Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

EL BROMANCE
Jun 10, 2006

COWABUNGA DUDES!
🥷🐢😬

Yeah, from memory the tv spots were just absolutely horrid and didn’t sell the quality of the animation at all. I remember the UHD for Venom had a 5 minute sequence as a bonus, and that’s what completely sold me.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

CelticPredator
Oct 11, 2013
🍀👽🆚🪖🏋

I was sold day one with that first trailer that came out for TLJ I think. It looked unreal

Boywhiz88
Sep 11, 2005

floating 26" off da ground. BURR!
New Firmware for UBP-X700 users. I applied it last night, it was kind of a pain in the rear end, but I'm not sure what benefits there will be. The Sony website just cites improved UHD playback performance.

tonedef131
Sep 3, 2003

Boywhiz88 posted:

New Firmware for UBP-X700 users. I applied it last night, it was kind of a pain in the rear end, but I'm not sure what benefits there will be. The Sony website just cites improved UHD playback performance.
Automatic Dolby Vision toggling?

david_a
Apr 24, 2010

Megamarm
Hopefully less locking up!

Boywhiz88
Sep 11, 2005

tonedef131 posted:

Automatic Dolby Vision toggling?

lmao i wish. i didn't check, but considering it wasn't called out, i don't have much hope

Basebf555
Feb 29, 2008

The greatest sensual pleasure there is is to know the desires of another!

Fun Shoe
With my UBP 700, it'll be pretty easy to do a test to see if any of the playback issues have been fixed. It plays almost everything without issue, BUT there are two exceptions. John Wick 2 and Man of Steel both have issues where they almost always freeze at exactly the same moment every time. In the case of Man of Steel I suppose it could be a scratched disc, but with John Wick 2 I know it's not that because I actually own two copes of the movie(don't ask), and they both freeze at that exact same moment.

So if the player can get through John Wick 2 that probably means they actually did something to fix whatever that issue was.

david_a
Apr 24, 2010

Megamarm

Basebf555 posted:

With my UBP 700, it'll be pretty easy to do a test to see if any of the playback issues have been fixed. It plays almost everything without issue, BUT there are two exceptions. John Wick 2 and Man of Steel both have issues where they almost always freeze at exactly the same moment every time. In the case of Man of Steel I suppose it could be a scratched disc, but with John Wick 2 I know it's not that because I actually own two copes of the movie(don't ask), and they both freeze at that exact same moment.

So if the player can get through John Wick 2 that probably means they actually did something to fix whatever that issue was.

Keep us posted, for science
I had two lockups watching the Back to the Future trilogy. Concerning since I’ve heard the problem tends to get worse over time

Basebf555
Feb 29, 2008

Fun Shoe

david_a posted:

I had two lockups watching the Back to the Future trilogy. Concerning since I’ve heard the problem tends to get worse over time

Interesting, I've watched all three Back to the Future UHDs twice each and haven't had a single issue.

david_a
Apr 24, 2010

Megamarm
The update process seems pretty weird. It downloaded like 30MB, restarted, and is now downloading another 130MB

EL BROMANCE
Jun 10, 2006

COWABUNGA DUDES!
🥷🐢😬

CelticPredator posted:

I was sold day one with that first trailer that came out for TLJ I think. It looked unreal

Yeah I bet it looked great in the cinema. My vague memory is the TV spots didn't do a great job on the framerate conversion and it looked really juddery, and I had to check with someone who'd seen it in the cinema that it actually looked awesome.

Lumbermouth
Mar 6, 2008

GREG IS BIG NOW

EL BROMANCE posted:

Yeah I bet it looked great in the cinema. My vague memory is the TV spots didn't do a great job on the framerate conversion and it looked really juddery, and I had to check with someone who'd seen it in the cinema that it actually looked awesome.

Okay this is good to hear because the TV and YouTube spots definitely hosed with my sense of perception and I haven’t seen the movie as a result of it.

FancyMike
May 7, 2007

https://twitter.com/ArrowFilmsVideo/status/1431257770595131397

Casimir Radon
Aug 2, 2008

Made me think I should see if there were any updates on my LG player. They must be afraid of updates bricking the thing because it made me take the disc I had in there out before it would try the update.

EL BROMANCE
Jun 10, 2006

COWABUNGA DUDES!
🥷🐢😬

Lumbermouth posted:

Okay this is good to hear because the TV and YouTube spots definitely hosed with my sense of perception and I haven’t seen the movie as a result of it.

It might coincide with a time period I moved my sofa super close to my TV for the fun of it, but if you have the ability to watch in 4K HDR it's just a stunning film. I'm not really a big comic book movie person (I enjoy them enough but struggle to get excited), but I thought it was just great and eagerly wanted a sequel from the moment it ended.

Good job on marketing for putting people off it!

Gripweed
Nov 8, 2018

ASK ME ABOUT MY
UNITED STATES MARINES
FUNKO POPS COLLECTION

Hell yeah SRS shipped my copy of Day of Destruction.
It was listed in their Kaiju section despite there being no sign of a kaiju in the trailer. So either that was a spoiler, or SRS didn't want to add a third category and Day of Destruction is closer to a low budget Japanese kaiju movie than it is to a nanobudget unwatchable American horror movie.

Tim Whatley
Mar 28, 2010

Diabolik has up that Battle Royale UK normie edition for US shipping. Thinkin bout it

gey muckle mowser
Aug 5, 2003

Do you know anything about...
witches?

Buglord

Gripweed posted:

a nanobudget unwatchable American horror movie.

that’s the most positive review of “Terror at Blood Fart Lake” I’ve seen yet

Sirotan
Oct 17, 2006

Sirotan is a seal.

I've been watching the Highlander series on Peacock the last month or two and the video quality is absolutely terrible. 4:3 aspect ratio which has been cropped and zoomed to 16:9, VHS quality visuals that also sometimes have the wrong video for the audio (like 10 seconds of footage from a previous episode inserted into the wrong spot). They didn't even crop things competently so sometimes text on screen is cut off or not visible at all. It's just embarrassingly bad.

No release date yet but gently caress yeah

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=L2d-ieb62sI

Basebf555
Feb 29, 2008

Fun Shoe

david_a posted:

Encouraging news, John Wick 2 played perfectly, which has never happened before with this player. So I doubt that's a coincidence.

dorium
Nov 5, 2009

If it gets in your eyes
Just look into mine
Just look into dreams
and you'll be alright
I'll be alright

Has the DV switch issue been adjusted?

worms butthole guy
Jan 29, 2021

by Fluffdaddy
I bought major Dundee (and vengeance trails) from a local store. I've never seen any of.them but specifically major Dundee I was wondering if I should watch the theatrical or the extend we d one first?

caligulamprey
Jan 23, 2007

It never stops.

Fixins posted:

I bought major Dundee (and vengeance trails) from a local store. I've never seen any of.them but specifically major Dundee I was wondering if I should watch the theatrical or the extend we d one first?
Put on Massacre Time first, 'cause that movie's buck wild.

feedmyleg
Dec 25, 2004

Sirotan posted:

I've been watching the Highlander series on Peacock the last month or two and the video quality is absolutely terrible. 4:3 aspect ratio which has been cropped and zoomed to 16:9, VHS quality visuals that also sometimes have the wrong video for the audio (like 10 seconds of footage from a previous episode inserted into the wrong spot). They didn't even crop things competently so sometimes text on screen is cut off or not visible at all. It's just embarrassingly bad.

No release date yet but gently caress yeah

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=L2d-ieb62sI

poo poo. I might have to do this. I've always wondered if that's a series that would have a huge quality upgrade with higher fidelity.

Sirotan
Oct 17, 2006

Sirotan is a seal.

feedmyleg posted:

poo poo. I might have to do this. I've always wondered if that's a series that would have a huge quality upgrade with higher fidelity.

Just being able to see it uncropped would be a big improvement, I don't think there's anywhere to go but up.

worms butthole guy
Jan 29, 2021

by Fluffdaddy

caligulamprey posted:

Put on Massacre Time first, 'cause that movie's buck wild.

Will do. After I bought Requiescent and it became top five movies ever for me Ive been buying up every Arrow Western

Basebf555
Feb 29, 2008

Fun Shoe

dorium posted:

Has the DV switch issue been adjusted?

Sadly no

caligulamprey
Jan 23, 2007

It never stops.

Boywhiz88 posted:

New Firmware for UBP-X700 users.
I still get weird, random grey pixelation on some Dolby Vision discs, I think it's when discs are both DV and HDR10(+) compatible where it goes haywire, but it doesn't seem to have fixed jack, really.

Fixins posted:

Ive been buying up every Arrow Western
I grabbed the Django 4K and got the Spaghetti Western bug, the Vengeance Trails box was a blind buy and it's a real gem. And God Said to Cain is incredibly cool viewed as a proto-slasher, like Halloween with Klaus Kinski, but he has a gun instead of a knife.

Cemetry Gator
Apr 3, 2007

Do you find something comical about my appearance when I'm driving my automobile?

caligulamprey posted:

I still get weird, random grey pixelation on some Dolby Vision discs, I think it's when discs are both DV and HDR10(+) compatible where it goes haywire, but it doesn't seem to have fixed jack, really.

I grabbed the Django 4K and got the Spaghetti Western bug, the Vengeance Trails box was a blind buy and it's a real gem. And God Said to Cain is incredibly cool viewed as a proto-slasher, like Halloween with Klaus Kinski, but he has a gun instead of a knife.

Every disc that is DV is compatible with HDR10. Dv sits on top of HDR10, so I don't think it would be that.

Lumbermouth
Mar 6, 2008

GREG IS BIG NOW

The Arrow Sartana box set is a fantastic deal for a bunch of insane movies.

Sirotan
Oct 17, 2006

Sirotan is a seal.

GKids has announced two more versions of Evangelion on bluray and if you want the classic ADV dub you're gonna have to shell out $175. If you don't, $45. lol

https://store.gkids.com/pages/neon-genesis-evangelion#ultimate-edition

RichterIX
Apr 11, 2003

Sorrowful be the heart

Sirotan posted:

GKids has announced two more versions of Evangelion on bluray and if you want the classic ADV dub you're gonna have to shell out $175. If you don't, $45. lol

https://store.gkids.com/pages/neon-genesis-evangelion#ultimate-edition

That is a real bitch move on their part.

I know people will lap this up regardless but "make sure that piracy is always the best option" is sure one way to do things I guess.

Cemetry Gator
Apr 3, 2007

Do you find something comical about my appearance when I'm driving my automobile?
It might not be GKids. It might be the licensor s making that demand.

CPL593H
Oct 28, 2009

I know what you did last summer, and frankly I am displeased.
Shout has their own set coming out so maybe that one will have the thing people are mad about.

Boywhiz88
Sep 11, 2005

The NGE issue is that Netflix made a new dub+subs for their HD release, correct?

Sirotan
Oct 17, 2006

Sirotan is a seal.

CPL593H posted:

Shout has their own set coming out so maybe that one will have the thing people are mad about.

They are just selling the GKids version(s).

dorium
Nov 5, 2009

If it gets in your eyes
Just look into mine
Just look into dreams
and you'll be alright
I'll be alright

Scream Factory released the special features listing for all the Halloween UHD releases for October:

quote:

BONUS FEATURES
Here are the bonus features revealed by film and by disc:

HALLOWEEN (1978) DISC ONE (4K UHD):

NEW 2021 4K Scan From The Original Camera Negative, Approved By Cinematographer Dean Cundey
NEW Dolby Atmos Track
Audio Commentary With Co-Writer/Director John Carpenter And Actress Jamie Lee Curtis
Audio Commentary With Director Of Photography Dean Cundey, Editor Tommy Lee Wallace, And Actor Nick Castle

HALLOWEEN (1978) DISC TWO (BLU-RAY):

NEW 2021 4K Scan From The Original Camera Negative, Approved By Cinematographer Dean Cundey
NEW Dolby Atmos Track
Audio Commentary With John Carpenter And Jamie Lee Curtis
Audio Commentary With Dean Cundey, Tommy Lee Wallace, And Nick Castle
“The Night She Came Home” Featurette
“Halloween Unmasked 2000” Featurette
TV Version Additional Scenes
Trailers From Hell – Adam Rifkin On Halloween
Theatrical Trailer
TV Spots
Radio Spots
NBC Broadcast TV Promo
NEW Newspaper Ad Still Gallery By Drive-In Asylum
Still Gallery

HALLOWEEN (1978) DISC THREE (BLU-RAY):

Original Blu-ray Color Timing Presentation
Vintage Interview With Producer Moustapha Akkad
“Halloween: A Cut Above The Rest” Featurette
Halloween – The Extended Cut In HD (TV Inserts Are In Standard Definition)
NEW The Broadcast Television Cut (In Standard Definition, 1.33:1)

Horror’s Hallowed Grounds – A Look At The Original Filming Locations

Horror’s Hallowed Grounds Bus Tour From The Halloween Convention

HALLOWEEN II (1981) DISC ONE (4K UHD):

NEW 2021 4K Scan From The Original Negative Approved By Cinematographer Dean Cundey
NEW 2021 Dolby Atmos Track
Audio Commentary With Director Rick Rosenthal And Actor Leo Rossi
Audio Commentary With Stunt Coordinator Dick Warlock

HALLOWEEN II (1981) DISC TWO (BLU-RAY):

NEW 2021 4K Scan From The Original Camera Negative Approved By Cinematographer Dean Cundey
Audio Commentary With Rick Rosenthal And Leo Rossi
Audio Commentary With Dick Warlock
“The Nightmare Isn’t Over – The Making Of Halloween II” Featuring Rick Rosenthal, Dick Warlock, Composer Alan Howarth, Director Of Photography Dean Cundey, Actors Lance Guest And Leo Rossi, And More
Horror’s Hallowed Grounds Revisiting The Original Filming Locations
Deleted Scenes With Optional Audio Commentary With Rick Rosenthal
Alternate Ending With Optional Audio Commentary With Rick Rosenthal
Movie Stills Gallery
Posters And Lobby Cards Gallery
Theatrical Trailer
Teaser Trailer
TV Spots
TV Promo
Radio Spots

HALLOWEEN II (1981) DISC THREE (DVD):

Television Cut (In Standard Definition, 1:33:1)
Film Script (DVD-ROM)

HALLOWEEN III: SEASON OF THE WITCH (1982) DISC ONE (4K UHD):

NEW 2021 4K Scan Of The Original Camera Negative Approved By Cinematographer Dean Cundey
Audio Commentary With Writer/Director Tommy Lee Wallace
Audio Commentary With Actor Tom Atkins

HALLOWEEN III: SEASON OF THE WITCH (1982) DISC TWO (BLU-RAY):

NEW 2021 4K Scan Of The Original Camera Negative Approved By Cinematographer Dean Cundey
Audio Commentary With Tommy Lee Wallace
Audio Commentary With Tom Atkins
NEW “Tricks, Treats And Terror: The Masks Of Halloween III”– An Interview With Justin Mabry Of Trick Or Treat Studios
“Stand Alone: The Making Of Halloween III: Season Of The Witch” Featuring Tommy Lee Wallace, Actors Tom Atkins And Stacey Nelkin, Stunt Coordinator Dick Warlock, Director Of Photography Dean Cundey, And More
Horror’s Hallowed Grounds: Revisiting The Original Filming Locations With Host Sean Clark And Tommy Lee Wallace
“Make-up From Scratch” – An Interview With Make-Up Effects Artist Tom Burman
Teaser Trailer
Theatrical Trailer
TV Spots
TV Promo
Radio Spots
Movie Stills Gallery
Posters and Lobby Cards Gallery

HALLOWEEN 4: THE RETURN OF MICHAEL MYERS (1988) DISC ONE (4K UHD):

NEW 2021 4K Scan Of The Original Camera Negative
Audio Commentary With Actors Ellie Cornell And Danielle Harris
Audio Commentary With Director Dwight H. Little And Author Justin Beahm

HALLOWEEN 4: THE RETURN OF MICHAEL MYERS (1988) DISC TWO (BLU-RAY):

Audio Commentary With Ellie Cornell And Danielle Harris
Audio Commentary With Dwight H. Little And Justin Beahm
“The Making Of Halloween 4: The Final Cut”
“Back To Basics: The Making Of Halloween 4” – A Two-part Featurette
Theatrical Trailer
TV Spots
Still Gallery

HALLOWEEN 5: THE REVENGE OF MICHAEL MYERS (1989) DISC ONE (4K UHD):

Audio Commentary With Actor Don Shanks And Author Justin Beahm
Audio Commentary With Director Dominique Othenin-Girard And Actors Danielle Harris And Jeffrey Landman

HALLOWEEN 5: THE REVENGE OF MICHAEL MYERS (1989) DISC TWO (BLU-RAY):

Audio Commentary With Don Shanks And Justin Beahm
Audio Commentary With Dominique Othenin-Girard, Danielle Harris, And Jeffrey Landman
NEW Long-Lost Alternate Opening Sequence Featuring The Appearance Of Dr. Death
NEW Extra Snippets Of Gore Cut To Obtain An R-Rating
NEW “Of Darkness And Shadows – The Cinematography of Halloween 5”– An Interview With Cinematographer Robert Draper
“Inside Halloween 5”
“Dead Man’s Party – The Making Of Halloween 5” – A Two-part Featurette
“On The Set: Behind-The-Scenes Footage”
Halloween 5 Original Promo
Theatrical Trailer
TV Spots
Still Gallery

MacheteZombie
Feb 4, 2007
They don't have a 1-5 set without the vinyls do they?

caligulamprey
Jan 23, 2007

It never stops.

MacheteZombie posted:

They don't have a 1-5 set without the vinyls do they?
Buy the set and then send me all the vinyl. :wink:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

tonedef131
Sep 3, 2003

quote:

Michael Dougherty‘s Krampus returns to terrorize the holiday season this year, with Scream Factory announcing today that a 4K Ultra HD release is on the way on the road to Christmas.

Krampus: The Naughty Cut comes to 4K Ultra HD on November 16!

Yes, this is a brand new, never-before-seen version of the 2015 holiday horror film. Scream Factory explains, “For the first time ever Michael’s Dougherty’s previously unseen “Naughty Cut” of the film will be seeing the light of day! This alternate version restores key dialogue and scenes that had to be trimmed from the original theatrical release to appease the MPAA.”

This definitive version of the film was supervised by Dougherty himself. The release from Scream Factory will *not* include the theatrical version of the movie we know and love.

https://bloody-disgusting.com/home-video/3680624/scream-factory-bringing-michael-doughertys-krampus-4k-ultra-hd-never-seen-cut/