Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Rappaport
Oct 2, 2013

Cythereal posted:

I remain seriously confused as to who Roxanne actually thought would enjoy this dreck.

Herself? Nothing about anything she's done exactly screams "I have even a rudimentary understanding of what makes for compelling characters". It's funny she latched onto the Infinity Engine as her outlet, though, when there's Neverwinter Nights right there.

(If I'm forgetting someone mentioning in the thread her contributions to NN modules, I will be very sad, and not because of my memory issues)

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Fighting Trousers
May 17, 2011

Does this excite you, girl?
She obviously really likes the powerset of clerics, but doesn't want to write a character who's in any way religious.

Caros
May 14, 2008

Cythereal posted:

There are atheist clerics, they're called the Athar.

This lady is no Athar.

I remain seriously confused as to who Roxanne actually thought would enjoy this dreck.

Pretty sure Athar are planescape specific. Forgotten realms doesn't like atheism in general, and divine casting is specifically linked to dieties in setting.

Closest I can think of is people who are agnostic getting spells from a god who like the cut of their jib.

RatchedB52
May 28, 2021
I have a theory that Roxanne is actually a consortium of trolls. There's the ringleader of course but I bet they are a collective.

And I have Roxanne's version of Balduran's Sea Tower installed and yes, it is crap.

Explopyro
Mar 18, 2018

"Her trained yet fragile feminine body" wow gently caress you Roxanne

Thunderclan
Dec 24, 2013

RatchedB52 posted:

I have a theory that Roxanne is actually a consortium of trolls. There's the ringleader of course but I bet they are a collective.

Now I have the mental image of some sort of hybrid of troll and hydra, dozens of heads but still one being...

Cythereal
Nov 8, 2009

I love the potoo,
and the potoo loves you.

Fighting Trousers posted:

She obviously really likes the powerset of clerics, but doesn't want to write a character who's in any way religious.

I think this is obvious looking at how she writes paladin characters. Loves the idea of taking the power of a god, has no concept of religion beyond the Dutch equivalent of Westboro Baptist Church.

Vichan
Oct 1, 2014

I'LL PUNISH YOU ACCORDING TO YOUR CRIME
Chapter CXXXIX - So they kicked the fledgling god of love spit Love and and vain Hope out already. Well, that was to be expected without an adequate advisor by your side.

The Order of the 'Randalizing' Heart will have to wait, first we'll have to pay a visit to the Thieves Guild.

Didn't you relocate to Waterdeep?

Saemon has slithered his way to a position of power. I like his portrait. :)

His information comes with a price, of course. Looks like we'll have to pay Nalia a visit.

Izzy wants us to help locate her friend who ran off with a Shadow Thief. We might as well take care of that while we're running around town.

The local garrison commander is a dick.

The Copper Coronet is closed. I wonder what Hendak's up to right now.

Next up is a visit to the Bridge District.

...And that's pretty much it for Izzy's quest. At least for now. Maybe we can continue it if we're ever in Thay but what are the chances of that?

I wanted to pay Haer'Dalis a visit but the theater is empty. :smith:

Our next stop is the Council of Six building.

Anomen's here, still spouting his Pocket Plane dialogue.

No more Cowled Wizards hanging around. Thanks, Sandrah!

Nalia's going places.

Three days to prevent them from killing each other, easy peasy.

Sandrah has an idea how to resolve the situation. It's not like I'm using my guildhall anyway.

Let's visit the Temple District first though.

I wonder if I can buy L'urieet a fedora.

Ah, the conclusion to the Cyrando/Garrick storyline. We didn't get to see it back in SoA. It's nice to have some vanilla content so we can catch our breath.

Anyway, time to visit the Order of the Randalizing Heart.

Wait, did he say Ajantis?

Apparently Ajantis is alive and well. I have no idea why this is the case since I've been told that all mods that resurrect Ajantis were incompatible with Sandrah Saga. The guide states that Ajantis' Sandrah Saga content was gutted for some reason. Maybe that's the reason why this comes out of left field.

Anyway, that's all as far as the temple district is concerned. I really expected Izzy to interject here but no cigar. Back to Saemon it is.

Sandrah's diplomatic overtures are going over well. Back to Nalia.

Notice how I don't get a say in any of this. Player choice is overrated.

Those *gods*, amirite?

Of course this conversation is just an excuse to heap more praise onto Sandrah. :cripes:

Before going back to Saemon we pay a visit to the garrison commander just so we can rub his face in it.

As far as Sandrah Saga's banters go this is the best we can hope for.

Hopefully this is the last we'll see of Saemon. (The key is useless since the door to the Shadow Thieves Lair is still open)

The torturers are chafing under new leadership, it seems.

On our way to the big red button we are ambushed by Cyric's followers. Nothing we can't handle.

It doesn't take long for the big guy himself to make an appearance.

He's easily fooled.

Of course Sandrah takes credit for it, Cyric flees shortly afterwards.

The button's close-by, once we press it...

...We're back at Chateau Irenicus.

We're going through the area backwards this time, facing enemies along the way.

We eventually end up in Irenicus' room, someone teleports in...

Ah, it's Irenicus.

Imagine David Warner voicing these lines. :shepicide:

This dialogue is horrendous.

...That's totally what I meant when I said Red Wizards.

Just as we're about to get to the heart of the matter someone teleports in, who could it be...?

Oh, it's just Rielev.

Who would Irenicus trust Lassal in the first place? It seems we're going to have to get rid of this little rebellion before he'll divulge anything more.

...Did he say 'little Quayle'? What the hell's that about?

Sandrah's puzzled as well, looks like we'll have to head to the Air Plane to get to the bottom of this. Didn't that place get mentioned before...?

On our way there Lassal floats by in bat form, Giran's magic missiles make short work of him. I hope we didn't sequence break this whole thing. :ohdear:

Here we are back at the Plane of Air, the exact place where we met Chloe. I wonder what she's up to right now?

Wait, is that Aerie?

Oh no....

No no no no no no no no no no no no no no no no no n-

God is dead. God remains dead. And we have killed him. How shall we comfort ourselves, the murderers of all murderers? What was holiest and mightiest of all that the world has yet owned has bled to death under our knives: who will wipe this blood off us? What water is there for us to clean ourselves? What festivals of atonement, what sacred games shall we have to invent? Is not the greatness of this deed too great for us? Must we ourselves not become gods simply to appear worthy of it?

I could be playing literally anything else right now, why do I keep torturing myself? :cripes:

Maybe I should do a playthrough of Neverwinter Nights mods instead? Even A Dance With Rogues would be Shakespeare compared to this.

...Let's just move on.

We're back to where it all started. These guys don't really put up much of a fight.

Irenicus just stands and watches us without lifting a finger to help us.

You mean to tell me that I have agency?

Irenicus teleports away, leaving us with more questions than answers.

Words cannot describe how much I hate L'urieet.

Looks like the Athkatla graveyard's our next stop.

We exit Chateau Irenicus the old-fashioned way even though it doesn't really make sense.

Well, it seems obvious where we should go next.

Next time we'll head back to Waterdeep to face off against the collector.

Vichan fucked around with this message at 12:17 on Nov 7, 2021

Vichan
Oct 1, 2014

Why do I keep doing this? :suicide:

Vichan fucked around with this message at 18:43 on Aug 26, 2021

Cythereal
Nov 8, 2009

I love the potoo,
and the potoo loves you.
Hey Roxanne,

https://giant.gfycat.com/HandyDimpledAfricanpiedkingfisher.mp4

GiantRockFromSpace
Mar 1, 2019

Just Cram It

God is dead, for Roxxane has killed him to take his place.

...also having the feeling your trouble with redeeming Irenicus was not your fault. Unless it doesn't matter and he acts the same anyways which might be worse.

Zulily Zoetrope
Jun 1, 2011

Muldoon
That's, uh.

Hey, I never knew the Cyrando plot had a happy conclusion! I was wondering what was up with that; the dialogue was immediately recognizable as not Sandrah Saga.

docbeard
Jul 19, 2011

Na na na na na na na na na
Oh the devil made this movie game mod for you
Na na na na na na na na na

Black Robe
Sep 12, 2017

Generic Magic User

Okay, everyone needs a nice big glass of SHUT THE gently caress UP juice.

This amount of :words: would be intolerable in decent English. In Roxanne's... unique... dialect it's literally painful to try and read. (Not even counting Izzy's, uh, 'accent'.)

also this is not a visual novel and the player might like to do things sometimes

Rappaport
Oct 2, 2013

:discourse:

Nostalgamus
Sep 28, 2010

Aerie and Irenicus ahahahaahahaahahaahahaa oh my god

Ramc
May 4, 2008

Bringing your thread to a screeching halt, guaranteed.

*david warner voice* DROW GIRLY

Ramc
May 4, 2008

Nostalgamus posted:

right????????

docbeard
Jul 19, 2011

Nostalgamus posted:

Ramc
May 4, 2008

why is everyone talking about hormones!?!?!??!

biscuits and crazy
Oct 10, 2012
Oh my loving god, that was a travesty. Its scarcely believable that it can be this bad, but it somehow keeps getting worse.

Sindai
Jan 24, 2007
i want to achieve immortality through not dying
I'm glad we're back to purestrain Sandrah now. It's just :kiss:

LJN92
Mar 5, 2014

"Let me give you some of the facts and see if you lick blood" Sandrah what are you even saying?

Velius
Feb 27, 2001
It’s funny, the thing that leapt out most from that ghastly dialogue is Irenicus saying “that guy”. I cannot fathom the word guy being uttered in any possible context by this character, beyond any other nonsense.

I don’t think I could play BG2 again but I’m now curious if the Irenicus mod holds up, the early stuff seemed good. You’re a crazy person Vichan.

Vichan
Oct 1, 2014

Chapter CXL - I's got this wonderful fur coat...in case nobody noticed it yet, it's the PINK that makes it so special. I'm warm, haha.

With Sandrah's help we pinpoint the location of the graveyard where Nerkio's hanging out.

East from the temple of Mystra, just like she said.

Does L'urieet have a redemption arc? Will it make her less lovely? Only time will tell.

Oh boy, it's my favourite map from IWD2. :allears:

Lots of skeletons here, they're extremely easy to take down.

:suicide:

Nerkio and Sandrah exchange words and he storms off.

We follow him without delay.

Well, I guess we can take the time to appreciate how gorgeous this map is. :allears:

Creepy.

Uh-oh, this can't be good.

What a bunch of buffoons.

They summon some reinforcements including a wizard named Zyntris. Are we supposed to know who she is?

A lich bothers us and is quickly dispatched.

Helmed horrors, really? I eat those for breakfast! :black101:

Even the rats march to their doom here.

Finally a Balor teleports in to his quick death.

Prepare my rear end, we don't have the time!

The only thing left on this level are goblins and mists.

At least we've got quite the haul out of the experience. :jerkbag:

On to the next area.

Red Wizards teleport in.

Finally, worthwhile loot!

Uh-oh, you know what this means...

MYCONIDS! :shroom:

Also Talos worshippers. Why not?

:black101:

These wizards put up quite a fight, their leader is called Relonar. He was the first to die.

We also face off against Zyntris again, it goes about as well for her as the last time she tried to mess with us.

The way north is blocked.

From here we go east and see if we can't progress from there.

These dialogues.... :shepicide:

The toughest nuts to crack in this area are the ice golems, or at least they would be if Sandrah didn't insta-kill them the minute they pop into view.

We run into Scar once again. I miss him. :smith:

...I think these guys are bugged.

This altar holds a block of ice.

Believe it or not taking that block of ice opens the door in the previous area. Before heading there I decided to explore the current area a bit more.

Yep, these guys are definitely bugged.

There's multiple altars with blocks of ice, we don't need any more though.

There's an exit to the southeast but it's blocked.

:allbuttons:

This is so wrong on so many levels.

The first two are probably items for Cespenar but what the gently caress is Jaheira's hair doing here? :ohdear:

Brage's body can also be found here. He deserved better. :smith:

These poor guys. :(

There's some frost salamanders in this dead-end room, they're not found anywhere else on this level.

That's all for this area. (Both northern exits lead back to the same place)

Time to press on.

Snakes, why did it have to be snakes?

Might want to make a mental note of this.

A giant red snake is in the middle of this area. It doesn't put up much of a fight.

Time to head to the next area. (Both the southern and western exits lead back to the Myconid area)

The collector, some other guy, a big red button, bookshelves. The perfect recipe for an epic confrontation.

Nothing happens until you talk to one of them so let's loot the room first.

ST, huh? Who could that be referring to?

Nothing else to loot here, let's have a chat with the two fine gentlemen in front of us.

...Corneil? The guy who sold licenses in Athkatla?

Before I can even react to the bad dialogue the screen shakes...

...And we're transported outside to the graveyard.

Madeen was the guy who kickstarts the Valygar quest in SoA. What's he doing here?

That's some dialogue choice we get at the end there.

...Where is this summer camp anyway?

Oh, okay. That shouldn't be that hard.

The summer camp is east of the Friendly Arm Inn, you can reach it by exiting the area from the west... :cripes:

I've got a bad feeling about this.

There's some demons to defeat in this area, we saw this dialogue before in the area where we met Melicamp.

We leave the area by heading southeast.

That's some stampede.

Izzy and Giran bond over the experience, we even get a fade to black but I don't think it means what it usually means. At least not yet.

This must be the summer camp!

Yep, right on the money.

Quite a neat location.

Enough sightseeing though, time to head inside.

Nothing to do in this area, there's an exit to the north.

In the next room we reconnect with the gang.

I love how Sandrah repeats what I just said, stop taking credit for my already-small contributions! :argh:

Words of wisdom there, I think Sandrah speaks for all of us there.

Wallrick's also here, it's been quite a while since we've seen him!

Yes, helpful. So very, very helpful. :shepicide:

We actually have a choice as to where to go next!

Next time we'll meet up with Midnight and go back to the place where this nightmare first began!

Vichan fucked around with this message at 12:18 on Nov 7, 2021

Black Robe
Sep 12, 2017

Generic Magic User

Vichan posted:

Chapter 140 - I's got this wonderful fur coat...in case nobody noticed it yet, it's the PINK that makes it so special. I'm warm, haha.

One, this line comes in the middle of a boring pointless aside where everyone talks about how cold it is, zzzzzzzz why the hell is this drivel here.

Two, no really why did Imoen give her foster daughter the fur coat she has repeatedly had sex on :barf:

GiantRockFromSpace
Mar 1, 2019

Just Cram It

Welp, that PID with Leyala confirms it, there is no longer any Vichan, only a hollow shell filled with the abyss. He will be missed.

RatchedB52
May 28, 2021
Why is Vichan even necessary at this point? This is even worse than I thought it would be. MAYBE there will be some fun epic tactical battles ahead with Szass Tam...? No, wait, Sandrah and tactical, probably not.

RelentlessImp
Mar 15, 2011

Vichan posted:

God is dead. God remains dead. And we have killed him. How shall we comfort ourselves, the murderers of all murderers? What was holiest and mightiest of all that the world has yet owned has bled to death under our knives: who will wipe this blood off us? What water is there for us to clean ourselves? What festivals of atonement, what sacred games shall we have to invent? Is not the greatness of this deed too great for us? Must we ourselves not become gods simply to appear worthy of it?

Excuse me? Excuse me? Sandrah, you already had a lot to answer for, but turning badass Cleric/Mage ToB Aerie back into a simpering, mewling child desperate for a knight in shining armor? This... if everything up to this point hadn't made me remove Sandrah, this would have been the last straw. Aerie had the most amazing character arc in BG2->ToB, romance or not, Haer'Dalis or not, going from frightened child to goddess of death and destruction in gameplay while turning into a brave, heroic adventurer who could stand on her own two feet story-wise. And using her wings as a basis, the wings she had gotten over?

Aerie could solo her way through Throne of Bhaal and you turned her into... into this? Fuuuuuuuuuuuuck youuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuu.

RelentlessImp fucked around with this message at 13:23 on Aug 28, 2021

vilkacis
Feb 16, 2011

God this is rear end. I expected it to be rear end, of course, but at least like, divine business rear end. Not just running around boring old areas, dragging the idiot Original Character offspring of your old companions around for some way-beneath-you bullshit, fighting all these ordinary enemies and solving generic dungeons as an actual deity!

I'll have to admit i'm only skimming this very briefly (for the sake of my sanity, you see) so i may have missed things but does Vichan even get any special divine abilities here? Resistances? Stat boosts?? Or is that solely the domain of Our Lord And Saviour The Real Protagonist?

Vichan
Oct 1, 2014

vilkacis posted:

I'll have to admit i'm only skimming this very briefly (for the sake of my sanity, you see) so i may have missed things but does Vichan even get any special divine abilities here? Resistances? Stat boosts?? Or is that solely the domain of Our Lord And Saviour The Real Protagonist?

Nope, none whatsoever. Not even Sandrah's gotten any cool new stuff yet.

vilkacis
Feb 16, 2011

I thought she got a couple new instakill abilities at least, but maybe i'm misremembering and it was before the postgame stuff.

Vichan
Oct 1, 2014

vilkacis posted:

I thought she got a couple new instakill abilities at least, but maybe i'm misremembering and it was before the postgame stuff.

I completely forgotten about that, you're right.

I tried to cast it on various enemies but no success... :(

vilkacis
Feb 16, 2011

Turns out they only work on Charname, all part of the plan to take over all of the everything forever :tinfoil:

Wizardcorp
Apr 11, 2015
I started reading this thread about a week ago and have just caught up with it. Thank you Vichan for the effort you're putting into this, and if you're worried about people dropping off, I guess you are also picking up some new readers over time. Although I will admit I did skip some of the heaviest dialogue parts along the way...

I've been into the Infinity Engine games and modding them pretty much since release - I actually made a couple of small mods for the original Baldur's Gate in the pre-Weidu days, using some of the basic tools available then and some hex editing. If anyone is wondering, the only one that got any sort of attention was the Wand of Identification, but mostly from other modders wanting to include it in their own projects that probably never got released. I dropped out of any involvement when the old Bioware and Black Isle Studio forums were killed, mostly because I was in my late teens at that point and I became sort of embarrassed by it, even though I kept on playing the games and downloading mods, if not really making any more.

I didn't really get back involved in the community side of it until I heard about the Big World Setup tool, the more communal precursor to the EET Install Tool Roxanne now maintains. I'd never had much luck with mega-mod installs before that, and I liked the fact it showed you available mods without having to seek them out on various forums. I submitted a few bug reports and suggestions, and remember Roxanne being one of the very active community maintainers. She seemed quite sensible, to be honest, in her suggestions and responses, for the most part.

So I decided when I was putting together a kitchen-sink mega-mod install, knowing it was going to be messy but might be a fun experience if I didn't take it too seriously, I was going to try her mod. After all, she seemed reasonable, and it seemed to have an active and overall satisfied player base, from the number of posts asking questions around it. I setup and ran an install using it, which failed, and that was what saved me, because I went to report the issue, but ended up seeing some posts I hadn't seen. This was a bizarre argument Roxanne got involved in, where another mod had moved or otherwise altered a character that Sandrah relied on, as a result meaning that while the two mods installed without error, the Sandrah mod progress was broken.

Probably not surprising considering the amount of things her mod changes, but she was absolutely incensed by this - she was it as some unforgivable breach by a mod to alter a character that another mod uses, like it was a personal insult. The BWS tool could easily handle this case by marking the two mods as incompatible and warn the end user if they tried to install them together, but she felt that this didn't go far enough, the offending mod should be removed from the tool. People were telling her, with varying degrees of niceness, that her position was unreasonable. It was bizarre and her stance so weirdly intransigent that I decided to not try her mod after all. The mega-mod install actually turned out alright once it was removed and a few other tweaks were made. Although came off the rails mid-BG, it actually got me back into the games and using mods more adventurously in a big way.

I didn't really mean for this to turn into an essay, I guess I was originally trying to say is that Roxanne's bizarre behaviour does have a real potential negative effect. While in retrospect, the alt thing seems obvious, I was genuinely fooled, not really being part of the community, to believe that Sandrah was a popular mod, long enough for it to do what it needed to do. While I hope others are smarter than me, I could have been turned off the games for good if I'd sat through this and believed this was the apex of the BG modding community at the time, instead of getting back into them.

Now that I've got that off my chest, a few things that I've noticed from reading through the thread:

- The lack of epilogue for Sandrah if you reject godhood at the end of ToB just feels like the worst kind of disrespect for the player. I know it is abundantly clear by now that this story is now about Sandrah, not the Bhaalspawn, but at the very least make an epilogue that rounds the story off and tells the player that if they choose godhood they can continue.
- Maybe I'm being unfair as it's clear she's not a native English speaker, and there are plenty of other spelling, grammar, and worse errors, but I find the use of "troupe" for "troop" completely jarring every time - even when I was just scanning over dialogue quickly this jumped out at me every time.
- I feel bad for Haiass. I'm pretty sure this was originally a standalone mod that never got updated for EE by the original authors, so the Sandrah version is the only one available on newer editions. I guess now he can get it on with whatever Pelligram is...

Black Robe
Sep 12, 2017

Generic Magic User

Wizardcorp posted:

This was a bizarre argument Roxanne got involved in, where another mod had moved or otherwise altered a character that Sandrah relied on, as a result meaning that while the two mods installed without error, the Sandrah mod progress was broken.

Probably not surprising considering the amount of things her mod changes, but she was absolutely incensed by this - she was it as some unforgivable breach by a mod to alter a character that another mod uses, like it was a personal insult. The BWS tool could easily handle this case by marking the two mods as incompatible and warn the end user if they tried to install them together, but she felt that this didn't go far enough, the offending mod should be removed from the tool. People were telling her, with varying degrees of niceness, that her position was unreasonable. It was bizarre and her stance so weirdly intransigent that I decided to not try her mod after all.

:roflolmao: Sounds about right. The hypocrisy is real. She can cannibalise any mod she pleases without its creator's permission but God forbid someone else do it in a way that alters her crappy fanfic.

Zulily Zoetrope
Jun 1, 2011

Muldoon
It's far from the worst thing about this mod, but one kind of omnipresent thing that bothers me is that I actually like the idea of it.

Just a victory lap across wherever you've been, having a look at the state of the world and just obliterating everything foolish enough to fight you. Getting in touch with all your epic-level party members and seeing where they are in the world. Taking some of their kids under your wing. Even the specific plot of a burgeoning nation of "evil" humanoids, an all-too neglected category in most fantasy stories. Obviously it would make a lot more sense if it built off the mortal ending, but even a look at the following that develops if you become a god would be interesting.

Roxanne just makes the worst choices at every juncture, so your religion is a sex cult that you can happily command to gently caress you, the orc nation is ruled by humans, the returning characters are all terribly misrepresented, and of course you're caught in a plot that no doubt ends with you killing Szas Tam, who has allied with whatever characters, gods and institutions Roxanne personally dislikes. I honestly would not be surprised if it turns out Keldorn and his paladins are somehow in on the scheme.

I still don't know what we're supposed to think of the Cowled Wizards "losing Mystra's blessing" and immediately quitting to join a bigger, eviler gang of wizards. I'm sure it's supposed to reflect well on Sandrah, but all it tells me is that she's poo poo at her job.

RelentlessImp
Mar 15, 2011

Zulily Zoetrope posted:

I still don't know what we're supposed to think of the Cowled Wizards "losing Mystra's blessing" and immediately quitting to join a bigger, eviler gang of wizards.

This bit actually has precedent in Forgotten Realms lore. When you severely abuse magic, Mystra will straight up cut you off from the Weave. This is where Shadow Adepts come from, utilizing a dark reflection of the Weave emanating from, and controlled by, Shar. Any number of spellcasters who have been stripped of the Weave turn to Shar or Vhaeraun (who, among other things, is the Drow patron of Shadow Magic) and start utilizing the Shadow Weave instead, which led to the formation of "shadow cults"; there were even a large number of them in the Council of Elders of Halruua at one point, intending to overthrow worshipers of Mystra.

Of course, the Shadow Weave has its disadvantages that put them at odds with those who utilize the Weave. You can't use the Shadow Weave to cast any spells that create light of any kind, and any spells using the Shadow Weave of the evocation or transmutation schools are weakened, while enchantment, illusion and necromancy are stronger. The biggest advantage is that Shadow Adepts aren't affected by Wild Magic or Dead Magic Zones, as those only impact Mystra's Weave (though antimagic fields still stop it). Also the two different Weaves had problems affecting each other, such as a Weave user had problems dispelling a Shadow Weave user's spells, and vice versa; and the other biggest advantage was that magic items created using the Shadow Weave had the same benefits (and penalties) as their spells, which meant you could roll into a Dead Magic Zone wielding Shadow Weave-created magic items and have them fully functional.

RelentlessImp fucked around with this message at 12:57 on Aug 29, 2021

Cythereal
Nov 8, 2009

I love the potoo,
and the potoo loves you.

Zulily Zoetrope posted:

I still don't know what we're supposed to think of the Cowled Wizards "losing Mystra's blessing" and immediately quitting to join a bigger, eviler gang of wizards.

For what it's worth, when I wrote Valerie my take on the Cowled Wizards was that they aren't necessarily evil, and many of the rank and file like Valerie sincerely believe that they're doing an unpleasant but important job of protecting Amn from evil magic - while her BG2 material will probably never be released, I wrote in that the Cowled Wizards massacred by Irenicus at Waukeen's Promenade were actually a strike team forming up to investigate the circus and deal with Kalah when Irenicus blew up a chunk of the city. The problem is that most if not all of the Cowled Wizards' leadership is as venal, corrupt, and power-hungry as every other political leader in Amn, and would-be reformers like Valerie are intentionally squashed, exiled, or sent on suicide missions.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Zulily Zoetrope
Jun 1, 2011

Muldoon

RelentlessImp posted:

This bit actually has precedent in Forgotten Realms lore. When you severely abuse magic, Mystra will straight up cut you off from the Weave.

Oh, that is not the part with which I take issue. Moreso the specific bit where she spurns one group of political wizards but has made no move against any of the central villains. Like, if you're gonna use your divinity to get political, why are you going after the bit players (who then flock to the bigger bads) instead of taking the axe straight to the kingpin? You're literally writing yourself as a god in your own power fantasy, and wield your power with abandon, but also all the villains are the wizards you didn't bother to smite.

Plus it's not like the ex-Cowled Wizards you're facing are incapable of using magic.