Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

The Wonder Weapon
Dec 16, 2006

14" it is, thanks.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

just another
Oct 16, 2009

these dead towns that make the maps wrong now

Motronic posted:

Get the smallest one you can get away with for the size of your logs.......they get heavy.

If the wood is particularly dense/difficult to cut a smaller bar on a larger cc saw works well (like, get the 18, put a 14" bar on it, or buy a 20 and put an 18 on it).

I've got a great 25" bar saw, but it only comes out when I ABSOLUTELY need it. For anything I can get away with I'm using my much lighter weight 16".
Any uses for bulk cut logs that I'm not thinking of before I haul them to the wood disposal site? There's a ridiculous amount of cut wood on the property from the previous owner and I'm about to create a whole bunch more opening up the garden.

I'd like to fool around with chainsaw milling one day but that day's not today.

e:
\/
I'll look into it, thanks!

just another fucked around with this message at 20:56 on Aug 25, 2021

Motronic
Nov 6, 2009

just another posted:

Any uses for bulk cut logs that I'm not thinking of before I haul them to the wood disposal site? There's a ridiculous amount of cut wood on the property from the previous owner and I'm about to create a whole bunch more opening up the garden.

I'd like to fool around with chainsaw milling one day but that day's not today.

If they're good logs you should look around for a place that will come get them, potentially even pay for for them. <My county> Hardwoods took all of my ash. Some of the very large stuff I even got paid for.

A lot of those places will take/know who will take stuff that is only good for firewood.

Any of those options are better than carting it off to disposal. Get it to someone who can use it if at all possible.

The Wonder Weapon
Dec 16, 2006

You could probably stick a sign on your front lawn that says you have a lot of firewood and to email you, and coordinate with someone to come haul it all out of your yard for free. Bundles of firewood are outrageously expensive; people will come get logs at no cost if you just want it gone.

cruft
Oct 25, 2007

The Wonder Weapon posted:

You could probably stick a sign on your front lawn that says you have a lot of firewood and to email you, and coordinate with someone to come haul it all out of your yard for free. Bundles of firewood are outrageously expensive; people will come get logs at no cost if you just want it gone.

Have stove, can confirm.

just another
Oct 16, 2009

these dead towns that make the maps wrong now
A lot of it might be beyond redemption, unfortunately. Lots of rot.

Kaiser Schnitzel
Mar 29, 2006

Schnitzel mit uns

The Wonder Weapon posted:

The cost of firewood is in turning standing trees into cut and split firewood, not in the logs. Plenty of people still collect stuff off the roadside though, so it’s worth trying.

just another posted:

A lot of it might be beyond redemption, unfortunately. Lots of rot.
If they have been down for a while, I doubt a mill will want them. They need to be 10-12” diameter at least for most anyone to have any interest in sawing them.

Have a bonfire! Try out some hugelculture! Try growing mushrooms!

The Wonder Weapon
Dec 16, 2006

Kaiser Schnitzel posted:

The cost of firewood is in turning standing trees into cut and split firewood, not in the logs. Plenty of people still collect stuff off the roadside though, so it’s worth trying.

That makes a lot of sense. Congruent to your comment though, every time they cut a tree down on my street and leave the sections out on the curb, they don't make it to morning.

His Divine Shadow
Aug 7, 2000

I'm not a fascist. I'm a priest. Fascists dress up in black and tell people what to do.
I got a pretty small but long log that I am thinking of splitting, hewing the inside out of and turning into wooden gutters for my new shed.

cruft
Oct 25, 2007

Is there, like, a massive run on contractors due to COVID, or something?

I've called 5 electricians now and they're either no longer in business, not answering the phone and voicemail is full, or some dude's cell phone who says he'll swing by later in the day and I never hear from him again.

At this point I'd be willing to pay a premium to just to have a business actually exist and respond.

skipdogg
Nov 29, 2004
Resident SRT-4 Expert

cruft posted:

Is there, like, a massive run on contractors due to COVID, or something?

I've called 5 electricians now and they're either no longer in business, not answering the phone and voicemail is full, or some dude's cell phone who says he'll swing by later in the day and I never hear from him again.

At this point I'd be willing to pay a premium to just to have a business actually exist and respond.

Yes. Many contractors have more work than they can deal with. Try a local FB group or NextDoor, might find someone there. I despise social media, but it can be handy for local recommendations.

PremiumSupport
Aug 17, 2015
Also try some of the bigger Plumbing/Electrical/HVAC combo shops in your local area. In my area they will pick up the phone and usually have time in their schedule to squeeze in smaller jobs around the big high-paying ones.

PageMaster
Nov 4, 2009
Is home water testing done through companies that come to your house or are the kits like for radon and asbestos you can send in for a couple bucks? Took our first look at the city water report and distribution system lead content says between <1 and 78 ppb which tells me nothing, but all the commercial companies around here are lot Culligan or similar selling water give water filter systems and their websites so not look impartial at all.

Edit: looks like they have home test kits for lead for only 20 bucks. Mail in lab tests are maybe $255.

PageMaster fucked around with this message at 15:18 on Aug 27, 2021

Motronic
Nov 6, 2009

You probably want to talk to you county ag extension about water testing. The $20 kits are unlikely to test for much, and aren't going to be done in a certified lab. The more expensive tests are done in certified labs and cover a lot more, some of which you may need, some of which you may not. There are various test types and levels, and they're going to cost different amounts. A good lab will help you figure out which tests are pertinent for your concerns or problems.

The certified lab tests where someone comes to your home to take the samples are for legal reasons, like if you are filing a law suit against someone. The person collecting the sample is there to preserve chain of custody. It's unlikely this is the kind of test you need, and even if you do you get the other kind first to know that it's actual evidence of the thing you need and your lawyer should be arranging this.

Arsenic Lupin
Apr 12, 2012

This particularly rapid💨 unintelligible 😖patter💁 isn't generally heard🧏‍♂️, and if it is🤔, it doesn't matter💁.

Motronic posted:

You probably want to talk to you county ag extension about water testing.
That's a really smart idea. We just moved to a house with a well, and we were able to pay to get the water tested for all sorts of stuff. The county extension will be serving a lot of people who have wells, and will know who to put you in touch with.

Motronic
Nov 6, 2009

Arsenic Lupin posted:

That's a really smart idea. We just moved to a house with a well, and we were able to pay to get the water tested for all sorts of stuff. The county extension will be serving a lot of people who have wells, and will know who to put you in touch with.

My county extension actually does the testing (at the state Ag school they are associated with) and keeps a searchable database of the results for the entire state so you can see if your water is somehow outside of the norm for your general location.

brugroffil
Nov 30, 2015

My county's public health department offers water testing for a reasonable fee.

Water treatment companies can come out and test your water with a limited battery of tests. They can pick up iron, hardness, etc.

You can do a full panel via mail but it isn't cheap. I've used https://www.watercheck.com for my well a couple of times.

PageMaster
Nov 4, 2009
Does ag extension just cover ground water? I'm a little confused since we're in public water and not a well. I'm not sure what their annual results for their distribution system range the way they do.

NomNomNom
Jul 20, 2008
Please Work Out
The homebrewing crowd is very into water quality as well, with Ward Labs being the big name in mail order testing.

Motronic
Nov 6, 2009

PageMaster posted:

Does ag extension just cover ground water? I'm a little confused since we're in public water and not a well. I'm not sure what their annual results for their distribution system range the way they do.

Ag extensions aren't a universal thing in what they will support. Like I said, mine has a full on certified lab at the state school and yes, they will test anything from your private well to water system water, to irrigation ponds, to streams, etc......

Water testing is more complicated than what you probably think. Even sampling is more complicated than you think, because depending on what you're looking for you may need to take samples from various locations, pre and post any in-home treatment, "first draw" samples vs. regular samples.

The point of my suggestion of talking to your count ag extension is that they probably have someone that knows all of this, and they aren't there trying to upsell you on things to make a profit like a commercial water testing facility is likely to do.

PageMaster
Nov 4, 2009
Oh got it, that makes sense. Thanks!

Toebone
Jul 1, 2002

Start remembering what you hear.
Anyone have experience with wireless intercoms? Do they work well enough to go from a basement to second floor, in an old house with plaster & lathe walls? I really just need chime or bell, maybe a wireless doorbell mounted near the windows?

couldcareless
Feb 8, 2009

Spheal used Swagger!
With Ida barreling towards us, I cleaned up yard, got everything loose inside, and filmed whole house for an insurance inventory.
We had already planned a vacation leaving this morning which was fortunate. We wished the house good luck, but I couldn't help but look through each room fondly wondering if this was the last time I'll see them.

Oh well, insurance docs are in our fire safe in possession of the inlaws.

actionjackson
Jan 12, 2003

Has anyone ever had cabinet doors and drawers put in that use the Blum tip-on system?

https://www.blum.com/us/en/products/motion-technologies/tip-on/overview/

I'm having this retrofitted onto my framed cabinets as part of giving it a frameless look, and it's... not cheap. But the fact that it's framed definitely requires some extra labor, because the spots you would normally drill into for the triggers aren't really the same. For my linen closet, you can just drill into there, but for the vanity, the area you would drill into for the doors isn't deep enough. so I assume that might need to add some sort of support piece first.

brugroffil
Nov 30, 2015

Ikea cabinets/storage stuff have something similar. May even be Blum since some of their fancier drawer hardware is Blum the days. It's fine, and I guess helpful if you want to go handleless.

I had to add extra support in a cabinet or two when I went to full overlay doors/drawers in my kitchen, but it wasn't a ton more labor. Cut a piece of maple 1x stock, glue and nail, sand and paint with the rest of the frame.

nashona
May 8, 2014

Though she be but little, she is fierce

I posted this over in the one of the apparently two interior design threads but i thought I'd xpost here

nashona posted:

I have a pair of closets in one of our bedrooms and I'm stumped on how to configure them.
They have slanted ceilings and aren't very wide. The PO had wire shelving badly installed along one of tne long walls making it hard to actually get in to reach items in the back. Ideally, I was hoping to use these closets to store craft supplies, bags, and shoes. In addition to national closet chains, I have come across a local one, they all have free estimates but i don't mind doing it myself. Also, the examples I've found so far all have wider closets.

My initial thought is shelving along the short back wall with hooks along the sides to the front. I just wonder if there are other options I'm not seeing.

The closet is 4' deep, 2'9" across and the ceiling slopes from 7'3" in the front to 2'10" in the back.

actionjackson
Jan 12, 2003

brugroffil posted:

Ikea cabinets/storage stuff have something similar. May even be Blum since some of their fancier drawer hardware is Blum the days. It's fine, and I guess helpful if you want to go handleless.

I had to add extra support in a cabinet or two when I went to full overlay doors/drawers in my kitchen, but it wasn't a ton more labor. Cut a piece of maple 1x stock, glue and nail, sand and paint with the rest of the frame.

how did you do areas where you have two doors, with the frame in between? Because with mine the part of the frame where you'd put the triggers is only maybe 1" deep, not deep enough to support the hole for the triggers.

nashona posted:

I posted this over in the one of the apparently two interior design threads but i thought I'd xpost here

hey i replied to you in the other thread just now :)

actionjackson fucked around with this message at 20:49 on Aug 28, 2021

QuarkJets
Sep 8, 2008

Almost every outlet in our house has a cover with a super gaudy metallic design, would anyone actually buy these things or should they go straight in the trash?

While shopping for replacements I saw an outlet cover that has a $30 MSRP lol

cruft
Oct 25, 2007

QuarkJets posted:

would anyone actually buy these things

The answer to this question, in almost any context, is yes.

The real question is whether you want to bother with trying to find that person.

nm
Jan 28, 2008

"I saw Minos the Space Judge holding a golden sceptre and passing sentence upon the Martians. There he presided, and around him the noble Space Prosecutors sought the firm justice of space law."

QuarkJets posted:

Admittedly, I kinda wanna replace my switch covers with brass ones, but they only cost $30 for a 4 switch one.

BadSamaritan
May 2, 2008

crumb by crumb in this big black forest

nashona posted:

Sup awkward closet buddy. Have you considered a drawer unit (like an elfa mesh thing with a shelf top) in the lower half, then shelves (mounting supports on side walls rather than rear) and/or hooks depending on storage needs up the slanted area? Shelves tend to work well for bag storage, and drawers are good for craft miscellany.

With a drawer unit you’d probably still have some dead space in front, but you’d have a lot of room to extend the drawer fully so you can keep it organized.

actionjackson
Jan 12, 2003

QuarkJets posted:

Almost every outlet in our house has a cover with a super gaudy metallic design, would anyone actually buy these things or should they go straight in the trash?

ornamentalism sucks

I did all my outlets with leviton decora, except for the dimmers which are lutron

i love the decora plates especially because they have no visible screws https://www.homedepot.com/p/Leviton-Plus-1-Gang-Screwless-Snap-On-Decora-Wall-Plate-White-R72-80301-00W/100199643

The only "problem" is that for areas where there is no switch, I use this insert to fill in the space, but the insert does not fit completely flush :mad:

https://www.homedepot.com/p/Leviton-Decora-Plastic-Adapter-Blank-No-Hole-Gray-80414-GY/301753393

BigFactory
Sep 17, 2002

nashona posted:

What about some shelves up high where the back wall is closer to you, and something long and low on wheels down below? Stuff you use less often can go in the back of the cart, but you just pull it out when you need it.

SpeedFreek
Jan 10, 2008
And Im Lobster Jesus!

Kaiser Schnitzel posted:

They need to be 10-12” diameter at least for most anyone to have any interest in sawing them.

Is there a size/species guide where taking them in to get milled is worth it or does it come down to how well you know the guy with the sawmill? My elms and ash trees have been decimated and I have a few walnut trees that can come down too, all but a few really big ones are on the smaller side of that 10-12" and lumber would be nice.

BigFactory
Sep 17, 2002
I replaced my ugly old kitchen faucet a few weeks ago with a new one that instead of having 2 faucets and a separate sprayer it has one lever thing and the sprayer is built in, so there’s an extra hole for a soap dispenser thing. but we don’t use liquid soap so it was just sitting there empty until I got the idea to fill it up with the cheapest vodka I could find. now I can use that for disinfecting stuff or topping off drinks. I think it’s a good solution. Would recommend.

QuarkJets
Sep 8, 2008

Apparently in the PNW it's common to mount a TV above a gas fireplace, but this seems like a bad idea to me? I have never owned a house with a fireplace before so this is not something that I have experience with. Any thoughts from the thread?

SpartanIvy
May 18, 2007
Hair Elf

QuarkJets posted:

Apparently in the PNW it's common to mount a TV above a gas fireplace, but this seems like a bad idea to me? I have never owned a house with a fireplace before so this is not something that I have experience with. Any thoughts from the thread?

My Uncle and Aunt have theirs mounted above their gas fireplace and as far as I know they haven't had any issues. I agree though that it seems like a bad idea.

devmd01
Mar 7, 2006

Elektronik
Supersonik
As long as you have a mantle to help deflect the heat away I wouldn’t worry about it too much. I was worried about that in our last house but some time spent with an IR thermometer while a raging fire was going alleviated those concerns. That TV was mounted up there for a good 7 years before we moved and still use it today.

The bigger problem is the lovely viewing angle.

brugroffil
Nov 30, 2015

It is an aesthetic nightmare

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

QuarkJets
Sep 8, 2008

Yeah we have a mantle but it's also a 65" TV, that'd be a pretty big angle from eye level to TV center even in this largish room. I guess if we were in recliners that could be fine, but we have a couch and a somewhat normal chair