Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Combat Pretzel
Jun 23, 2004

No, seriously... what kurds?!

MiddleOne posted:

What really? I think I stopped watching very quickly past the halfway point.
Same. But then again, I remember nothing about it, except that Tricia Helfer's in it.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Mu Zeta
Oct 17, 2002

Me crush ass to dust

There was another scifi mini series where Charles Dance played a demon from space.

Unkempt
May 24, 2003

...perfect spiral, scientists are still figuring it out...

Mu Zeta posted:

There was another scifi mini series where Charles Dance played a demon from space.

'Childhood's End', from the Arthur C Clarke book? Vaguely recall thinking that one was OK.

Alhazred
Feb 16, 2011

Oasx posted:

Lost is still a great show, especially the ending. But it's also very much a product of its time in regards to female characters, people of color etc.

And yet it was groundbreaking. Daniel Dae Kim said that it was the first time he actually got to kiss someone on screen for example.

Open Source Idiom posted:

I won't say that Sophie Okenado's performance on Brittania represents the high point of her career

It certainly isn't the low point of her career: https://www.imdb.com/title/tt0112281/?ref_=nm_flmg_act_72

Oasx
Oct 11, 2006

Freshly Squeezed

The United States posted:

My favorite thing about Lost was when a character would get some much needed development in the flashback as usual so you think you finally know what they're about but then the actor gets arrested for a DUI and then we get another flashback that undoes all that development and it turns out that no, they were actually a real poo poo and then they die.

I am not sure which character you are referring to.

There is a myth that Cynthia Watros and Michelle Rodriguez were fired due to DUI's, but there really is no evidence of that. Daniel Dae Kim also got a DUI during Lost, but he wasn't fired.

Combat Pretzel
Jun 23, 2004

No, seriously... what kurds?!

Oasx posted:

There is a myth that Cynthia Watros and Michelle Rodriguez were fired due to DUI's, but there really is no evidence of that.
Both got booked together on a DUI, both get axed. That's one mighty coincidence.

zoux
Apr 28, 2006

RIP Ed Asner. 91 years old.

Oasx
Oct 11, 2006

Freshly Squeezed

Combat Pretzel posted:

Both got booked together on a DUI, both get axed. That's one mighty coincidence.

The death of Ana Lucia made perfect sense in terms of the story, but I will admit that Libby's story was left unfinished.
Coincidences do happen, and for all we know the actors had been out drinking because they were having their last days of shooting.

MiddleOne
Feb 17, 2011

edit: Nvm

swickles
Aug 21, 2006

I guess that I don't need that though
Now you're just some QB that I used to know
Also wasn't that Rodriguez's 3rd DUI or something? At some point her insurance makes keeping her on the show impossible.

Ugly In The Morning
Jul 1, 2010
Pillbug

swickles posted:

Also wasn't that Rodriguez's 3rd DUI or something? At some point her insurance makes keeping her on the show impossible.

It was a DUI that violated her probation from her last DUI.

Open Source Idiom
Jan 4, 2013
Michelle Rodriguez was always on a single season contract, but yeah, Cynthia Watros was unexpected.

The official story at the time was that Libby was killed off because they felt that audiences wouldn't care about Ana-Lucia's death. But, like, the second season is an utter mess and you get the sense there were a lot of behind the scenes problems going on.

Rhyno
Mar 22, 2003
Probation
Can't post for 10 years!
Didn't Adewale Akinnuoye-Agbaje and Matthew Fox get into an actual fist fight on set or something?

Open Source Idiom
Jan 4, 2013

Rhyno posted:

Didn't Adewale Akinnuoye-Agbaje and Matthew Fox get into an actual fist fight on set or something?

I'm not saying they didn't, but this is the first I've ever heard of this, LOL holy poo poo.

I remember that Fox was not liked by cast mates -- Dominic Monaghan publicly called him out for being physically abusive towards women, IIRC.

Rhyno
Mar 22, 2003
Probation
Can't post for 10 years!
I have no source, I just remember everyone hated Fox on set.

AARD VARKMAN
May 17, 1993
I can confirm it's true. Here's my source:

Rhyno posted:

Mu Zeta
Oct 17, 2002

Me crush ass to dust

Also one dude is still a working actor and the other isn't so it's not a wild guess which is the rear end in a top hat everyone hates.

Open Source Idiom
Jan 4, 2013
I mean, yeah, gently caress Fox, but this is still the first I'm hearing of this.

Rhyno
Mar 22, 2003
Probation
Can't post for 10 years!
I'm pretty sure I read it in a Lost thread. Didn't Ekko get killed off with no real closure?

muscles like this!
Jan 17, 2005

IIRC the official explanation was that Adewale Akinnuoye-Agbaje decided he didn't like having to live in Hawaii for the extended period of time that being on the show required.

Arist
Feb 13, 2012

who, me?

Eko was abruptly killed off because his actor hated living in Hawaii.

Open Source Idiom
Jan 4, 2013
Yeah, because the actor's parents died and he wanted to go home.

X-O
Apr 28, 2002

Long Live The King!

Open Source Idiom posted:

Yeah, because the actor's parents died and he wanted to go home.

drat, Matthew Fox killed his parents to get him off the show? That's a little much.

Gaius Marius
Oct 9, 2012

No wonder people didn't like that guy

Rhyno
Mar 22, 2003
Probation
Can't post for 10 years!

X-O posted:

drat, Matthew Fox killed his parents to get him off the show? That's a little much.

That's why they fought I think.

I'm probably just mixing the wife beating accusations with him being hated in general. But I could swear there was bad blood.

zoux
Apr 28, 2006

muscles like this! posted:

IIRC the official explanation was that Adewale Akinnuoye-Agbaje decided he didn't like having to live in Hawaii for the extended period of time that being on the show required.

Imagine the horror

ruddiger
Jun 3, 2004

zoux posted:

Imagine the horror

Being stuck on an island while your parents die sounds loving horrifying I agree.

Timby
Dec 23, 2006

Your mother!

Rhyno posted:

I'm probably just mixing the wife beating accusations with him being hated in general. But I could swear there was bad blood.

Per Desperate Networks by Bill Carter and The Revolution was Televised by Alan Sepinwall, Fox was wildly disliked by both cast and crew during shooting of the Lost pilot. But one person insisted on keeping him on.

JJ Abrams

newts
Oct 10, 2012

Rhyno posted:

I remembered it as being bad blood between Adewale Akinnuoye-Agbaje and the actor who played Locke, whose name is totally a blank space in my mind right now.

muscles like this!
Jan 17, 2005

I watched the animated Witcher movie and have to say, a little too much child murder for my tastes.

Timby
Dec 23, 2006

Your mother!

newts posted:

I remembered it as being bad blood between Adewale Akinnuoye-Agbaje and the actor who played Locke, whose name is totally a blank space in my mind right now.

Terry O'Quinn, who is notoriously hard to work with, just a real pill. Abrams cast him as Locke sight-unseen because they'd worked together in the past and partially wrote the role for him.

He was originally supposed to have a much larger role in the first X-Files movie but director Rob Bowman just couldn't handle him.

Cactus
Jun 24, 2006

muscles like this! posted:

I watched the animated Witcher movie and have to say, a little too much child murder for my tastes.

I haven't seen it yet but I take it you're referring to a trial of the grasses scene? Before I ask, I just want to say regardless of your answer that it is, of course, perfectly fine and normal to find any amount of child murder too much. That said: Was it done well or was it really edgy and gratuitous? I just want to know what tone to expect going in.

For reference, in my opinion a show that portrays uncomfortable material in a "good" way would be The Americans, and a show that portrays uncomfortable material in a "bad" way would be late season Game of Thrones.

muscles like this!
Jan 17, 2005

The violence in the movie as a whole is very over the top and gratuitous, which is a shame because outside of the gore the actual fights are well animated. As for how much child murder, there is a scene with the trial but the movie also opens with three little girls being torn to shreds by a monster.

Mu Zeta
Oct 17, 2002

Me crush ass to dust

I'll admit for large parts of the movie I thought I was watching the Castlevania cartoon. Very similar voice acting, art, fighting, though I know it's a different animation studio.

Cactus
Jun 24, 2006

Ok thanks, good to know. I don't mind gratuitous violence per se, but I do sometimes feel a bit icky, or cringey, when I'm watching something like that where it's obvious the people making it are enjoying getting to be all edgy a little too much.

Shageletic
Jul 25, 2007
Probation
Can't post for 22 minutes!

Mu Zeta posted:

I'll admit for large parts of the movie I thought I was watching the Castlevania cartoon. Very similar voice acting, art, fighting, though I know it's a different animation studio.

is it funny tho? That was the secret sauce of Castlevania

GreenNight
Feb 19, 2006
Turning the light on the darkest places, you and I know we got to face this now. We got to face this now.

No. It's pretty harsh. Nothing about the child murders were funny. They were brutal.

Google Butt
Oct 4, 2005

Xenology is an unnatural mixture of science fiction and formal logic. At its core is a flawed assumption...

that an alien race would be psychologically human.

how trash is this motherland: fort Salem show

Slamhound
Mar 27, 2010

Google Butt posted:

how trash is this motherland: fort Salem show
It's not trash, it's just not great. It's a mid-tier CW show from an alternate timeline.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

exquisite tea
Apr 21, 2007

Carly shook her glass, willing the ice to melt. "You still haven't told me what the mission is."

She leaned forward. "We are going to assassinate the bad men of Hollywood."

Not sure where to ask this, but somebody itt might know:

I'm looking for a specific clip from Scrubs, or just the episode name in general, where JD is helping some old lady fix her tire. Then as she's driving away he goes "oh wait, it's righty tighty lefty loosey not lefty tighty righty loosey! Oh well, felt good to help though," as her tire falls off in the distance. I could be misremembering some or all of this scene, but hopefully someone more knowledgeable in Scrubs lore can help point me in the right direction!