Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

fart simpson
Jul 2, 2005

DEATH TO AMERICA
:xickos:

Pittsburgh Fentanyl Cloud posted:

This was literally a manufacture talking point in the US until we remembered that even with enhanced unemployment we’re still too poor for kids. Lol

three of my friends gave birth just in july

e: four

fart simpson fucked around with this message at 02:48 on Aug 29, 2021

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Pittsburgh Fentanyl Cloud
Apr 7, 2003
Probation
Can't post for 5 hours!

fart simpson posted:

three of my friends gave birth just in july

My brother just had a kid two weeks ago and he's draining his savings because his wife (a kindergarten teacher) won't be working for four months and they've got nothing in place to pay her despite her being unionized. idk wtf.

fart simpson
Jul 2, 2005

DEATH TO AMERICA

Pittsburgh Fentanyl Cloud posted:

My brother just had a kid two weeks ago and he's draining his savings because his wife (a kindergarten teacher) won't be working for four months and they've got nothing in place to pay her despite her being unionized. idk wtf.

cool union

fart simpson
Jul 2, 2005

DEATH TO AMERICA

i have about $10 a month withheld from my paycheck for “maternity insurance”

graph
Nov 22, 2006

aaag peanuts

Video Nasty posted:

My mother constantly bothered me about having children

the

'when are you having a kid'
'never'
'hee hee youre just not ready yet :) ;) '

conversations finally stopped about two years ago

e: so now i get updates about a cousin i havent talked to in 10 years and their two kids instead

graph fucked around with this message at 02:55 on Aug 29, 2021

graph
Nov 22, 2006

aaag peanuts

public teacher unions have been sabotaged from the inside on purpose for the last 25 years

AnimeIsTrash
Jun 30, 2018

c late j s: Our team chud got tired of people ignoring him from another team so he went straight to their manager. The other has now very politely told my team lead that they no longer need help.

Pittsburgh Fentanyl Cloud
Apr 7, 2003
Probation
Can't post for 5 hours!

graph posted:

public teacher unions have been sabotaged from the inside on purpose for the last 25 years

She teaches at the school I went to as a kid and she's making $43K a year to teach despite holding a masters.

My brother manages IT poo poo at Bloomsburg University and makes $53K.

Very cool

One of my other brothers worked for Geisinger Health Plan and just jumped ship from a $65K job to make $105K as a consultant. 100% remote.

eschaton
Mar 7, 2007

Don't you just hate when you wind up in a store with people who are in a socioeconomic class that is pretty obviously about two levels lower than your own?

Pollyanna posted:

yep :yotj:

accepted an offer to work at google

bit unsure of what my work life balance will look like now :negative: but it’s in an interesting problem domain (networking on google’s WAN) and that’s far better than anything related to insurance

congratulations!

must be new figgies month, I know several people getting new and interesting jobs

Captain Foo
May 11, 2004

we vibin'
we slidin'
we breathin'
we dyin'

Jonny 290 posted:

there was a girl in our rave kid circle who openly yelled "all i wanna do is get knocked up" and my brother hooked up with her for a couple months and i was like, dear god, don't get stupid dude

fortunately he figured out what was up. he has a nice gf now and they have no kids and they seem happy so at least one branch of my family tree was successful

it's u

Captain Foo
May 11, 2004

we vibin'
we slidin'
we breathin'
we dyin'

graph posted:

the

'never'

e: so now i get updates about a cousin i havent talked to in 10 years and their two kids instead

i bluntly tell my family we're not having kids and i will escalate if someone tries to insinuate we don't want but my whole family is east coast liberals v0v

Captain Foo
May 11, 2004

we vibin'
we slidin'
we breathin'
we dyin'

Pollyanna posted:

yep :yotj:

accepted an offer to work at google

bit unsure of what my work life balance will look like now :negative: but it’s in an interesting problem domain (networking on google’s WAN) and that’s far better than anything related to insurance

cool rear end problem domain and stack paper

Kazinsal
Dec 13, 2011

I would love to work on some big-rear end WANs but I fuckin hate being on call. especially if it was for some big CDN where if I’m getting a phone call it means half the world can’t reach some giant social media platform or whatever

fuuuuuuck that

Sniep
Mar 28, 2004

All I needed was that fatty blunt...

King of Breakfast

Kazinsal posted:

I would love to work on some big-rear end WANs but I fuckin hate being on call. especially if it was for some big CDN where if I’m getting a phone call it means half the world can’t reach some giant social media platform or whatever

fuuuuuuck that

the lower ranks of cdn support roles let you go home and not be on call, but once you get to like, a service manager position or dedicated client support of course your cell is in their cell etc.

i mean you can still make ok money without being on call but not great, and i dont think anywhere in the hierarchy you'll make GREAT money until you branch off and either do solutions eng/eng support etc type stuff for the hard complex stuff

also: they're hiring. if you can show proficiency in a linux and know how http works and the layers 1-3, 7 of hte OSI model, then you're good to go

DELETE CASCADE
Oct 25, 2017

i haven't washed my penis since i jerked it to a phtotograph of george w. bush in 2003
i'd be fine with being on call as long as i'm not expected to be sober. i mean, i'll answer my phone, you'll get a reply. will the reply be correct? idk, how late is it?

SmokaDustbowl
Feb 12, 2001

by vyelkin
Fun Shoe
wow the biggest pig I've ever seen is getting the move-along on some junkies outside

SmokaDustbowl
Feb 12, 2001

by vyelkin
Fun Shoe
they narcanned them and put them in a police van

SmokaDustbowl
Feb 12, 2001

by vyelkin
Fun Shoe
probably gonna get starlighted

SmokaDustbowl
Feb 12, 2001

by vyelkin
Fun Shoe
gettin the night ruining quad

eschaton
Mar 7, 2007

Don't you just hate when you wind up in a store with people who are in a socioeconomic class that is pretty obviously about two levels lower than your own?

rotor posted:

"follow your passion!" is the shittiest possible career advice unless you're independently wealthy

I think you mean until you’re independently wealthy

EIDE Van Hagar
Dec 8, 2000

Beep Boop

hbag posted:

i don't want to get out of bed

same.

sigh,

same.

very much same.

extremely same, etc.

gently caress.

gently caress'n'suck'n'gently caress

saassaaaaaaeeemmmmmmmmeeeeeeessee

EIDE Van Hagar
Dec 8, 2000

Beep Boop
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ElKHOoEK6O0

Fortaleza
Feb 21, 2008

Got an aunt and uncle visiting for a few days and they’re in their 60s so bedtimes and wake up times have been super reasonable lately

AnimeIsTrash
Jun 30, 2018

https://youtu.be/HeEcEqHSI8k

cinci zoo sniper
Mar 15, 2013

President Beep posted:

nah, that’s way in the future, if ever.

i guess i did misinterpret some past post of yours then

Jonny 290
May 5, 2005

[ASK] me about OS/2 Warp
boooooo my system ssd died after like 9 months tonight?

anyways ordered a 980 pro and i'll RMA this and idk put it in an enclosure or something

bob dobbs is dead
Oct 8, 2017

I love peeps
Nap Ghost

eschaton posted:

I think you mean until you’re independently wealthy

outside of figgieland doin figgie jobs (altho not just tech) this doesnt really exist and most peeps independently wealthy inherited that poo poo and are now studiously pretending they didnt

bump_fn
Apr 12, 2004

two of them
in the uk you get six months paid leave and then you can take up to another six months at half pay iirc

not the best compared to europe but lol at comparing. to the usa

cinci zoo sniper
Mar 15, 2013

bump_fn posted:

in the uk you get six months paid leave and then you can take up to another six months at half pay iirc

not the best compared to europe but lol at comparing. to the usa

litthuania offers

126 days paid maternal leave @ 80%
30 days paid paternal leave @ 80%

and a joint parental leave that is

1 year @ 80%
or 2 years at 50% and 30% respectively, with optional third year with no earnings replacement, but with workforce entitlement protections intact

fart simpson
Jul 2, 2005

DEATH TO AMERICA

cinci zoo sniper posted:

litthuania offers

126 days paid maternal leave @ 80%
30 days paid paternal leave @ 80%

and a joint parental leave that is

1 year @ 80%
or 2 years at 50% and 30% respectively, with optional third year with no earnings replacement, but with workforce entitlement protections intact

china offers 98 days at 100% as a base minimum and different places are allowed to extend that. shenzhen where i live mandates an additional 80 days, so 178

only 2 weeks of paternity leave tho

cinci zoo sniper
Mar 15, 2013

a thing that's often glossed over with european welfare is payment caps. sometimes they are good (63k/year unemployment assistance cap in latvia, where minimum salary is 430 euro/month), sometimes they are bad (58k/year unemployment assisstance cap in luxembourg, where minimum salary is 2100 euro/year)

bump_fn
Apr 12, 2004

two of them

bump_fn
Apr 12, 2004

two of them
https://twitter.com/OddPittsburgh/status/1431255649829236736

President Beep
Apr 30, 2009

i have to have a car because otherwise i cant drive around the country solving mysteries while being doggedly pursued by federal marshals for a crime i did not commit (9/11)

:prepop:

prefect
Sep 11, 2001

No one, Woodhouse.
No one.

Dead Man’s Band

nothing sounds more racist than those weird loanwords or whatever they're called ("pinku")

Cold on a Cob
Feb 6, 2006

i've seen so much, i'm going blind
and i'm brain dead virtually

College Slice

graph posted:

the

'never'

i'm extremely glad i didn't have to put up with that poo poo at home. my Mom and Dad believed me right from the beginning when i said i didn't want kids

i've actually had more poo poo from total strangers about it than friends and family. absolute worst was a nurse who went on about how much better my life would be with children, she finally shut up when i told her i had a vasectomy already lol.

bump_fn
Apr 12, 2004

two of them
can the mods please change toris name to Pittsubagu Fentanyl Cloud

President Beep
Apr 30, 2009

i have to have a car because otherwise i cant drive around the country solving mysteries while being doggedly pursued by federal marshals for a crime i did not commit (9/11)
Tori! Tori! Tori!

Captain Foo
May 11, 2004

we vibin'
we slidin'
we breathin'
we dyin'

c cjs s: just bought a 32" curved monitor

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Cat Face Joe
Feb 20, 2005