Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Endorph
Jul 22, 2009

Blaze Dragon posted:

I'd be very surprised if the original Getter isn't playable in 30 when it's entire angle is nostalgia, and we know we have the RX-78-2 of all things as a playable unit. Mazinger Z isn't the original from an out-of-universe perspective, but it is from an in-universe one, so it'd be very weird to not have Getter Robo to complete the trio.
And the original Getter is in Shin Getter for the first 3 eps. Heck, you had it for most of Z2.1.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Zore
Sep 21, 2010
willfully illiterate, aggressively miserable sourpuss whose sole raison d’etre is to put other people down for liking the wrong things
With 30's whole branching and open structure I wonder how they're going to handle stuff like the mid-season upgrades to new mechs or unlocking new attacks.

Endorph
Jul 22, 2009

Zore posted:

With 30's whole branching and open structure I wonder how they're going to handle stuff like the mid-season upgrades to new mechs or unlocking new attacks.
I assume there'll be various chokepoints in the structure. Most Super Robot Wars games are broadly divided into three acts, some explicitly. Act 1 introduces most of the series, act 2 plays out most of their plots, introduces complications caused by them all existing together, and Act 3 is everything's finales including the OG finale. You could easily bottleneck people using that.

Like you might be able to choose the order of series you get introduced to, but you won't be able to go through the entire game without ever meeting Ryoma, to unlock the Act 1 ending stuff and get into Act 2 you'll have to clear all the series intros. Same for Act 2, where most of the upgrades and new attacks will be.

Kchama
Jul 25, 2007

Zore posted:

From how it reads, it seems like you'll wander down a completely different path that doles out upgrades at its own time.

Also, GC translation guys, for some reason the GC translation in dolphin seems to have real issues for me. The very first dialogue in the game dies in a fire. It works AFTER the first scene, maybe. But unless I use the other CPU Emulation Engines, the uh... I think the thing that shadows out the portraits kills things. Since it works after this scene.

I have the latest translation patch and the unpatched ISO works fine.

This is the best I get it. No text, and the background doesn't work. But hey, the shadow works!

Kchama fucked around with this message at 15:30 on Aug 30, 2021

MonsieurChoc
Oct 12, 2013

Every species can smell its own extinction.

ImpAtom posted:

Like I said! More realistic by the day.

Touché!

MechaCrash
Jan 1, 2013

I suspect that the way the "mission select" and branching path stuff is going to work is "here's a small handful of missions, you can choose the order you do them in," but you have to do them all before you can continue. So you can choose which of the events happens first, but you can't proceed until you've done them all.

Zore
Sep 21, 2010
willfully illiterate, aggressively miserable sourpuss whose sole raison d’etre is to put other people down for liking the wrong things

MechaCrash posted:

I suspect that the way the "mission select" and branching path stuff is going to work is "here's a small handful of missions, you can choose the order you do them in," but you have to do them all before you can continue. So you can choose which of the events happens first, but you can't proceed until you've done them all.

That would be the smart way to do it. Basically have pockets of missions with storyline bottlenecks at certain points. Sort of like the old Bioware model of having 4 hubs and then a big story mission that triggers after 2 and one that triggers after 4 to start the end game.

JamMasterJim
Mar 27, 2010

Kchama posted:

From how it reads, it seems like you'll wander down a completely different path that doles out upgrades at its own time.

Also, GC translation guys, for some reason the GC translation in dolphin seems to have real issues for me. The very first dialogue in the game dies in a fire. It works AFTER the first scene, maybe. But unless I use the other CPU Emulation Engines, the uh... I think the thing that shadows out the portraits kills things. Since it works after this scene.

I have the latest translation patch and the unpatched ISO works fine.

This is the best I get it. No text, and the background doesn't work. But hey, the shadow works!

Try going into Dolphin's graphic settings, hacks tab, set "texture cache accuracy" all the way down to safe.

EthanSteele
Nov 18, 2007

I can hear you

MechaCrash posted:

I imagine that's how it'll work for the key scenarios, but the interview did mention completely optional ones that you don't have to play if you want to move on with the story.

BornAPoorBlkChild
Sep 24, 2012

General Revil posted:

How fitting that I'm shilling "pick which member of the Shrike team to kill" on my SRW streams. :killemall:

General Revil posted:

Seriously. Those girls deserved better, either surviving, or better deaths.

:smith:

General Revil
Sep 30, 2014

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
I've mentioned this on discord a few times, but what I'd love in 30 is an srw ux style secret system (keep your secrets into future runs), and over three runs, you can save all the shrike team.

But, since I'm playing 2G (and 2 and 2 Complete Box), you don't really have the freedom to bring along weak units, because these old games are rough.

Kchama
Jul 25, 2007

MechaCrash posted:

They said in the interview that you don't have to do them all, since there's optional repeatable grinding missions and also how much you do determines what you get or something like that.

JamMasterJim posted:

Try going into Dolphin's graphic settings, hacks tab, set "texture cache accuracy" all the way down to safe.

Way ahead of you. I did that before I even loaded up the patched version for the first time.

This is the error I get that I have to Ignore to even get to the picture I posted last time.

Lostconfused
Oct 1, 2008

SpaceDrake posted:

I mean, to the show's credit, it's very clear that the Dueling Rich Assholes Sending Other People To Die angle is very much intended as part of the show's politics; for all people complain about "nonsensical pacifism", the show has very strong opinions about the kinds of people who are willing to send others to die for their own gain and who are willing to even consider using weapons of mass destruction, and wants the heroes to stand in stark contrast to them. (And frankly, I have wondered for a while, long before the thread got into SEED Discourse™, about how much the timing of the show influenced how it was received. Some of the points it wants to try to make, and the way it portrays its villains, hit a little different in the 2020s as opposed to 2002-3.)

I'm in the camp of the show having a lot of problems, but especially with time going on, the villains if anything get more believable by the year and are not one of those problems.

The 20 years between then and looking back on it now are probably more important considering the age the target audience would have been.

Cool mobile suits with names like "Freedom" and "Justice" fit right in with the height of USA bringing democracy to terror states and dictatorships in the rest of the world. I remember people telling me how Kira was cool after they've watched the first episode back then.

Still I think there's some fair criticism that you can make of the show. It leans heavily into nepotism, with some characters getting placed into positions of power because of their family, or getting away with horrible poo poo because of their parents. Earth Alliance is shown to be almost always dumber and more belligerent than Plants, mainly because you only see the military warmongerers and the blue earth genociders. The plants feel more like the "good guys" and it's only really the ZAFT that's evil with their coup against Chairman Clyne and Athrun's dead having a break down about "we got to genocide them first".

Anyway really I was just thinking about how "no nuclear power on Earth" was a bit of an over reaction to Blood Valentine. I mean Earth Alliance might have started the war, but without nuclear modern civilization can't exist on the planet, it was a war for survival from that point on. Kind of a weird reversal from how the Japanese Empire started a war because they couldn't get oil anymore so they felt like they had to take their shot then and there, while for Earth Alliance it's a do or die situation from that moment on.

Kanos
Sep 6, 2006

was there a time when speedwagon didn't get trolled

Kchama posted:

This is the error I get that I have to Ignore to even get to the picture I posted last time.

I got that error and had a lot of problems when trying to use the most recent version of Dolphin. I dug up an old version on my hard drive(version 5.0-5938) and it worked properly without throwing up errors or text bugs.

General Revil
Sep 30, 2014

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS

Kchama posted:

Are you using the latest patch from Romhacking and applied it to a clean iso (not a gcm)?

It seems impossible because I don't think we publicly released this patch, but it looks like you're getting the error where I accidentally coded in a Move Word, instead of Move Byte command and made the characters several million pixels wide and crashed the game.

And what version of Dolphin are you using?

Kitfox88
Aug 21, 2007

Anybody lose their glasses?

General Revil posted:

It seems impossible because I don't think we publicly released this patch, but it looks like you're getting the error where I accidentally coded in a Move Word, instead of Move Byte command and made the characters several million pixels wide and crashed the game.

Programming is a nightmare :v:

Kchama
Jul 25, 2007

General Revil posted:

Are you using the latest patch from Romhacking and applied it to a clean iso (not a gcm)?

And what version of Dolphin are you using?

I got the latest version 1.02 from Romhacking and applied it to a clean ISO, because the prepatched 1.01 I got had the same issue.

I just picked up the latest 5.0-14790 Beta version of Dolphin because the latest stable version is 5 years old and the Dev version is 'updates every day, buggy as gently caress' according to them. What version should I be using?

Arc Impulse
Jun 5, 2010

Fun Shoe

Kchama posted:

I got the latest version 1.02 from Romhacking and applied it to a clean ISO, because the prepatched 1.01 I got had the same issue.

I just picked up the latest 5.0-14790 Beta version of Dolphin because the latest stable version is 5 years old and the Dev version is 'updates every day, buggy as gently caress' according to them. What version should I be using?

Yeah, something happened with Dolphin in a recent update to cause that to happen, as a few folks have run into that issue in newer versions. https://dolphin-emu.org/download/dev/5c957ec1909b7dcedbe79f2159dbf48d07bfe72c/ is the version I did all my dev stuff on here for GC, so it should work fine after switching that one cache setting for the battle text. On that other issue from beforehand, I have no idea on it from what you've posted so far here at least. May be worth setting up a portable version of Dolphin (make a file called "portable.txt" in the same folder as the exe file) so the settings are all default to test with, see if there's any difference.

Kitfox88 posted:

Programming is a nightmare :v:

agreed

General Revil
Sep 30, 2014

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS

Kchama posted:

I'm using the 5.0 version that's five years old. Works fine for me.

Kchama
Jul 25, 2007

Arc Impulse posted:

Yeah, something happened with Dolphin in a recent update to cause that to happen, as a few folks have run into that issue in newer versions. https://dolphin-emu.org/download/dev/5c957ec1909b7dcedbe79f2159dbf48d07bfe72c/ is the version I did all my dev stuff on here for GC, so it should work fine after switching that one cache setting for the battle text. On that other issue from beforehand, I have no idea on it from what you've posted so far here at least. May be worth setting up a portable version of Dolphin (make a file called "portable.txt" in the same folder as the exe file) so the settings are all default to test with, see if there's any difference.

agreed

I did a quick test with the version you posted and that fixed the issues. They were the same issue, as if I hit Ignore on that error screen I got the textless messed up screen. Thank you very much.

General Revil posted:

I'm using the 5.0 version that's five years old. Works fine for me.

I'm use to multiple year old versions of emulators being far worse, not better than the newer versions. Thank you.

Zeether
Aug 26, 2011

Is the SRX and Cybuster stuff only pre-order exclusive for SRW30? I saw some fine print saying they might come later as DLC or something like that but the recent interview that was translated mentioned the former.

Not gonna feel FOMO about it if that's the case, just unsure.

Kchama
Jul 25, 2007

Zeether posted:

Is the SRX and Cybuster stuff only pre-order exclusive for SRW30? I saw some fine print saying they might come later as DLC or something like that but the recent interview that was translated mentioned the former.

Not gonna feel FOMO about it if that's the case, just unsure.

If it is anything like the previous ones, then the preorder missions are just "You get to recruit them early", and otherwise they only join late in the game. I'm guessing they might offer them as later DLC because you actually do miss a little interaction-wise without the extra units in the previous games.

General Revil
Sep 30, 2014

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS

Kchama posted:

I'm use to multiple year old versions of emulators being far worse, not better than the newer versions. Thank you.

The Dolphin team is amazing, but this is something they really dropped the ball on. They need to release a 6.0 stable release. However, that would require them to do a feature freeze and shift development to bug squashing instead of all the fun new ideas they're coming up with. Just reading all the new stuff they've added over the past five years is really cool, but you always run the risk of big regressions. This is exactly a case of that.

Ethiser
Dec 31, 2011

Kchama posted:

If it is anything like the previous ones, then the preorder missions are just "You get to recruit them early", and otherwise they only join late in the game. I'm guessing they might offer them as later DLC because you actually do miss a little interaction-wise without the extra units in the previous games.

That interview says that they aren’t like the previous games and will only exist in game if you preordered.

Kchama
Jul 25, 2007

General Revil posted:

The Dolphin team is amazing, but this is something they really dropped the ball on. They need to release a 6.0 stable release. However, that would require them to do a feature freeze and shift development to bug squashing instead of all the fun new ideas they're coming up with. Just reading all the new stuff they've added over the past five years is really cool, but you always run the risk of big regressions. This is exactly a case of that.

That's a real shame.

I need to sleep now, so I'll get to playing GC later. I'm actually really looking forward to it, and have been ever since I heard it was being translated. Thank you for you and the rest of the GC translation team's hard work.

And I know I said poo poo, but I also want to thank the OGs team's hard work. I may be picky, but it's because I care, and I care because it's an overall great translation of a great game.

Zeether
Aug 26, 2011

I wanna get back to OGs but it got super tough for me real fast. Granted I guess I'm too used to VXT being more handholdy/casual focused.

Kchama
Jul 25, 2007

Zeether posted:

I wanna get back to OGs but it got super tough for me real fast. Granted I guess I'm too used to VXT being more handholdy/casual focused.

The biggest tip I have for you is to get SP Regen on everyone. It is the key to being able to keep up the fight in the later stages no matter how much HP or HP Regen they have. Also for skill points that require you to beat all enemies or X amount of enemies, never forget the basis of Assault Combat: Aim to do as much damage to as many enemies as possible on your turn. Killing them on your turn is fine if a unit can't attack anyone who is unharmed, you want to do most of your killing on the enemy turn. Prioritize high-danger or high-HP targets for your turn if you think leaving someone standing on their turn is too dangerous or they have too much HP to kill incidentally, but a lot of mooks can be swept up in counters.

Endorph
Jul 22, 2009

Zeether posted:

Get SP regen on everyone as soon as possible, upgrade generic machine guns and stick them on everyone. Keep in mind that even in OGs if you game over on a mission you keep the earned funds/EXP so you can just game over grind, and a couple failed half-runs will get you pretty far over the power curve even early on.

AradoBalanga
Jan 3, 2013

Kanos posted:

Why do they always refuse to put Neo Getter vs Shin Getter in anything other than B-list games and portables? :qq:
IIRC, it was the least financially successful of the early 00s Getter OVAs. Barring that, I assume the reason comes down to either voice actor issues or some other dumb nonsense.

JamMasterJim
Mar 27, 2010

Endorph posted:

Get SP regen on everyone as soon as possible, upgrade generic machine guns and stick them on everyone. Keep in mind that even in OGs if you game over on a mission you keep the earned funds/EXP so you can just game over grind, and a couple failed half-runs will get you pretty far over the power curve even early on.

I'd say for OGs, max Shothun offers a bit more value with chain shots. Lots of enemies clustered together in OG1 part

Willo567
Feb 5, 2015

Cheating helped me fail the test and stay on the show.

Kanos posted:

Why do they always refuse to put Neo Getter vs Shin Getter in anything other than B-list games and portables? :qq:

I would be down for a game that has it and Armageddon, where the invaders take control of the Gore/Burai hybrid and Gore overpowers them and starts the NvS Getter plot.

It would finally bring back the best version of Texas Mack

chiasaur11
Oct 22, 2012

AradoBalanga posted:

IIRC, it was the least financially successful of the early 00s Getter OVAs. Barring that, I assume the reason comes down to either voice actor issues or some other dumb nonsense.

It also doesn't have Ryoma as a pilot as a default, which means you don't get one of the big draws for Getter in terms of nostalgia. The Neo team doesn't have the cultural cache that the original crew does.

(Also, it has too much high power, man.)

Kanos
Sep 6, 2006

Willo567 posted:

I would be down for a game that has it and Armageddon, where the invaders take control of the Gore/Burai hybrid and Gore overpowers them and starts the NvS Getter plot.

It would finally bring back the best version of Texas Mack

They could also include both it and Armageddon in one of their parallel dimensions plotlines, because seeing Armageddon Ryoma and Go interact with Neo Go would be pretty hilarious.

Kanos fucked around with this message at 06:33 on Aug 31, 2021

BornAPoorBlkChild
Sep 24, 2012

Kitfox88 posted:

Programming was a mistake:v:

ftfy

Dance Officer
May 4, 2017

It would be awesome if we could dance!
SP regen is a skill for casuals, yes

Davzz
Jul 31, 2008
The OG1 portion of OGs usually have such short missions that SP Regen doesn't benefit as much as it does in OG2 (where missions tend to be a bit more drawn out) - and yeah, Shotguns tend to be a better deal in OGs over Machine Guns, though a handful of fully upgraded ones is still a solid choice.

I would say Attacker is probably the more "required purchase" on everyone except the designated spirit banks, but you should weave in perhaps a character who will get Support Attack with a strong weapon in order to finish off retreating bosses. If you favor counterattack heavy strategies using a small amount of units (Latune is very good at this) then Revenge is also very attractive for its cost - this is especially true in OGs where it feels like the AI is changed such that enemies almost always target whatever is closest to them, making AI manipulation very easy.

MonsieurChoc
Oct 12, 2013

Every species can smell its own extinction.
Just pump everything into stats, see what happens.

Kchama
Jul 25, 2007

Davzz posted:

The OG1 portion of OGs usually have such short missions that SP Regen doesn't benefit as much as it does in OG2 (where missions tend to be a bit more drawn out) - and yeah, Shotguns tend to be a better deal in OGs over Machine Guns, though a handful of fully upgraded ones is still a solid choice.

I would say Attacker is probably the more "required purchase" on everyone except the designated spirit banks, but you should weave in perhaps a character who will get Support Attack with a strong weapon in order to finish off retreating bosses. If you favor counterattack heavy strategies using a small amount of units (Latune is very good at this) then Revenge is also very attractive for its cost - this is especially true in OGs where it feels like the AI is changed such that enemies almost always target whatever is closest to them, making AI manipulation very easy.

The length of missions literally doesn't matter with SP Regen. The value of SP Regen is that you can literally keep up everyone's defensive spirits at all times, letting you get a lot more mileage out of everyone. Flash being 10 and Focus being 15 means that you can cast Flash on everyone who has it on turn 1 and that's one attack they have all dodged for free. It also makes support casters much better because once you get them SP Regen they can cast their support spells much more since the cost of their defensive spirits are basically paid for automatically. This is especially more-so if you also get people lots of SP Up. You can have absurd amounts of SP which with SP Regen means that with bosses you can be more free to use SP before you get to bosses and then have a huge chunk to alpha strike the boss over and over. Concentrate is also extremely valuable for that reason, as it makes your SP Regen even more impactful.

My counterattack-heavy strategy, by the way, uses everyone. Even support casters like Garnet are perfectly fine for it, given the proper unit and weapons. I don't think spending that much on shotguns or machine guns is that great an idea, though. I'd say two are the limit, if only because as you get later in the game you can get much better weapons overall that just plain outrank them in every way. However, one or two are fine as a decent early anti-boss weapon. But they lose their punch pretty quickly. I didn't regret maxing out a couple and using them for degenerate custom bullet strategies, though. You really want to spend your money on upgrading key stats on units, and key attacks on specific units. The Grungust units finishers, for example, are perfect choices. SRX's finisher, as well. The secret weapons also give an immense amount of bang for their buck. The Shishioh Blade is an amazing weapon that can find use in literally anyone's hands. For weapons you want to concentrate your money, whereas spreading out upgrades for units is generally better. FUBs and CBs are fantastic to get but most of them aren't strictly necessary, but the Grungust ones increase the damage they deal even more, and SRX's lets you put another item slot on to make that unit even more disgusting. But otherwise you want to be getting as many units their 'basic neccessities' as possible. Dodgers need Mobility, SRs need Armor first. EN for those who use it a ton is also very wise. I use my SP Regen so I don't need HP as much, so that can be upgraded last for dodgy units.

Attacker is actually a fine skill to put on people, but it's something I usually fit on after I have SP Regen and SP Up on them in large amounts. Support Attack is good on some key people who have good units and a lot of free skill slots. I actually don't really care for Revenge because despite being counter-attack focused, it is close to a wasted slot on most people during boss fights, as bosses usually can only focus on one person. Keeping them in the fight longer and doing more damage at all times is much stronger. Also note that Rai and Aya are special cases. It's a very good idea to build them towards being SRX's pilots. So stuff that can improve it is extremely useful on them. SP Regen of course. As much SP Up as you can get. Concentrate. E-Save on one of them. Use the free slot to get Infighter on Ryusei. While straight stat ups give more damage, Infighter gives Movement which is very important and why I feel it is a good pick on slow units. Similarly, Gunfighter's range boost makes it attractive as the more enemies you can hit with more people each turn, the better. In OG2 Ryusei wants Gunfighter and maybe also Infighter. Break Morale Limit is also good on your boss killers if you have a slot to spare.

In short, in OG, you can often win many battles much more easily on the tactics front if you prepare on the strategic front properly.

Kchama fucked around with this message at 08:12 on Aug 31, 2021

Kanos
Sep 6, 2006

What? SP Regen's value is absolutely intrinsically tied to how long the mission is in turn count because it only triggers per turn. It doesn't matter if you get to cast flash or focus for "free" if the mission isn't long enough in absolute turn count that you'd run out of SP to do what you need to do before the mission is over.

If Pilot A has 80 SP and Focus for 15, they can cast Focus 5 times before tapping out. If Pilot B has the same capacity and cost and SP Regen, they can cast Focus 16 times before tapping out(net loss of 5 SP per turn). This only really begins to matter when stages are longer than 5 combat turns(because you don't need to cast Focus on turns where you're maneuvering into range). SP Regen might, at most, give you a bit more wiggle room regarding casting Valor in short burn stages, but assuming you're not playing a no-upgrade run, there are almost no bosses in OG1 that can't be killed in like two or three focused combat turns by your entire team, even endgame bosses like Judecca or Septuagint.

Machine guns and shotguns absolutely never lose their punch in OG1 because variable upgrade costs mean they can be max upgraded for peanuts. You can max out two M950s or shotguns and give them to anyone who can equip weapons(which, given that it's OG1, is the vast majority of your roster) for roughly the cost of maxing out a single super robot's finisher, and those M950s have a ton of ammo and ~5000 power and are post movement and cost no morale. They wildly outperform most actual baseline robot attacks, and if you're playing the remake the M950s are even *better* because the bullet crafting system lets you put together some really stupid poo poo like S rank ammo or morale down ammo or armor breaker ammo.

Kanos fucked around with this message at 14:53 on Aug 31, 2021

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Kchama
Jul 25, 2007

Kanos posted:

What? SP Regen's value is absolutely intrinsically tied to how long the mission is in turn count because it only triggers per turn. It doesn't matter if you get to cast flash or focus for "free" if the mission isn't long enough in absolute turn count that you'd run out of SP to do what you need to do before the mission is over.

If Pilot A has 80 SP and Focus for 15, they can cast Focus 5 times before tapping out. If Pilot B has the same capacity and cost and SP Regen, they can cast Focus 16 times before tapping out(net loss of 5 SP per turn). This only really begins to matter when stages are longer than 5 combat turns(because you don't need to cast Focus on turns where you're maneuvering into range). SP Regen might, at most, give you a bit more wiggle room regarding casting Valor in short burn stages, but assuming you're not playing a no-upgrade run, there are almost no bosses in OG1 that can't be killed in like two or three focused combat turns by your entire team, even endgame bosses like Judecca or Septuagint.

Machine guns and shotguns absolutely never lose their punch in OG1 because variable upgrade costs mean they can be max upgraded for peanuts. You can max out two M950s or shotguns and give them to anyone who can equip weapons(which, given that it's OG1, is the vast majority of your roster) for roughly the cost of maxing out a single super robot's finisher, and those M950s have a ton of ammo and ~5000 power and are post movement and cost no morale. They wildly outperform most actual baseline robot attacks, and if you're playing the remake the M950s are even *better* because the bullet crafting system lets you put together some really stupid poo poo like S rank ammo or morale down ammo or armor breaker ammo.

No, that's inherently wrong. When I say for 'free' I mean it. Casting Flash on turn one means that if you take more than one turn to get hit, then you did not spend that SP in any way that matters, and you have Flash on. And the value you get from that is so strong that it beats basically anything else. Especially since it, in fact, just allows you to stop and rest for a few turns to fully regain your power. A lot of the most difficult boss fights do not require you to defeat the boss fully for the skill point, so it allows you to be more free with your seishin. SP Regen lets you cast Accel to get units into battle quicker without it being a permanent loss to your SP. It lets you get first-strike capability because you can cast Flash and have it active when you actually get into battle and the SP cost already refunded. While you say that you only that only matters after five turns, you will be casting more than Focus and/or Flash in a lot of situations, and even when you run out you can have a little defensive power back every turn. So Focus being 'reduced' to 2-5 SP a turn means congrats, that 80 SP goes a lot further for everything. Especially on support casters who have big and expensive spells and can't afford to cast defensive spells so freely.

I really think you underestimate just how strong "can't be ran out of SP for the rest of the battle" is.

Also the Shotgun and M950's punch is actually not all that great. The M950 is cheap and that's it's main thing, especially since you don't get the parts needed for the really good ammo shenanigans until later in OG1. Shotguns are actually a fair bit more expensive and both lose out to G-Revolvers which are also bullet weapons and have the same price profile, range, and do more damage and comes with an S rank, plus better accuracy and crit chance. They lose on ammo compared to the M950 and aren't ALL like the shotgun, but that's about it. You don't get as many as them but you do get one relatively early and R-1 does not particularly need it. Both the shotgun and M950s max out at 4800 at 110000 and 165000 respectively, and the G-Revolver tops out at 5000 for 110000. So if you want a cheaply upgradable ammo gun, use it instead.

It's fine to have one for cheap ammo shenanigans later on since you don't want to use anyone you want to be actually dealing real damage using them, but it's a decent chunk of change for something that's only going to be adequate later on in OG1 and not cutting it at all in OG2. You'd be better off saving the money and putting them into better things in the long-term.

Also that single SR attack will get more done over the game.

In my full OGs playthrough I just did, I ended up not using my upgraded M950s after a while as they just stopped being useful outside of needing someone equipped with one to weaken barriers. Yeah, the damage was fine but most of my units long had much better weapons and they ended up feeling like an early game crutch more than anything and otherwise barely worth equipping onto my support pilot's units. OGs definitely made them a lot worse in the long run as while bullet nonsense is good, you don't need to upgrade them for that, and you get more units that can't use them at all, and wouldn't need to even if they could use them.

Kchama fucked around with this message at 17:11 on Aug 31, 2021