Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.
(Thread IKs: PIZZA.BAT)

shoeberto
Jun 13, 2020

which way to the MACHINES?
Y'all are way overthinking the Timbler. It's a shitpost from a twitter guy who makes funny photoshops of old video games.

This one is about the Shambler, from Quake, wearing Timberlands. Hence Timbler.

Quake got a remastered release last week by Night Dive Studio. Their in-house engine for porting old games to modern platform is called Kex.

The black guy is the protagonist from Shadow Man, which was a recent release ported to Kex engine. He just called it kek because before the world was brain poisoned that was a way to say lol and it's a reasonable pun on kex.

The twitter guy is named Kino Fabino and his content is wholesome for fans of boomer shooters and I will not have you cynical assholes ruin that for me.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

axolotl farmer
May 17, 2007

Now I'm going to sing the Perry Mason theme

nice

would be even smoother if it spun up and slowed down in a sinus loop. like rotation speed = sin(time) if that makes sense.

Kenny Logins
Jan 11, 2011

EVERY MORNING I WAKE UP AND OPEN PALM SLAM A WHITE WHALE INTO THE PEQUOD. IT'S HELL'S HEART AND RIGHT THEN AND THERE I STRIKE AT THEE ALONGSIDE WITH THE MAIN CHARACTER, ISHMAEL.

shoeberto posted:

Y'all are way overthinking the Timbler. It's a shitpost from a twitter guy who makes funny photoshops of old video games.

Quake got a remastered release last week by Night Dive Studio. Their in-house engine for porting old games to modern platform is called Kex.

The black guy is the protagonist from Shadow Man, which was a recent release ported to Kex engine. He just called it kek because before the world was brain poisoned that was a way to say lol and it's a reasonable pun on kex.

The twitter guy is named Kino Fabino and his content is wholesome for fans of boomer shooters and I will not have you cynical assholes ruin that for me.
death of the author but for image macros

Kenny Logins
Jan 11, 2011

EVERY MORNING I WAKE UP AND OPEN PALM SLAM A WHITE WHALE INTO THE PEQUOD. IT'S HELL'S HEART AND RIGHT THEN AND THERE I STRIKE AT THEE ALONGSIDE WITH THE MAIN CHARACTER, ISHMAEL.
shadowman was a game that had great mood/setting but the gameplay was just barely passable

Chris Knight
Jun 5, 2002

me @ ur posts

Fun Shoe

shoeberto posted:

this meme is not for me

Powerful Two-Hander
Mar 10, 2004

Mods please change my name to "Tooter Skeleton" TIA.

"y'all are overthinking it" I cry as I post thousands of words about how this meme is not in fact racist

I get what you mean though and agree that 4chan ruins everything

PIZZA.BAT
Nov 12, 2016

:cheers:

shoeberto posted:

no one had an issue with the last timbler meme that was posted like a week ago

it's the kek poo poo that was raising everyone's eyebrows, this isn't difficult

shoeberto
Jun 13, 2020

Chris Knight posted:

this meme is not for me
fair!

Powerful Two-Hander posted:

"y'all are overthinking it" I cry as I post thousands of words about how this meme is not in fact racist

I get what you mean though and agree that 4chan ruins everything

Mannnn, yeah, I've seen these posts in a vacuum, where it's all just PC game dorks who still spaz out over games released in 1996. It's so far removed from all this toxic gamer poo poo that's everywhere else. It's my happy place. Don't bring that poo poo into my happy place!

Powerful Two-Hander
Mar 10, 2004

shoeberto posted:

Mannnn, yeah, I've seen these posts in a vacuum, where it's all just PC game dorks who still spaz out over games released in 1996. It's so far removed from all this toxic gamer poo poo that's everywhere else. It's my happy place. Don't bring that poo poo into my happy place!

yeah it's a bit like how internet racists ruined Matt furie's life by making his cartoons an emblem of antisemitism or whatever it was

basically, the internet is a terrible cesspool and it's probably pretty lucky I only ever really went on SA and we all grew out of the "ironic X" phase and largely the avoided brain worms

I mean that's also because we got old irl

PIZZA.BAT
Nov 12, 2016

:cheers:

the difference is pepe was originally wholesome while kek was toxic chud garbage from the getgo

shoeberto
Jun 13, 2020

PIZZA.BAT posted:

the difference is pepe was originally wholesome while kek was toxic chud garbage from the getgo

No, it came from WoW. They filtered language in the game's chat so that the two factions of the game couldn't directly communicate. "lol" became "kek". It was fine for years until 4chan shitheads did the same poo poo they did to Pepe.

shoeberto
Jun 13, 2020

https://wowwiki-archive.fandom.com/wiki/Kek

Powerful Two-Hander
Mar 10, 2004

I thought it was from StarCraft: "GG zerg rush kekekeke"

e: why do I know that oh wait because I've been on these forums for 17 years omg

Vintersorg
Mar 3, 2004

President of
the Brendan Fraser
Fan Club

wasn't it some old racist thing about koreans or some poo poo

"ke ke la" i remember being said on the forums a lot

Fanged Lawn Wormy
Jan 4, 2008

SQUEAK! SQUEAK! SQUEAK!

Fanged Lawn Wormy fucked around with this message at 14:56 on Aug 27, 2021

jesus WEP
Oct 17, 2004

Kenny Logins posted:

shadowman was a game that had great mood/setting but the gameplay was just barely passable
all timer box art tho

jesus WEP
Oct 17, 2004

insanely badass

axolotl farmer
May 17, 2007

Now I'm going to sing the Perry Mason theme

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=GhPi2EIyHj4

Radio Paranoia
Jun 27, 2010

It is now safe to turn off your computer.
there was a competition where you had to name your baby shadowman

alexandriao
Jul 20, 2019

shoeberto posted:

PC game dorks who still spaz out over

:yikes:

Radio Paranoia
Jun 27, 2010

It is now safe to turn off your computer.
no wait, it was name your baby "Turok"

put "Shadowman" on your grave, lol

https://www.theguardian.com/technology/2002/mar/15/games.advertising

AnimeIsTrash
Jun 30, 2018

Kenny Logins
Jan 11, 2011

jesus WEP posted:

insanely badass
i remember when most nerd things (rpg books, etc) were saturated with unnerving photomanipulated art. good times.

aesthetically everything about shadowman was pretty great and the reason it sticks with me today. the talking irish snake with a human skull wearing a "jaunty" tophat didn't hurt either

Achmed Jones
Oct 16, 2004

Kenny Logins posted:

the talking irish snake with a human skull wearing a "jaunty" tophat didn't hurt either

go on...

Kenny Logins
Jan 11, 2011

his name was jaunty! and he sounded pretty good for being on a n64 cartridge

https://youtu.be/B560lCn5kGU

Sagebrush
Feb 26, 2012

It's only a bad word if you live on knifecrime island. Nobody in the real world cares

mystes
May 31, 2006

Sagebrush posted:

It's only a bad word if you live on knifecrime island. Nobody in the real world cares
I'm not sure this is the best approach to offensive words on the internet.

syntaxrigger
Jul 7, 2011

Actually you owe me 6! But who's countin?

Kenny Logins posted:

i remember when most nerd things (rpg books, etc) were saturated with unnerving photomanipulated art. good times.

aesthetically everything about shadowman was pretty great and the reason it sticks with me today. the talking irish snake with a human skull wearing a "jaunty" tophat didn't hurt either

I have shadowman for the dreamcast and can confirm it was pretty fun. I loved the aesthetic and I felt the "dungeons" you had to go through were actually sort of a fresh take on the Zelda N64 dungeon diving.

Shadowman 2 was hot garbage tho :(

shoeberto
Jun 13, 2020

Sagebrush posted:

I'm not saying my knowledge of commonly used words with horrifically offensive origins is perfect, but this would be the first that I have heard of that being considered a slur.

mystes
May 31, 2006

I think it's like the r word but maybe even worse in British English.

shoeberto
Jun 13, 2020

Would seem so:
https://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/Spastic
I grew up in the US where I never actually heard it used in relation to palsy. It has always been "over-excited weird nerd". I'll probably be more careful about that going forward, but that's the intent with which I used it in that post.

jesus WEP
Oct 17, 2004

quote:

In 1994…the Spastics Society changed its name to Scope. However, UK schoolchildren allegedly developed a derogatory adaptation of the Spastic Society's new name, "scoper".[8]
:cripes: i had no idea that’s where scoper came from

FMguru
Sep 10, 2003

peed on;
sexually
"mong" is another colorful british insult that covers much the same territory

jesus WEP
Oct 17, 2004

brits are the undefeated world champs at punching down, hence the rich lexicon of slurs for all sorts of folks

Large Testicles
Jun 1, 2020

[ASK] ME ABOUT MY LOVE FOR 1'S

FMguru posted:

"mong" is another colorful british insult that covers much the same territory

which is almost worst because it's short for Mongoloid. the Brits thought all Asians were inherently stupid

Powerful Two-Hander
Mar 10, 2004

jesus WEP posted:

:cripes: i had no idea that’s where scoper came from

lol what I was at school then and I don't remember that one

FMguru
Sep 10, 2003

peed on;
sexually

Large Testicles posted:

which is almost worst because it's short for Mongoloid. the Brits thought all Asians were inherently stupid
iirc that was the 'scientific' explanation for children born with downs syndrome in the early 20th century - that some recessive mongolian ancestry must be expressing itself, to make a child look and act that way

flakeloaf
Feb 26, 2003

Still better than android clock

FMguru posted:

iirc that was the 'scientific' explanation for children born with downs syndrome in the early 20th century - that some recessive mongolian ancestry must be expressing itself, to make a child look and act that way

late 19th, but yup that is basically what dr down said in the paper where he described the syndrome

quote:

The great Mongolian family has numerous representatives, and it is to this division,
I wish, in this paper, to call special attention. A very large number of congenital
idiots are typical Mongols. So marked is this, that when placed side by side, it is
difficult to believe that the specimens compared are not children of the same parents.
The number of idiots who arrange themselves around the Mongolian type is so great,
and they present such a close resemblance to one another in mental power, that I
shall describe an idiot member of this racial division, selected from the large number
that have fallen under my observation.

The boy's aspect is such that it is difficult to realize he is the child of Europeans,
but so frequently are these characters presented, that there can be no doubt that
these ethnic features are the result of degeneration

Apart from the practical bearing of this attempt at an ethnic classification, considerable
philosophical interest attaches to it. The tendency in the present day is to
reject the opinion that the various races are merely varieties of the human family
having a common origin, and to insist that climatic, or other influences, are insufficient
to account for the different types of man. Here, however, we have examples of
retrogression, or at all events, of departure from one type and the assumption of the
characteristics of another. If these great racial divisions are fixed and definite, how
comes it that disease is able to break down the barrier, and to simulate so closely the
features of the members of another division. I cannot but think that the observations
which I have recorded, are indications that the differences in the races are not specific
but variable.

Sombrerotron
Aug 1, 2004

Release my children! My hat is truly great and mighty.

FMguru posted:

yes and it's not a specifically british phenomenon either, it wasn't too long ago that "mongool" was a v. common insult in dutch roughly equivalent to the r-word

people with down syndrome would also casually be referred to as "mongooltjes"

anyway why hasn't anyone set
to 火車 yet

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

ChubbyChecker
Mar 25, 2018

Sombrerotron posted:

anyway why hasn't anyone set

to 火車 yet

lol