Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Gyoru
Jul 13, 2004

GMG sent out their keys too :toot:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

CottonWolf
Jul 20, 2012

Good ideas generator

Hah. A level 20 trickster fighter can get 7x crits with a scythe, with a 25% crit probability on every attack. I may have to replan my build.

JamMasterJim
Mar 27, 2010

CottonWolf posted:

Hah. A level 20 trickster fighter can get 7x crits with a scythe, with a 25% crit probability on every attack. I may have to replan my build.

An 18-20 range weapon will have 55% chance of crit on every attack for 5x crits, if you want to really go ham.

CottonWolf
Jul 20, 2012

Good ideas generator

JamMasterJim posted:

An 18-20 range weapon will have 55% chance of crit on every attack for 5x crits, if you want to really go ham.

Oh, tempting. Back to the drawing board!

Dallan Invictus
Oct 11, 2007

The thing about words is that meanings can twist just like a snake, and if you want to find snakes, look for them behind words that have changed their meaning.
I can't imagine trying to complete that last dungeon without crafting permanent Freedom of Movement on everyone using the craft mod and paying the Blind Fight feat tax.

Shame Owlcat didn't give a bit more freedom to craft equipment (as opposed to consumables) this time around but I suppose the modders will handle that again and here I am, spending the first half of this week dusting off builds, picking fun-sounding companions and mythic paths, as if I hadn't bought Kingmaker at launch and didn't know how this is gonna go.

JamMasterJim
Mar 27, 2010

Dallan Invictus posted:

I can't imagine trying to complete that last dungeon without crafting permanent Freedom of Movement on everyone using the craft mod and paying the Blind Fight feat tax.

Shame Owlcat didn't give a bit more freedom to craft equipment (as opposed to consumables) this time around but I suppose the modders will handle that again and here I am, spending the first half of this week dusting off builds, picking fun-sounding companions and mythic paths, as if I hadn't bought Kingmaker at launch and didn't know how this is gonna go.

I know I will lose a playthrough (at least) cause poo poo will be hosed in the last stretch, but I cannot fight it.

cuntman.net
Mar 1, 2013

i make a manual save at level ups and milestones, hopefully i'll only lose a few dozen hours that way

Memnaelar
Feb 21, 2013

WHO is the goodest girl?
So, I heard some complaints about turn-based's implementation in Kingmaker and also some talk about it being improved in Wrath -- what's up with both? I'm thinking turn-based might be better for someone like me who kept messing up all the toggles on his magus and would likely do better with some prompting to make sure I take all my free/move/standard actions.

Avalerion
Oct 19, 2012

Memnaelar posted:

So, I heard some complaints about turn-based's implementation in Kingmaker and also some talk about it being improved in Wrath -- what's up with both? I'm thinking turn-based might be better for someone like me who kept messing up all the toggles on his magus and would likely do better with some prompting to make sure I take all my free/move/standard actions.

It's a toggle, you can say mop up trash fights in real time then switch to turn based for the boss.

Gharbad the Weak
Feb 23, 2008

This too good for you.
Is there a way to get the 1 round/level spells over 5 minutes without combining spellbooks?

JamMasterJim
Mar 27, 2010

Gharbad the Weak posted:

Is there a way to get the 1 round/level spells over 5 minutes without combining spellbooks?

There are abilities and equipment that raise your caster lever plus extend.
For enduring to turn them into 24 hour spells, I think you need to effectively cast them at 25 CL

Zurai
Feb 13, 2012

Wait -- I haven't even voted in this game yet!

Memnaelar posted:

I'd be very curious to see those complaints, because the turn-based mode implementation is the best I've seen in a western RPG. Being able to switch between turn-based and real time is brilliant, and the turn-based mechanics follow tabletop rules about as closely as possible.

TB mode doesn't end a character's turn automatically unless they're out of actions, and it shows visually which actions are still available. The movement indicator is relatively clear about switching between single and double moves. You can even delay your turn. The only major thing I don't think you can do is ready an action, which is understandable. That's both pretty niche and would be hard as hell to code.

Iymarra
Oct 4, 2010

Survived AGDQ 2018 Awful Games block!
Grimey Drawer
I've been sat mulling over a witch-aeon build (designed to strip away as many enemies' benefits as possible for companions to mop up) as well as a...something dex-two weapony with spellbuffs for azata, which I'm not sure about. Any suggestions?

DourCricket
Jan 15, 2021

Thanks Coupleofkooks

Iymarra posted:

I've been sat mulling over a witch-aeon build (designed to strip away as many enemies' benefits as possible for companions to mop up) as well as a...something dex-two weapony with spellbuffs for azata, which I'm not sure about. Any suggestions?

If you've looked over the party members list and you have a couple favorites that you think will stay in the party - do either of these not step on their toes? I plan a lot of my Baldur's Gate characters based mostly on which NPCs I'll bring along and then trying to fill the gaps.

DeathSandwich
Apr 24, 2008

I fucking hate puzzles.
Can someone who versed in pathfinder mythic synergies sell me on a choice between WotR going as a Thundercaller Bard as either an azata or a Trickster. Just looking at the WotR wiki it looks like azata is more of an offensive spellcaster and Trickster skews more party support and summoning focused. Not really sure which would jive better with Thundercaller running as an aggressive support.

FuzzySlippers
Feb 6, 2009

DourCricket posted:

If you've looked over the party members list and you have a couple favorites that you think will stay in the party - do either of these not step on their toes? I plan a lot of my Baldur's Gate characters based mostly on which NPCs I'll bring along and then trying to fill the gaps.

I found this helpful on reddit. It spoils just the name/class/alignment of NPCs so you can get an idea of what your party might look like. Looking at that it seems like a Good party might be light on front liners for example.

Torrannor
Apr 27, 2013

---FAGNER---
TEAM-MATE
Those who are preloading, how big is Wrath of the Righteous?

Zurai
Feb 13, 2012

Wait -- I haven't even voted in this game yet!

Torrannor posted:

14.5 GB or so, not counting the day 1 patch.

Iymarra
Oct 4, 2010

Survived AGDQ 2018 Awful Games block!
Grimey Drawer

DourCricket posted:

I should be fine with the party members I want to bring, it's just the builds themselves I'm not sure on. I don't know *how* to make a bard that isn't going to get their intestines ripped latergame, but they seem prime due to the synergy with azata.

DeathSandwich posted:

Can someone who versed in pathfinder mythic synergies sell me on a choice between WotR going as a Thundercaller Bard as either an azata or a Trickster. Just looking at the WotR wiki it looks like azata is more of an offensive spellcaster and Trickster skews more party support and summoning focused. Not really sure which would jive better with Thundercaller running as an aggressive support.

Considered Battle Scion (Skald subclass) - get a rage ability which you can turn into teamwork feats?

sassassin
Apr 3, 2010

by Azathoth

Torrannor posted:

frajaq
Jan 30, 2009

#acolyte GM of 2014

24gb for me in GOG, weird

DisgracelandUSA
Aug 11, 2011

Yeah, I gets down with the homies

Is there a tool or website you can use to look at the different classes/kits they are adding and start planning things out? I didn't realize release was 2 days a way and I'm pretty hype now, ngl.

Captain Oblivious
Oct 12, 2007

I'm not like other posters
12 Monk Scaled Fist/1 Oracle/1 Sorcerer/4 Dragon Disciple for me, two flex levels to do whatever with. Aiming for Gold Dragon for maximum punch good.

The real question now is whether to get to Gold Dragon via Angel or Azata. Sword of Heaven is really good and so is the Angel spell list but on the other hand Aivu and super powers.

Azata spell list is thoroughly whatever is the main downside.

Captain Oblivious fucked around with this message at 23:23 on Aug 30, 2021

Nissin Cup Nudist
Sep 3, 2011

Sleep with one eye open

We're off to Gritty Gritty land

What classes allow you to use a pet as a mount? Chevalier and ???

I need an Aivu mount

Zore
Sep 21, 2010
willfully illiterate, aggressively miserable sourpuss whose sole raison d’etre is to put other people down for liking the wrong things

Nissin Cup Nudist posted:

What classes allow you to use a pet as a mount? Chevalier and ???

I need an Aivu mount

You can also do it through feats but

1) The feats don't let you mount as well as a cavalier
2) Mounting kind of sucks. Made even worse by the fact lances aren't in the game for that sweet 4x damage on charge.

Right now its mechanically more optimal to use your Cavalier mount as a regular animal companion lol

WrightOfWay
Jul 24, 2010

Zore posted:

2) Mounting kind of sucks. Made even worse by the fact lances aren't in the game for that sweet 4x damage on charge.

Right now its mechanically more optimal to use your Cavalier mount as a regular animal companion lol

Wait, they made mounts a big feature and didn't put in lances? That seems like a gigantic oversight and probably isn't even that big of a deal to implement.

sebmojo
Oct 23, 2010

Legit Cyberpunk

Memnaelar posted:

turn based in kingmaker is brilliant, I haven't heard any complaints and don't have any - it's the best implementation of any games in the genre imo.

Prism
Dec 22, 2007

yospos

sebmojo posted:

turn based in kingmaker is brilliant, I haven't heard any complaints and don't have any - it's the best implementation of any games in the genre imo.

My only complaint was when it bugged out and I had to turn it off and on to get things to move again, but I understand that got fixed eventually for Wrath.

Terrible Opinions
Oct 18, 2013

Didn't they give spears all the lance bonus damage abilities while mounted?

Lord Koth
Jan 8, 2012

cuntman.net posted:

you can use legendary proportions with dragonkind in kingmaker. iirc you get both bonuses but your model doesnt get any bigger

The real question is, can you also double-stack Brown Fur Transmuter bonuses if you can still stack the spells. Or, for those not familiar with Brown Fur, even aside from the reason of being able to target personal-only Transmutation buffs on others, it also increases a stat boost the spell provides.

Given one of the characters I'm considering for a first run is an Azata Brown Fur Transmuter, guess we'll find out. +28 STR and dragon form for everyone, including the actual dragon, certainly sounds fun though. The power of friendship through supercharging everyone!

Other character consideration at the moment is an Angel Oradin, but need to check to see if something's in the game first.

Nissin Cup Nudist
Sep 3, 2011

Sleep with one eye open

We're off to Gritty Gritty land

Zore posted:

This might be true and all, but riding into battle on top of a dragon is insanely cool :colbert:

Buck Wildman
Mar 30, 2010

I am Metango, Galactic Governor

gonna be a druid aeon

CITIZEN. I KNOW YOU WERE THINKING IMPURE THOUGHTS OF THAT WOODPECKER *bear buddy opens its mouth and pulls you into the black hole inside

pentyne
Nov 7, 2012

WrightOfWay posted:

Wait, they made mounts a big feature and didn't put in lances? That seems like a gigantic oversight and probably isn't even that big of a deal to implement.

Outside of effortless mode or making a bunch of changes you have to basically take your entire build around both charging with your mount, improving your mount, taking teamwork feats with both you and your mount, and taking feats to help defend your mount in combat. There doesn't seem to be too much flexibility, and going without a shield is a bit hit to AC.

Most cavalier classes take the horse, which isn't a very good/cool mount compared to the others. Beast Master lets you get creative at least by picking any animal companion.

An example build is from the guy I posted earlier is as such

Beast Master
Animal Companion: Smilodon

Weapon focus Scimitar
Combat Reflexes
*Seize the Moment
*By My Honor: any saving throws really
Power Attack
Boon Companion
Mounted Combat
Spirited Charge
Indomitable mount
Improved Critical Scimitar
*Outflank
Critical Focus
Sickening Critical
Shield Focus
Mounted Shield
Cornugan Smash
*Precise Strike

Animal Companion
Aggressor
Take athletics, perception+++
Cleave
Cleaving Finish
Weapon Focus Claw
Weapon Focus Bite
Light Barding
Improved Crit Claw
Critical Focus
Sickening Crit
Medium Barding

Azata
Mythic Charge
Destructive Shockwave
Mythical Beast
Improved Crit Scimitar
Life Bonding Friendship: back to back, allied spellcaster
Ever Ready
Power Attack Mythic
Incredible Might

Goals are charge, charge, charge, crit as often as possible. Use your mobility to help deflect attacks against the mount while increasing the mount AC through teamwork feats as well as your own AC. The biggest problem with mounted combat seems to be enemies targeting the mount and quickly bring it down. As you can see, you're basically taking additional mount feats every other level so there's very little reason for a none-cavalier to try mounted combat because that's probably all your feats just to reach their basic level.

Perfect Potato
Mar 4, 2009
lol if you dip in another animal companion class first and then go into Arcane Rider you can bypass the horse restriction and have a loving dimensional skipping smilodon

Lord Koth
Jan 8, 2012

I mean, technically you could be a Fighter, who get plenty of feats, and then just ride Seelah's animal companion instead. Unless the game locks you to only riding your own, you don't actually have to be an animal companion class to effectively play a mounted character. Alternatively sacrifice some of your personal mounted combat prowess, and just use one of the various 3/4 BAB spellcasting classes that get mounts. This gets you Share Spells to toss whatever you feel like on your animal companion to help keep it alive.

As a side note, what is Boon Companion doing on that feat list? I don't see any multiclassing, and Cavaliers of any sort shouldn't be taking an innate penalty to animal companion level.

sebmojo
Oct 23, 2010

Legit Cyberpunk

oh - is someone gonna do a new op, or should i change the title of this one?

cuntman.net
Mar 1, 2013

Lord Koth posted:

I mean, technically you could be a Fighter, who get plenty of feats, and then just ride Seelah's animal companion instead.

lol

tithin
Nov 14, 2003

[Grandmaster Tactician]

New thread time? might be good for a fresh start, maybe with some builds for pathfinder newbies who look at that pile of stats and freeze up like deer in headlights.

Mad Wack
Mar 27, 2008

"The faster you use your cooldowns, the faster you can use them again"

FuzzySlippers posted:

I found this helpful on reddit. It spoils just the name/class/alignment of NPCs so you can get an idea of what your party might look like. Looking at that it seems like a Good party might be light on front liners for example.

while i didn't see it in the beta apparently some of the companions can change alignment based on your input

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

pentyne
Nov 7, 2012

Lord Koth posted:

I mean, technically you could be a Fighter, who get plenty of feats, and then just ride Seelah's animal companion instead. Unless the game locks you to only riding your own, you don't actually have to be an animal companion class to effectively play a mounted character. Alternatively sacrifice some of your personal mounted combat prowess, and just use one of the various 3/4 BAB spellcasting classes that get mounts. This gets you Share Spells to toss whatever you feel like on your animal companion to help keep it alive.

As a side note, what is Boon Companion doing on that feat list? I don't see any multiclassing, and Cavaliers of any sort shouldn't be taking an innate penalty to animal companion level.

Yeah the text says it's capped at equal to your character level so it's probably a wasted feat.