Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

shrike82
Jun 11, 2005

It's so weird looking at the limitations of the M1 ipads (slower thunderbolt, no native res for external displays etc) when you look at the m1 laptops

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

ijyt
Apr 10, 2012

My Gen 1 is six years and going strong, if my friend gets that sort of longevity out of it I'll be happy, the screen quality and pencil for art are really top notch, main reason I went for the M1 is the 1,000 nits brightness versus the 600 nits of the 3rd/4th gen.

Virtue
Jan 7, 2009

I've been running into this issue with increasing frequency over the last few months where my ipad pro (gen 1 or 2? the first 10.5 model) smart keyboard will stop responding until I physically disconnect and reconnect it. I assume it's a hardware problem at this point but before I throw in the towel and buy a new one has anyone run into this issue before?

Virtue fucked around with this message at 02:25 on Aug 12, 2021

Proteus Jones
Feb 28, 2013

Virtue posted:

I've been running into this issue with increasing frequency over the last few months where my ipad pro (gen 1 or 2? the first 10.5 model) smart keyboard will stop responding until I physically disconnect and reconnect it. I assume it's a hardware problem at this point but before I throw in the towel and buy a new one has anyone run into this issue before?

That's a weird one. Have you tried cleaning the contacts (on both devices) with a cotton swab and isopropyl alcohol? There may be a thin layer of grime and/or body oils coating the contacts.

Well Played Mauer
Jun 1, 2003

We'll always have Cabo
I had something similar happen. Sometimes jiggling it will help, but I got a few months of that before it completely died. I ended up getting a third party replacement that had a better keyboard.

stirlo
Aug 12, 2007
I’ve noticed it happen a few times in Safari only and it’s usually the webpage itself not sure how the hell it happens but if I’m able to use gestures or something else the keyboard is still plugged in perfectly fine, but the website is stealing the focus or something. Real weird, hard to replicate at all.

If I do work out any of the sites I’ll post them here if you want to try it out.

willroc7
Jul 24, 2006

BADGES? WE DON'T NEED NO STINKIN' BADGES!
I apologize if this has been asked a million times in the thread, but is the a recommended replacement screen source for an A1893 iPad or should I just roll the dice with whatever looks good on Amazon? TIA

ThermoPhysical
Dec 26, 2007

willroc7 posted:

I apologize if this has been asked a million times in the thread, but is the a recommended replacement screen source for an A1893 iPad or should I just roll the dice with whatever looks good on Amazon? TIA

iPad (2020), iPad Air 4, or wait to see if the iPad 2021 is good.

willroc7
Jul 24, 2006

So not even worth attempting to repair?

MarcusSA
Sep 23, 2007

willroc7 posted:

So not even worth attempting to repair?

Your self? No.

I’ve taken apart an iPad before and I don’t think I would even attempt that again. Everything is glued together real tight.

I’d just take it to the Apple store and have them do it or wait and see what’s coming up.

Macichne Leainig
Jul 26, 2012

by VG
Yeah I replaced an old iPad 2 screen way back when and that thing never looked the same since. Screen was never flush with the frame again. Don't think the thinner, newer iPads make that any better.

GoatSeeGuy
Dec 26, 2003

What if Jerome Walton made me a champion?

MarcusSA posted:

Your self? No.

I’ve taken apart an iPad before and I don’t think I would even attempt that again. Everything is glued together real tight.

I’d just take it to the Apple store and have them do it or wait and see what’s coming up.

I don't think Apple even messes with them aside from part recycling, even an iPad battery replacement is just a swap if I recall correctly.

ThermoPhysical
Dec 26, 2007

GoatSeeGuy posted:

I don't think Apple even messes with them aside from part recycling, even an iPad battery replacement is just a swap if I recall correctly.

Yeah, when I went to pick up the M1 iPad Pro 12.9 from the Apple store, I was told to just get AppleCare+ because Apple doesn't do anything with screen replacements on any iPad, they'll just swap and that's it. AC+ makes that process cheaper (or free in some cases).

FCKGW
May 21, 2006

willroc7 posted:

Do you need the LCD or just a digitizer?

iFixit generally is one of the better sources for parts in that they are new or as close to it, and generally free from any defects.
The cost of the LCD screen + the tools to unglue the screen and repair it will run you around $124
https://www.ifixit.com/Store/iPad/iPad-5-6-LCD/IF354-003?o=1

The process to unglue and gingerly remove the screen without damage is fairly complicated
https://www.ifixit.com/Guide/iPad+6+Wi-Fi+LCD+Replacement/106988

Meanwhile, a refurbished 32gb iPad 6th gen is going to cost you $229 with a 1 year Apple warranty
https://www.apple.com/shop/product/...ece76ad18e16eb2

If you have a 128gb model you're trying to fix then maybe the numbers make sense for you, but if it's a 32gb and we're talking a $100 difference between a Same-as-new iPad and one that's been glued back to together with parts that may or may not work exactly as before, I would spend the extra $100.

Even that model with bad screens are going for $70 for parts on eBay so you recoup most of that cost back as well.

FCKGW fucked around with this message at 05:38 on Aug 26, 2021

willroc7
Jul 24, 2006

FCKGW posted:

Do you need the LCD or just a digitizer?

iFixit generally is one of the better sources for parts in that they are new or as close to it, and generally free from any defects.
The cost of the LCD screen + the tools to unglue the screen and repair it will run you around $124
https://www.ifixit.com/Store/iPad/iPad-5-6-LCD/IF354-003?o=1

The process to unglue and gingerly remove the screen without damage is fairly complicated
https://www.ifixit.com/Guide/iPad+6+Wi-Fi+LCD+Replacement/106988

Meanwhile, a refurbished 32gb iPad 6th gen is going to cost you $229 with a 1 year Apple warranty
https://www.apple.com/shop/product/...ece76ad18e16eb2

If you have a 128gb model you're trying to fix then maybe the numbers make sense for you, but if it's a 32gb and we're talking a $100 difference between a Same-as-new iPad and one that's been glued back to together with parts that may or may not work exactly as before, I would spend the extra $100.

Even that model with bad screens are going for $70 for parts on eBay so you recoup most of that cost back as well.

Just a digitized and it is a 128gb. I guess I could give it a shot as I don’t have much to lose, as long as it’s not a huge amount of time to invest. Thanks for the detailed reply.

Wengy
Feb 6, 2008

Just ordered a 12.9 M1 Pro as a replacement for my sluggish 2016 Pro. I got the Magic Keyboard (no-brainer IMO), but am hesitant on the Pencil. Should I buy it too down the line or is it more of a gimmick? I’ve never used one.

inferis
Dec 30, 2003

Wengy posted:

Just ordered a 12.9 M1 Pro as a replacement for my sluggish 2016 Pro. I got the Magic Keyboard (no-brainer IMO), but am hesitant on the Pencil. Should I buy it too down the line or is it more of a gimmick? I’ve never used one.

I have a 12.9 iPad and magic keyboard which I use all the time, I never use the pencil but it’s fun and nice to use when I do. If you’re already hesitant you’re fine.

trilobite terror
Oct 20, 2007
BUT MY LIVELIHOOD DEPENDS ON THE FORUMS!

Wengy posted:

I think the pencil is a no-brainer accessory for any iPad in 2021, especially if you’re already spending $1k+ on a 12” Pro

Personally I’d go with the Pencil before the Magic Keyboard, but that’s me, I’m more of a “MacBook+iPad” person than “laptop replacement”

The Pencil is very very good. You’ll find uses for it if you get it, IMO

forest spirit
Apr 6, 2009

Frigate Hetman Sahaidachny
First to Fight Scuttle, First to Fall Sink

I couldn't imagine getting an iPad Pro and only "considering" getting the pencil after buying a magic keyboard. Procreate and Notability are so insanely useful it's hard to imagine an iPad without those apps. Even if you only use it for notes I consider it a no-brainer

I can't afford a magic keyboard, or rather, can't justify it. It would cost me 516$ taxes included to get one, which is frankly kinda nuts even as a professional accessory.

I bought my iPad used, got my apple pencil used, and I got my apple keyboard folio used. I got the pencil for 100$ (half price) in excellent condition and for the keyboard folio I snagged for 120$. The iPad is a 3rd gen 12.9 that I snagged for 650$. So in all, for my current school setup, it cost me 870$ cad total.

I'm not usually thrifty, but when I am, it's for apple poo poo.

inferis
Dec 30, 2003

why do you assume everyone is going to be drawing and taking handwritten notes?

forest spirit
Apr 6, 2009

Because it's easy to use and has been proven to help you remember and collate information the best, keyboard is good because you can get a sick WPM. For retention and digestion (having sorted notes vs paragraphs of text) pencil is better.

I have a keyboard, I would just say the pencil is a no-brainer investment.

inferis
Dec 30, 2003

I’m not taking notes though

xzzy
Mar 5, 2009

A non drawing use is is you do any music stuff, the pencil will be more precise for fiddling with all the dials and sliders that iOS music apps tend to include. You can do this with a mouse too but the pencil is more portable so there's upsides to both.

The pencil is not for everyone, that's for sure. But if you find a use case it's awesome.

Honj Steak
May 31, 2013

Hi there.
If you plan to use the iPad in any way as a creative device then the Pencil is a must. If you just use it for media consumption then it’s not necessary.

japtor
Oct 28, 2005
I should draw more but ultimately most of my Pencil use is drawing games or some quick sketches or annotations on pictures for work, or just dumb stuff.

If you're not sure but still kinda want to play with it there's knockoff ones without tilt or pressure sensitivity for under $20 I think. Like they're not capacitive styluses, they use whatever Pencil magic to work. Main drawback otherwise is that they don't have the inductive/magnetic charging, gotta plug in a USB-C cable for them to charge.

trilobite terror
Oct 20, 2007
BUT MY LIVELIHOOD DEPENDS ON THE FORUMS!

xzzy posted:

A non drawing use is is you do any music stuff, the pencil will be more precise for fiddling with all the dials and sliders that iOS music apps tend to include. You can do this with a mouse too but the pencil is more portable so there's upsides to both.

The pencil is not for everyone, that's for sure. But if you find a use case it's awesome.

In terms of precision input devices I vastly prefer the Pencil to a mouse

sourdough
Apr 30, 2012

inferis posted:

I’m not taking notes though

Same. I sometimes use it to scroll instead of my finger, and it's good for hitting the little precision X to close out bad popup ads, but it wasn't really worth the $130 for me.

inferis
Dec 30, 2003

sourdough posted:

Same. I sometimes use it to scroll instead of my finger, and it's good for hitting the little precision X to close out bad popup ads, but it wasn't really worth the $130 for me.

it’s a cool gadget and I don’t exactly regret buying it, but I think it should be very obvious to most people if they need it and if you’re on the fence you probably don’t. if you aren’t regularly drawing or writing with an actual pencil an Apple Pencil isn’t going to change that

Wengy
Feb 6, 2008

Thanks for all the input. I think I’ll have to give it a try, maybe I’ll find a gently used one.

Question Mark Mound
Jun 14, 2006

Tokyo Crystal Mew
Dancing Godzilla
As a counterpoint, my iPad Pro is mostly for videos, browsing the net and playing games. I bought a Pencil with it and it’s been basically entirely unused except for when I wanna be a tryhard in Jackbox games.

MarcusSA
Sep 23, 2007

Question Mark Mound posted:

As a counterpoint, my iPad Pro is mostly for videos, browsing the net and playing games. I bought a Pencil with it and it’s been basically entirely unused except for when I wanna be a tryhard in Jackbox games.

:same:

I really really don’t use it like at all.

forest spirit
Apr 6, 2009

Honj Steak posted:

If you plan to use the iPad in any way as a creative device then the Pencil is a must. If you just use it for media consumption then it’s not necessary.

Yeah, this is a much better point than mine. I did assume the thread would have posters who mostly use the iPad for work or school and not just as a movie/gaming/reading tablet

Wengy
Feb 6, 2008

I mostly use it to present slides, browse the web, take the occasional note and read stuff; I figure the pencil would be useful for the notes and annotations, and who knows, maybe also for embellishing my slides (I use Keynote).

Question Mark Mound
Jun 14, 2006

Tokyo Crystal Mew
Dancing Godzilla
I thought I’d use it for notes but turns out I type WAY faster than hand write.

Macichne Leainig
Jul 26, 2012

by VG

MarcusSA posted:

:same:

I really really don’t use it like at all.

Me neither. I don’t even use the keyboard all that often.

Might think about selling both accessories honestly.

priznat
Jul 7, 2009

Let's get drunk and kiss each other all night.
Yeah I got a pencil for my 12.9 pro and I hardly ever use it and regret getting it. The iPad is mostly a media consumption device so it’s not really something I have a use for. Very nice to use though, just rarely do.

George Kansas
Sep 1, 2008

preface all my posts with this
I don’t regret but pretty much all I use it for is taking notes (I type much faster but sometimes I really prefer handwriting for retention/organizing the notes) and PDF markup. I can’t say it’s really been worth the price for what little I use it for but it’s such a good device at what it does I don’t feel bad having it.

Well Played Mauer
Jun 1, 2003

We'll always have Cabo
Decided not to get the new pro and am sticking with my 10.5 for at least another year. I’ve been using it more than I had and for my purposes it’s not slowing down or really showing any major limitations, so figure better to save a grand and wait until I decide to completely ditch laptops.

That said, I think I’m gonna get a 1st gen pencil for this thing. I take a lot (a lot) of handwritten notes for work and I run a consulting agency, so I have a bunch of separate notebooks for each client, and it’s becoming unruly. Is there a clear winner when it comes to apps for note taking on the iPad?

Mostly what I’d like is an app that lets me organize notes by client, sort by date, maybe tag stuff, handwriting transcription/search, and maybe the ability to attach files/images. Cool with paying if the software is really good.

Google isn’t useful in this case, so hoping there’s a consensus among y’all, either positive or negative on apps to avoid.

inferis
Dec 30, 2003

The notes app

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Tetraptous
Nov 11, 2004

Dynamic instability during transition.
GoodNotes is also pretty good. It has a few more features than Apple notes, but the main two for me are the ability to import and annotate other documents and a pretty slick presentation mode (I use it for teaching as well as notetaking). It’s only $8, so not a big investment if you want to try it out. There’s a free Mac app that syncs with the iOS version, too, which is nice for organizing and exporting your notes.