Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

theflyingexecutive
Apr 22, 2007

Escobarbarian posted:

I know nobody watched this except for me but Betty got cancelled and I am VERY SAD ABOUT IT

Awwww that was one of the jobs I was most proud to have worked on (S1). Really great crew. Ask me about leaving a party at 3am to shoot half of the Williamsburg Bridge scene at 4 :sludgepal:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Alan Smithee
Jan 4, 2005

A man becomes preeminent, he's expected to have enthusiasms.

Enthusiasms, enthusiasms...
is Money Heist any good

I keep thinking of Money Plane when I hear its unfortunate name

Open Source Idiom
Jan 4, 2013
Watch The Good Fight. :tviv:

Escobarbarian
Jun 18, 2004

Grimey Drawer
I know I don’t need to have watched The Good Wife to appreciate Fight, and that they’re very different in style, but my brain just can’t get over the idea that I need to watch the original show first lol

Mu Zeta
Oct 17, 2002

Me crush ass to dust

I like both shows but Good Wife is better overall because of the variety. I'm happy to just put on a random episode and enjoy it. Good Fight is wackier but much more serialized.

Oasx
Oct 11, 2006

Freshly Squeezed
The Good Wife is a serious Drama. The Good Fight is an outright comedy that slowly gets more and more insane over time.

Cojawfee
May 31, 2006
I think the US is dumb for not using Celsius

Alan Smithee posted:

is Money Heist any good

I keep thinking of Money Plane when I hear its unfortunate name

If it's the Spanish show, then yeah, is pretty good.

zoux
Apr 28, 2006

https://twitter.com/LightsCameraPod/status/1430951656938737670

Didn't he learn how to fly a helicopter for the last one? This dude loves his craft.

bull3964
Nov 18, 2000

DO YOU HEAR THAT? THAT'S THE SOUND OF ME PATTING MYSELF ON THE BACK.

I am completely convinced "Mission Impossible Movie" will be the eventual cause of his death.

MiddleOne
Feb 17, 2011

It's a god-given miracle that man hasn't killed himself by accident for over a decade running. Literally Cage's character from Ghostrider.

zoux
Apr 28, 2006

It's also an advantage, not having to cut away to a weird angle for the stunt double really does add something to the scene. Him hanging on the outside of a plane during a long tracking shot was loving badass, and it wouldn't have been nearly as cool if it was greenscreened or if it was closeups of his face in a wind tunnel cut with long shots of a stunt man doing it. So, while I'm sure he's doing it partially out of ego and thrill-seeking, it does benefit the production.

GreenNight
Feb 19, 2006
Turning the light on the darkest places, you and I know we got to face this now. We got to face this now.

He's also really the only top star that does these things.

Big Mean Jerk
Jan 27, 2009

Well, of course I know him.
He's me.

zoux posted:

It's also an advantage, not having to cut away to a weird angle for the stunt double really does add something to the scene. Him hanging on the outside of a plane during a long tracking shot was loving badass, and it wouldn't have been nearly as cool if it was greenscreened or if it was closeups of his face in a wind tunnel cut with long shots of a stunt man doing it. So, while I'm sure he's doing it partially out of ego and thrill-seeking, it does benefit the production.

It benefits the production... until he injures himself in the process and they have to shut down for a month or so while their lead star recovers and the budget inflates because of delays.

Unless you’re peak-90s Jackie Chan or some other legit martial artist and/or stuntman there’s no reason for some a-list celebrity to do this poo poo other than to stroke a massive ego. Stuntmen exist for a reason and they know how to do these things (relatively) safely.

GreenNight
Feb 19, 2006
Turning the light on the darkest places, you and I know we got to face this now. We got to face this now.

gently caress that. He pays for the insurance out of his own pocket. He paid for the crew when the movie was closed down during covid. He can do whatever he wants concerning stunts.

Azhais
Feb 5, 2007
Switchblade Switcharoo
Besides, he's protected by the power of Scientology, what could happen to him

Arist
Feb 13, 2012

who, me?

I'm not going to say it doesn't add anything, because it absolutely does. At the same time though, it strikes me as more than a bit selfish and not actually worth it.

Cojawfee
May 31, 2006
I think the US is dumb for not using Celsius
What is that even going to be in the movie? The villain has a big motorcycle ramp set up just in case and he uses it to escape?

X-O
Apr 28, 2002

Long Live The King!

Cojawfee posted:

What is that even going to be in the movie? The villain has a big motorcycle ramp set up just in case and he uses it to escape?

I'm sure it will just be turned into a cliff through the magic and wonder of cinema.

zoux
Apr 28, 2006

https://twitter.com/dhmontgomery/status/1431031491530743809

That's cool, the second age is the best; the first age is weird, we know enough about the third age and I guess not being able to reference things that happen in the third age is only a problem in the audience easter egg sense. I mean, all the rings get forged in the Second Age, Numenor rises and falls, all the main elfs except Legolas are around, seems fine to me.

Edward Mass
Sep 14, 2011

𝅘𝅥𝅮 I wanna go home with the armadillo
Good country music from Amarillo and Abilene
Friendliest people and the prettiest women you've ever seen
𝅘𝅥𝅮
OK, Stephen Colbert.

Timby
Dec 23, 2006

Your mother!

zoux posted:

Didn't he learn how to fly a helicopter for the last one? This dude loves his craft.

He had production of Top Gun: Maverick shut down because he wanted to actually learn how to fly the fighter jet.

Open Source Idiom
Jan 4, 2013
The Other Two is back this week. Second episode got me in the feels. Good show.

zoux posted:

https://twitter.com/dhmontgomery/status/1431031491530743809

That's cool, the second age is the best; the first age is weird, we know enough about the third age and I guess not being able to reference things that happen in the third age is only a problem in the audience easter egg sense. I mean, all the rings get forged in the Second Age, Numenor rises and falls, all the main elfs except Legolas are around, seems fine to me.

LOL at them moving production of the second season to the UK, after everything New Zealand did for the franchise.

Escobarbarian
Jun 18, 2004

Grimey Drawer

Open Source Idiom posted:

The Other Two is back this week. Second episode got me in the feels. Good show.

Big fan of the first two episodes.

Ugly In The Morning
Jul 1, 2010
Pillbug

zoux posted:

This is a big part of why the John Wick movies are so good. There’s no way the mirror fight in 2 could have been done with a stuntman.

Looten Plunder
Jul 11, 2006
Grimey Drawer

Arist posted:

I'm not going to say it doesn't add anything, because it absolutely does. At the same time though, it strikes me as more than a bit selfish and not actually worth it.

These movies wouldn't exist if it wasn't for Tom doing his thing. It makes the movies completely unique so I'd say it's very much worth it.

Selfish? I guess. But he basically pays for it out of his own pocket. It's no less selfish than some auteur director demanding 100 takes of every scene, demanding that the prop department source authentic fabrics from the plains of Argentina for the costumes or demanding they shoot x scene on location instead of the perfectly suitable studio backlot.

Looten Plunder
Jul 11, 2006
Grimey Drawer
I've had the "Greasy Fry Bread" song stuck in my head all week.

EL BROMANCE
Jun 10, 2006

COWABUNGA DUDES!
🥷🐢😬

Escobarbarian posted:

Big fan of the first two episodes.

Yep, it’s come back strong for sure.

Everything involving Blake Lively’s restaurant was hilarious.

MiddleOne
Feb 17, 2011

Big Mean Jerk posted:

It benefits the production... until he injures himself in the process and they have to shut down for a month or so while their lead star recovers and the budget inflates because of delays.

Unless you’re peak-90s Jackie Chan or some other legit martial artist and/or stuntman there’s no reason for some a-list celebrity to do this poo poo other than to stroke a massive ego. Stuntmen exist for a reason and they know how to do these things (relatively) safely.

To add to this, unlike Stuntmen (who are generally at the peak of their physical condition) Cruise is old. Any injury is potentially one he'll never recover from.

DrVenkman
Dec 28, 2005

I think he can hear you, Ray.
Frankly the movies need more Cruise wackiness than just pasting someone's face over a stuntman on a green screen set.

For real though Cruise is smart enough to see that something he legitimately enjoys doing and has pretty much always done has now become a big selling point for his movies.

VagueRant
May 24, 2012
I simply don't care if Tom Cruise gets injured or dies because Tom Cruise has slaves serving him in his cult.

So yeah man, give us some cool shots when you strap yourself to a rocket or whatever, go hog wild, ride that poo poo straight to hell.

DrVenkman
Dec 28, 2005

I think he can hear you, Ray.

VagueRant posted:

I simply don't care if Tom Cruise gets injured or dies because Tom Cruise has slaves serving him in his cult.

So yeah man, give us some cool shots when you strap yourself to a rocket or whatever, go hog wild, ride that poo poo straight to hell.

Yeah man, you fight that good fight.

Cactus
Jun 24, 2006

DrVenkman posted:

Yeah man, you fight that good fight.

Does having finished The Good Wife add anything to this show or can I just jump right in and not lose out on anything?

SimonChris
Apr 24, 2008

The Baron's daughter is missing, and you are the man to find her. No problem. With your inexhaustible arsenal of hard-boiled similes, there is nothing you can't handle.
Grimey Drawer

MiddleOne posted:

To add to this, unlike Stuntmen (who are generally at the peak of their physical condition) Cruise is old. Any injury is potentially one he'll never recover from.

Keep in mind that Tom Cruise is an Operating Thetan with complete conscious control of matter and energy, so he is not really taking any risks. He can just levitate away if something goes wrong.

CeeJee
Dec 4, 2001
Oven Wrangler

SimonChris posted:

Keep in mind that Tom Cruise is an Operating Thetan with complete conscious control of matter and energy, so he is not really taking any risks. He can just levitate away if something goes wrong.

As seen here.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=GWmJUAVuhPY

Open Source Idiom
Jan 4, 2013

Cactus posted:

Does having finished The Good Wife add anything to this show or can I just jump right in and not lose out on anything?

It adds some marginal elements -- half the show's regulars started out as guests or regulars on The Good Fight, particularly in the last season or two -- but there's very little continuity.

Just a warning, The Good Fight doesn't quite come into its own, as a show, until the second season. The first season is good, but it's basically more of The Good Wife. You don't get the Trump ballerinas or Jeffery Epstein's severed penis until later.

I swear, something broke in Robert and Michelle King's brain when they made BrainDead, and it was for the better. Every show they've written since that show was cancelled -- Evil, The Good Fight Season 2+, The Bite -- has been utterly bananas and so much better for it.

Cactus
Jun 24, 2006

I'm in the mood for more bananas after cherry flavour.

Ed. That's a drat good sentence that I'm glad I'm able to say about TV shows.

Toxic Fart Syndrome
Jul 2, 2006

*hits A-THREAD-5*

Only 3.6 Roentgoons per hour ... not great, not terrible.

...the meter only goes to 3.6...

Pork Pro
It should also be noted that Cruise doing his own stunts is “good for the production” because it means they don’t have to pay stunt doubles and it’s actually kind of lovely for Cruise to be stealing their work.

:shrug:

zoux
Apr 28, 2006

Toxic Fart Syndrome posted:

It should also be noted that Cruise doing his own stunts is “good for the production” because it means they don’t have to pay stunt doubles and it’s actually kind of lovely for Cruise to be stealing their work.

Oh please

CAPTAIN CAPSLOCK
Sep 11, 2001

:thunk:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Hakkesshu
Nov 4, 2009

I assure you those movies have massive stunt teams with or without Cruise doing his own stunts himself you dingus