Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

afroserty
Apr 22, 2010
He had recently stepped down as the community manager of Saints Row Volition.

https://twitter.com/DSVolition/status/1391762661365501956

and had been suffering from stage four cancer.

https://twitter.com/IdolNinja/status/1299033937470205953

Mike Watson AKA idolninja was an incredibly frequent poster in every Saints Row thread on this subforum. He single handedly, as far as I am aware, created a huge mod for the PC version of Saints Row 2 called "Gentlemen of the Row".
Basically serving as a mod and tech support worker for every person who ever tried to play Saints Row 2 on PC. It's not an overstatement to say that it is one of the worst PC ports ever.

His talent was recognised during the development of Saints Row The Third, I believe. He made posts about being invited to the office to see the game early and then reported back to this forum. And sometime after that was hired at Deep Silver/Volition.
The guy always seemed really patient walking people through his mod and even though I never interacted with him he honestly came across as a great guy. Just seemed sad for a frequent poster to pass without comment.

source: https://old.reddit.com/r/pcgaming/comments/pbjgqu/mike_watson_volition_employee_who_was_fixing_the/

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Pirate Jet
May 2, 2010
IdolNinja joined the forums just to answer a question I had about his SR2 mod. He was the realest of the real. He did everything out of a sheer enthusiasm for his favorite games and their fans, and it carried him to a dream job. Can’t think of many things more inspiring than that.

Rest In Peace man. You’ll always be the boss.

Doomsayer
Sep 2, 2008

I have no idea what I'm doing, but that's never been a problem before.

I know he had been going down hill for a long time, but there was always that hope that he'd pull through. drat shame, he was indeed a really nice and talented dude. And yeah, he got to live the dream, which is a pretty rare feat!

Doomsayer fucked around with this message at 00:30 on Aug 26, 2021

ChickenHeart
Nov 28, 2007

Take me at your own risk.

Kiss From a Hog
gently caress cancer.

randombattle
Oct 16, 2008

This hand of mine shines and roars! It's bright cry tells me to grasp victory!

He was an amazing guy and hell of a lot of fun to hang around with at conventions. If anyone could say they made it though he sure loving could.

Zeether
Aug 26, 2011

He will be missed. Gentlemen of the Row was a fantastic fix and I hope he'll get a nice tribute in the new game/the SR2 patch when it's done. Dude was part of why I got so into the series to begin with.

Azubah
Jun 5, 2007

gently caress, I was hoping he'd recover.

site
Apr 6, 2007

Trans pride, Worldwide
Bitch
drat sad to hear, and on the same day the new sr game was announced. rip idol

site fucked around with this message at 00:55 on Aug 26, 2021

ReverendHammer
Feb 12, 2003

BARTHOLOMEW THEODOSUS IS NOT AMUSED
drat, I didn't know he was dealing with cancer. Gentlemen of the Row certainly made playing SR2 a lot more fun. RIP sir.

Solovey
Mar 24, 2009

motive: secret baby

so, so incredibly sad to hear this :( i only got into the saints row series after the third installment, myself, but i don't know if i would have ever given the second game a second look if not for kaubocks and panzerskank's LP showcasing his gentlemen of the row mod... what an amazingly cool dude, gone way too soon.

VERY COOL MAN
Jun 24, 2011

THESE PACKETS ARE... SUMMARILY DEALT WITH
we lost an excellent goon today. spooky timing.

PunkBoy
Aug 22, 2008

You wanna get through this?
I spoke with IdolNinja a few times back in the early Gentlemen of the Row days, and he was always a cool dude. His enthusiasm for Saints Row really helped me appreciate the series, and his modding work essentially made it a success. May he rest in peace.

PunkBoy fucked around with this message at 01:19 on Aug 26, 2021

Deviant
Sep 26, 2003

i've forgotten all of your names.

It's always depressing to be steam friends with someone gone. :(

VERY COOL MAN
Jun 24, 2011

THESE PACKETS ARE... SUMMARILY DEALT WITH

Deviant posted:

went out on top tho

Ms Adequate
Oct 30, 2011

Baby even when I'm dead and gone
You will always be my only one, my only one
When the night is calling
No matter who I become
You will always be my only one, my only one, my only one
When the night is calling

Rip to a real one.

Pirate Jet posted:

You’ll always be the boss.

:hmmyes:

CharlestonJew
Jul 7, 2011

Illegal Hen
He was the best, and he'll be dearly missed

half a kumquat
Mar 14, 2018

ChickenHeart posted:

gently caress cancer.

Mordja
Apr 26, 2014

Hell Gem
So it goes.

deep dish peat moss
Jul 27, 2006

I never interacted with IdolNinja but he was clearly very passionate about his mod and the game and he helped me cultivate a respect and awe for Saints Row, which I otherwise didn't really care about. RIP to a cool goon who did good things.

Acerbatus
Jun 26, 2020

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
Man, it was obviously a long shot but I was still hoping he'd pull through. Rip to a real one.

Deviant posted:

Yeah. :smith:

crepeface
Nov 5, 2004

r*p*f*c*
gently caress, i just heard about this. that sucks, idolninja was such a champ.

Jerusalem
May 20, 2004

Would you be my new best friends?

Glad he got to be so involved with a game he so dearly loved, like so many others I was able to play SR2 because Gentlemen of the Row made it possible to do so. In short...

ChickenHeart posted:

gently caress cancer.

Wolfsheim
Dec 23, 2003

and god is on your side
dividing sparrows from the nightingales
the SR2 thread was so good it convinced me to buy the game. goddamn.

Pirate Jet posted:

Rest In Peace man. You’ll always be the boss.

isk
Oct 3, 2007

You don't want me owing you
poo poo! I remember this dude. Loved what he did and made a mark. Pretty sure it was his passion for the series that motivated me to check it out. SR4 alone was worth it, and it's still a blast.

Chicken Chaser
Apr 15, 2006

FUCK YOU SAY?

We hadn't been friends for some years, but I was sad when I heard he was unwell and had to step down. To hear that his fight is over is heartbreaking. Even though we haven't spoken in ages, I'll miss him anyway, in spite of our differences. I'd always hoped to reconnect someday and it looks like thanks to that bitch cancer that'll never happen.

Life is loving cruel.

Thank you for everything- For introducing me to a whole group of new and awesome friends, for encouraging me to come out of my shell in THIS community, and everything else. Unlike Matt Miller, you were more than a bitch with a keyboard. You were the closest thing to "The Boss" in the Saints Row community.

Megazver
Jan 13, 2006
RIP.

Songbearer
Jul 12, 2007

Fuck you say?
Such a cool and positive guy, a pleasure to interact with him and a real success story to see him go from being a Saints Row superfan to working with the people who make it. He reached out to me over STEAM a few weeks ago to check up on me and I was so happy I could speak to him again. Jizzlobber to a real one and a legacy of happiness he left behind

FUCK SNEEP
Apr 21, 2007

The Saints lost a real one :smith:

Malcolm Excellent
May 20, 2007

Buglord
drat this sucks. Love to see the Saints Row 2 work finished in his honor

K8.0
Feb 26, 2004

Her Majesty's 56th Regiment of Foot

Malcolm Excellent posted:

drat this sucks. Love to see the Saints Row 2 work finished in his honor

It's supposed to be, Volition hired I believe two people to complete it and IdolNinja had roadmapped what remains and been working with them as long as he could.

I hope they put him front and center on the release. SR2 PC would never have had an audience worth a drat without him, and it was really his life's work to make the worst release of one of the best games ever into the best thing it could be.

Hank Morgan
Jun 17, 2007

Light Along the Inverse Curve.
I recall posting about a random issue I was having in one of the Saints Row games and out of the blue Idolninja friended me on Steam to just offer his help. RIP.

Ariong
Jun 25, 2012

gently caress me, really? Jesus christ. Nobody deserves this but, IdolNinja of all people really didn't deserve this.

Tombot
Oct 21, 2008
Oh man, I loved Idolninja. I learned about him long before I learned that he had cancer, his work making Saints Row 2 playable on PC helped keep that game relevant long after the older consoles cycled out. It's a shame he never lived long enough to see his final work completed, but I have hope we can still honor his memory. Seriously, gently caress Cancer.

Shinjobi
Jul 10, 2008

Gravy Boat 2k
Nothing but respect for the Gentleman of the Row. Dude took a chicken poo poo port and made some chicken salad out of it, and frankly I don't know if I even get into the series without his role in everything.

Cancer is trash, and no one deserves to put up with it. Sorry to see him go.

Squiggle
Sep 29, 2002

I don't think she likes the special sauce, Rick.

Woof, that's hard news.

Evil Canadian
Sep 10, 2000

No one man should have all that Psycho-Power.

Man I remember he went above and beyond to help me out with stuff before. drat shame, this sucks.

Rest in peace friend

Thorg
Jan 1, 2007
Thorg hungry! Thorg want eat!
I met IdolNinja when he sent me a friend invite on Steam to discuss a mod I made for Saints Row 4. When we were talking he noticed I was in the SA Goons group on Steam and said something along the lines of "I had a good feeling about you" which made me laugh. We talked a bit about SR4 mods and stuff over the next few months. He was really helpful and encouraging about modding and just seemed like a great guy. He even sent me an Agents of Mayhem t-shirt that I still have.

Condolences to his friends and family.

SixFigureSandwich
Oct 30, 2004
Exciting Lemon

ChickenHeart posted:

gently caress cancer.

Yeah this

That Dang Dad
Apr 23, 2003

Well I am
over-fucking-whelmed...
Young Orc
drat, Idolninja was such a pillar of the SR community. RIP in peace, my man. <3

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Samovar
Jun 4, 2011

I'm 😤 not a 🦸🏻‍♂️hero...🧜🏻

I never played SR2, but I remember how effective his work was in PanzerSkank and Kauboc's LP, making possibly one of the greatest LPs in existence. Sympathies to his family.