Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

actionjackson
Jan 12, 2003

dwr or blu dot for modernism, also considering you have a good sized budget.

for example looking at the outline sectional from muuto - fabric version starts around 5800 with the current sale

https://www.dwr.com/living-sofas-sectionals/outline-sectional/2513942.html?lang=en_US

If you are going to do a sectional you absolutely want to do a 9x12 rug. sectionals typically are 100-120" wide. you want at least 6" on each side, and if you are going to have an end table, enough coverage for that.

If you are going to do a regular sofa, 5k should be more than enough for anything at dwr, at least if it's fabric. so I would just look at everything they have.

here's a very danish MCM themed sofa https://www.dwr.com/living-sofas-sectionals/lispenard-sofa/2197621.html?lang=en_US

kind of a unique looking sectional (note the width) https://www.dwr.com/living-sofas-sectionals/costura-sectional/3141.html?lang=en_US

a very warm feeling sofa https://www.dwr.com/living-sofas-sectionals/emmy-sofa/2516377.html?lang=en_US

I have the new standard from blu dot in maharam mode intaglio, I would definitely check out all their stuff too.

ideally go to their stores in person if it's an option for you

i like the bench!

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

MetaJew
Apr 14, 2006
Gather round, one and all, and thrill to my turgid tales of underwhelming misadventure!

actionjackson posted:

dwr or blu dot for modernism, also considering you have a good sized budget.

for example looking at the outline sectional from muuto - fabric version starts around 5800 with the current sale

https://www.dwr.com/living-sofas-sectionals/outline-sectional/2513942.html?lang=en_US

If you are going to do a sectional you absolutely want to do a 9x12 rug. sectionals typically are 100-120" wide. you want at least 6" on each side, and if you are going to have an end table, enough coverage for that.

If you are going to do a regular sofa, 5k should be more than enough for anything at dwr, at least if it's fabric. so I would just look at everything they have.

here's a very danish MCM themed sofa https://www.dwr.com/living-sofas-sectionals/lispenard-sofa/2197621.html?lang=en_US

kind of a unique looking sectional (note the width) https://www.dwr.com/living-sofas-sectionals/costura-sectional/3141.html?lang=en_US

a very warm feeling sofa https://www.dwr.com/living-sofas-sectionals/emmy-sofa/2516377.html?lang=en_US

I have the new standard from blu dot in maharam mode intaglio, I would definitely check out all their stuff too.

ideally go to their stores in person if it's an option for you

i like the bench!

We've got a DWR and Blu Dot in Austin-- and all the models you've shown look prrreeety good. I'm a big fan of Danish/MCM, but that one seems a little on the short side.

I'll try to check them out this weekend. Although our Public Health department has been sending out messages to stay home, and our governor is a shithead. :(

actionjackson
Jan 12, 2003

MetaJew posted:

We've got a DWR and Blu Dot in Austin-- and all the models you've shown look prrreeety good. I'm a big fan of Danish/MCM, but that one seems a little on the short side.

I'll try to check them out this weekend. Although our Public Health department has been sending out messages to stay home, and our governor is a shithead. :(

you may want to check out this site then, obviously just online but you can always order samples

https://www.danishdesignstore.com/

MetaJew
Apr 14, 2006
Gather round, one and all, and thrill to my turgid tales of underwhelming misadventure!
We checked out the New Standard at Blu Dot and the Outline, among others at DWR. They didn't have the Costura on the floor, but my wife liked the Outline and the New Standard.

The New Standard is something like $1200 cheaper and feels equally nice for a similar dimension. Assuming the chaise model will fit in our living room, I think that's the one we're going to purchase.

actionjackson
Jan 12, 2003

MetaJew posted:

We checked out the New Standard at Blu Dot and the Outline, among others at DWR. They didn't have the Costura on the floor, but my wife liked the Outline and the New Standard.

The New Standard is something like $1200 cheaper and feels equally nice for a similar dimension. Assuming the chaise model will fit in our living room, I think that's the one we're going to purchase.

the new standard is what I have. the maharam fabrics are really nice.

UnkleBoB
Jul 24, 2000

Beginner's Version, Copyright,
1991 - Please Copy and Distribute
Kind of a weird ask, but are there any interesting curtain rods around? All I can find are typical globe or wrought iron style finials. Don't really know what I'm looking for, but I tend toward industrial/postmodern styles.

corgski
Feb 6, 2007

Silly goose, you're here forever.

What's old is new again, perhaps. These are reproductions of the original style of curtain rod installed in my 1910s arts and crafts foursquare.

https://kilianhardware.com/so38incuroda.html

corgski fucked around with this message at 22:56 on Aug 8, 2021

MetaJew
Apr 14, 2006

actionjackson posted:

the new standard is what I have. the maharam fabrics are really nice.

Can you take a look at the New Standard product page? I don't think it's offered in the Maharam fabrics.

Edit: Oh, it's offered for the sofa, but not the sectional/chaise version.

I want to say the person working the Bludot store told us that that fabric offering was coming in later this month. I will need to call them or something.

Edit to also say I think I'm gonna pick up this for our bedroom to go at the foot of the bed:
https://www.dwr.com/living-benches-stools/softbench/2197526.html?lang=en_US

MetaJew fucked around with this message at 23:34 on Aug 8, 2021

actionjackson
Jan 12, 2003

MetaJew posted:

Can you take a look at the New Standard product page? I don't think it's offered in the Maharam fabrics.

Edit: Oh, it's offered for the sofa, but not the sectional/chaise version.

I want to say the person working the Bludot store told us that that fabric offering was coming in later this month. I will need to call them or something.

Edit to also say I think I'm gonna pick up this for our bedroom to go at the foot of the bed:
https://www.dwr.com/living-benches-stools/softbench/2197526.html?lang=en_US

yeah I have the sofa. keep in mind that all blu dot stuff is 20% off in October (I would double check with them on this, but it was last year)

cool bench, I'm a big softline fan

MetaJew
Apr 14, 2006

actionjackson posted:

Is there any reason to call/go to DWR to purchase that bench versus ordering it online? Will the sales associated haggle at all or throw in any free extras, or am I just helping them get a commission?

I haven't purchased any "highish-end" furniture since I bought my bed from from Room and Board 10 years ago, and that was done entirely online, too.

actionjackson
Jan 12, 2003

MetaJew posted:

Is there any reason to call/go to DWR to purchase that bench versus ordering it online? Will the sales associated haggle at all or throw in any free extras, or am I just helping them get a commission?

I haven't purchased any "highish-end" furniture since I bought my bed from from Room and Board 10 years ago, and that was done entirely online, too.

They can give 10% off when it's normal price, but during the sale it will be the same discounted price you get online. Yes they get a commission if you order from them. It is nice to actually go into the store once and develop a relationship with a salesperson though. They will also be able to send you a list of floor sale items each month. There's a (very small) chance that this item might even be on floor sale right now, but don't get your hopes up!

You should also be able to see the fabric in person, as they have a ton of samples. Also this bench isn't on softline's website, which is strange - must be some sort of dwr exclusive. But usually there will be other fabric options that you could custom order. You aren't limited necessarily to the options on the website. With my table (which will be here by uh... 2026?) I knew they sold the brand (Magis), but even though they didn't sell the specific table on their site, the were able to custom order it for me.

MetaJew
Apr 14, 2006

actionjackson posted:

They can give 10% off when it's normal price, but during the sale it will be the same discounted price you get online. Yes they get a commission if you order from them. It is nice to actually go into the store once and develop a relationship with a salesperson though. They will also be able to send you a list of floor sale items each month. There's a (very small) chance that this item might even be on floor sale right now, but don't get your hopes up!

You should also be able to see the fabric in person, as they have a ton of samples. Also this bench isn't on softline's website, which is strange - must be some sort of dwr exclusive. But usually there will be other fabric options that you could custom order. You aren't limited necessarily to the options on the website. With my table (which will be here by uh... 2026?) I knew they sold the brand (Magis), but even though they didn't sell the specific table on their site, the were able to custom order it for me.

Good points. We did check out the floor sample list, and picked up a small tray for $16 to put keys and stuff in. It would be cool to get more info on other samples that go on sale.

We saw that bench in person and I'm satisfied with the light gray color. They didn't mention it coming in colors other than the two listed on the website, but that's good to know that there are potentially more options.

I also talked to the Bludot associate and they confirmed that they'd have a 20% off annual sale in October, and they would contact me in September for pre-orders so I think that's when we'll pick up the New Standard. She told me that the New Standard sectional would "eventually" be offered in the maharam fabric, but not until sometime in 2022 and I don't think we necessarily want to wait until then. Of course, I guess we could do the couch and some sort of ottoman, but I'm not sure if I like that idea or not versus having effectively a daybed.

Edmond Dantes
Sep 12, 2007

Reactor: Online
Sensors: Online
Weapons: Online

ALL SYSTEMS NOMINAL
Hey thread. I could use some bouncing around of ideas concerning my study. I may be moving out of here in the not so distant future, so I'd like to keep spending low. I also live in a third world country so any links you throw my way will be for illustrative purposes.

Is is currently a mishmash of poo poo that ended up here as I replaced furniture in other parts of the house and never got rid of, so let's ignore the now and focus on the future alright? :v:

This is how it is currently (lovely picture and mess, I know).

Sewing machine table is there because my CPU has top fans and I'm terrified I'll drop liquid into it so I got it off the ground. Other table is there to serve as... a surface, pretty much. Need to set down stuff somwhere.

Doors on the right are sliding and open out to the balcony, wall not in the picture has the door to the room and a wardrobe, so it's unusable.

So, here's option A:

Get a 1.80 x 40 table, same height as my desk, and make an L shaped desk that goes right up to where both doors to the balcony meet. That way I can still use the shelves, put the computer under the table and maybe even get a cabinet below it. It would also give me a good work surface with natural light from the window. I never open that door because it's too close to the end of the balcony and if it rains water gets in. This also leaves some room to put a nice chair and set up a reading nook/place I can use the laptop from.

Option B:
Get something like this:

And use it to set the CPU on at the side of the desk. Gives me a (lower than the desk) surface to set poo poo on and some drawers, but leaves that weird space between that and the shelves which is not quite enough for the chair.

This is pretty much what I've come up with so far; I'm open to any and all suggestions.

Edmond Dantes fucked around with this message at 17:30 on Aug 16, 2021

The Slack Lagoon
Jun 17, 2008

I'm going to be making a dining table, and I need some help with sizing. I'd like to be able to fit 4 people, 2 on each side comfortably, but also 6, with 1 on each end, in a pinch. To be used for playing board games/eating meals, but the food would be served buffet style from the counters.

We had a 36"x66" table, but it was too large for the room. I'm thinking a 30" or 32" wide table by 54" or 56". Any thoughts? The room itself is 11'x13', but one side of it serves as a hallway between the kitchen and living room so the table can't be too wide or it will interrupt that flow

ZombieCrew
Apr 1, 2019

The Slack Lagoon posted:

I'm going to be making a dining table, and I need some help with sizing. I'd like to be able to fit 4 people, 2 on each side comfortably, but also 6, with 1 on each end, in a pinch. To be used for playing board games/eating meals, but the food would be served buffet style from the counters.

We had a 36"x66" table, but it was too large for the room. I'm thinking a 30" or 32" wide table by 54" or 56". Any thoughts? The room itself is 11'x13', but one side of it serves as a hallway between the kitchen and living room so the table can't be too wide or it will interrupt that flow

I wouldnt skimp on the width if you are really into boardgames. Some of those take up a lot of room. If thats not a huge concern, then Id go 32" and no less than 30" in width. I wouldnt go less than 30" per place setting really. It gets a little tight after that.

Danhenge
Dec 16, 2005

corgski posted:

What's old is new again, perhaps. These are reproductions of the original style of curtain rod installed in my 1910s arts and crafts foursquare.

https://kilianhardware.com/so38incuroda.html

Is there any way to get actual cast brass curtain rods? Does this make sense? My fiance is on a quest for them, but I don't know that they actually exist or make sense.

Lawen
Aug 7, 2000

More lighting talk.
New (to me) house and I'm working on turning a bedroom into a home office; trying to figure out lighting first. It's roughly 9'x15' with 9' ceilings, a south-facing window at one end, and currently a single 3 bulb fixture in the middle of the room plus a pair of pendant lights near the window. My old home office was roughly the same square footage and had like 8 or 10 small GU10 bulbs in recessed cans more or less evenly spaced and I rather liked the even and consistent lighting. I think I'd like to do something similar but wouldn't mind fewer, larger lights that achieved the same effect. I looked at some of the Nora Pearl and Halo ML stuff that was mentioned a page back and they look good but I'm not really sure which size or type or quantity I should be looking for.

Is there a rule of thumb for lumen output (?) needed for a given square footage?
Are there benefits/drawbacks to more, smaller lights vs fewer, larger lights?
I have an attic above the room so I should have fairly easy access to install but I assume I'll still need to buy lights labelled as "retrofit"?
Would something like this Halo LCR6 in a 2x2 or 3x2 grid work well or is that total overkill?

TIA for any advice, I have no idea what I'm doing.

corgski
Feb 6, 2007

Silly goose, you're here forever.

Danhenge posted:

Is there any way to get actual cast brass curtain rods? Does this make sense? My fiance is on a quest for them, but I don't know that they actually exist or make sense.

There are definitely people selling 3/8” brass rod for that style of curtain rod but I don’t know of any that are necessarily cast or have any decoration to them.

TITTIEKISSER69
Mar 19, 2005

SAVE THE BEES
PLANT MORE TREES
CLEAN THE SEAS
KISS TITTIESS

Is there such thing as a round, glass-top table, either a coffee table or small table for dining, that has a bottom layer which allows you to insert something under the glass?

peanut
Sep 9, 2007

Sure my mother-in-law has a huge solid wooden table with a matching glass top, she has some decorative quilting inside.

TITTIEKISSER69
Mar 19, 2005

SAVE THE BEES
PLANT MORE TREES
CLEAN THE SEAS
KISS TITTIESS

If there's a name or term to help with searching I'd love to know what it is.

3D Megadoodoo
Nov 25, 2010

E: actually, this didn't make much sense

3D Megadoodoo fucked around with this message at 07:09 on Aug 19, 2021

Anne Whateley
Feb 11, 2007
:unsmith: i like nice words

TITTIEKISSER69 posted:

Try: glass top table display art

You can also just buy any table you like and then get glass cut to fit, if the art you're displaying is flat

Anne Whateley fucked around with this message at 07:47 on Aug 19, 2021

amethystbliss
Jan 17, 2006

TITTIEKISSER69 posted:

Shadow box coffee table.

TITTIEKISSER69
Mar 19, 2005

SAVE THE BEES
PLANT MORE TREES
CLEAN THE SEAS
KISS TITTIESS

Thanks!

hypnophant
Oct 19, 2012

Lawen posted:

More lighting talk.
New (to me) house and I'm working on turning a bedroom into a home office; trying to figure out lighting first. It's roughly 9'x15' with 9' ceilings, a south-facing window at one end, and currently a single 3 bulb fixture in the middle of the room plus a pair of pendant lights near the window. My old home office was roughly the same square footage and had like 8 or 10 small GU10 bulbs in recessed cans more or less evenly spaced and I rather liked the even and consistent lighting. I think I'd like to do something similar but wouldn't mind fewer, larger lights that achieved the same effect. I looked at some of the Nora Pearl and Halo ML stuff that was mentioned a page back and they look good but I'm not really sure which size or type or quantity I should be looking for.

Is there a rule of thumb for lumen output (?) needed for a given square footage?
Are there benefits/drawbacks to more, smaller lights vs fewer, larger lights?
I have an attic above the room so I should have fairly easy access to install but I assume I'll still need to buy lights labelled as "retrofit"?
Would something like this Halo LCR6 in a 2x2 or 3x2 grid work well or is that total overkill?

TIA for any advice, I have no idea what I'm doing.

If you have never heard of ambient, task, and accent lighting before, start by reading this article or just googling it. Also keep in mind that "lumen" just refers to the amount of light output by a source but doesn't tell you anything about how even that light is, or what direction it's throwing it in. A spotlight and a wide angle light might have the same lumen value but will be perceived differently; the spotlight will be brighter but less even. This is important for recessed cans because even with a very wide beam angle for a can is around 90 degrees; meanwhile an incandescent bulb puts out close to 360 degrees of light. LED bulbs aren't as good as incandescents in this one specific measure but often have beam angles around 180 degrees.

I found a bog standard LED GU10 bulb at HD which is rated for 450 lumens, so I'll use that as a starting figure and say your old office had 3500-4500 lumens. This blog post suggests 50-75 lumens/sqft for "offices: reading and writing" or 20-50 for "offices: rooms with computers"; 4000 lumens for your 135 sqft new office gives you 30 lumens/sqft, in the middle of the "room with computers" range. Those cans you linked are up to 3000 lumens each so even 2 would be substantially more light than you had before. I don't suggest using 2 recessed cans in any room, since even with a wide throw they won't light the walls/ceiling very well and they will cast noticeable shadows, which will make the lighting feel uneven. This is the big drawback to having fewer bigger lights btw, the worst example being having one very bright light in the middle of a room casting lots of shadows everywhere and failing to light the corners. On the other hand having too many small lights also kind of sucks because you're much more likely to have one in your line of sight at any given time and the glare gets annoying. It's ok if they're candle-level lights but lighting a room with just candles is its own challenge. Having too many small recessed cans also tends to make the ceiling look like it has a disfiguring disease.

If you still want cans I might go with 4 or 6 of these guys, rated 700 lumens, with a desk lamp anywhere you need additional lighting for reading or writing. Someone in the Home Zone thread can probably tell you everything you need to know about installation. Cans are definitely not the only way to get even and consistent lighting, though. The simplest (and cheapest) thing to do is just put a regular rear end floor or table lamp in each corner. Good quality a19/e26 LED bulbs are usually 600-800 lumens so one in each corner will give you a similar result to a 2x2 grid of cans (except the light will be pointed up at the ceiling and reflect back down, instead of pointing straight down and pooling under the cans, which will give you more even light overall.) You can also use wall sconces to save some floor space if that's a concern.

Lawen
Aug 7, 2000

That's incredibly helpful, thank you hypnophant.

Based on that, plus talking to my electrician today, I think I'm going to go with a ceiling fan in the middle of the room and then also install 4x of those 4" recessed LEDs. During the day when I'm being productive I'll have the daylight from the window plus the cooler light from the LEDs; in the evening when I'm chilling I'll use a floor/table lamp or two, a desk lamp, and the ceiling fan light for warmer light. It might be a bit overkill but I'm hopeful it'll work well.

surf rock
Aug 12, 2007

We need more women in STEM, and by that, I mean skateboarding, television, esports, and magic.
There are many better ways to do this, but the funniest way was MS Paint, so here's the layout of my living room + office:

The room is a big rectangle. The yellow represents a sliding glass door to the porch that faces west. The green is my entertainment center and TV. The red is my desk; I work from home so that's where my computer and I are most of the the day. The blue area on the opposite side is a big empty section of wall where I'm considering hanging a big mirror.

I thought about putting a photo gallery up there instead, but a mirror seems like the obvious choice since it's right next to the entryway. My concern is whether sunlight from the sliding glass door will reflect off the mirror and add annoying glare to the computer monitors on my desk or the television. I'm guessing it will, and that there's no way for me to see how bad the effect would be other than to buy a cheap mirror and find out. Am I overlooking a better option to figure out how intense the glare would be? Thank you!

MetaJew
Apr 14, 2006

actionjackson posted:

yeah I have the sofa. keep in mind that all blu dot stuff is 20% off in October (I would double check with them on this, but it was last year)

My cat approves of the softline

nashona
May 8, 2014

Though she be but little, she is fierce

I have a pair of closets in one of our bedrooms and I'm stumped on how to configure them.
They have slanted ceilings and aren't very wide. The PO had wire shelving badly installed along one of tne long walls making it hard to actually get in to reach items in the back. Ideally, I was hoping to use these closets to store craft supplies, bags, and shoes. In addition to national closet chains, I have come across a local one, they all have free estimates but i don't mind doing it myself. Also, the examples I've found so far all have wider closets.

My initial thought is shelving along the short back wall with hooks along the sides to the front. I just wonder if there are other options I'm not seeing.

The closet is 4' deep, 2'9" across and the ceiling slopes from 7'3" in the front to 2'10" in the back.

actionjackson
Jan 12, 2003

for the area in the back where the back wall is straight, you have 33" width, 34" height. I would like into a wide nightstand, or a narrow dresser with three drawers. there are nightstands that are 28" wide. Preferably one without legs so you have more storage space in the drawers. Since it's hidden away in the closet, I would just look at ikea or craigslist.

I added a filter for ikea dressers, width 20-40, height 30-40

https://www.ikea.com/us/en/cat/chests-of-drawers-10451/?filters=f-measurement-buckets%3AWIDTH_20_40%7CHEIGHT_30_40

The MALM three door would fit very nicely in there, at 31" wide, 30" high

hypnophant
Oct 19, 2012

nashona posted:

I have a pair of closets in one of our bedrooms and I'm stumped on how to configure them.
They have slanted ceilings and aren't very wide. The PO had wire shelving badly installed along one of tne long walls making it hard to actually get in to reach items in the back. Ideally, I was hoping to use these closets to store craft supplies, bags, and shoes. In addition to national closet chains, I have come across a local one, they all have free estimates but i don't mind doing it myself. Also, the examples I've found so far all have wider closets.

My initial thought is shelving along the short back wall with hooks along the sides to the front. I just wonder if there are other options I'm not seeing.

The closet is 4' deep, 2'9" across and the ceiling slopes from 7'3" in the front to 2'10" in the back.

I’d put a narrow dresser in the back, modifying it if necessary to fit under the sloped roof, then install a regular closet rod in the remaining space and add whichever hang-on-door shoe storage solution looks good to you. Bags can hang from the closet rod or you can put a rolling cart on the floor in front of the dresser. If you’re handy, or willing to spend money on someone who is, I’d consider opening up the back wall and rebuilding it at a more convenient depth with a knee wall cabinet to make better use of the space under the slope.

Speaking of: what’s behind the slope? What’s to the left and right of the closet, and where are they in relation to each other? If the closet is cut into otherwise empty space under the rafters, you can potentially open that up and give yourself a lot more closet space.

cheese eats mouse
Jul 6, 2007

A real Portlander now
It's probably the roof line. We had a lot of closets like that in my parent's turn of the century 4-square.

Lawen
Aug 7, 2000

I bought a house recently and have this weird space in the stairwell that I can't figure out how to use.

It's about 4.5' high, 5' x 2' in area, and the ceiling is probably about 9' above the...platform? I don't even know what to call it, which is part of my problem because it makes it hard to search for ideas.
It's facing due west so I'm definitely going to put some automated blinds up to deal with the blinding sunlight in the late afternoon. It has a power outlet, which gives me more options on what I could put there. But basically the only ideas I've come up with are putting a tree there at christmas or maybe putting a floating shelf walkway over to it from the top landing so the cat can get to it and chill there.
If anyone has ideas for how to use the space or even knows if something like that has a specific name that I could search for on houzz or pinterest or whatever, I'd appreciate it.

and yeah, I'm already planning to replace the handrail and bannister with something a bit less stodgy and oak.

wheatpuppy
Apr 25, 2008

YOU HAVE MY POST!
That seems like a good place to put some plants. Or yeah, cat loft is a cute idea.

mutata
Mar 1, 2003

Twin size mattress and that becomes a room you can rent for $1300/month to a New Yorker.

Edit: Oh, it's 5x2? A crib mattress then. The rest of it remains unchanged.

nashona
May 8, 2014

Though she be but little, she is fierce

actionjackson posted:

for the area in the back where the back wall is straight, you have 33" width, 34" height. I would like into a wide nightstand, or a narrow dresser with three drawers. there are nightstands that are 28" wide. Preferably one without legs so you have more storage space in the drawers. Since it's hidden away in the closet, I would just look at ikea or craigslist.

I added a filter for ikea dressers, width 20-40, height 30-40

https://www.ikea.com/us/en/cat/chests-of-drawers-10451/?filters=f-measurement-buckets%3AWIDTH_20_40%7CHEIGHT_30_40

The MALM three door would fit very nicely in there, at 31" wide, 30" high

hypnophant posted:

I’d put a narrow dresser in the back, modifying it if necessary to fit under the sloped roof, then install a regular closet rod in the remaining space and add whichever hang-on-door shoe storage solution looks good to you. Bags can hang from the closet rod or you can put a rolling cart on the floor in front of the dresser. If you’re handy, or willing to spend money on someone who is, I’d consider opening up the back wall and rebuilding it at a more convenient depth with a knee wall cabinet to make better use of the space under the slope.

Speaking of: what’s behind the slope? What’s to the left and right of the closet, and where are they in relation to each other? If the closet is cut into otherwise empty space under the rafters, you can potentially open that up and give yourself a lot more closet space.

cheese eats mouse posted:

It's probably the roof line. We had a lot of closets like that in my parent's turn of the century 4-square.

Yes, it's the roof line. It's sloped from a gable. On one side are the stairs, on the other is a window/ window seat. It's a 1940 Tudor revival house which I'm loving but allows for lots of funky spaces. Thanks for the suggestions! I'm going to do some mockups and planning over the weekend.

cakesmith handyman
Jul 22, 2007

Pip-Pip old chap! Last one in is a rotten egg what what.

Bugger the cat, I'd install a mini ladder and cushions and make it a reading nook.

Wallet
Jun 19, 2006

wheatpuppy posted:

That seems like a good place to put some plants. Or yeah, cat loft is a cute idea.

Both IMO. Make a cat jungle.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Sirotan
Oct 17, 2006

Sirotan is a seal.

Bought a white couch today. Got 48 hours to decide whether I've made a terrible decision or not.