Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

The Fool
Oct 16, 2003

I now own hades on three systems, which is the most for any game except stardew valley

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Corla Plankun
May 8, 2007

improve the lives of everyone
hades is good for short playthroughs but you gotta keep practicing pretty consistently

i put it down for a couple of weeks while i tried out ffxiv and when i came back to it i died to fuckin charon

jesus WEP
Oct 17, 2004

The Fool posted:

I now own hades on three systems, which is the most for any game except stardew valley
yeah i have 3 copies of stardew valley and 3 of slay the spire. sts runs like poo poo on ios though

SmokaDustbowl
Feb 12, 2001

by vyelkin
Fun Shoe
holy poo poo max payne 3 is so buggy I give up. it just locked up once and crashed once in 10 minutes. i was playing last night and after a cutscene I was completely unable to walk forward. I could strafe but not walk forward lol

Achmed Jones
Oct 16, 2004

it's called CHALLENGE smoka try embracing it!!!!!!!!!!!!!

SmokaDustbowl
Feb 12, 2001

by vyelkin
Fun Shoe
now I remember why I never finished it

SmokaDustbowl
Feb 12, 2001

by vyelkin
Fun Shoe
I'm going back to finish yakuza 3

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=FNt7wwETXf4

SmokaDustbowl fucked around with this message at 20:53 on Aug 23, 2021

Ciaphas
Nov 20, 2005

> BEWARE, COWARD :ovr:

im finally playing hollow knight and its real fuckin good

this endgame super meat boy collab is a bit much tho

President Beep
Apr 30, 2009

i have to have a car because otherwise i cant drive around the country solving mysteries while being doggedly pursued by federal marshals for a crime i did not commit (9/11)

Achmed Jones posted:

it's called BULLET TIME smoka try embracing it!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Pythagoras a trois
Feb 19, 2004

I have a lot of points to make and I will make them later.
Does battling hades ever get easier? I feel like I need to luck out pretty hard to face him, then luck out even harder to have a kit that he doesn't wreck immediately

Corla Plankun
May 8, 2007

for me the main thing I had to learn was to slow way down and be more cautious. It is easy to dodge almost everything except the beams if i just slow down and watch more than i act

Corla Plankun
May 8, 2007

today I had a sword run with a bunch of Poseidon knockback/wallbounce buffs and the little rooms leading up to Hades were like those scientific blenders that can homogenize a mouse in 200 milliseconds

Agile Vector
May 21, 2007

scrum bored

SpaceAceJase posted:

recommend some, please. I'm looking for some couch games

sure, it's mostly my back catalogue of indie bundles. I guess they're primarily platform/puzzle games, since I prefer a mouse and kb for fps and mmo games and I don't want to get too stressed while sitting with my dog at the end of a long week

valley - a jumping, running… platformer? it sort of reminded me of rocket jumping as a mechanic, with big open levels and puzzle solving goals. the story is fine and the evolution of skills adds unlockable hidden areas in early levels. kinda chill once you get the timing down

gris - another platformer, great art style, not high-pressure gameplay which is nice, and the puzzles felt reasonable

little nightmares - started this recently, though the controls felt a bit finicky with my steam controller. i'll have to go back and use the xbox controller, but I like the art direction

i also just grabbed lego builder's journey, but the controller feels clunky, like it's meant for a mouse or touch screens. I'll admit I bought it mostly for the raytracing

i played a few others, but they didn't grab me. there's MIND: Path to Thalamus, which is visually fine but the puzzles feel simple and at times obtuse. i also played The Fidelio Incident, again visually solid, but it's more an interactive novel than a puzzle game, and the finale whacks you over the head with foreshadowing

they're in a stack of unreal engine myst-likes, so I guess that's par for the course. fidelio's story wasn't what I expected, but both fall into the 'protagonist regrets being a bad husband/father/partner' template and if I wanted that I can banish sirrus and achenar again for atrus in myst rerererererelease vr edition

as mentioned earlier, I've also been playing the early access release for death trash which feels good on a controller, but I wouldn't recommend it for a play through unless you don't mind the incomplete story/prerelease nature of early access. I normally wait for a full release, but it got my attention and I wanted to support the devs. it's short enough now that a new save in a few months with more story would be worth the time

RokosCockatrice posted:

hades isn't the kind of game you should pick up if you don't have a week to just blow, huh

this is a good couch one, even though I started at a desktop. short replay loops means you can pick it up for a session, or spend an evening

RokosCockatrice posted:

i've got pto saved up but not like not subnautica levels of pto.

I'm sure a full play through can be done in a week if you skip eating and sleeping :shepface:

haveblue
Aug 15, 2005

Toilet Rascal

RokosCockatrice posted:

Does battling hades ever get easier? I feel like I need to luck out pretty hard to face him, then luck out even harder to have a kit that he doesn't wreck immediately

hades will always be hard and getting lucky will always be part of roguelikes but eventually it gets somewhat easier. getting there with a couple of death defiances helps a lot. you might find one of the unlockable weapon aspects works much better for you than the weapon's base form. you learn which gods have boons that deal DOT while you run and hide. make sure you're buying dungeon work orders from the contractor and high tier mirror talents too

it took me something like 30 runs to get my first clear and the other day I did two clears in a row

haveblue fucked around with this message at 14:46 on Aug 24, 2021

Shaggar
Apr 26, 2006
i got my first hades kill on my 20th attempt and it was a hell of a lucky run where i had the spear, weapon mods that made the spear's primary do more damage and add more range, and then the Poseidon/Thor duo boon that made my primary do a ton of effect damage. i wrecked him pretty hard just cause i was doing so much single target damage.

it does get easier as you gain more passives

CRIP EATIN BREAD
Jun 24, 2002

Hey stop worrying bout my acting bitch, and worry about your WACK ass music. In the mean time... Eat a hot bowl of Dicks! Ice T

Soiled Meat
i was waiting years for twelve minutes to come out and i played through it really fast but it was also really good.

adventure game where the puzzles made logical sense.

plus you can do some funny things.

Truman Peyote
Oct 11, 2006

i'm playing "rise of the tomb raider" now for some reason. its ok i guess, i have to admit that the sequences where you're running away from something blowing up/collapsing around you are pretty cool looking even if they are just glorified quick time events

The Fool
Oct 16, 2003

rise is probably the best of the modern tomb raiders

it expands on and refines mechanics in tomb raider but isn’t played out and derivative yet like shadow

yippee cahier
Mar 28, 2005

Truman Peyote posted:

i'm playing "rise of the tomb raider" now for some reason. its ok i guess, i have to admit that the sequences where you're running away from something blowing up/collapsing around you are pretty cool looking even if they are just glorified quick time events

don’t get sidetracked collecting every little thing like i did. it’s just too shallow to be worth it. enjoy the sequences and have fun.

jesus WEP
Oct 17, 2004

on the fence about picking up 12 minutes, seems like a really cool puzzle but lots of reviews say it gets super tedious and bad towards the end so idk

Jenny Agutter
Mar 18, 2009

it's on game pass so just download it and try it? seems like a no brainer

CRIP EATIN BREAD
Jun 24, 2002

Hey stop worrying bout my acting bitch, and worry about your WACK ass music. In the mean time... Eat a hot bowl of Dicks! Ice T

Soiled Meat
its very good.

it also has a lot of red herrings that cracked me up. first thin i did when i played was see if it let me stab my wife and sure enough...

PIZZA.BAT
Nov 12, 2016

:cheers:

Ciaphas posted:

im finally playing hollow knight and its real fuckin good

this endgame super meat boy collab is a bit much tho

yeah it's really loving good

also yeahx2 that level is ridiculous. it's optional though so you're hurting yourself of your own volition :)

haveblue
Aug 15, 2005

Toilet Rascal

PIZZA.BAT posted:

yeah it's really loving good

also yeahx2 that level is ridiculous. it's optional though so you're hurting yourself of your own volition :)

the path of pain is fully optional but there are parts of the white palace that are mandatory for certain endings

Kenny Logins
Jan 11, 2011

EVERY MORNING I WAKE UP AND OPEN PALM SLAM A WHITE WHALE INTO THE PEQUOD. IT'S HELL'S HEART AND RIGHT THEN AND THERE I STRIKE AT THEE ALONGSIDE WITH THE MAIN CHARACTER, ISHMAEL.
https://twitter.com/crowsx3/status/1431270370485719045?s=21

Truman Peyote
Oct 11, 2006

i hated that game

Ciaphas
Nov 20, 2005

> BEWARE, COWARD :ovr:

haveblue posted:

the path of pain is fully optional but there are parts of the white palace that are mandatory for certain endings

yea i meant the latter, i haven't looked at the path of pain yet. working on the pantheons atm

got the true pre-dlc ending a few days ago, and i gotta say i love me a good post-victory cinematic beatdown like that was

bump_fn
Apr 12, 2004

two of them
https://twitter.com/alex_navarro/status/1431012050181005315

SmokaDustbowl
Feb 12, 2001

by vyelkin
Fun Shoe

lmao the ball floating in the corner

Sagebrush
Feb 26, 2012

Truman Peyote posted:

i hated that game

i played through it but it didn't click for me either

AnimeIsTrash
Jun 30, 2018

No more heroes 3 came out so I will be playing that.

SmokaDustbowl
Feb 12, 2001

by vyelkin
Fun Shoe
I have no more heroes 1 and 2 on wii please tell me poo poo is not 80 bucks

AnimeIsTrash
Jun 30, 2018

SmokaDustbowl posted:

I have no more heroes 1 and 2 on wii please tell me poo poo is not 80 bucks

They rereleased them for the switch and they're both $20.

SmokaDustbowl
Feb 12, 2001

by vyelkin
Fun Shoe
no more heroes 3 is 80 bucks, next month I guess

AnimeIsTrash
Jun 30, 2018

The 3rd one looks tight, it's supposed to be themed after Kamen Riders and Ultraman.

SmokaDustbowl
Feb 12, 2001

by vyelkin
Fun Shoe
no more heroes is like the one punch man game

shoeberto
Jun 13, 2020

which way to the MACHINES?
I'm afraid to replay NMH because I am not 18 anymore and am sure I will feel very differently about Travis than I did in 2007.

SmokaDustbowl
Feb 12, 2001

by vyelkin
Fun Shoe

shoeberto posted:

I'm afraid to replay NMH because I am not 18 anymore and am sure I will feel very differently about Travis than I did in 2007.

travis touchdown owns

haveblue
Aug 15, 2005

Toilet Rascal
moe~

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

AnimeIsTrash
Jun 30, 2018

shoeberto posted: