Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Gangringo
Jul 22, 2007

In the first age, in the first battle, when the shadows first lengthened, one sat.

He chose the path of perpetual contentment.

It has been a while since I've been in the market for a new car. And longer since I've been in the market for an in-demand new car.

How much, realistically, will I be looking at paying over MSRP for a Civic Type R once they release the new one?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Anne Whateley
Feb 11, 2007
:unsmith: i like nice words
My parents are planning to buy a preowned car from a dealer in the next week. Tbh they have no clue about cars (typically they buy a pre-2000 absolute beater and drive it into the ground), and I live in NYC so I've never owned a car and don't know poo poo either.

These are the models they're looking at:
- Hyundai Santa Fe (the current favorite)
- Buick Enclave 2015
- Chevy Traverse
- GMC Acadia

Except for the Enclave, they're looking at multiple cars of each model from 2018, 2019, or 2020 with various packages. Do any of those have particularly good or bad reputations?

Any other similar cars they should look for? This is in New England if it matters. They need AWD. My dad is 6'6", but it won't be his daily driver, but he does need to fit in the passenger seat sometimes. Needs to be able to have two adults (of more reasonable height) in the backseat too.

dreesemonkey
May 14, 2008
Pillbug
I'm not really in the market for an additional car right now (especially with the silly used car market), but I like to keep an eye open for what's available so I could make some plans.

I'm looking for a small, economical family car that is relatively fun to drive. I don't need a bunch of power, my wife and I had a 2001 civic 1.9l 5spd and we both miss it. It was not "fun" per-se, but it was more engaging to drive than our current CVT accord. I have a nice fullsize truck that I love and will keep, I'd just like to not drive it as much for errands.

My only real requirements are:
  • Reliable / low cost of ownership
  • 4 doors (a lot of the time shuttling kids around to sports, running errands)
  • Manual transmission (I miss having a manual vehicle)
  • 30+ mpg would be nice

I'm mostly looking for "what cars am I not considering but should be".

The best case scenario would probably be some form of Civic Si. But it's going to automatically be quite expensive, beat on, or both. Other cars I've considered:

• Civic Si
  • Civic (non si)
  • Fit
  • Acura TSX
  • Corolla
  • Mazda 3
  • Mazda 2?
  • Sentra?
  • Ford Fiesta?

I'm moderately biased against Kia/Hyundai as we had a new Sonota that ate its own engine at 30k and then caught on fire. I'm also moderately biased against domestic / german brands just purely for anecdotal reasons.

I don't have a particular budget in mind, but sub $10k would be great.

If I were buying new I'd look at a new Civic Si or Corolla Hatch XSE, but that would be silly to buy a new car (though gently-used prices are absolutely insane these days).

My wife wants a minivan at some point and her Accord would be almost perfect, it's just incredibly boring to drive. I don't have any desire to attempt a transmission swap.

I've been looking on marketplace and craigslist and there just isn't much of anything around that doesn't have a bazillion miles on it, is manual, and isn't >50% the cost of a brand new model.

KYOON GRIFFEY JR
Apr 12, 2010

Runner-up, TRP Sack Race 2021/22
now is the worst time in human history to buy a used car so since you don't NEED a car I say just fire her back up in uh maybe 12 months

but the Mazda2 is rare and small so kid shuttling will be hard, the Fiesta is rare, the Sentra is dogshit so cross those three off your list. you could add the Focus/Focus ST, they're quite decent to drive and the stick requirement solves the main DSG transmission problem. you are biased against Ze Germans but the GTI is quite good and overall not horribly unreliable provided you care for it correctly.

but anyway, you don't need the car so check back in a year.

IOwnCalculus
Apr 2, 2003

Fiesta and Mazda2 aren't super-rare, but they're not nearly as common as they should have been. It's good that you're only looking at manuals because both of those have terrible automatics (Mazda2 is an ancient four speed that just sucks, the Fiesta's is completely defective).

For a Mazda3 if you care about fuel mileage, you'll want to go no older than 2013 - that's when they got the updated Skyactiv direct injection engine and made a pretty big jump in fuel economy.

Comedy option Corolla / Matrix XRS if you get lucky enough to find one in the narrow year band where these cars got the same 2ZZ-GE screamer found in the Celica GTS / Lotus Elise. But I'm mostly salty that I was a bit too slow to snag a Matrix XRS the other day that actually popped up for under $4k.

KYOON GRIFFEY JR
Apr 12, 2010

Just under 60k Mazda2s were sold in the US from 2011-2016. There are presently 12 manual transmission Mazda2s for sale across the entire United States on Cars.com, and that probably means there are fewer than that actually available. There are four (total) listed on ebay motors across the whole united states. They are not common.

IOwnCalculus
Apr 2, 2003

I mean if you can find one, get one, but fair. That's pretty small.

There's also the Mazda2-turned-into-a-Toyota that we have now but it's a pain in the rear end to search for because depending on year, it's either a Scion iA, a Toyota Yaris iA, or just a Toyota Yaris. But these all still seem to be hovering considerably above $10k still. I haven't driven one either so I don't know if Toyota's managed to numb the car down.

KYOON GRIFFEY JR
Apr 12, 2010

Don't really see the point to buying one on the used market instead of a Mazda3 which will be bigger and better for basically zero incremental cost.

edit: plus one of the requirements is "cart kids around" so i'd definitely NOT want to do that in a Mazda2

ethanol
Jul 13, 2007

My rental car is a 2021 Ram 2500 and it's a beast. Kind of makes me want to consider a domestic full size over a tacoma. But they're all about 51 k with the options I want. Disgusting.

One thing that keeps bothering me is how LED headlights are basically standard on lower priced cars but on pickups they're only in the top trims.

I've called every dealer in 250 miles looking for a tacoma (edit: explicitly the TRD Offroad) and they're virtually unobtainable with no end in sight. As somebody who already bought a tacoma during the chip shortage this is several times worse than 3 months ago.

Anyways, just ranting.

ethanol fucked around with this message at 20:15 on Aug 30, 2021

dreesemonkey
May 14, 2008
Pillbug

KYOON GRIFFEY JR posted:

Don't really see the point to buying one on the used market instead of a Mazda3 which will be bigger and better for basically zero incremental cost.

edit: plus one of the requirements is "cart kids around" so i'd definitely NOT want to do that in a Mazda2

To be fair, my kids are about the age that they take up the minimum amount of space (almost 10, almost 7) so we pretty much don't need to think about car seats anymore, just boosters or nothing. Is the Mazda 2 much smaller than a Fit?

But you are right in that it's almost stupid to look now, I mostly wanted to know what cars I may not have been thinking about. GTI isn't completely out of the question, though I'm sure I could find a decent Civic Si in the same price range.

got off on a technicality
Feb 7, 2007

oh dear

dreesemonkey posted:

To be fair, my kids are about the age that they take up the minimum amount of space (almost 10, almost 7) so we pretty much don't need to think about car seats anymore, just boosters or nothing. Is the Mazda 2 much smaller than a Fit?
The Fit is packaged tremendously well so it might feel like it

wesleywillis
Dec 30, 2016

SUCK A MALE CAMEL'S DICK WITH MIRACLE WHIP!!

ethanol posted:

My rental car is a 2021 Ram 2500 and it's a beast. Kind of makes me want to consider a domestic full size over a tacoma. But they're all about 51 k with the options I want. Disgusting.

One thing that keeps bothering me is how LED headlights are basically standard on lower priced cars but on pickups they're only in the top trims.

I've called every dealer in 250 miles looking for a tacoma (edit: explicitly the TRD Offroad) and they're virtually unobtainable with no end in sight. As somebody who already bought a tacoma during the chip shortage this is several times worse than 3 months ago.

Anyways, just ranting.

Just curious, do you want the TRD Offroad because its got a locker? Or are there other reasons?

KYOON GRIFFEY JR
Apr 12, 2010

dreesemonkey posted:

But you are right in that it's almost stupid to look now, I mostly wanted to know what cars I may not have been thinking about. GTI isn't completely out of the question, though I'm sure I could find a decent Civic Si in the same price range.

you know they get bigger, right? how long are you planning to keep the car for? the Fit is a packaging miracle so the Mazda 2 is functionally a lot smaller inside. I'd never describe the Fit as actually fun to drive (it's clever, and more fun than it should be) but since you're comparing to an early 2000s Civic as the fun-to-drive benchmark perhaps it is.

The GTI is a very different drive from the Civic Si. The Civic Si is a much better handling car, easier to push, definitely faster around a track, etc. It's also got a shittier interior, harsher suspension, and worse packaging. If you plan to drive it every day, the GTI is a better choice (mostly), if you are interested in actual track performance the Civic Si is much better. But most people [think they care about performance when they really only care about some performance.

dpkg chopra
Jun 9, 2007

Fast Food Fight

Grimey Drawer
I found a car I'm interested in and was hoping to get the thread's opinion.

My wife and I need a daily driver to drop her off at school (about 10 miles away) every day and then just groceries and the ocasional road trip.

I've found a 2015 Ford Focus, 56k miles, 2 owners. Carfax shows up OK except for a minor fender bender in 2016 (no airbag deployment). It's an SE trim with manual transmission (which is ok with both of us), and it has backup cameras which is a big deal for both us.

Price is 12k, but I was hoping to go into the dealership, do a test drive and PPI, and offer 10k cash and see what happens.

I know the market is insane but do you think it's a reasonable deal at 10-12k? And no, we can't wait till prices go down, unfortunately, we need a car ASAP.

ethanol
Jul 13, 2007

AmbassadorofSodomy posted:

Just curious, do you want the TRD Offroad because its got a locker? Or are there other reasons?

it's got the locker yeah, better stock tires and suspension, I do prefer to have that for certain parts of my job. also slightly better base options, like better upholstery, better wheels, blind spot monitoring, etc.

Motronic
Nov 6, 2009

Ur Getting Fatter posted:

Price is 12k, but I was hoping to go into the dealership, do a test drive and PPI, and offer 10k cash and see what happens.

In this market you will hear laughing.

dpkg chopra
Jun 9, 2007

Fast Food Fight

Grimey Drawer

Motronic posted:

In this market you will hear laughing.

Lol, yeah, most likely but it can't hurt to try.

Motronic
Nov 6, 2009

Lol, yeah, most likely but it can't hurt to try.

You say "$10k cash" like it's a good thing. Do you understand you'd be better off with $10k financed? Most of these places make their money off of dealership financing. Which you can bail out of with your cash later and screw them on their residual if you really goddamn make sure on the terms of the lovely financing agreement they write you on.

dpkg chopra
Jun 9, 2007

Fast Food Fight

Grimey Drawer

Motronic posted:

You say "$10k cash" like it's a good thing. Do you understand you'd be better off with $10k financed? Most of these places make their money off of dealership financing. Which you can bail out of with your cash later and screw them on their residual if you really goddamn make sure on the terms of the lovely financing agreement they write you on.

So lure them in with a bad financing agreement (72 months, high APR) but make sure I can pre pay it whenever?

KillHour
Oct 28, 2007

So lure them in with a bad financing agreement (72 months, high APR) but make sure I can pre pay it whenever?

Negotiate the price without bringing up how to pay for it at all. Make them assume they can finance you. Once you've agreed to a price say "Great - I have financing already so I'll bring a cashier's check. Here's a credit card for the $500 deposit." You can just get the cashier's check drawn out of your bank account if you want.

Agreeing to their lovely finance terms is backup.

ThirstyBuck
Nov 6, 2010

ethanol posted:

Anyways, just ranting.

Not sure if you need new but my brother in law has a 2018 TRD Off road taco w/45k miles on it coming off lease. I’m surprised that carvana/carmax weren’t able to beat his buyback price. He lives in Pittsburgh and I think you’re in CA?

ethanol
Jul 13, 2007

not interested in used for various reasons mostly including how you barely save any money on used tacomas compared to new but thanks. strange that carmax didn't beat his buyout.. I imagine that truck is worth 33-37k and if it's a 2018 the residual should have been pretty low compared to the cost of a a 2018 now. But I don't know a whole lot about leasing, maybe they are accounting for that and his buyout went up

KillHour
Oct 28, 2007

ethanol posted:

not interested in used for various reasons mostly including how you barely save any money on used tacomas compared to new but thanks. strange that carmax didn't beat his buyout.. I imagine that truck is worth 33-37k and if it's a 2018 the residual should have been pretty low compared to the cost of a a 2018 now. But I don't know a whole lot about leasing, maybe they are accounting for that and his buyout went up

They're not allowed to increase the buyout - it's specified in the contract.

It's also the difference between the new price of the car and what was paid in lease costs (minus interest and fees) so it would be like a bank increasing the amount you owe on a loan after you've paid it down.

KillHour fucked around with this message at 18:33 on Sep 1, 2021

ethanol
Jul 13, 2007

so maybe his lease payments were set too low or something?

skipdogg
Nov 29, 2004
Resident SRT-4 Expert

The residual values on Tacoma's are some of the highest, if not THE highest in the entire auto industry. I'm 99% sure their residuals are the highest for all vehicles.

Looking at the edmunds forum quotes, you're talking 77% residual on a 3 year 36K lease on a TRD 4x4 Double Cab offroad.

They make very attractive leases since the residual is so high. I've seen base SR model Tacoma's advertised for lease at 199 a month with 999 down.

Here's another one:

SR V6 Double Cab 4X4

.00235 MF (5.64% APR, not great)
87% residual on 2 year 24k miles
81% residual on 3 year 36K miles.

No incentives or subsidies as Toyota doesn't need to offer them to sell the truck. You could pretty much drive the SR V6 double cab 4x4 for 3 years and pay probably in the 8K range in total payments. That's like less than 250 a month. Full warranty the entire time, and maybe 2 oil changes out of pocket the entire time. Repeat again in 3 years.

ThirstyBuck
Nov 6, 2010

I don’t have much financial info about it but I know his buyout is $29k. I didn’t believe him when he told me but I got the same quote from carvana when I ran it myself.

ethanol
Jul 13, 2007

Sounds like carmax is lowballing for some reason then. Even trade in value should be at least higher than 29k imo. 31-33 k according to kbb with standard options

DildenAnders
Mar 16, 2016

"I recommend Batman especially, for he tends to transcend the abysmal society in which he's found himself. His morality is rather rigid, also. I rather respect Batman.”
Is Carvana another one of those bullshit "tech" associated companies that's burning investor money to price out their competitors?

Keyser_Soze
May 5, 2009

Pillbug
As are Shift/Vroom. Basically just hitting "numbers" targets to keep getting VC funding or something and worrying about "profitability" later.

dpkg chopra
Jun 9, 2007

Fast Food Fight

Grimey Drawer

I found a car I'm interested in and was hoping to get the thread's opinion.

My wife and I need a daily driver to drop her off at school (about 10 miles away) every day and then just groceries and the ocasional road trip.

I've found a 2015 Ford Focus, 56k miles, 2 owners. Carfax shows up OK except for a minor fender bender in 2016 (no airbag deployment). It's an SE trim with manual transmission (which is ok with both of us), and it has backup cameras which is a big deal for both us.

I know the market is insane but do you think it's a reasonable deal at 10-12k? And no, we can't wait till prices go down, unfortunately, we need a car ASAP.

Went in today to the dealership to test drive this car, ended up walking away for various reasons but I'm curious about some of the pricing details.

The internet price for the car is 12k. The final price breakdown was as follows:

Market Value Selling Price: $11,999
"Discount": $799
Adjusted Price: $11,200
"Kahu" (some sort of LoJack device): $400
Total Purchase: $11,600
Admin. Service: $799
Elec. Titling Fee: $80
State Tax: $783.64 (ish, can't remember the exact number).
License Plate Fee: $25
Title Fee: $18
Balance: $13,305

I'm mostly curious about this "Kahu" bullshit and the "Admin Service". I pointed out to them that I was under the impression that the Internet Price included all fees except titling, license, etc. and that in the end the "discount" wasn't really a discount if it got added back in the fee.

Regarding "Kahu" they told me they added that to all cars and and that while I didn't have to activate the service, they couldn't remove it or discount it.

After some back and forth I got them to knock down the price by around $500 bucks but the car was just not in enough of a good condition and I walked away. Honestly, they hadn't even bothered to wash it before I got there and the inside even had the last owner's trash in it, the jack was missing, wiper fluid cap was broken and engine was missing a cover that they promised would be replaced before they gave it to me. Car drove well, though.

bird with big dick
Oct 21, 2015

Kahu sounds like the typical BS dealers “add” to all cars to jack up the price (see also: window VIN etching and nitrogen in the tires). The reality is that this poo poo is always negotiable but functionally may not be in this price climate.

Admin fee just sounds like a doc fee which is also negotiable and theirs at $799 is double+ what I’d consider standard or reasonable.

Deteriorata
Feb 6, 2005

Kahu is a device to locate and disable the car if you don't keep up with the payments. It's strictly for repo purposes.

wesleywillis
Dec 30, 2016

SUCK A MALE CAMEL'S DICK WITH MIRACLE WHIP!!
Thats fuckin awesome.

"We're going to charge you 400 bucks to install a device so we can repo your car if you can't pay us".

Inner Light
Jan 2, 2020

13.3k out the door for a 2015 Ford Focus does not sound like a good deal at all. I don't have to pull up the KBB to have a visceral reaction from that

This market is gonna take years to stop being dumb as hell though.

e: Actually I pulled up Focuses on Carvana and that price I guess is average these days. I think some of this shift is permanent because the mid 2010s saw big upward jumps in reliability, so used cars will inherently have more value left than earlier examples. Ford DCTs aside lol

Inner Light fucked around with this message at 03:52 on Sep 3, 2021

Space Gopher
Jul 31, 2006

BLITHERING IDIOT AND HARDCORE DURIAN APOLOGIST. LET ME TELL YOU WHY THIS SHIT DON'T STINK EVEN THOUGH WE ALL KNOW IT DOES BECAUSE I'M SUPER CULTURED.

bird with big dick posted:

Kahu sounds like the typical BS dealers “add” to all cars to jack up the price (see also: window VIN etching and nitrogen in the tires). The reality is that this poo poo is always negotiable but functionally may not be in this price climate.

VIN etching and nitrogen in the tires are pointless but harmless. Dealer installed accessories that are tied into the electrical system, on the other hand, can gently caress up your car.

For instance, here’s a real life Kahu install, from a dealership that had promised to remove the thing as a condition of sale:

For anyone who’s not familiar with automotive electrical work: that is really, really bad. Worse than “gave the sketchiest car audio shop in town $20 and some lovely weed” bad. It will always be a phantom drain, and if the completely bare wiring touches the nearby bare metal, the best case scenario is that a fuse pops and various nonessential electrical stuff stops working. If you’re not so lucky, it might be tapped off of more important power, or it could just start a fire.

dpkg chopra
Jun 9, 2007

Fast Food Fight

Grimey Drawer
Lol I figured either the car already had it or they’d installed for their own insurance purposes and we’re trying to pass the cost on to me, but the repo answer is :chefskiss: capitalism so is likely the 10000% the actual reason.

dpkg chopra
Jun 9, 2007

Fast Food Fight

Grimey Drawer

Inner Light posted:

13.3k out the door for a 2015 Ford Focus does not sound like a good deal at all. I don't have to pull up the KBB to have a visceral reaction from that

This market is gonna take years to stop being dumb as hell though.

e: Actually I pulled up Focuses on Carvana and that price I guess is average these days. I think some of this shift is permanent because the mid 2010s saw big upward jumps in reliability, so used cars will inherently have more value left than earlier examples. Ford DCTs aside lol

Carvana has them even higher, at least in my, area. 12.7k out the door, which is what they offered me after haggling, was honestly a “good” price for this market, but the car honestly just gave me a bad vibe.

Inner Light
Jan 2, 2020

Space Gopher posted:

VIN etching and nitrogen in the tires are pointless but harmless. Dealer installed accessories that are tied into the electrical system, on the other hand, can gently caress up your car.

For instance, here’s a real life Kahu install, from a dealership that had promised to remove the thing as a condition of sale:

For anyone who’s not familiar with automotive electrical work: that is really, really bad. Worse than “gave the sketchiest car audio shop in town $20 and some lovely weed” bad. It will always be a phantom drain, and if the completely bare wiring touches the nearby bare metal, the best case scenario is that a fuse pops and various nonessential electrical stuff stops working. If you’re not so lucky, it might be tapped off of more important power, or it could just start a fire.

God drat I have to believe this photo was taken after some electrical tape was removed, no? Why would you even bother skipping electrical tape there...

gwrtheyrn
Oct 21, 2010

AYYYE DEEEEE DUBBALYOO DA-NYAAAAAH!

Inner Light posted:

God drat I have to believe this photo was taken after some electrical tape was removed, no? Why would you even bother skipping electrical tape there...

Adding electrical tape doesn't make it any better.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Nitrox
Jul 5, 2002

Lol I figured either the car already had it or they’d installed for their own insurance purposes and we’re trying to pass the cost on to me, but the repo answer is :chefskiss: capitalism so is likely the 10000% the actual reason.
it's a tracker that will also disable your car if you don't make payments on time. The only purpose of that device is to make your car easier to repossess. Don't go shopping at "buy here pay here" car lots, you're getting fleeced in more ways than you will ever understand.

https://youtu.be/4U2eDJnwz_s

Nitrox fucked around with this message at 04:24 on Sep 3, 2021