Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

sebmojo
Oct 23, 2010

Legit Cyberpunk

Gonna finish kingmaker, 160 hours in, just hit my first fight I can't roll over in ages at that dickheads palace strap in an buff up lads we're going turn based

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Buller
Nov 6, 2010
Im gonna try the roguelike mode.

Buck Wildman
Mar 30, 2010

I am Metango, Galactic Governor

JamMasterJim posted:

yes, one involving elves.
Optional and can kill them all faster.

release the dwarves

Memnaelar
Feb 21, 2013

WHO is the goodest girl?
Commander's Pack seems like it's a lot of extra cash for not much if you're not feeling the soundtrack/artbook. Anyone feel like those extras plus a handful of additional items that'll probably be out-powered after 10 hours are worth the extra $20 or so?

sebmojo
Oct 23, 2010

Legit Cyberpunk

Also if you just want to give owlcat more money? Overall pfkm is really fuckin good, particularly in their willingness to push past their ropey start.

Buck Wildman
Mar 30, 2010

next stop: reign of winter adaptation

Buck Wildman
Mar 30, 2010

theorycrafting the perfect anti-romanov build

Goofballs
Jun 2, 2011

Buck Wildman posted:

DnD Lenin is Scroll Savant

Chevy Slyme
May 2, 2004

We're Gonna Run.

We're Gonna Crawl.

Kick Down Every Wall.

Buck Wildman posted:

next stop: reign of winter adaptation

I want this so badly. Rasputin must die.

Memnaelar
Feb 21, 2013

WHO is the goodest girl?
Don't mean to volunteer anyone else to do more work but is someone going to make a distinct OP for Wrath of the Righteous with links for noobs and what-not?

Hiveminded
Aug 26, 2014
I heard some stuff about mythic paths influencing companion and story interactions to a pretty big degree, beyond the very advertised piss-off-everybody ones like Lich and Swarm. I was thinking of trying to make some kind of Angel Oracle-Mystic Theurge gish build, but what I've read/seen of the Angel unique dialogue and choices so far makes the path seem pretty cookie-cutter. Which is to be expected from Angel, yeah, but now I'm wondering if the other non-Lich/Swarm paths give entertaining or interesting-enough story impacts to be better for a first playthrough? Stuff like, apparently, a very different romance path with Sosiel if you go Demon -- anything else unique or transformative like that?

Blockhouse
Sep 7, 2014

You Win!

Buck Wildman posted:

I have some bad news about Reign of Winter

Buck Wildman
Mar 30, 2010

I'm doing angel first specifically because I suspect it'll be the most generic

Blockhouse posted:

I have some bad news about Reign of Winter

anything is possible with the power of your imagination

Buck Wildman
Mar 30, 2010

I'm an eat your veggies first kinda guy, I do the paths more appealing to me later

I'm probably most interested in Aeon

Khanstant
Apr 5, 2007

Memnaelar posted:

Ugh. This thread is going to excite me into a pre-order, even knowing how the last game was at launch. Clearly, they've learned lessons since their first go-round, right? I still haven't finished Kingmaker but I'm way more excited about the content in Righteous... *sigh* Here we go.

I pre-ordered thinking I'd still wait a while before getting into the polished version but now I'm thinking I push through the last Act or whatever I've got left in Kingmaker and then jump directly into this.

Torrannor
Apr 27, 2013

---FAGNER---
TEAM-MATE
It usually takes me a long time to play through big CRPGs, and I've only played untilcapturing Drezen in the beta once, so Owlcat will have quite some time to fix/patch the later parts of the campaign before I will get to those.

Memnaelar
Feb 21, 2013

WHO is the goodest girl?
The way I'm justifying it to myself is that this may be one of the few RPGs I play through multiple times as I love the Mythic power fantasies this one encourages and really can't justify going Trickster until a second playthrough.

Nissin Cup Nudist
Sep 3, 2011

Sleep with one eye open

We're off to Gritty Gritty land

Have to go with Azata first, because Dragon Friend

sebmojo
Oct 23, 2010

Legit Cyberpunk

Oof, finished the river kings, last fight was a bastard. That razor halberd is a whole thing.

pentyne
Nov 7, 2012
The "auto-win" for Crusade mode is going to go a huge way to add re-playability to the game if it's anything like Kingmaker. Kingdom management felt like it took forever and you're constantly dragging out parts of the game having to do all the kingdom specific stuff.

Buck Wildman
Mar 30, 2010

you can straight up turn crusade mode off they said, assuming that's what you mean by auto-win

I'll try it but yeah it'll probably get tedious quickly

Memnaelar
Feb 21, 2013

WHO is the goodest girl?
So... in Kingmaker, what do you do when you're deep within enemy lines without camping supplies? I charmed my way into the lair with talky-talky but now find that if I want to leave the ruins to go get more supplies, I have to fight my way out of a mass of trolls and, well, I don't got the resources to do that. Seems I'm SOL on this save if I try to press forward as I'm just out of healing supplies in general. Is there another route to pulling things together that I'm missing? Not being able to camp and regain spell slots seems like it's pretty much a death sentence...

JamMasterJim
Mar 27, 2010

Memnaelar posted:

So... in Kingmaker, what do you do when you're deep within enemy lines without camping supplies? I charmed my way into the lair with talky-talky but now find that if I want to leave the ruins to go get more supplies, I have to fight my way out of a mass of trolls and, well, I don't got the resources to do that. Seems I'm SOL on this save if I try to press forward as I'm just out of healing supplies in general. Is there another route to pulling things together that I'm missing? Not being able to camp and regain spell slots seems like it's pretty much a death sentence...

If there is no autosave from when you entered the trollbold area, you can cheat in camping supplies, I guess. I admit I am surprised you entered the enemy stronghold without being fully rested

Memnaelar
Feb 21, 2013

WHO is the goodest girl?

JamMasterJim posted:

If there is no autosave from when you entered the trollbold area, you can cheat in camping supplies, I guess. I admit I am surprised you entered the enemy stronghold without being fully rested

I was fully rested and had 3 sleeps worth of camping supplies. I guess I might be underleveled a bit (level 6) or just bad at combat, I suppose.

JamMasterJim
Mar 27, 2010

Memnaelar posted:

I was fully rested and had 3 sleeps worth of camping supplies. I guess I might be underleveled a bit (level 6) or just bad at combat, I suppose.

Ah, so you went for the negotiations route, went deeper into the fortress and then realized there is a huge melee outside. Gotcha.
Though you are probably a level below than most people. Usually you are lv 7 when entering and can hit lv8 when you are done with Trollbold.

adamarama
Mar 20, 2009
I've decided on either bard or skald for my first playthrough. Has anyone experience with skalds in the beta? How are they compared to bard, fun, strong? I definitely want to go melee but inspire rage doesn't look as strong as bard song and there doesn't seem to be any other major difference, bar medium armour prof for skald.

1st Stage Midboss
Oct 29, 2011

adamarama posted:

I've decided on either bard or skald for my first playthrough. Has anyone experience with skalds in the beta? How are they compared to bard, fun, strong? I definitely want to go melee but inspire rage doesn't look as strong as bard song and there doesn't seem to be any other major difference, bar medium armour prof for skald.

I haven't played the WotR beta at all, but from tabletop experience, Skald can be really good if you have other party members swinging two-handed weapons to get the most out of Inspired Rage. It does make them less flexible than Bards, but the heavier armour and ability to hand out rage powers gives them a solid niche.

sebmojo
Oct 23, 2010

Legit Cyberpunk

What's the idea with enlarge? It often gets recommended but doesn't seem that powerful, is it a big damage boost?

Perfect Potato
Mar 4, 2009
Enlarge person gives reach, so all your dps characters can safely cower behind Valerie while dealing infinity damage

Avalerion
Oct 19, 2012

sebmojo posted:

What's the idea with enlarge? It often gets recommended but doesn't seem that powerful, is it a big damage boost?

And it makes all your attacks have reach, so you can have your lightly armored barbarian or w/e poke safely from behind your tank.

JamMasterJim
Mar 27, 2010

sebmojo posted:

Among everything mentioned about reach:
Size strength bonuses stack for chance to hit and damage with most other buffs. And it's a lv1 spell, so it's easy to utilize from the get go (compared to getting sacred or profane bonuses) and it will end up having a pretty large duration relatively soon.

Chevy Slyme
May 2, 2004

We're Gonna Run.

We're Gonna Crawl.

Kick Down Every Wall.

sebmojo posted:

The damage boost is, on average, about +3.5 to damage (+1 from strength, and, if you’re using weapons that do a D8 or better +2.5 from going up one die size on your weapon.) The big advantage to vanilla enlarge is Reach. Doubling the melee range of your squishier front liners allows them to attack from behind, rather than alongside, the meat shield, and allows them to threaten twice as many enemies, which lets you more reliably get all those flanking sneak attacks set up.

Legendary Proportions, which is what you ought to use closer to end game, is Enlarge+++ and is just straight up loving broken. It lasts about 10x as long as Enlarge. Provides +6 strength rather than + 2 (for +3 each to hit and damage), adds a con bonus, a natural armor bonus, DR 10/Adamantine, unlike Enlarge there’s no Dex penalty either, and your weapon damage dice go up two sizes rather than one; and that second increase is usually just “add an entire extra damage die”

And all of these (except the natural armor) will actually stack with all of your gear and other class based poo poo typically, unlike a lot of other buffs.

But going back to Englarge at low levels. Think about how excited you’d be to get +6 Strength. That’s kind of what you’re giving your damage dealers with Enlarge. (It’s not exactly like 6 strength, because it’s damage rolls only not attack rolls, and there’s a small Dex penalty. But it’s a trade I’d make every day with low level fighters)

Chevy Slyme fucked around with this message at 15:00 on Aug 29, 2021

Azuth0667
Sep 20, 2011

By the word of Zoroaster, no business decision is poor when it involves Ahura Mazda.

Memnaelar posted:

You can sneak around and there's a concealed exit on the west side of the map in the basement.

boo boo bear
Oct 1, 2009

I'm COMPLETELY OBSESSED with SEXY EGGS

adamarama posted:

inspired rage is decent, but the strength lays in the party wide rage power buffs and then doubling down on those with either additional animal companions or summons. some of the subclasses are better for dex and caster heavy parties as well.

uncanny dodge and a large shield makes it a bit more forgiving to get stuck in but you also start with access to martial weapons and don't have to burn a feat. not a huge deal, but nice to have if you wanna use a composite longbow.

it's never gonna be capable of one-man solo gish the game bullshit, but it's a solid party oriented class, makes for a great face and fluffy as hell if you're taking the trickster path... where it actually has some decent synergy.

Kalas
Jul 27, 2007

CaptainPsyko posted:

And all of these (except the natural armor) will actually stack with all of your gear and other class based poo poo typically, unlike a lot of other buffs.

That should stack as well since it's a Size bonus and not an enhancement like barkskin/amulet.

Nephthys
Mar 27, 2010

I wonder if Legendary Proportions stacks with the Gold Dragon size boost. Screw finding the most optimal build, I want to know if I can have a character so big they don't even fit on screen anymore.

Kobal2
Apr 29, 2019

boo boo bear posted:

it's never gonna be capable of one-man solo gish the game bullshit, but it's a solid party oriented class

Weeeeeell, there's that "you got spellcasters ? Yeah, so, they hosed" thing (Dunno if the game models it, but per the rules you can't cast poo poo while raging. You *can* opt out of raging, but that seems like a hassle to code)

cuntman.net
Mar 1, 2013

you can use legendary proportions with dragonkind in kingmaker. iirc you get both bonuses but your model doesnt get any bigger

JamMasterJim
Mar 27, 2010

Kobal2 posted:

Weeeeeell, there's that "you got spellcasters ? Yeah, so, they hosed" thing (Dunno if the game models it, but per the rules you can't cast poo poo while raging. You *can* opt out of raging, but that seems like a hassle to code)

Opting out of rage is a very basic toggle in wrath in your character abilities bar..

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

adamarama
Mar 20, 2009

boo boo bear posted:

inspired rage is decent, but the strength lays in the party wide rage power buffs and then doubling down on those with either additional animal companions or summons. some of the subclasses are better for dex and caster heavy parties as well.

uncanny dodge and a large shield makes it a bit more forgiving to get stuck in but you also start with access to martial weapons and don't have to burn a feat. not a huge deal, but nice to have if you wanna use a composite longbow.

it's never gonna be capable of one-man solo gish the game bullshit, but it's a solid party oriented class, makes for a great face and fluffy as hell if you're taking the trickster path... where it actually has some decent synergy.
Cheers, I'll look into the rage powers more during character creation. Skald might be a nice change from Linzi but I can't find much info online at the moment. I'm definitely going trickster so yeah, I thought bard or skald would be the best fit. The party buff/support role doesn't seem to be covered by the companions either.