Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.
Best Sassy Witch
This poll is closed.
Magilou 33 28.45%
Oddium 9 7.76%
All of them 15 12.93%
All of them (except the problematic ones) 30 25.86%
metis, whose birthday is this month 12 10.34%
Metis cannot stop editing polls 17 14.66%
Total: 116 votes
[Edit Poll (moderators only)]

I said come in!
Jun 22, 2004

Acerbatus posted:

I mean did you buy guilty gear strive for the story? I can't think of a single fighting game where there's much thought out unto it.

How does what I posted give you the impression that Guilty Gear Strive put no thought into its movie? It's one massive lore dump, there is almost no action sequences in it. The total running minutes of action is very little and spread way out over those 4 1/2 hours. That's not the problem at all, it's that there is too much of it. It's the exact opposite of what you would expect.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Hwurmp
May 20, 2005

ONE YEAR LATER posted:

Better pick it up before it gets stepped on or bugs get on it.

It's far too late for the five-second rule :ohdear:

RBA Starblade
Apr 28, 2008

Going Home.

Games Idiot Court Jester

Donda esta la biblioteca

Zil
Jun 4, 2011

Satanically Summoned Citrus

RBA Starblade posted:

Donda esta la biblioteca

Me llamo T-Bone La araņa discoteca

The 7th Guest
Dec 17, 2003

finished Psychonauts 2 and I am blown away at how good it was. double fine has had such an up and down track record but this (bear in mind I have a 3D platformer bias) is my favorite western AAA game of the last decade

incredible art direction, so much variety, fun to explore, a great mix of open and linear areas, and just an endless amount of cool ideas constantly being thrown at you

you just have to accept that the combat is merely OK (and there's also a toggle in the assist options to make combat trivial so you can get through it quickly). it's not BAD, it can be fun in a button mash-and-dodge way, but I think they could stand to patch it to make your psi powers more, well, powerful in combat

also you have to quickly get used to the first jump needing you to hold it down a bit to get the max height (rather than tap and get max height. maybe it was like this in the first game?). i got used to it by the end of the first level

Mode 7
Jul 28, 2007

Zaphod42 posted:

We really need to come up with a term for "Movie-game" as opposed to "game-game". Not all games are trying to do the same thing, and for lots of them the gameplay is all there really is. With other games (Final Fantasy) the gameplay is just a thing you do between story bits, so there a "easy mode" makes total sense. But with games that are gameplay driven entirely, easy mode kinda just means not playing the game you paid for.

If somebody wants to play a game that is "gameplay driven" with an easy mode that entirely removes that challenge, and they do indeed "not play the game [they] paid for", why is that a problem for you? Someone choosing to experience the game differently from you - even if it is in a way that you feel invalidates the developer's intended experience - does not magically make their experience with it worthless.

Chev
Jul 19, 2010
Switchblade Switcharoo

Acerbatus posted:

I mean did you buy guilty gear strive for the story? I can't think of a single fighting game where there's much thought out unto it.
Arcsys makes a lot of money from people who buy their games for the story, and then buy a whole bunch of spinoff materials because they want more of the story, yeah. It's a well known aspect of their revenue stream. Some people express just as much disbelief that their VN comes packaged with a fighting game.

Red Alert 2 Yuris Revenge
May 8, 2006

"My brain is amazing! It's full of wrinkles, and... Uh... Wait... What am I trying to say?"
i liked psychonauts 2 a great deal but i think it(unsurprisingly) has similar flaws to the original. the platforming is fine but not great, often slidey or weird, raz could do with being a bit more "sticky" to stuff you can latch on to. most to all of the non-boss combat could be cut, and some of the new enemies feel like they were made for a different game and are kind of bad. your powers should in general recharge faster and be a bit stronger. often the enemies play like little doom eternal marauders with insta-dodges and the ability to just deflect or armor through stuff. there's not a ton of combat overall and almost every encounter is pretty short so it's hardly a fatal flaw, plus you can carry so many healing items that even if you were to actually come close to dying it never really matters.

the back quarter of the game feels a bit weaker than the rest and there is the issue of the dialogue skip being weird and kind of unusable. i think the money vs badges economy is a little hosed. i don't play games in a completionist way so i didn't expect to get all of them but it felt like playing pretty 'normally' you'd have a chance to buy only a few of them, especially if you put any money into consumables or the various wallet size upgrades. it's still one of the games i've enjoyed most this year so don't take this post as knocking it, just that it's very much a sequel to the first game and it seems to have little to no interest in being more than that, which is of course fine. if you like the first i highly recommend this one and if you have gamepass you should definitely check it out since you've got it anyway.

Rarity
Oct 21, 2010

~*4 LIFE*~

I said come in! posted:

I've been working on it since 1993, but I finally finished Myst with all of the puzzles completed. :toot:

An achievement almost 30 years in the making! Goongrats :hai:

ONE YEAR LATER
Apr 13, 2004

Fry old buddy, it's me, Bender!
Oven Wrangler

Mode 7 posted:

If somebody wants to play a game that is "gameplay driven" with an easy mode that entirely removes that challenge, and they do indeed "not play the game [they] paid for", why is that a problem for you? Someone choosing to experience the game differently from you - even if it is in a way that you feel invalidates the developer's intended experience - does not magically make their experience with it worthless.

"your not enjoying it in the right way"

Rarity
Oct 21, 2010

~*4 LIFE*~
I've noticed that Mercs 2 suffers a bit from empty open world syndrome in that the world they've created is so beautiful but it's so big that everything is spread out and there's a whole lot of empty space with nothing to do but admire the scenery and at the same time you're not spending enough time in places so you never get familiar with the world like you're learning your way around.

One upshot though is the draw distance is loving insane. Like I can be deep in the Amazon and see skyscrapers right on the horizon that are halfway across the map and in the words of Todd Howard 'see that skyscraper? you can go there'. Venezuela is incredibly pretty

EightFlyingCars
Jun 30, 2008

Mode 7 posted:

i can only speak for myself as a hard games liker but a big draw of them for me is the necessity of sitting down and figuring out The Hard Thing because once I do, hey, cool, now i can get onto the next Hard Thing. it's a really rewarding feeling and i've noticed that games which let me turn off that necessity are a lot less rewarding for me, personally, because then it feels like there's no point

i don't think all games need to be hard and there have been a bunch of hard games that didn't need to be nearly as hard as they were, like hollow knight, but sometimes the difficulty is the point. sometimes the frustration and the tension and the eventual relief is the point. it feels good to game out of your gourd and get one over on something that's been kicking your rear end

imo anyway

exquisite tea
Apr 21, 2007

Carly shook her glass, willing the ice to melt. "You still haven't told me what the mission is."

She leaned forward. "We are going to assassinate the bad men of Hollywood."

Developers are 100% entitled to their own vision in terms of a game's difficulty, but in turn, consumers are 100% in their right to question the presence or necessity of the difficulty. Lately this has trended towards fully customizable assists that seem agreeable to everyone except boomers who think you're corrupting the intended gameplay experience, whatever that's supposed to mean, so great all around.

Acerbatus
Jun 26, 2020

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
every game should have system shock's sliders where you can turn the plot up or down from the default setting.

I said come in! posted:

How does what I posted give you the impression that Guilty Gear Strive put no thought into its movie? It's one massive lore dump, there is almost no action sequences in it. The total running minutes of action is very little and spread way out over those 4 1/2 hours. That's not the problem at all, it's that there is too much of it. It's the exact opposite of what you would expect.

I didn't get that impression, more words to say nothing is usually a sign of a bad writer which is probably what you'd expect from a fighting game.

exquisite tea
Apr 21, 2007

Carly shook her glass, willing the ice to melt. "You still haven't told me what the mission is."

She leaned forward. "We are going to assassinate the bad men of Hollywood."

Most fighting game storylines are total nonsense, but Strive's story is unfortunately the kind of nonsense that feels the need to explain itself with laborious exposition and characters making the anime thunk face over computer screens. But the explanations are themselves unsatisfying and chew up a ton of time that should have gone into action. The movie could have been 90 minutes long with absolutely nothing of value lost.

CharlieFoxtrot
Mar 27, 2007

organize digital employees

Should have had the difficulty conversation earlier, we should be past it according to the calendar

https://twitter.com/CheerfulGoth/status/1248708148027887617?s=19

Stux
Nov 17, 2006

i think there should be standardised accessibility stuff, built into engines so small devs odnt have to implement it themselves, and then all difficulty options should be destroyed and games ship with one intended difficulty.

I said come in!
Jun 22, 2004

Buy the PC version and use CheatEngine.

Red Alert 2 Yuris Revenge
May 8, 2006

"My brain is amazing! It's full of wrinkles, and... Uh... Wait... What am I trying to say?"

exquisite tea posted:

Developers are 100% entitled to their own vision in terms of a game's difficulty, but in turn, consumers are 100% in their right to question the presence or necessity of the difficulty. Lately this has trended towards fully customizable assists that seem agreeable to everyone except boomers who think you're corrupting the intended gameplay experience, whatever that's supposed to mean, so great all around.

i agree that the trend is good, and one thing i hope to see is more player control over things like the speed of games. i love jrpgs as a genre but almost all of them would be better for me, a person who has been playing them for like three decades, if they had the option to makes parts of it just go much faster. you could argue that that means that the game should simply be faster, but i would not want to put my preffered pace on someone who likes to/can only play more slowly. difficulty and its implementation is hard to discuss online because often the conversation devolves into 'it is beatable so it is good' which is a pretty narrow way to analyze difficulty for stuff in games.

Rarity
Oct 21, 2010

~*4 LIFE*~

CharlieFoxtrot posted:

Should have had the difficulty conversation earlier, we should be past it according to the calendar

Not sure what next month's discourse has to do with video games

Ciaphas
Nov 20, 2005

> BEWARE, COWARD :ovr:

callin it quits on Death's Door

take your several-phase final boss with obstacle courses, no healing and no checkpointing, and finicky unreliable hookshot controls and cram it up your rear end

nice art and music tho

hatty
Feb 28, 2011

Pork Pro

Ciaphas posted:

take your several-phase final boss with obstacle courses, no healing and no checkpointing, and finicky unreliable hookshot controls and cram it up your rear end

I will thank you

wuggles
Jul 12, 2017

CharlieFoxtrot posted:

September Chat Thread: this economy: bad

Zaphod42
Sep 13, 2012

If there's anything more important than my ego around, I want it caught and shot now.

Acerbatus posted:

Even if not, if you're going to do 4 hours of anime cutscenes they may as well be a good 4 hours. Seems like a silly excuse.

Which isn't to say its awful, I haven't gotten to play it yet. (Actually....tempted to pick it up now. I've never been good at guilty gear though)

Zaphod42
Sep 13, 2012

If there's anything more important than my ego around, I want it caught and shot now.

Mode 7 posted:

Its not a problem for me at all, but the whole context of this conversation is people saying that these things should exist, attacking the developers for not providing it. They shouldn't have to. If they do, cool, sometimes its easier to do than other times. I'm just saying if the developers for a game don't, then it isn't really fair to demand they do necessarily, depending. Sometimes that game isnt' for you, cool, buy a different game instead.

ONE YEAR LATER posted:

"your not enjoying it in the right way"

This is a gross misrepresentation of the entire context of this conversation. Really frustrating. We can't have actual discourse because goons just want to snipe things.

Especially when I wrote literally paragraphs on how I feel most games shouldn't even have fail-states and easy modes are a good thing. Agh.

I said come in! posted:

Buy the PC version and use CheatEngine.

One of the best parts of the PC platform. Built-in free gameshark!

The thing is though I think a lot of the people demanding easy modes would recognize that a full on invincibility mode makes the game trivial and so kinda boring. If you really just want to see the story that works, but otherwise it may not satisfy people. Which is part of what I'm trying to dig into, difficulty and challenge can be hard to balance.

Zaphod42 fucked around with this message at 22:58 on Aug 29, 2021

Electric Phantasm
Apr 7, 2011

YOSPOS

Great Ace Attorney coming in hot with a sassy witch

Also when she looks straight at the camera her hat covers up one of her eyes

homeless snail
Mar 14, 2007

im of the opinion that easy mode is fine, as long as you preface every post with (easy mode player) so I can easily disregard your opinions on the game

Zil
Jun 4, 2011

Satanically Summoned Citrus

homeless snail posted:

im of the opinion that easy mode is fine, as long as you preface every post with (easy mode player) so I can easily disregard your opinions on the game

What if someone is an easy mode poster?

homeless snail
Mar 14, 2007

Zil posted:

What if someone is an easy mode poster?
yeah we have a few of those itt too, vile creatures

RBA Starblade
Apr 28, 2008

Going Home.

Games Idiot Court Jester

homeless snail posted:

yeah we have a few of those itt too, vile creatures

It's you, the hero of kvatch

Electric Phantasm
Apr 7, 2011

YOSPOS

RBA Starblade posted:

It's you, the hero of kvatch

Bye!

Zaphod42
Sep 13, 2012

I need to find a good Ace Attorney Lets Player because I am garbage at those games but I do like the story sometimes. (easy mode player)

I just always run into adventure mode syndrome where I know what the solution is but I'm not going about it in the right way or the right order or something and I get tripped up.

Electric Phantasm
Apr 7, 2011

YOSPOS

Zaphod42 posted:

I need to find a good Ace Attorney Lets Player because I am garbage at those games but I do like the story sometimes. (easy mode player)

I just always run into adventure mode syndrome where I know what the solution is but I'm not going about it in the right way or the right order or something and I get tripped up.

Would you be interested in Great Ace Attorney's story mode? You turn it on and whenever you get stuck you can have the game play itself for you with the press of a button.

Zaphod42
Sep 13, 2012

Electric Phantasm posted:

Would you be interested in Great Ace Attorney's story mode? You turn it on and whenever you get stuck you can have the game play itself for you with the press of a button.

For that purpose it'd work fine, but then I gotta buy the game. I can stream it for free and I'm broke :haw:

That's cool they added that though, pretty sure the old ones didn't have that because I got stuck on DS. Or otherwise I missed it.

TheWorldsaStage
Sep 10, 2020

Andrast posted:

if by people you mean like ten people on twitter, sure

The actor kept getting hate and shaming messages on Twitter. Multiple articles from different sites were written about the fact a subset of people don't grasp antagonists are often bad people who do bad things. Not a lot thank God but enough to make waves, it wasn't just 10 people.

Waffleman_
Jan 20, 2011

I don't wanna I don't wanna I don't wanna I don't wanna!!!

https://twitter.com/LegacyKillaHD/status/1431925138417672195?s=20

RBA Starblade
Apr 28, 2008

Going Home.

Games Idiot Court Jester

Lmao God drat

The 7th Guest
Dec 17, 2003

i don't think this is true, i think all emotes are disabled

but also, wonder woman's thing is a lasso, did the movies give her a whip or something? she's not a Belmont

e: apparently it's a Catwoman emote that is disabled but some people were using it a couple of days ago prior to the emote ban, and epic probably realized the mega bad optics

The 7th Guest fucked around with this message at 02:07 on Aug 30, 2021

Jay Rust
Sep 27, 2011

I hate video games

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

homeless snail
Mar 14, 2007

check again. she is, in fact, a belmont and wonder woman 1984 is a wondervania