Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

DELETE CASCADE
Oct 25, 2017

i haven't washed my penis since i jerked it to a phtotograph of george w. bush in 2003

fart simpson posted:

my best friend double majored in physics and math and then got a masters in math after that, and he worked retail at a secondhand phone store in boston for nearly a decade before finding an office job

i'd gladly interview that person for a six figgie programming job

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

dioxazine
Oct 14, 2004

fart simpson posted:

my best friend double majored in physics and math and then got a masters in math after that, and he worked retail at a secondhand phone store in boston for nearly a decade before finding an office job

what the hell. math majors make the figgies??

for physics, both bs in physics i knew became nurses. i imagine they wanted to Do Physics though

shoeberto
Jun 13, 2020

which way to the MACHINES?
Cheap rent talk: my first apartment in Dayton was $395/mo with heat included. This was 2010ish. Forget how much sqft, maybe 500? It was tight. I'm sure I annoyed the piss out of the neighbors with the constant weed smoke and drunken vomiting.

DELETE CASCADE
Oct 25, 2017

i haven't washed my penis since i jerked it to a phtotograph of george w. bush in 2003

bob dobbs is dead posted:

70% of salary goes into the ol vanguard and when the vanguard peeps call to ask how i wanna vote on poo poo i tell en to rely on the immortal science of marxism

i dont even know why they have the votes, nobody gives a poo poo

imo the votes are actually important. now i know what everyone says, it's all a formality, most of it isn't binding anyway, and you'll virtually never be wrong if you simply assume that all management proposals will pass and all shareholder proposals will fail. but consider the position of the major index fund managers. they own large amounts of all the public companies, but how can they exercise their influence? they can't sell the stock because it's in the index. if larry fink tries to tell some ceo what to do, why should the ceo listen? ultimately the votes are the only reason. so this is why stuff like engine no 1 matters

fart simpson
Jul 2, 2005

DEATH TO AMERICA
:xickos:

dioxazine posted:

for physics, both bs in physics i knew became nurses. i imagine they wanted to Do Physics though

we graduated in 2009 lol. hes doing fine now but it took a while

SmokaDustbowl
Feb 12, 2001

by vyelkin
Fun Shoe
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=AZlgBRokTCg

friday night

EIDE Van Hagar
Dec 8, 2000

Beep Boop

dioxazine posted:

i have a BS in physics and i used it to be a process engineer at a semiconductor fab for a few years before i got the masters (in electrical engineering, i do pre-silicon chip design stuff now).

understanding quantum mechanical things like what a band gap is and such was good for the process engineering stuff, my department did most of the doping for the transistors for threshold voltage control and stuff like that, things that can have a big effect on speed bins.

Fortaleza
Feb 21, 2008
Probation
Can't post for 3 hours!
My CS bachelor’s would’ve been ABET accredited so I would’ve been a Real Engineer had I finished it. But I didn’t. Oh well

fart simpson
Jul 2, 2005

DEATH TO AMERICA

i majored in music but knew a guy who got me in to a real job months after graduating so it all worked out

The Fool
Oct 16, 2003

I am a college drop-out and still make piggie level figgies

carry on then
Jul 10, 2010

by VideoGames

(and can't post for 10 years!)

Fortaleza posted:

My CS bachelor’s would’ve been ABET accredited so I would’ve been a Real Engineer had I finished it. But I didn’t. Oh well

mine is but i still don't feel like an engineer

the abet guy even told us he thought the program was really nice when he was doing the accreditation review

Broken Machine
Oct 22, 2010

Pollyanna posted:

frankly tech is insane enough these days that despite figgies being nice, i guess, figuring out your own life and what you want out of it should take priority

congrats on the better gig pollyanna :)

Stringent
Dec 22, 2004

image text goes here
man, if i ever have a yard with a tree in it i'm so totally doing this:

hbag
Feb 13, 2021

letting some script run overnight to calculate the md5 hashes of 30,000 things in a row
lets hope it works lol

bob dobbs is dead
Oct 8, 2017

I love peeps
Nap Ghost
30k md5 hashes is like 15 mins not overnight, depending in thing size, imagining music rn

hbag
Feb 13, 2021

bob dobbs is dead posted:

30k md5 hashes is like 15 mins not overnight

im also tired and going to bed

Kazinsal
Dec 13, 2011

hbag posted:

im also tired and going to bed

that's a first

rotor
Jun 11, 2001

classic case of pineapple derangement syndrome

Ellie Trashcakes posted:

Prior to my career as a computer toucher I was definitely in a space where it was quite a step up

yeah i think now it is, but in 10-20 years i think the field will be swamped and wages will fall.

Stringent
Dec 22, 2004

image text goes here

rotor posted:

yeah i think now it is, but in 10-20 years i think the field will be swamped and wages will fall.

even if they don't, a job that has programming as a means rather than the end sounds a hell of a lot more interesting.

alexandriao
Jul 20, 2019

Kazinsal posted:

that's a first

looks like the sleep deprivation is catching up with them :munch:

fart simpson
Jul 2, 2005

DEATH TO AMERICA

Stringent posted:

even if they don't, a job that has programming as a means rather than the end sounds a hell of a lot more interesting.

like devops? or accounting?

Archduke Frantz Fanon
Sep 7, 2004

hope u like coding in excel

lol

lmao

:smithicide:

cinci zoo sniper
Mar 15, 2013

Archduke Frantz Fanon posted:

lol

lmao

yeah. i work in accounting tech and even on that note a lot of it does start in excel. to be fair, it’s genuinely brilliant at what it achieves, but stuff like versioning and readability ranges from “mediocre” to “horrifying”

Captain Foo
May 11, 2004

we vibin'
we slidin'
we breathin'
we dyin'

lol

lmao

=CONCAT(“LOL”,” “,”LMAO”)

fart simpson
Jul 2, 2005

DEATH TO AMERICA

lol

lmao

a lot of people seem to dig it, op

Sagebrush
Feb 26, 2012

Horrible creatures.

Truman Peyote
Oct 11, 2006

DELETE CASCADE posted:

poli sci is such a useless loving major

I enjoyed studying it but I have to say I didn't learn poo poo about politics that was actually important or useful. might as well have called it cold war studies

AnimeIsTrash
Jun 30, 2018

If I had to redo college and we didn't live in a capitalist society I think i'd major in philosophy.

President Beep
Apr 30, 2009

i have to have a car because otherwise i cant drive around the country solving mysteries while being doggedly pursued by federal marshals for a crime i did not commit (9/11)
doesn’t excel get pretty shaky with big* datasets?

*I don’t know how to define this

FAT32 SHAMER
Aug 16, 2012

PIZZA.BAT posted:

every now and then i have to take time to appreciate how lucky i was to choose the path i went down. when i was wrapping up high school everyone said i was an idiot for getting into computers because it's all being outsourced and you're never gonna get a job a few years from now'

i did it anyways because i enjoyed it enough that i figured i wouldn't mind doing it as a job

I was in pharmacy school after my parents told me to not touch the computer, and dropped out after flunking a human dissection lab three times in a row (because it was gross and the opposite of why I went into loving pharmacy)

anyways my girlfriend/now wife told me I should just touch the computer and here I am

Captain Foo
May 11, 2004

we vibin'
we slidin'
we breathin'
we dyin'

Truman Peyote posted:

I enjoyed studying it but I have to say I didn't learn poo poo about politics that was actually important or useful. might as well have called it cold war studies

“international relations” from guys who worked at the Brookings institution and gave lectures at NATO

Truman Peyote
Oct 11, 2006

lol not at my school. we did have a guy who was an advisor to joe clark

Achmed Jones
Oct 16, 2004

i minored in poli sci and the classes i took for it were mostly rad. but i was a lil activist dude and since i wasnt majoring in it didnt have to take anything i didnt want to. minors were set up so you had to take 4 non-intro (i wanna say 300-level or above, but it might've been 200-level) classes. but my advisor hooked me up so i mostly skipped intro classes. and thats how you end up with four minors lol

hbag
Feb 13, 2021

i don't want to get out of bed

bump_fn
Apr 12, 2004

two of them

hbag posted:

i don't want to get out of bed

do you call dinner “tea”

hbag
Feb 13, 2021

bump_fn posted:

do you call dinner “tea”

yeah

President Beep
Apr 30, 2009

i have to have a car because otherwise i cant drive around the country solving mysteries while being doggedly pursued by federal marshals for a crime i did not commit (9/11)
do you have “tiffin”?

cinci zoo sniper
Mar 15, 2013

bump_fn posted:

do you call dinner “tea”

now we need to get our thread an elevenses cultist as well

hbag
Feb 13, 2021

woke up, checked on the DB, and the script did not, in fact, generate hashes for all of the entries
i mean it probably generated them but it sure as hell didnt insert them into the table

gfdi

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

endlessmonotony
Nov 4, 2009

by Fritz the Horse

hbag posted:

woke up, checked on the DB, and the script did not, in fact, generate hashes for all of the entries
i mean it probably generated them but it sure as hell didnt insert them into the table

gfdi

You told the system to generate hashes, not to save hashes.
Working as implemented.
Closing ticket.