April 96. I remember fans thinking it could be for Nash and/or Hall.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Glacier_(wrestler)#Blood_Runs_Cold_(1996%E2%80%931998)

"He was fictionally profiled in the October 1996 issue of WCW Magazine as having traveled to Japan to study a fighting style that combined martial arts and pro wrestling maneuvers, with a 400-year-old helmet passed down to him by his master instructor, David Stater."

Yeah. You know what? That all makes perfect 100% sense. Why wouldn't "David Stater" be the master of some ancient Japanese pro wrestling martial art and own a 400 year old magic helmet?

DJExile
Jun 28, 2007

NikkolasKing posted:

So, just reflecting on how great Scott Hall was, and I know I've asked about this before, but couldn't he have been the biggest star of the Kliq if he just had more ambition and kept his poo poo together? Apart from Nash he had the best look, 10/10 unforgettably great, amazing mic skills, charisma for days, could go in the ring....

But he never seemed to want to be a Top Guy like Nash, Shawn and Hunter. Their egos drove them to grab as many titles as they could. Hall seemed content with just making a lot of money. But he was so great, and the 90s was still a big man's business, he could have been a World Champ a billion times over compared to any of Kliq bros. If I ran a promotion, he would have been my choice for Superstar of the Future of all of them.

Scott Hall is absolutely one of those guys who could have been on top of the world if not for his demons. His strikes always looked great, he was awesome on the mic, sold beautifully too. I remember one writer saying he'd turn the ring into an inflatable bouncy castle when he ate the stunner.

Eat My Fuc
May 29, 2007

collocation posted:

"His rematch with Mortis at Slamboree on May 18 ended in a disqualification after less than two minutes when Wrath attacked him from behind. Mortis and Wrath then had their way with Glacier for several minute"

El Gallinero Gros
Mar 17, 2010

NikkolasKing posted:

I don't think lack of desire was the issue so much as REALLY serious issues. Like, just alcoholism would have been bad enough, but then tack on PTSD, and well...

D.N. Nation
Feb 1, 2012

DJExile posted:

Scott Hall is absolutely one of those guys who could have been on top of the world if not for his demons. His strikes always looked great, he was awesome on the mic, sold beautifully too. I remember one writer saying he'd turn the ring into an inflatable bouncy castle when he ate the stunner.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=BCDpQf2ukmU

Some people don't dig this type of Stunner oversell but for me it's perfect for a jackass heel

Luigi Thirty
Apr 30, 2006

Emergency confection port.

Yeah with Scott’s issues I don’t blame him for wanting to make as much money as possible at the expense of everything else. I wish we got more of him at his peak (and preferably sober) in WCW.

D.N. Nation posted:

Some people don't dig this type of Stunner oversell but for me it's perfect for a jackass heel

Douchebag heels getting sent to the own zone with a Stunner like this is what they were made for!

Ganso Bomb
Oct 24, 2005

turn it all around

D.N. Nation posted:

The video quality is too crappy to tell, but Tim White is covering his mouth in one of those clips after Hall takes the goofy bump and I want to hope he's trying to hide his laughter at how dumb and great it looks.

oldpainless
Oct 30, 2009

This 📆 post brought to you by RAID💥: SHADOW LEGENDS👥.
RAID💥: SHADOW LEGENDS 👥 - It's for your phone📲TM™ #ad📢

Shawn Michaels watched Scott Hall sell that stunner and took it as a personal challenge

DJExile
Jun 28, 2007

Ganso Bomb posted:

The video quality is too crappy to tell, but Tim White is covering his mouth in one of those clips after Hall takes the goofy bump and I want to hope he's trying to hide his laughter at how dumb and great it looks.

he absolutely is laughing, he's leaned over on the rope too. That's a great find lol

remusclaw
Dec 8, 2009

oldpainless posted:

Shawn Michaels watched Scott Hall sell that stunner and took it as a personal challenge

The Hogan Michaels match is one of the biggest story fabricated out of nothing things i have ever seen. Shawn sold for Hogan in that match the same way he sold for Undertaker in matches with him back in the day.

Dawgstar
Jul 15, 2017

DJExile posted:

In the words of Rob Naylor, one of the ways to tell Scott was great was he had great squash matches (or 'wimpy matches' as Naylor calls them).

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

iamsosmrt
Jun 14, 2008

10 year old me's favorite wrestler was Razor Ramon and I generally found his matches on Superstars (the only WWF show I could watch then) to always be a banger, even the squashes.

He just had that physical presence and really lived up to that oozing machismo in the way he interacted with wrestlers.

It blew my mind when I learned he was faking his Latin American gimmick.