Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Boba Pearl
Dec 27, 2019

by Athanatos

Ciaphas posted:

something about that is doing the escher staircase thing to my brain

what're those "towers"

you get tilted at them?

you've never gotten tilted at the towers?

e: they're elevated buttons, so you can set how far away from your knuckle they are, so you can hit something like 30 keys without moving your fingers more then a few microns

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Boba Pearl
Dec 27, 2019

by Athanatos
you enclose your hand in it like a chastity belt for gaming.

Rusty
Sep 28, 2001
Dinosaur Gum

Boba Pearl posted:

I get post my controller again

Does the whole unit act like a mouse or are you using an analogue stick for mouselook? If so, that doesn't seem like a great solution to anything.

Zil
Jun 4, 2011

Satanically Summoned Citrus

Boba Pearl posted:

you enclose your hand in it like a chastity belt for gaming.

Games › Steam Thread: like a chastity belt for gaming

Bloody Hedgehog
Dec 12, 2003

💥💥🤯💥💥
Gotta nuke something

Boba Pearl posted:

e: they're elevated buttons, so you can set how far away from your knuckle they are, so you can hit something like 30 keys without moving your fingers more then a few microns

Not sure you understand how small a micron is.

Ciaphas
Nov 20, 2005

> BEWARE, COWARD :ovr:

Boba Pearl posted:

you get tilted at them?

you've never gotten tilted at the towers?

oh poo poo, ok, now i understand what i'm looking at :sweatdrop:

that's actually kinda neat

(e)

Rusty posted:

Does the whole unit act like a mouse or are you using an analogue stick for mouselook? If so, that doesn't seem like a great solution to anything.
i assume your right hand is on the mouse while your left hand goes in the Chastity Controller

Hwurmp
May 20, 2005

Boba Pearl posted:

at least it doesn't have neon lights all over it

Mescal
Jul 23, 2005

Ciaphas posted:

por que no los dos

i should hate this. why don't i hate this.

you're joking but this is what I want :smith: I can't/I hate using keys but the stick aiming leaves something to leave desired in Portal-Halo. It doesn't allow simultaneous controller+key.

I've been playing Prey lately and the controller aiming is amazing! You can spin around in an instant, but you can also get very fine aiming. I've never been able to get that response curve out of any other game.

Castor Poe
Jul 19, 2010

Jar Jar is the key to all of this.
Thanks for all the recommendations guys!

repiv
Aug 13, 2009

Eason the Fifth posted:

Are there pressure-sensitive keyboards or anything like that for creating the granularity of stick movement?

Edit lol whelp ^^

https://wooting.io

It exists but keyboard input is inherently digital so I think you have to use their driver to map WASD to a virtual controller stick

ChrisBTY
Mar 29, 2012

this glorious monument

Fruits of the sea posted:

Thanks for the review! Think I’ll give it a pass until a sale or something. A big part of why I liked the previous games was that I could sneak around and hoover up gold and upgrades or try to sequence break, I’ll be sad to see that go.

I'm glad I could be of help because yeah, that's exactly what you can't do.
Basically I'm playing the hell out of this game but I can't stop thinking about how much I liked the older games better as I do.

deep dish peat moss
Jul 27, 2006

Castor Poe posted:

What are some good X-Com like (gameplay wise)?

Edit: I already have Invisible Inc

Battle Brothers is the best permadeath tactical strategy RPG around if you don't mind moving to a dark, low fantasy, melee-heavy setting where you fight largely in open fields. It has an overworld that you march your party around on to visit cities, recruit, shop, do contracts, etc. in instead of the x-com build a base and research things strategy layer though, and it also uses hexes instead of a grid.

As an enormous x-com fan who has been playing the series since I was a kid and first saw my cousin playing UFO Defense, this is from my top 15 most played games of all time list on Steam :shrug:

Beyond that I would strongly second the mention of Xenonauts on the last page if you want a game that's like x-com rather than a game that's like XCOM, it's a faithful re-imagining of UFO defense and the closest thing you'll find to playing UFO Defense in a modern engine, and if that's your jam it's very good.

Hwurmp posted:

at least it doesn't have neon lights all over it

I bought a pre-built PC a while back because it was the same price as just buying the video card alone and it came with big dorky rainbow LED lights both outside the case and plastered all over everything inside the case, with a transparent side. I hate it and so do my cats but literally every single non-gamer person who has seen it has thought it was incredibly cool.

deep dish peat moss fucked around with this message at 04:06 on Aug 30, 2021

Hwurmp
May 20, 2005

deep dish peat moss posted:

I bought a pre-built PC a while back because it was the same price as just buying the video card alone and it came with big dorky LED lights both outside the case and plastered all over everything inside the case, with a transparent side. I hate it and so do my cats but literally every single non-gamer person who has seen it has thought it was incredibly cool.

confirmed: non-gamers know nothing about cool

Owl Inspector
Sep 14, 2011

As an enormous x-com fan who has been playing the series since I was a kid and first saw my cousin playing UFO Defense, this is from my top 15 most played games of all time list on Steam :shrug:

where do you see your most played list?

Artelier
Jan 23, 2015

Castor Poe posted:

What are some good X-Com like (gameplay wise)?

Edit: I already have Invisible Inc

The closest to modern X-Com is probably Troubleshooter, which is Korean X-Com with a lot of stats that you can pump up.

Peaceful Anarchy
Sep 18, 2005
sXe
I am the math man.

Gay Rat Wedding posted:

where do you see your most played list?
Your profile, click the big games link on the right with the number of games you own.

Assepoester
Jul 18, 2004
Probation
Can't post for 10 years!
Melman v2
If you're looking for more Max Payne and more jank, look no further than GDQ favorite El Matador for less than a dollar ($0.59)

https://isthereanydeal.com/game/elmatador/info/

https://www.gamersgate.com/product/el-matador/

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ubpdom03SjE

Iverron
May 13, 2012

Played a lot of The Ascent today and boy is it nice to look at.

deep dish peat moss
Jul 27, 2006

The United States posted:

If you're looking for more Max Payne and more jank, look no further than GDQ favorite El Matador for less than a dollar ($0.59)

https://isthereanydeal.com/game/elmatador/info/

https://www.gamersgate.com/product/el-matador/

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ubpdom03SjE

:allears: Has anyone ever made a game that is explicitly all about abusing glitchy physics and breaking the game?

victrix
Oct 30, 2007

I love how lots of people are talking about XCOM and xcom-alikes, and no one has mentioned Phoenix Point :v:

congrats to Gollop on creating the Diet Tab of xcom games

Zil
Jun 4, 2011

Satanically Summoned Citrus

victrix posted:

I love how lots of people are talking about XCOM and xcom-alikes, and no one has mentioned Phoenix Point :v:

congrats to Gollop on creating the Diet Tab of xcom games

I had never heard of it till now.

deep dish peat moss
Jul 27, 2006

I had fun with Phoenix Point when I played it earlier this year, it's an okay game, the only thing bad about it is how hard it missed the mark on its original promises. As a completely stand-alone game it's "fine" but not recommendation-worthy in an oversaturated genre

Boba Pearl
Dec 27, 2019

by Athanatos

Mescal posted:

you're joking but this is what I want :smith: I can't/I hate using keys but the stick aiming leaves something to leave desired in Portal-Halo. It doesn't allow simultaneous controller+key.

I've been playing Prey lately and the controller aiming is amazing! You can spin around in an instant, but you can also get very fine aiming. I've never been able to get that response curve out of any other game.

Boba Pearl posted:

For the record, that's literally what the above one is, and outside of very few games, it tends to work right out of the box on everything, the joystick is analog, and works with both direct input and xinput, there are a ton of steam configs that will make it work with your system as well.

I wouldn't recommend getting the Azeron as your first one though, because they're each custom made and cost 200$ with like every piece being color customizable and an engraved name plate, but there are similar controllers that achieve the same effect for really cheap. (Well $130 Idk what is cheap anymore when it comes to tech peripherals.)

https://www.amazon.com/Razer-Orbweaver-Chroma-Progammable-Adjustable/dp/B013P0HW7K/
https://www.amazon.com/Razer-Tartarus-Progammable-Detachable-Mecha-Membrane/dp/B07754PYFK/

If you're willing to go used / 3rd market, the best of this kind of weird device is the Logitech G13, but it's not in production so you have to buy it from Ebay or somewhere similar. The good news is that people find this tech very weird and almost no-one likes to use them, so you can find one for 60$

https://www.ebay.com/b/Logitech-G13/117042/bn_7023349688

Boba Pearl
Dec 27, 2019

by Athanatos
They're also way more ergonomic, I use one of these on the left hand and a vertical mouse, and i'm basically completely avoiding any chance of RSI. I'm terrified about that, because our generation will be the first one using computers from since we were born. There's no way that doesn't destroy your body.

e: I'm pre-ordering a custom azeron, and this is the color scheme I'm thinking of going with.

Boba Pearl fucked around with this message at 07:18 on Aug 30, 2021

nessin
Feb 7, 2010

:allears: Has anyone ever made a game that is explicitly all about abusing glitchy physics and breaking the game?

Goat Simulator.

Broken Cog
Dec 29, 2009

We're all friends here

Cruelty Squad

Ghostlight
Sep 25, 2009

maybe for one second you can pause; try to step into another person's perspective, and understand that a watermelon is cursing me

In the last month I've played just over a day solid of Ragnorium and I don't know what I think about it.

I found it utterly fascinating, a bit heavy to play, very weirdly balanced, remarkably charming, superbly presented, and fairly janky.

In an alternate universe the galaxy has erupted into ideological warfare between the remaining two sects of humanity(?); the Clone Union whose primary interests are cloning themselves and fighting wars by dumping myriads of them onto planets to weave skirts; and, the Ark, whose only interest is scouring every other humanoid from the face of the galaxy. You play an AI(?) employed by the Clone Union to seed colonies from the clone banks and not have everyone die from their own poo poo in the first couple of days.

To start with, the game is impenetrable. It establishes a great atmosphere in the menu, guides you through loading up your first shuttle, and then you're in a shuttle flying over a chosen map. Once you've chosen a 'landing' spot, your clones and equipment will jettison from the shuttle and you'll switch to what can only be described as a UI.

Note the Commander Life - a stat that I know exists because it's displayed on the UI, but have absolutely no idea what it affects outside of sometimes you can choose an option that makes it go down a tiny portion. By the way, the Commander; which is you, is also an-game item with this HP bar, but enemies won't attack it so I have no idea why it's an actual item in-game other than your Research/Maintenance/Objectives interface is a diagetic menu emitted by this in-game item, which you can also have clones carry on their backs; causing the menu to jump around on the screen and be extremely hard to click.

From comatose clones on the ground you are expected to build your colony up, with the mothership passing overhead regularly to pick up production quotas. Everything sucks, which is a great way to start in a game about building things up. Your colonists start with a permanent mood debuff for just existing and their morale will slowly drop until, well, it's been at zero since about hour two now and I don't know any way of making it go up. Their hygiene will drop while they take shits in the woods and then either stamp it into the ground to get rid of it, or literally fist-fight a radioactive golem of it later - I've yet to find any way of cleaning, so the older clones all permanently smell like poo poo and have mood debuffs for having feet covered in poo poo.
The clones act autonomously, much in a way you'd expect an indirect builder would - you designate jobs to be done, and they'll do it while covering their basic needs. This works excellently and you can see what they're all working on - or not - at a glance. You'll build workstations, queue up jobs, set production thresholds, all the good stuff. It's good stuff.

Then you'll do missions. These are pre-set assignments that are generated(?) around your location and offer anything from just experience to level up your colonists, experience for you to level up you, Skill Capsules that can be applied to colonists and do anything from making them 15% better at cooking to magically making your well fill with water faster, or unlock more constructions, or maybe just unlock the ability to make time pass faster in the game you're playing by pressing the keybind for it. This too is a diagetic item that one of your colonists has to carry on their back for you to be able to use the key listed in the game's controls menu for speeding up time without it just producing a little mechanical noise and doing nothing.

You'll do a mission to rescue a goose, then build a special backpack for the goose to hop into and ride around with you. I have no idea if the goose does anything other than provide moral support on the frontlines of the war against my own turds.

Eventually you'll build up enough Influence to buy another shuttle - which the game does not at all make clear initially is just additional supplies and clones for your existing colony, because it's exactly the same as how you started this game up until the point where you don't choose a new location to land in. While this is going on 'events' start happening - at the same time each day the entire universe gets paused and some extradimensional entity will give you three options for what's going to happen that day, with varying degrees of positivity and cost.

This brings us to essentially the loop of the game - keeping your colony running (ideally supplying products for your employer) while running missions to build up influence so you can buy more clones but also making sure you can afford to buy your way out of an event that might ruin you, and eventually progressing your way through the research tree so you can take on bigger threats.
All of the maps you'll try to do this on are hand-crafted, too, which is pretty impressive.

I feel like this post is a catharsis. Oh! I didn't even mention pathfinding. The pathfinding is probably the thing I've struggled with the most in game. I landed my colony right on top of some gas missiles or something, which I thought was a nice decorative feature to build around. Turned out their 'item space' was a lot larger than just the model, which introduced a lot of construction and layout workarounds because I now had large, invisible, rectangles that colonists couldn't walk through. At one point I unlocked spike traps and thought I would lay those out around my base to thin out invasions - well, I quickly found this to be a mistake, as while colonists would safely pathfind their way between the traps, they would do it by steeping between two then seemingly recalculate their entire journey plan before stepping between two more traps - my short minefield for enemies turned a small area outside my base into a labyrinth that took every colonist that entered it almost an entire day to walk through. It barely slowed enemies down.
The below screenshot became a regular sight at my colony once I unlocked the ability to send people out to get water, as the closest lake was located just around a mountain ridge and colonists would very often go the wrong way around the mountain ridge because I guess it was the closest route, despite it being about seven times further and often through packs of hostile mobs, including neutral quest characters that seemingly turned hostile just to kill these errant clones. Being knocked down likes this incurs a permanent debuff on your colonist.

e: now with picture

Overall, Ragnorium is A-tier sci-fi, banger aesthetic, and clearly a work of vision. The vision includes putting googly-eyes on your shits.

It's been an experience that no other game has given me. I've really enjoyed playing it but also I don't know if I want to again.

Ghostlight fucked around with this message at 10:39 on Aug 30, 2021

Mega Comrade
Apr 22, 2004

Listen buddy, we all got problems!

Boba Pearl posted:

I'm terrified about that, because our generation will be the first one using computers from since we were born. There's no way that doesn't destroy your body.

You know typewriters existed before computers right? We have lots and lots of data on this and simply standing up and stretching regularly will do you far more good than any expensive gadget.

The only thing worth spending good money on is a high quality office chair, none of those overpriced crappy gaming ones either that are shaped like racing car seats. We have a dedicated thread if anyone would like advice Office chair thread

Mega Comrade fucked around with this message at 08:37 on Aug 30, 2021

Impermanent
Apr 1, 2010
there are some specialty keyboards and input devices that help a lot with carpal tunnel and similar issues that some major league computer touchers can get

SolidSnakesBandana
Jul 1, 2007

Infinite ammo

Ciaphas posted:

por que no los dos

i should hate this. why don't i hate this.

Considering you hold that thing like a normal controller, I don't understand what the strap is for. Also, my personal favorite controller to play first person games with is the Steam Controller, because it has gyro aiming for fine tuned movements. Something about the trackpad makes first person games feel better imo

Mega Comrade
Apr 22, 2004

Listen buddy, we all got problems!

Impermanent posted:

there are some specialty keyboards and input devices that help a lot with carpal tunnel and similar issues that some major league computer touchers can get

The evidence for them is pretty light. It's also not helped that anyone can design a keyboard, slap 'ergonomic' on it and sell it. It's not a protected label.

Exercise however had a boatload of evidence behind it, even just basic stretching. I'm not saying you shouldn't get one, maybe it will help you but it should be on conjunction with regular stretching, not instead of it.

Ghostlight
Sep 25, 2009

maybe for one second you can pause; try to step into another person's perspective, and understand that a watermelon is cursing me

SolidSnakesBandana posted:

Considering you hold that thing like a normal controller, I don't understand what the strap is for.
Probably for stability since you don't normally hold a controller with one hand.

Impermanent
Apr 1, 2010

Mega Comrade posted:

The evidence for them is pretty light. It's also not helped that anyone can design a keyboard, slap 'ergonomic' on it and sell it. It's not a protected label.

Exercise however had a boatload of evidence behind it, even just basic stretching. I'm not saying you shouldn't get one, maybe it will help you but it should be on conjunction with regular stretching, not instead of it.

oh i don't have any of those issues, and I look like some sort of pretzel person when i'm on the computer. I just know a guy who got one of those trackball mice it pretty much fixed an issue he was having with his wrist. he also bikes, but that didn't have a any sort of timeline relationship with the carpal tunnel thing.

Palpek
Dec 27, 2008

Do you feel it, Zach?
My coffee warned me about it.

I have no idea about any research on this but a good vertical mouse cured my wrist and helped 3 different acquaintances that I recommended one to (one who already had a surgeon vist scheduled) so based on this personal anecdotal evidence I recommend getting one if you experience pain caused by torturing your hand with a mouse every day.

deep dish peat moss
Jul 27, 2006

Ghostlight posted:

Overall, Ragnorium is A-tier sci-fi, banger aesthetic, and clearly a work of vision. The vision includes putting googly-eyes on your shits.

It's been an experience that no other game has given me. I've really enjoyed playing it but also I don't know if I want to again.

This sums up my feelings on it pretty well too. It was a bizarre wild ride that was unlike other games even though it was within the familiar trappings of a colony sim, and I really loved it, but I do not want to play it again right now after nearly 20 hours. I'm sure I'll check it out again in 2030 or whenever it leaves EA though :v:

It's a hard game to recommend because you need to be a specific type of gamer to enjoy it but if reading posts like this about it intrigues you, you'll probably love it. This is what I want to see out of game development, not a million clones but fresh unique takes that have a trademark style and ignore genre conventions

edit: There's an NPC on each map that will trade soap for some random items, which is how you clean your poo poo-caked colonists.

deep dish peat moss fucked around with this message at 10:09 on Aug 30, 2021

victrix
Oct 30, 2007

how you clean your poo poo-caked colonists.

topic

MarcusSA
Sep 23, 2007

Boba Pearl posted:

For the record, that's literally what the above one is, and outside of very few games, it tends to work right out of the box on everything, the joystick is analog, and works with both direct input and xinput, there are a ton of steam configs that will make it work with your system as well.

I wouldn't recommend getting the Azeron as your first one though, because they're each custom made and cost 200$ with like every piece being color customizable and an engraved name plate, but there are similar controllers that achieve the same effect for really cheap. (Well $130 Idk what is cheap anymore when it comes to tech peripherals.)

https://www.amazon.com/Razer-Orbweaver-Chroma-Progammable-Adjustable/dp/B013P0HW7K/
https://www.amazon.com/Razer-Tartarus-Progammable-Detachable-Mecha-Membrane/dp/B07754PYFK/

If you're willing to go used / 3rd market, the best of this kind of weird device is the Logitech G13, but it's not in production so you have to buy it from Ebay or somewhere similar. The good news is that people find this tech very weird and almost no-one likes to use them, so you can find one for 60$

https://www.ebay.com/b/Logitech-G13/117042/bn_7023349688

Man why did I have to learn about this?? I have a G13 that I love but this looks like a nice step up.

Also the G13 goes for significantly more than $60. Those are the starting bids and they will definitely be well over $100.

pentyne
Nov 7, 2012

Palpek posted:

I have no idea about any research on this but a good vertical mouse cured my wrist and helped 3 different acquaintances that I recommended one to (one who already had a surgeon vist scheduled) so based on this personal anecdotal evidence I recommend getting one if you experience pain caused by torturing your hand with a mouse every day.

What's a good vertical mouse?

Tamba
Apr 5, 2010

Octodad

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

KoldPT
Oct 9, 2012

pentyne posted:

What's a good vertical mouse?

logitech mx vertical is really cool. using that + the microsoft ergonomic keyboard helped me after path of exile destroyed my hands