Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

FAUXTON
Jun 2, 2005

spero che tu stia bene

Chronojam posted:

It was Anti Plane ammo all along!? Sold!

It's also anti panzer

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Grondoth
Feb 18, 2011
People are STILL mad at jets after BF4? Man

Alkydere
Jun 7, 2010
Capitol: A building or complex of buildings in which any legislature meets.
Capital: A city designated as a legislative seat by the government or some other authority, often the city in which the government is located; otherwise the most important city within a country or a subdivision of it.

I just remember in BF2 seeing videos of people who just did backflips over their airfield, lobbing their bombloads into the sky because they knew the right angles to hit to make bombs shower down onto busy areas. Like some hosed up combination of the Blue Angels mixed with an Artillery battery.

I also remember reports in 2142 of gunship pilots would test each other out at first but if both team's pilots were good enough they'd just basically declare a non-aggression pact and hunt ground targets and transports because a good pilot was just that much of a pain to shoot down.

On the other hand one of my favorite moments in BF2 that I still cherish was actually shooting down a BF2 jet as it came in low over an airfield while I was riding in some tank's MG passenger slot.

Kibayasu
Mar 28, 2010

Grondoth posted:

People are STILL mad at jets after BF4? Man

BF4? More like BF2.

And yes we are.

Yami Fenrir
Jan 25, 2015

Is it I that is insane... or the rest of the world?
Hot take:

Jet's don't actually add anything to the game.

In most cases they're just the cause of randomly getting killed on the ground with very little you can do about it.

When they don't just play their own game of dogfights far away from anything of value.

Helicopters at least can reliably defend a point. A jet pilot will kill like 3 people, have to gently caress off due to momentum alone, and by the time they're back they all got rezzed anyway.

FAUXTON
Jun 2, 2005

spero che tu stia bene

Alkydere posted:

I just remember in BF2 seeing videos of people who just did backflips over their airfield, lobbing their bombloads into the sky because they knew the right angles to hit to make bombs shower down onto busy areas. Like some hosed up combination of the Blue Angels mixed with an Artillery battery.

FYI this was an actual maneuver taken seriously by the insane cold war brass:

chaleski
Apr 25, 2014

Sgt. Cosgrove posted:

This is why bf1 is the best recent bf

ScootsMcSkirt posted:

make all aircraft vulnerable to small arms fire, especially jets

Yeah this. I actually love pre-modern era BF planes, jets can gently caress off. Having the aircraft susceptible to small arms makes the game more interactive, and using guns and flak is more fun than playing cat and mouse with lock-on missiles

Supaflywallace
Jan 3, 2020
If they added the damaged wing mechanic from BF1 that might be helpful, but like others have said, lock on missiles are dull vs flak

Assepoester
Jul 18, 2004
Probation
Can't post for 10 years!
Melman v2

Nitevision posted:

The pre-nerf Mi-28 in BF2 :corsair: could run the entire map unless the other team had a crew on the Cobra who were better with the TV missile. BF2 also had the bomber jets with TV missiles on the second seat and the huge bomb salvos on the pilot seat. Honestly they should bring that back, popping tanks from 1000ft up with a guided missile was loving cool
BF2 with its incredibly fast jets, bombers with powerful payloads, nearly invincible attack choppers, pilots who could delete anti-air emplacements from outside of the lock-on range, and commander artillery was some sort of insane death is certain fever dream in retrospect.

Desert Combat stingers as super fast proximity detonation airburst rockets remain the best anti-air weapon the battlefield engine ever produced.

Perestroika
Apr 8, 2010

Yeah, I hope there's some sort of direct-fire AA weapon in 2042 to complement the regular old stinger. Dumpstering skylords with the Fliegerfaust in BFV was surprisingly fun, although cautious pilots could generally stay out of its range. Hell, give me that railgun from that one BF4 DLC and I'll be happy.

Angry-Alphs
Feb 24, 2019

The United States posted:

BF2 with its incredibly fast jets, bombers with powerful payloads, nearly invincible attack choppers, pilots who could delete anti-air emplacements from outside of the lock-on range, and commander artillery was some sort of insane death is certain fever dream in retrospect.

Desert Combat stingers as super fast proximity detonation airburst rockets remain the best anti-air weapon the battlefield engine ever produced.

I still fondly remember when they introduced the DC stingers and they one shot infantry.
Every map turned into instagib mode overnight untill they fixed it.

Lube Enthusiast
May 26, 2016

Yami Fenrir posted:

Hot take:

In most cases they're just the cause of randomly getting killed on the ground with very little you can do about it.

When they don't just play their own game of dogfights far away from anything of value.

Helicopters at least can reliably defend a point. A jet pilot will kill like 3 people, have to gently caress off due to momentum alone, and by the time they're back they all got rezzed anyway.

This is my view as well. For me personally i’d prefer if all aircraft in BF was helis/vtol/whatever that would both stay close to the action + could be damaged back by small arms

Dead Like Rev
Sep 6, 2010

"The dead walk among us."

1000% percent in with the sentiment that jets/bombers/planes are just a massive annoyance.

Scrub-Niggurath
Nov 27, 2007

I’ll allow jets in the new game if they also add the unnerfed Fliegerfaust

Shrimp or Shrimps
Feb 14, 2012

Jets but you can only score kills by ejecting out and then firing FutureSMAW in midair before parachuting back into your jet.

Sedisp
Jun 20, 2012

Planes are always poorly balanced. They're either worthless idiot chariots that take away people from the fight or ruinous powers from above that ruin the match as much as a hacker would.

Helicopters are fine.

pro starcraft loser
Jan 23, 2006

Stand back, this could get messy.

I liked when planes had to actually take off via runway because watching a bunch of people fight over a plane only to roll down the runway into one of your mines was amazingly satisfying.

Charles 1998
Sep 27, 2007

by VideoGames

PittTheElder posted:

I especially love it when somebody spawns into a jet instantly on round start, rides it across the map, bails out to camp on top of a building, and the jet slowly sails down to a landing to be captured by the other team.

This is the whole reason the pilot class was created for Battlefield 1.

Beastie
Nov 3, 2006

They used to call me tricky-kid, I lived the life they wish they did.

I thought 1 got the planes right, eventually. Fragile, slow, can easily be swatted out of the sky with an AT round or a squad of LMGs.

I think the only think I remember that was super abusive about the fighters were the lawn darts that seeming kill instantly and refresh by the time you've turned around.

Kibayasu
Mar 28, 2010

Pilot class, though less so with the tanker class, was one of the best ideas DICE ever had so it was of course jettisoned immediately.

Hot Diggity!
Apr 3, 2010

SKELITON_BRINGING_U_ON.GIF
Took them a long time to make the AA stations repairable. A few operations could be made unbeatable if the planes took out the AA.

jisforjosh
Jun 6, 2006

"It's J is for...you know what? Fuck it, jizz it is"

Charles 1998 posted:

This is the whole reason the pilot class was created for Battlefield 1.

This is why I usually run support with a repair tool so if I capture an enemy vehicle, I can use the vehicle self repair

Insert name here
Nov 10, 2009

Oh.
Oh Dear.
:ohdear:

Kibayasu posted:

Pilot class, though less so with the tanker class, was one of the best ideas DICE ever had so it was of course jettisoned immediately.
I both agree and think that people wasting a jet to immediately grab a lovely sniping spot is quintessentially Battlefield and am glad it's back. Sorry, but them's the breaks.

RCarr
Dec 24, 2007

Kibayasu posted:

There was at least one poster in here who was really salty about the pilot class. But yea it was a great addition. I actually loved most of the pilot class weapons to. Double barrel shotgun, the automatic pistol, etc were amazing.

Raskolnikov2089
Nov 3, 2006

Schizzy to the matic

Yami Fenrir posted:

Hot take:

I can see you've never played BF3/BF4.

A skylord with none to oppose them on the other team can easily shut down any and all armor. I know because we used to have our own Skylord who would regularly cleanse the map for us.

Yami Fenrir
Jan 25, 2015

Is it I that is insane... or the rest of the world?

Raskolnikov2089 posted:

I can see you've never played BF3/BF4.

A skylord with none to oppose them on the other team can easily shut down any and all armor. I know because we used to have our own Skylord who would regularly cleanse the map for us.

Actually I almost exclusively played those two games. Not with goons but I did.

Those kind of players aren't in every game.

Either way jets are still terrible and I wish BF2042 didn't have them.

Psion
Dec 13, 2002

eVeN I KnOw wHaT CoRnEr gAs iS
look at all these people who don't remember "slidero in a J-10 vs literally everyone else on the server" in Wake 2007

or maybe you all do remember it :v:

Assepoester
Jul 18, 2004
Probation
Can't post for 10 years!
Melman v2
I mean in BF2 Wake the Americans have to actually make it off the carrier and onto the island, so yeah no way was that happening

jisforjosh
Jun 6, 2006

Chad Activision was able to shred HR reports AND release a competent presentation for COD at Gamescom versus Virgin EA fumbling Battlefield into the dustbin of history

Scrub-Niggurath
Nov 27, 2007

Beastie posted:

I think the only think I remember that was super abusive about the fighters were the lawn darts that seeming kill instantly and refresh by the time you've turned around.

There was a stretch towards the later days of the game where they buffed the Ilya Murmots heavy bomber and it was just absolutely ludicrous. A trillion HP, you could cruise at the flight ceiling out of range of AA guns, and the cluster bombs would carpet half the map and then completely reload by the time you finished turning back around

jisforjosh
Jun 6, 2006

Scrub-Niggurath posted:

There was a stretch towards the later days of the game where they buffed the Ilya Murmots heavy bomber and it was just absolutely ludicrous. A trillion HP, you could cruise at the flight ceiling out of range of AA guns, and the cluster bombs would carpet half the map and then completely reload by the time you finished turning back around

Cluster bombs that absolutely wrecked infantry paired with a massive angle 3D spotting camera to identify all your targets before hand was and still is insane but it's been toned down a bit.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=UwR3r06Lfdg

Trench darts were amazing especially when they would instantly kill other planes.

Grondoth
Feb 18, 2011
The only time jets in a battlefield game have been anything other than WWII planes with gadgets was BF2, every other game they're slow and rely on their gun to do anything.

Man how in the world did people think jets were the problem in 4 when the scout copter existed, jesus

Kibayasu
Mar 28, 2010

Grondoth posted:

The only time jets in a battlefield game have been anything other than WWII planes with gadgets was BF2, every other game they're slow and rely on their gun to do anything.

Man how in the world did people think jets were the problem in 4 when the scout copter existed, jesus

Depends on the map. Take Paracel Storm (or honestly any of the Naval Strike maps but never mind that for now) for example. A side can have upwards of 2 scout helicopters on that map but they’re never going to dominate the map for a few reasons. 1) No cover against infantry launchers. 2) Boat guns, especially the burst gun. 3) Mobile AA spawn if your team has B. 4) Jets.

However someone who’s good with the attack jet will completely lock down the other team. They will have no boats because a good attack jet will kill them in one pass. They will have no planes because the attack jet will kill them both. Unless they got extremely lucky the other team won’t have the MAA because the other team will have gotten to the island with more firepower first.

Scout helicopters can only completely dominate on maps where the only threat is infantry launchers and there’s plenty of cover from them. On those maps it will definitely feel like the scout helicopter is worse than jets but there’s fewer of those maps.

Skyarb
Sep 20, 2018

MMMPH MMMPPHH MPPPH GLUCK GLUCK OH SORRY I DIDNT SEE YOU THERE I WAS JUST CHOKING DOWN THIS BATTLEFIELD COCK DID YOU KNOW BATTLEFIELD IS THE BEST VIDEO GAME EVER NOW IF YOULL EXCUSE ME ILL GO BACK TO THIS BATTLECOCK
Bring back the loving pilum

jisforjosh
Jun 6, 2006

Grondoth posted:

Watch some Silk attack jet gameplay and come back. Also any decent pilot and gunner attack chopper team

Insert name here
Nov 10, 2009

Oh.
Oh Dear.
:ohdear:

Grondoth posted:

The Fighter Jet can't really do too much to the ground so whatever but the Attack Jet* is some serious BF3 levels of "if they're even remotely competent expect them to top the scoreboard". Thankfully a lot of the DLC levels (on Conquest anyway) elected to not have an Attack Jet and instead just have two Fighters so it's mostly a non-issue on those. I just find the whole "they can't touch me and I can't touch them" thing kinda... boring, I guess? Hence why I would much prefer them to be deadly but have it go both ways, even though I'm sure a lot of people wouldn't want that.

Really in BF4 it's the choppers (of both varieties) that cause me the most grief and salt when they're flown by competent pilots. :argh:

*The best part is that the Attack Jet is supposed to be countered by the Fighter Jet but the Attacker has a much better gun and can turn just as well so it shits over everything anyways

Grondoth
Feb 18, 2011
I spent most of my BF4 time in the stealth jet, so I guess I just have a very biased perspective where attack jets were just meat, no matter how good they were, so I had no fear of them cause if they were causing a problem I'd just hop in the jet no one used and blow them up

toggle
Nov 7, 2005

I need new gameplay footage. And i need it now

Assepoester
Jul 18, 2004
Probation
Can't post for 10 years!
Melman v2

jisforjosh posted:

Chad Activision was able to shred HR reports AND release a competent presentation for COD at Gamescom versus Virgin EA fumbling Battlefield into the dustbin of history
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=hUEz9nS9vTE

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Nitevision
Oct 5, 2004

Your Friendly FYAD Helper
Ask Me For FYAD Help
Another Reason To Talk To Me Is To Hangout
Look how beautiful this was. Just you and your copilot hand in hand, living totally in the moment. This is what you gave up when you were like Noooo aircraft can't be allowed to kill me :qq: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=NGn5dzFiews