Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Ugly In The Morning
Jul 1, 2010
Pillbug

Aardvark! posted:

Did anybody here actually watch this? It feels like it's been in the top 5 of Netflix for like 3 months, but I only recall a couple comments that it sucked

I had honestly thought it was cancelled during its first season.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

WhiteHowler
Apr 3, 2001

I'M HUGE!

Gonz posted:

My mother watched both Manifest AND Debris, and I cannot be convinced otherwise that those shows aren’t actually one in the same.

Lost clones are BACK, baby!

Anyone remember FlashForward, Alcatraz, or The Event?

None of those were actually good, but those three shows soured me on starting any network "mystery" shows in the first season or two.

Mu Zeta
Oct 17, 2002

Me crush ass to dust

Debris is the X-Files type show from the Fringe team. Fringe became good but unfortunately the first ~20 episodes or so were boring as heck. Guess they didn't learn their lesson.

theflyingexecutive
Apr 22, 2007

Toxic Fart Syndrome posted:

It should also be noted that Cruise doing his own stunts is “good for the production” because it means they don’t have to pay stunt doubles and it’s actually kind of lovely for Cruise to be stealing their work.

:shrug:

Film crew member checking in:

1. They absolutely have one or more stunt doubles on the clock in full HMUW for exigent circumstances. From my personal experiences, Chris Meloni did 95% of his own stunts and fights on Happy, but there was a double there ready to go every single day in a bald cap and Happy had maybe 1% of the budget of a M:I.

2. There's absolutely a huge stunt rigging team for safety and setup of the stunts themselves

3. Those doubles, coordinators, and riggers absolutely were present for Cruise's stunt training and rehearsals, for which there were probably more prep days than would be had filming traditionally with doubles.

4. The stunt team absolutely had to be bigger because it was Cruise himself doing the stunts and the margin of safety had to be greater than if it were an anonymous, replaceable stuntie doing it.

Tldr: Cruise doing his own stunts let that department buy a lot of houses.

theflyingexecutive
Apr 22, 2007

Open Source Idiom posted:

Like I said, I think she's great -- though in two of those shows she was hampered by poor writing.

I thought she was great in Utopia and Echo as well, both of which made use of her natural chilliness to great effect.

Rose Leslie had to emotionally justify the main villain's motives in a single episode of Utopia, she was awesome.

CeeJee
Dec 4, 2001
Oven Wrangler

Aardvark! posted:

Did anybody here actually watch this? It feels like it's been in the top 5 of Netflix for like 3 months, but I only recall a couple comments that it sucked

I watched the premiere because the lead was guest star in that really good Travelers episode and don't remember anything from it. When I heard of its success I assume it's because the storyline is 'ordinary people suddenly become very important for global survival' like the average YA story but not with teenagers.

AARD VARKMAN
May 17, 1993
do you think it's too late for Netflix to give The 4400 a final season? :thunk:

fake edit: oh wow CW is rebooting it already

Slamhound
Mar 27, 2010

Aardvark! posted:

do you think it's too late for Netflix to give The 4400 a final season? :thunk:

fake edit: oh wow CW is rebooting it already

Huh. I kept seeing "The 4400: A Brand New Show" ads on CW stuff, but I thought it was "new" like Netflix's "new to Netflix" thing.

Shageletic
Jul 25, 2007

Aardvark! posted:

Watched the pilot with family and had the worst dialogue Ive listened to in awhile

isaboo
Nov 11, 2002

Muay Buok
ขอให้โชคดี

WhiteHowler posted:

None of those were actually good, but those three shows soured me on starting any network "mystery" shows in the first season or two.

I wanted more of Alcatraz and also more of The River with Bruce Greenwood

muscles like this!
Jan 17, 2005

Oh dip, the AMC+ has Kids in the Hall.

Toxic Fart Syndrome
Jul 2, 2006

*hits A-THREAD-5*

Only 3.6 Roentgoons per hour ... not great, not terrible.

...the meter only goes to 3.6...

Pork Pro
hey guys i'm really sorry i made fun of tom cruise where can i wash the thetans out???

Mu Zeta
Oct 17, 2002

Me crush ass to dust

Remember his irresponsible crusade against psychiatry and all anti depressants.

Google Butt
Oct 4, 2005

Xenology is an unnatural mixture of science fiction and formal logic. At its core is a flawed assumption...

that an alien race would be psychologically human.

im still pissed about the Marco Polo cliff hanger

Edward Mass
Sep 14, 2011

𝅘𝅥𝅮 I wanna go home with the armadillo
Good country music from Amarillo and Abilene
Friendliest people and the prettiest women you've ever seen
𝅘𝅥𝅮

muscles like this! posted:

Oh dip, the AMC+ has Kids in the Hall.

Speaking of, when is Prime Video going to debut the new series? It may get me to actually use that service.

muscles like this!
Jan 17, 2005

Edward Mass posted:

Speaking of, when is Prime Video going to debut the new series? It may get me to actually use that service.

They're currently editing it so it's on its way.

Cojawfee
May 31, 2006
I think the US is dumb for not using Celsius

Aardvark! posted:

I binged through all of it. I wouldn't say it's amazing that people definitely need to watch it. I watch mediocre TV while eating lunch and dinner, and it served that purpose. I'll watch whatever Netflix puts out. The story was mildly interesting, and I'm interested in seeing how it ends.

Assepoester
Jul 18, 2004
Probation
Can't post for 10 years!
Melman v2

WhiteHowler posted:

Flash Forward was actually kinda memorable because it had John Cho, but they clearly had no idea what to do after their season of LOST-style mini stories was up so they just go "aaand ANOTHER flash forward event happens!"

Alcatraz was bad.

The Event was so bonkers and insane it seemed to be that these NBC showrunners were aware they were never going to get a second season anyway so they just end it in the most amazing "paint yourself into a corner" way possible. It's hilarious. It's also the least like LOST because it answers all its mysteries in the most nuts manner possible.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=GdKkbA5P5qI

Assepoester fucked around with this message at 02:08 on Aug 29, 2021

Mu Zeta
Oct 17, 2002

Me crush ass to dust

My favorite Lost clone was the one about a group of lottery winners that were secretly connected to each other and there was some massive conspiracy. Why the hell would you make that the premise for a show.

Rhyno
Mar 22, 2003
Probation
Can't post for 10 years!

Mu Zeta posted:

My favorite Lost clone was the one about a group of lottery winners that were secretly connected to each other and there was some massive conspiracy. Why the hell would you make that the premise for a show.

Wasn't that the numbers sub plot IN Lost?

Shageletic
Jul 25, 2007

Wasnt there one about a robbery and everyone knew each other and they tried to build a season out of flashing back to like 1 hour

Open Source Idiom
Jan 4, 2013

Shageletic posted:

Wasnt there one about a robbery and everyone knew each other and they tried to build a season out of flashing back to like 1 hour

The Nine, yeah. With Chi McBride.

Truspeaker
Jan 28, 2009

Mu Zeta posted:

Dunno if it's that one or a separate lottery based LOST clone, but there was Windfall where a group of people all went in on the lottery together as a regular thing but then they win and it tears them all apart. Such exciting plotlines as: one of the winners being almost divorced, but then the ex wants in on the money! And: Lady's ex contacts her and is all "I saw that the numbers that won were my birthday and that you won, so you must still have a thing for me".

I almost wish I had watched more than the first episode, but i could feel that cancellation coming from like five minutes in and definitely wasn't going to keep up week to week. That level of middle of the road trash really needs as few barriers to entry as possible, which I'm sure helped Manifest a lot.

Mu Zeta
Oct 17, 2002

Me crush ass to dust

Truspeaker posted:

Dunno if it's that one or a separate lottery based LOST clone, but there was Windfall where a group of people all went in on the lottery together as a regular thing but then they win and it tears them all apart. Such exciting plotlines as: one of the winners being almost divorced, but then the ex wants in on the money! And: Lady's ex contacts her and is all "I saw that the numbers that won were my birthday and that you won, so you must still have a thing for me".

I almost wish I had watched more than the first episode, but i could feel that cancellation coming from like five minutes in and definitely wasn't going to keep up week to week. That level of middle of the road trash really needs as few barriers to entry as possible, which I'm sure helped Manifest a lot.

I think I was confusing Windfall with The Nine mentioned above. They all sound terrible.

GreenNight
Feb 19, 2006
Turning the light on the darkest places, you and I know we got to face this now. We got to face this now.

I liked Wayword Pines. Show got off the rails and I'm always down for that.

Chairman Capone
Dec 17, 2008

It's maybe not quite a Lost clone but there was the Syfy miniseries/backdoor pilot Ascension from a few years ago, premised on the idea that JFK secretly had a generation ship launched towards Alpha Centauri, but the culture onboard remains in the 1960s, so it was very obviously "Mad Men in space".

And halfway through you learn the ship isn't real, everyone onboard just thinks they've been in space for 50 years but they're actually just sitting in a bunker on Earth so that they can be observed by sociologists.

And then the show ends with someone developing psychic powers and actually teleporting everyone to Alpha Centauri.

isaboo
Nov 11, 2002

Muay Buok
ขอให้โชคดี
haha oh wow I do remember that show, but not sure I ever saw the ending

Arist
Feb 13, 2012

who, me?

That sounds hilarious

muscles like this!
Jan 17, 2005

IIRC there was also a thing where scientists outside the spaceship would steal inventions that the crew made and that's where we got all our technology for the last 50 years.

MiddleOne
Feb 17, 2011

Chairman Capone posted:

It's maybe not quite a Lost clone but there was the Syfy miniseries/backdoor pilot Ascension from a few years ago, premised on the idea that JFK secretly had a generation ship launched towards Alpha Centauri, but the culture onboard remains in the 1960s, so it was very obviously "Mad Men in space".

And halfway through you learn the ship isn't real, everyone onboard just thinks they've been in space for 50 years but they're actually just sitting in a bunker on Earth so that they can be observed by sociologists.

And then the show ends with someone developing psychic powers and actually teleporting everyone to Alpha Centauri.

What really? I think I stopped watching very quickly past the halfway point.

Open Source Idiom
Jan 4, 2013
I won't say that Sophie Okenado's performance on Brittania represents the high point of her career, because I still think that's her role in The Slap, but it's certainly the most fun I've ever had watching her in a show. She's really loving good.

Chairman Capone posted:

Yeah, there was a lot of pointless convolution to the plot. Though IIRC the psychic space jump was implied to be the entire point of the ridiculous setup.

But let's be fair to the L O S T clones, the original was just as stupid. Just in the same way that once answers starting coming on Evil, that show will end up being just as dumb as The X-Files.

Escobarbarian
Jun 18, 2004

Grimey Drawer
Hey Siri how do I pause time so I can rewatch LOST with no repercussions

GreenNight
Feb 19, 2006
Turning the light on the darkest places, you and I know we got to face this now. We got to face this now.

A lot of my fondness for Lost directly relates to the threads here. It was some good times.

Open Source Idiom
Jan 4, 2013

Escobarbarian posted:

Hey Siri how do I pause time so I can rewatch LOST with no repercussions

You'll never got those brain cells back.

I still regret watching a lot of Season 2. e.g. when they introduced Hurley's food addiction and hording sensibilities to explain why the actor hadn't lost weight. Or the Charley addiction arc -- Fire + Water is one of the worst episodes of television ever produced, and that was a whole year before Stranger In A Strange Land, the one everyone goes on about.

Man, a lot of that show loving sucked.

Oasx
Oct 11, 2006

Freshly Squeezed
Lost is still a great show, especially the ending. But it's also very much a product of its time in regards to female characters, people of color etc.

Mu Zeta
Oct 17, 2002

Me crush ass to dust

The guy playing Jack annoyingly overacts so much. DON'T PUSH THE BUTTON, JOHN!

theflyingexecutive
Apr 22, 2007

What I would give for some of my favorite shows to have had even 21 episodes, much less 121. It's easy to remember the terrible parts of Lost, then the really fun parts, but boy oh boy was there so much filler.

Google Butt
Oct 4, 2005

Xenology is an unnatural mixture of science fiction and formal logic. At its core is a flawed assumption...

that an alien race would be psychologically human.

Extremely glad the last kingdom is getting a final season, I really love it.

Assepoester
Jul 18, 2004
Probation
Can't post for 10 years!
Melman v2
My favorite thing about Lost was when a character would get some much needed development in the flashback as usual so you think you finally know what they're about but then the actor gets arrested for a DUI and then we get another flashback that undoes all that development and it turns out that no, they were actually a real poo poo and then they die.

Chairman Capone posted:

That was a SyFy miniseries, not really a Lost clone. Actually, I wouldn't consider anything that actually answers all its mysteries within its runtime a true Lost clone.

Assepoester fucked around with this message at 09:17 on Aug 29, 2021

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Corin Tucker's Stalker
May 27, 2001

One bullet. One gun. Six Chambers. These are my friends.

isaboo posted:

also more of The River with Bruce Greenwood
I'm admittedly a sucker for found-footage stuff but I enjoyed the heck out of that show. It was surprising how different each episode felt, especially considering the fact that basically the entire thing took place on a boat or in the jungle.