Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.
(Thread IKs: Nuns with Guns)

Weyd
Nov 26, 2009
Everyone, please pour one out for the struggling landlords.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=7kn08azqUSU

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

ZenMasterBullshit
Nov 2, 2011

Restaurant de Nouvelles "À Table" Proudly Presents:
A Climactic Encounter Ending on 1 Negate and a Dream

JordanKai posted:

I hear One Piece gets better again after a few arcs but the first three-or-so storylines after the timeskip are so bad that I've never managed to muscle through them. At least I managed to pick up some of the basic story beats from the Pirate Warriors games. :v:

The time skip was largely a mistake and most of the things it gave us (Like more defined Haki) poo poo is utterly pointless and then it treads water for a few years of comics before figuring something fun out.

I still don't understand the point of Haki narratively. I don't need a system of rules and defined hierarchy to explain why Zoro is so strong he makes weaker men panic and flee or how he's so good at swords he can cut through things he shouldn't be able to. I know he can do that cause he's very strong and very good at swords. Same poo poo with Usopps stuff. I don't need a new separate power system to learn that He's Really Good At Shooting and Figuring Out Where People Are. Because I already know he's just good at shooting. And most of the time Haki's just slapped on to go "OH this villains Triple Super Scary". It's all just incredibly lazy shorthand most of the time.

Junpei Hyde posted:

Hody Jones was cool imo

He was fine. He wasn't actively annoying me and making me ignore the bits I liked like String Boy and Gas man

Jamie Faith posted:

Yeah Doflamingo is an amazing villain. I haven't gotten to Dressrosa yet but I can't imagine its anywhere near as bad as people say tbh

Doflamingo would be fun if the entire comics pacing didn't completely fall apart in his arc and his fight specifically. Given how loving little some members of the main cast (As you said earlier Nami and Robin are a big part of this) already get I'm not forgiving for having poo poo drag on in OP.

The time skips sub-par villains also hit me really roughly because we're constantly getting little snippets and bits of the older much more fun villains like Buggy or Crocodile so I'm constantly just annoyed because we could be seeing these fun and interesting guys instead of Yet Another Birdcage Chapter.

ZenMasterBullshit fucked around with this message at 17:59 on Aug 28, 2021

a cartoon duck
Sep 5, 2011

YggiDee posted:

I wonder a lot how much power editors have in the anime/manga industry, because sometimes I hear poo poo like "Akira Toriyama's editor phoned him and made fun of the androids and that's why the Cell Saga happened",

you hear about a lot of instances of manga authors having to change things because their editor said so, but i think that toriyama story that's just a case of him trusting the opinions of his former editors, and heck, he was right to because the first two androids were lame and the arc got better afterwards

as for oda, last i cared to check he was still friends with convicted pedophile nobuhiro watsuki, but then again all of shonen jump is guilty of associating with that guy

Acute Grill
Dec 9, 2011

Chomp

ZenMasterBullshit posted:

I still don't understand the point of Haki narratively. I don't need a system of rules and defined hierarchy to explain why Zoro is so strong he makes weaker men panic and flee or how he's so good at swords he can cut through things he shouldn't be able to. I know he can do that cause he's very strong and very good at swords. Same poo poo with Usopps stuff. I don't need a new separate power system to learn that He's Really Good At Shooting and Figuring Out Where People Are. Because I already know he's just good at shooting. And most of the time Haki's just slapped on to go "OH this villains Triple Super Scary". It's all just incredibly lazy shorthand most of the time.

Yeah, I know power levels are kind of a shonen anime staple, but I feel like the last thing you need to explain is why people can do impossible things with mundane weapons. I'm watching an action series, I know what I signed up for.

MiddleOne
Feb 17, 2011

I mean it's really just the old power-level cop-out. DBZ perfectly solved the question of how to have forever escalating stakes without having to be too creative about the fights themselves and that's why most shounens, no matter how much they initially intend to avoid it, eventually default back to it. One Piece being no exception, starting with a creative premise and then gradually (starting with the heaven arc) defaulting back more and more to power levels.

Oh crap Yusuke just beat the strongest demon ever by mastering spirit energy, how is anyone ever going to challenge him. Uh... Divine energy! Wait now how is he going to beat the villain. Uh... Demon energy! Literally the next arc it's just straight up power levels. Naruto did the same thing. Even shows which aren't really shounens can do it, like Code Geass for most of its last arc.

Exceptions are like Jojo (because it reboots before it ever gets there), Yugioh (because card games) and everything cooking/baking. There are no power levels in Yakitate Japan, only more bread.

MiddleOne fucked around with this message at 20:03 on Aug 28, 2021

RareAcumen
Dec 28, 2012

Acute Grill posted:

Yeah, I know power levels are kind of a shonen anime staple, but I feel like the last thing you need to explain is why people can do impossible things with mundane weapons. I'm watching an action series, I know what I signed up for.

By this point I was pretty down with whatever personally, yeah.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=XqK-ebrs1oo&t=63s

I think it's just Oda's running out of ideas and needed an explanation for how the heck anyone's going to beat the magma and light Admirals without an elemental Devil Fruit power of their own that counters it.

Garrand
Dec 28, 2012

Rhino, you did this to me!

Abigail bakes a cake
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=9MGUWtTakQc

KingKalamari
Aug 24, 2007

Fuzzy dice, bongos in the back
My ship of love is ready to attack

Yeah, I feel like that's part of a very weird trend shonen fighting series have that they eventually feel the need to relentlessly quantify and categorize the various strengths and abilities of its characters. Take a look at how hard the western DBZ fandom glommed on to the concept of "Power Levels", a concept Toriyama introduced specifically to illustrate how meaningless the idea of quantifying an opponent's power actually was.

It's kind of been there with the One Piece fandom for a while, just in different forms: Back during the early days of the Grand Line people were really big on using character's bounties as a mans of quantifying how strong they were. I also remember posting in a thread where people were coming up with ideas for Devil Fruit powers, and I proposed the Carp-Carp Fruit, ( This was way before Kaido's Devil Fruit power was revealed ) that let the user turn into a carp but, because this was a Devil Fruit, they couldn't actually go into water and make use of their carp form. The actual benefit was that, in keeping with the myth of the carp and the Chinese Dragon Gate, the fruit also bestowed upon its user the fighting spirit of a dragon. And after I posted this there was one guy who was all "Oh, so it, like, grants a boost to Haki or something like that?" and all I could think was "No, it's a stupid nonsense power that runs on folklore logic, it doesn't need to have quantifiable mechanics associated with it!"

It's an idea that seems to scratch an engineer brain itch a lot of nerds have, so I don't think it's going away any time soon.

NikkolasKing
Apr 3, 2010

I just figured it was the only way to explain how the world functions.

Without Haki, somebody like Eneru could lay waste to pretty much everything and nobody could stop him. You need to explain how people without super rare Devil Fruits can keep the world running and stop mad Logias from demolishing most of the World Government if they felt like it.

Gwen
Aug 17, 2011

haki is dumb but if you think dressrosa is paced badly I genuinely don't understand your perspective. I guess I get not liking the birdcage but it's just an excuse for the emotion behind yet another kickass collective action OP pay off imo.

Srice
Sep 11, 2011

Thinking about how that most recent One Piece movie basically had a Broly-like antagonist whose Haki was maximum and thus could take out some of the strongest people around even before he used his devil fruit powers.

Solitair
Feb 18, 2014

TODAY'S GONNA BE A GOOD MOTHERFUCKIN' DAY!!!

KingKalamari posted:

Back during the early days of the Grand Line people were really big on using character's bounties as a mans of quantifying how strong they were.

My favorite thing about the bounty stuff is when it's wildly inaccurate to how much of a threat a character actually is (Chopper, Buggy, Blackbeard).

dbzfandiego
Sep 17, 2011

NikkolasKing posted:

I just figured it was the only way to explain how the world functions.

Without Haki, somebody like Eneru could lay waste to pretty much everything and nobody could stop him. You need to explain how people without super rare Devil Fruits can keep the world running and stop mad Logias from demolishing most of the World Government if they felt like it.

They could just punch Logia with their spirit without it being its own distinct power nonsense.

Lotus Aura
Aug 16, 2009

KNEEL BEFORE THE WICKED KING!

KingKalamari posted:

It's kind of been there with the One Piece fandom for a while, just in different forms: Back during the early days of the Grand Line people were really big on using character's bounties as a mans of quantifying how strong they were.

Like the DBZ power level thing, though, this is specifically a thing that is done in One Piece itself as well. And like with Power Levels, it's only ever done by the bad guys in one specific arc.

Unlike DBZ, though, Oda messed up and undercut it. By having it so the bad guys in Jaya learn that, no, actually Luffy's Bounty is bigger than Bellamy's and then have him get bodied in one punch it kinda ends up sending the message that Bounties are Power Levels. So, it's not really much of a stretch (heh) when the text actively supported that reading when it proposed the idea. There have since been things that shoots it down very thoroughly, of course, though.

RareAcumen
Dec 28, 2012

Srice posted:

Thinking about how that most recent One Piece movie basically had a Broly-like antagonist whose Haki was maximum and thus could take out some of the strongest people around even before he used his devil fruit powers.

Hulk 4ever staying popular.

Insurrectionist
May 21, 2007
Even if fans were trying to rank One Piece characters on their bounties before it was still a much better solution than Haki in a lot of ways because it was all obviously built off of imperfect information. Oda got a lot of comedy out of them and the information was frequently misleading to either the protagonists or antagonists. It was also a much more fun system. The main drawback to it of course being that any character on the right side of the law never got bounties of their own. Although honestly it could be easily fixed by having pirate-issued bounties on world government-affiliated characters instead.

Haki is definitely very dumb.

ZenMasterBullshit
Nov 2, 2011

NikkolasKing posted:

No you don't. If someone without a devil fruit can beat up a person with devil fruit through skill and technique alone then that's why. Haki just puts an unnecessary layer of pointless power level wanking to it. There's no logical or thematic benefit between "Character X can beat Character Y's Fruit Defense because he's come up with something clever/he's just that good" and "Character X can beat Character Y's Fruit Defense because he was born with the correct type of Rules Power". There's is a big loving downside to it where now all the characters that were cool because they were just good at what they did or smart with what they did and stood against all these magic fruit having godkings are now basically the same because they also just happened to get the secret powers and that's what makes them strong.

You gain nothing from this but you gently caress up any idea that someone in the universe could get somewhere through dedication or skill alone. All to turn the fantastical and the magical into something strictly defined and mundane. It's dogshit.

It's also pointless if used in the reason you're talking about because they already introduced a magic type of rock that just fucks up fruit uses completely. If you really had to explain why zoro could do something just give him a sword with the sea stone in it.

ZenMasterBullshit fucked around with this message at 22:16 on Aug 28, 2021

Jimbot
Jul 22, 2008

Sanji's first wanted poster will never not be funny. Same with the little storyline that spawned from it.

Junpei Hyde
Mar 15, 2013

Observation haki is cool conqueror haki loving sucks

Gwen
Aug 17, 2011

if everyone could get haki and armament haki were more than just punch everything harder than no one would complain about anything but conqueror haki which sucks and is bad on every level

Fabricated
Apr 9, 2007

Living the Dream
The idea of Haki was pretty clearly in the story from a fairly early period but it mostly just feels like a way to give people the ability to hit Logia- after Oda probably realized that intentionally making Logia overpowered by having them be almost incorporeal unless you strike their elemental weakness was a bad idea.

Gwen
Aug 17, 2011

i don't care if oda had it planned or not shanks staring down a monster fish after getting his arm bitten off being enough for it to back off is substantially less meaningful, cool, and sensical if that was conquerors haki

DeafNote
Jun 4, 2014

Only Happy When It Rains
All this talk about powerlevels reminds me of Shaman King and its Mana system.
I did like the idea of Mana basically being MP, and you only lost what you put into your spirits who themselves had a different level of power.
But the fun of the system kinda went out the window when they just tossed a million-calibre boss into a pool of people barely averaging over 10000.
In a way I am glad DBZ got rid of it eventually.

Skippy McPants
Mar 19, 2009

Weyd posted:

Everyone, please pour one out for the struggling landlords.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=7kn08azqUSU

Love that this guy wants so badly for people to empathize with his struggles, but his loving ego won't let'um take his picture without his loving private jet in the frame.

Nuns with Guns
Jul 23, 2010

It's fine.
Don't worry about it.
Everyone ready to suffer through learning about all the weird poo poo in the D tier Chronicles of Narnia books?

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=HltXrWr_vNs

RareAcumen
Dec 28, 2012

Nuns with Guns posted:

Everyone ready to suffer through learning about all the weird poo poo in the D tier Chronicles of Narnia books?

I think I saw someone on SA with that snake avatar. Is that seriously from one of the Narnia books?

Sam Faust
Feb 20, 2015

RareAcumen posted:

I think I saw someone on SA with that snake avatar. Is that seriously from one of the Narnia books?

no

Ghostlight
Sep 25, 2009

maybe for one second you can pause; try to step into another person's perspective, and understand that a watermelon is cursing me

that's xcom

Fil5000
Jun 23, 2003

HOLD ON GUYS I'M POSTING ABOUT INTERNET ROBOTS

Nuns with Guns posted:

I'm kind of surprised that Dom has covered The Silver Chair now but without any mention of the 80s BBC adaptation. Admittedly it's not the greatest thing the beeb ever did but it DID have Tom Baker in it so you know. That's something.

nine-gear crow
Aug 10, 2013

Ghostlight posted:

that's xcom

baby

Yardbomb
Jul 11, 2011

What's with the eh... bretonnian dance, sir?

If we had to get haki, should've just made it like a sudden reaction to one of the huge events or something, that sounds cooler to me anyway. I don't know when or how exactly would've been good, but say that something in the world came-to after a more world shaking type event and that everyone got a little bit out of it or something like that, I dunno, when Blackbeard gets to double up, have him start swinging around the crazy power combo harder than he could totally control yet and something in the nature of the world just cracks as a result. And yeah haki came about way earlier than that moment, but I don't know man, somewhere would've been better than it just coming out as always having been there.

Jimbot
Jul 22, 2008

Haki is a worse version of Nen.

Junpei Hyde
Mar 15, 2013

Jimbot posted:

Haki is a worse version of Nen.

This is impressive when you consider than nen is already very bad

The Chad Jihad
Feb 24, 2007

Theyre both better than elemental chakra at least

The Chad Jihad fucked around with this message at 17:55 on Aug 29, 2021

ZenMasterBullshit
Nov 2, 2011

Junpei Hyde posted:

This is impressive when you consider than nen is already very bad

I'm sorry this is wrong.

MiddleOne
Feb 17, 2011

Finally proof that season 1 of Pokemon is the superior anime.

Junpei Hyde
Mar 15, 2013

I'm sorry this is wrong.

It's actually correct.

We have now had the anime debate. See you this time next week.

Arc Hammer
Mar 4, 2013

Got any deathsticks?

MiddleOne posted:

Finally proof that season 1 of Pokemon is the superior anime.

James is all the proof you need that Pokemon is the superior anime.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=I5CSb1GguiE

What other character could convince a Koffing to give someone a slut makeover.

sirtommygunn
Mar 7, 2013

Nen is cool as like a tabletop rpg rules explanation for why everyone has different but mostly balanced powers and extremely bad as a system you need to understand in order to follow an anime fight.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

ZenMasterBullshit
Nov 2, 2011

sirtommygunn posted:

Nen is cool as like a tabletop rpg rules explanation for why everyone has different but mostly balanced powers and extremely bad as a system you need to understand in order to follow an anime fight.

Good thing the only bits you really need to understand in any given fight are those characters specific styles.