Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

hbag
Feb 13, 2021

endlessmonotony posted:

You told the system to generate hashes, not to save hashes.
Working as implemented.
Closing ticket.

Python code:
        for row in dbRows:
            image_path = str(row[1])
            image_md5 = grabhash(image_path)
            cursor.execute('UPDATE imagetable SET md5 = %(hash)s WHERE path = %(path)s;', {'hash':image_md5, 'path':image_path})
hmm no

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

cinci zoo sniper
Mar 15, 2013

hbag posted:

woke up, checked on the DB, and the script did not, in fact, generate hashes for all of the entries
i mean it probably generated them but it sure as hell didnt insert them into the table

gfdi

constant null column is functionally equivalent to using md5 in 2021. i don’t see the problem here

KidDynamite
Feb 11, 2005

watched Blade Runner 2049 for the first time. that movie is rad.

bob dobbs is dead
Oct 8, 2017

I love peeps
Nap Ghost
hoping villanueves dune sells enough to finish off the first book in the second movie

hbag
Feb 13, 2021

oh gdi i just now realized it probably thinks that semicolon is part of the path

Sagebrush
Feb 26, 2012

hbag posted:

oh gdi i just now realized it probably thinks that semicolon is part of the path

can we at least keep it to a PROG 102 level in here

hbag
Feb 13, 2021

Sagebrush posted:

can we at least keep it to a PROG 102 level in here

counter-offer: a frog 1 & 2 level

look at em go

KidDynamite
Feb 11, 2005

bob dobbs is dead posted:

hoping villanueves dune sells enough to finish off the first book in the second movie

i've never read dune but I'm on board for more villeneuve. sicario and br2049 are very very good movies.

bob dobbs is dead
Oct 8, 2017

I love peeps
Nap Ghost
arrival is his best imo

endlessmonotony
Nov 4, 2009

by Fritz the Horse

hbag posted:

look at em go

I can't look at them go this is a still image. :colbert:

rotor
Jun 11, 2001

classic case of pineapple derangement syndrome

endlessmonotony posted:

they're going, that's just what they do

Achmed Jones
Oct 16, 2004

frogs are cool

really animals in general own. there are exceptions like chimps and fleas and scorpions though

Sagebrush
Feb 26, 2012

hbag posted:

look at em go

okay, i will accept this.

endlessmonotony posted:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=So4c5bcRSn0

shoeberto
Jun 13, 2020

which way to the MACHINES?

President Beep posted:

doesn’t excel get pretty shaky with big* datasets?

*I don’t know how to define this

lol

akadajet
Sep 14, 2003

I remember in my first job being told by multiple people that we should be using oracle instead of sql server because sql server “isn’t good with lots of data”.

hbag
Feb 13, 2021

stepdad just found the eric andre show on the plex server
apparently he'd never heard of eric andre before and he fuckin loves it

Pittsburgh Fentanyl Cloud
Apr 7, 2003

hbag posted:

he started out by banging your mom and now he's watching all your TV shows. very rude.

cinci zoo sniper
Mar 15, 2013

President Beep posted:

doesn’t excel get pretty shaky with big* datasets?

*I don’t know how to define this

not quite. what can get excel deadlocked, even a modern x64 release (which are far from ubiquitous) is the computational complexity. excel file, imo, can be understood as a pile of zipped xmls. the other problem is that it’s single-threaded. the second you’re doing anything recursive or involving nested loops, or elaborate vba macros, god forbid, you can easily grind it to standstill even with a modest dataset on a serious hpc workstation. actual single file limit is like 16 mil records of 32k chars each - ive yet to see anything hitting even 10% of that and i worked for multiple financial multinationals with excel spreadsheets used as one of the primary breadwinners

cinci zoo sniper fucked around with this message at 22:44 on Aug 28, 2021

AnimeIsTrash
Jun 30, 2018

hbag posted:

You should introduce him to space ghost coast to coast.

President Beep
Apr 30, 2009

i have to have a car because otherwise i cant drive around the country solving mysteries while being doggedly pursued by federal marshals for a crime i did not commit (9/11)

akadajet posted:

I remember in my first job being told by multiple people that we should be using oracle instead of sql server because sql server “isn’t good with lots of data”.

ah, the ol’ “don’t use pennzoil! it’ll make your engine lock up!” school of thought.

cinci zoo sniper posted:

not quite. what can get excel deadlocked, even a modern x64 release (which are far from ubiquitous) is the computational complexity. excel file, imo, can be understood as a pile of zipped xmls. the other problem is that it’s single-threaded. the second you’re doing anything recursive or involving nested loops, or elaborate vba macros, god forbid, you can easily grind it to standstill even with a modest dataset on a serious hpc workstation. actual single file limit is like 16 mil records of 32k chars each - ive yet to see anything hitting even 10% of that and i worked for multiple financial multinationals with excel spreadsheets used as one of the primary breadwinners

ty. I appreciate this.

rotor
Jun 11, 2001

classic case of pineapple derangement syndrome
excel is actually super good software y'all

alexandriao
Jul 20, 2019

bob dobbs is dead posted:

arrival is his best imo

wait that was him??

hbag
Feb 13, 2021

c saturday s:

pizza time

alexandriao
Jul 20, 2019

Did nobody see the UK government lose COVID19 data because they kept it in Excel???

Apr 7, 2003

alexandriao posted:

Did nobody see the UK government lose COVID19 data because they kept it in Excel???

They didn't want to release the data because it was too harrowing so they made some funny poo poo up, hth

alexandriao
Jul 20, 2019

c life s: I went to a queer meet today and honestly, seeing like 25-30 local people all just jamming and being themselves was so, so incredibly healing and powerful. Holy poo poo

I had a similar feeling when I went to a hackathon (lol) as a teen tbh

hbag
Feb 13, 2021

Pittsburgh Fentanyl Cloud posted:

They didn't want to release the data because it was too harrowing so they made some funny poo poo up, hth

no, "funny poo poo" would be saying that boris accidentally destroyed the server racks while rugby tackling a small asian child

alexandriao
Jul 20, 2019

lol

cinci zoo sniper
Mar 15, 2013

rotor posted:

excel is actually super good software y'all

oh, i wholly agree with that. excel is by far the most successful coding platform to ever exist, with decades of backwards compatibility and low enough entry barrier that freshly minted higschoolers can hit the ground running in a month or two. it does deserve flak for still not implanting any semblance of version control etiquette onto business people, but that’s a tough problem to solve. i know some pure swes scoff at it, but as a ds guy sitting between business and engineering ive grown to appreciate it (especially after i tried teaching analytical programming to a few business analysts)

cinci zoo sniper
Mar 15, 2013

hbag posted:

no, "funny poo poo" would be saying that boris accidentally destroyed the server racks while rugby tackling a small asian child

david cameron hosed a dead ONS server

hbag
Feb 13, 2021

in college (UK sixth form college not university college) i got taught how to do database poo poo with fuckin microsoft access lmao

Apr 7, 2003

hbag posted:

in college (UK sixth form college not university college) i got taught how to do database poo poo with fuckin microsoft access lmao

I built a system for the United States' largest retail chemical distributor to track DEA list II chemicals and paperwork in Microsoft Access over a decade ago and from what I've been told it's still being used.

alexandriao
Jul 20, 2019

Personal Databases should be revived imo

https://computer.rip/2021-04-03-use-computers-to-store-data.html

AnimeIsTrash
Jun 30, 2018

Pittsburgh Fentanyl Cloud posted:

I built a system for the United States' largest retail chemical distributor to track DEA list II chemicals and paperwork in Microsoft Access over a decade ago and from what I've been told it's still being used.

This is unrelated but half the IRS's codebase is still in Fortran. I know a dude whos entire job is porting Fortran to a something "more modern" aka c++.

My dad used to work on NOAA satellites and their main coder retired. They had to hire him at contractor rate because no one else knew Ada.

graph
Nov 22, 2006

aaag peanuts

AnimeIsTrash posted:

If I had to redo college and we didn't live in a capitalist society I think i'd major in philosophy.

if i had to redo everything i'm going commercial hvac

Jonny 290
May 5, 2005

[ASK] me about OS/2 Warp
commercial electrician here

AnimeIsTrash
Jun 30, 2018

cls: Went out and bought some of the lid organizers, after organizing some stuff I now have an free shelf in the kitchen. :toot:

hbag
Feb 13, 2021

trying to figure out whats going wrong in this script is a real pain in the rear end when each time i run it, it takes like an hour because of how much poo poo's in the database

Achmed Jones
Oct 16, 2004

my parents are both electricians, it's a pretty good gig. kinda dangerous, but it could be a lot worse

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Apr 7, 2003

AnimeIsTrash posted:

This is unrelated but half the IRS's codebase is still in Fortran. I know a dude whos entire job is porting Fortran to a something "more modern" aka c++.

My dad used to work on NOAA satellites and their main coder retired. They had to hire him at contractor rate because no one else knew Ada.

Fortran + Cobol on mainframes is rock solid because it's got 50+ years of testing in many business environments

Can't really replace that, and that's why we're still using it.