Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Nemo2342
Nov 26, 2007

Have A Day

Nap Ghost

CottonWolf posted:

I just looked at the trickster tricks and some of they are ridiculous.

Reroll any d20 roll with athletics at -25 and dodge any attack with mobility at -10 particularly. The all enemies who fail an intimidate check atttempt suicide one is pretty good too. Admittedly, you can only get two of those three. And they all synergise with the “take any roll at +5 if you pass an knowledge world check of the same DC” lower level trick. A trickster with a couple of skill focuses is going to be a joke (appropriately enough).

I really want to play some kind of skill monkey now, just to break things with all the dumb tricks.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

prometheusbound2
Jul 5, 2010
Cross-posting from the Infinity Engine thread:

I'm extremely excited for Wrath of the Righteous. I played and liked Kingmaker after it had been thoroughly patched and love the game in turn based mode. However, I'd rate Kingmaker a substantial notch below Pillars of Eternity and Original Sin 2, it's nearest competitors. I thought Pillars beat Kingmaker in story and writing, and possibly character builds as well--its hard to say because I really dislike real time with pause combat and the character system is so tied to combat. I also thought Original Sin 2 had much better combat, perhaps because it wasn't tied to the quirks of the Pathfinder system.

With that said, I had some questions on Wrath of the Righteous:

1. I thought Kingmaker was lackluster compared to its competitors in terms of reactivity. I love it when games respond to your quest resolution decisions, offer multiple decisions, and have lines based on your class/race/prior decisions. Kingmaker had some of this and was better than Baldur's Gate, but paled in comparison to PoE and other Obsidian games. Has this been improved?

2. Setting aside the quirks of Pathfinder, Kingmaker wasn't well balanced, or wasn't balanced for fun. Enemy stats seemed unreasonably high and the penultimate was notorious for throwing every possible cheap trick at players. This seemed to be a deliberate design choice rather than growing pains. How is Wrath of the Righteous about this?

3. The setting seems really uninteresting. A massive war zone with a demon invasion? Seems like something a middle schooler would draw in their school binder. Or a set up for a straight up dungeon crawler--which has it place, but I'm hoping for something with more emphasis on exploration and non-combat elements. How are those elements? Particulary, how is the exploration? In Kingmaker, there was a lot, but I thought it was lackluster--lots of small, empty maps with boring loot.

Perfect Potato
Mar 4, 2009
Based on your post if your idea of reactivity is random npcs going "woah cool horns" then sure that's increased tenfold. Kingmaker's reactivity blew both PoE games away and it's not even close however

Terrible Opinions
Oct 18, 2013

Not sure on 1 but I can help with the others

prometheusbound2 posted:

2. Setting aside the quirks of Pathfinder, Kingmaker wasn't well balanced, or wasn't balanced for fun. Enemy stats seemed unreasonably high and the penultimate was notorious for throwing every possible cheap trick at players. This seemed to be a deliberate design choice rather than growing pains. How is Wrath of the Righteous about this?
House at the end of time fuckery aside the game is just geared a bit too much for higher optimization play. I'd sincerely recommend just turning the difficulty down a notch or two as it just decreased those inflated numbers. From my understanding there is no house equivalent but the last act is not in the beta. Though given it was one of the biggest sticking points against the first game I doubt they will have a really terrible final dungeon again. As for gotchas wrath has more or less the same three or so instances of introducing a new mechanic by killing you with it as kingmaker.

prometheusbound2 posted:

3. The setting seems really uninteresting. A massive war zone with a demon invasion? Seems like something a middle schooler would draw in their school binder. Or a set up for a straight up dungeon crawler--which has it place, but I'm hoping for something with more emphasis on exploration and non-combat elements. How are those elements? Particulary, how is the exploration? In Kingmaker, there was a lot, but I thought it was lackluster--lots of small, empty maps with boring loot.
The game world is unfortunately shackled to Paizo's Golarion setting which is not terribly good. They have done what they can but it's working from someone else's work.

sebmojo
Oct 23, 2010

Legit Cyberpunk

ha, i just went back to bald hill and obliterated those elfy fucks, thanks thread. i did cheat in blind fight for my smilodon, but apart from that it was just being more prepared and focusing the head guy.

Nissin Cup Nudist
Sep 3, 2011

Sleep with one eye open

We're off to Gritty Gritty land

WotR has inspired me to finally get around to installing Kingmaker

How balanced is the game for turn-based since it was originally designed for RTwP? Do fights becomes substantially long in turn based?

What's the most OP class I can make in order to zip through things quicker? Some sort of caster class?

Terrible Opinions
Oct 18, 2013

Sylvan sorcerer with smilodon companion, grease, and the pit spells.

SirFozzie
Mar 28, 2004
Goombatta!

Lord Koth posted:

I mean, technically you could be a Fighter, who get plenty of feats, and then just ride Seelah's animal companion instead. Unless the game locks you to only riding your own, you don't actually have to be an animal companion class to effectively play a mounted character. Alternatively sacrifice some of your personal mounted combat prowess, and just use one of the various 3/4 BAB spellcasting classes that get mounts. This gets you Share Spells to toss whatever you feel like on your animal companion to help keep it alive.

As a side note, what is Boon Companion doing on that feat list? I don't see any multiclassing, and Cavaliers of any sort shouldn't be taking an innate penalty to animal companion level.

I'll change the OP:

sebmojo
Oct 23, 2010

Legit Cyberpunk

Nissin Cup Nudist posted:

How balanced is the game for turn-based since it was originally designed for RTwP? Do fights becomes substantially long in turn based?

What's the most OP class I can make in order to zip through things quicker? Some sort of caster class?

Turn based is definitely easier, but it's a hard game. if you're even vaguely well set up you'll be breezing through fights in the midgame on RTWP, then buckling down with turn based for the tricky ones.

Fight length is fine, you're either gonna win or lose reasonably fast and if it's a forgone conclusion either way you just take it off turnbased.

SirFozzie
Mar 28, 2004
Goombatta!
Hey Seb, sent you a PM to get the title updated, and updated the OP at least to start.

pentyne
Nov 7, 2012

Nissin Cup Nudist posted:

You can toggle it like stealth mode. I've literally switched between RTwP and Turn Based mid combat to both fix a glitch and to just speed up wiping mobs.

If you want insane OP builds check this out
https://www.gog.com/forum/pathfinder_kingmaker/ineffects_guide_v2/page1

Probably best to follow the companion guides too in order to maximize their potential.

But playing as a caster going hard on CC spells like sleep, stinking cloud, etc. is the easy mode. Kineticst with deadly earth is just a cheat mode.

sebmojo
Oct 23, 2010

Legit Cyberpunk

SirFozzie posted:

Hey Seb, sent you a PM to get the title updated, and updated the OP at least to start.

cheers, it's no prob to change it back if someone makes another thread but it makes sense to keep it all in here too.

sebmojo
Oct 23, 2010

Legit Cyberpunk

pentyne posted:

You can toggle it like stealth mode. I've literally switched between RTwP and Turn Based mid combat to both fix a glitch and to just speed up wiping mobs.

Probably best to follow the companion guides too in order to maximize their potential.

But playing as a caster going hard on CC spells like sleep, stinking cloud, etc. is the easy mode. Kineticst with deadly earth is just a cheat mode.

yeah, single classed characters are generally very competent if you do sensible things with their stats and equipment.

Buck Wildman
Mar 30, 2010

I am Metango, Galactic Governor

pentyne posted:

this guy is also sponsored by Neoseeker and all of his builds and advice can be found there, among other's: https://www.neoseeker.com/pathfinder-kingmaker/guides/Builds

he's currently working on a similar guide for wrath of the righteous. worth noting that he seems to have a reputation for being a little hidebound in his opinions and doesn't give a scrap for "flavor" or anything besides minmax effectiveness. can affirm that his builds are legit though

Buck Wildman fucked around with this message at 06:59 on Aug 31, 2021

Buck Wildman
Mar 30, 2010

he's p remarkably diligent on updating his builds with balance changes and the like too

Buck Wildman
Mar 30, 2010

quote is not edit

pentyne
Nov 7, 2012
Thinking maybe add something a little more streamlined to the OP for people checking it out now. I'm not up on Wrath to much beyond watching videos and reading this thread so someone else would have to make a decent OP.

Hey I’ve heard about a Pathfinder game before this, what was that?

The previous Owlcat game was Pathfinder: Kingmaker. What you’ve heard was probably that it was released in such a broken and buggy state as to be unbeatable for several months. Once it was fixed, you might’ve heard it was full of save of die traps and impossible encounters that expected you to min-max your characters to hell and back. If not that, then that the game would punish you 20 hours later for a bad decision and cause you to lose the game out of nowhere.

So, yeah, those things were true for a bit, but it’s not the state of things anymore. Let me quickly address that

State of the game: Yes, there are some bugs still present, but by and large the game is feature complete and playable with little issue. Keep back-up saves just in case
Game Traps: There are a small number of sections where you get a new mechanic sprung on you that is extremely hard for your level and the context. Unfortunately, some of those will happen in the first few hours of play. There are easy workarounds and after that it rarely ever happens again in game.
Mix-Max Characters: Sort of, not really. You really need to be build your characters to specialized in something. Defense, DPS, Casting nukes, Casting control spells, etc. You also have the freedom to take classes levels however you wish, meaning if you want a sorcerer with 4 levels of barbarian, 2 thief, and 4 cleric, you can do that. The end result is going to be a unplayable mess, but it’s still possible. In general, any pure class built with a purpose in mind will be able to handle the game at normal without too much hassle.
Unforeseen Game ending consequences: This is heavily tied into kingdom mode that most people agree should be played on the easiest setting. There are some simple strategies to never worry about those problems.

So, yes the game has issues. Also yes, they are very easily managed, especially with the Bag of Tricks, a mod/cheat program with a clean UI that works to streamline and eliminate 99% of those game problems.

Why play this game?

Personally, there’s nothing like it. It’s the first modern crpg that captures that feeling over going from level 1 to godhood over the course of 50-100 hours. There’s incredible flexibility once you dig into the game systems and learn the tricks and exploits for powers and abilities. The UI for combat and casting is crisp and extremely easy to use and switch around to suit your playstyle. It’s an engaging saga of going from a random adventurer to conquering your own Kingdom and creating an empire.

SirFozzie
Mar 28, 2004
Goombatta!

pentyne posted:

Thinking maybe add something a little more streamlined to the OP for people checking it out now. I'm not up on Wrath to much beyond watching videos and reading this thread so someone else would have to make a decent OP.

Hey I’ve heard about a Pathfinder game before this, what was that?

The previous Owlcat game was Pathfinder: Kingmaker. What you’ve heard was probably that it was released in such a broken and buggy state as to be unbeatable for several months. Once it was fixed, you might’ve heard it was full of save of die traps and impossible encounters that expected you to min-max your characters to hell and back. If not that, then that the game would punish you 20 hours later for a bad decision and cause you to lose the game out of nowhere.

So, yeah, those things were true for a bit, but it’s not the state of things anymore. Let me quickly address that

State of the game: Yes, there are some bugs still present, but by and large the game is feature complete and playable with little issue. Keep back-up saves just in case
Game Traps: There are a small number of sections where you get a new mechanic sprung on you that is extremely hard for your level and the context. Unfortunately, some of those will happen in the first few hours of play. There are easy workarounds and after that it rarely ever happens again in game.
Mix-Max Characters: Sort of, not really. You really need to be build your characters to specialized in something. Defense, DPS, Casting nukes, Casting control spells, etc. You also have the freedom to take classes levels however you wish, meaning if you want a sorcerer with 4 levels of barbarian, 2 thief, and 4 cleric, you can do that. The end result is going to be a unplayable mess, but it’s still possible. In general, any pure class built with a purpose in mind will be able to handle the game at normal without too much hassle.
Unforeseen Game ending consequences: This is heavily tied into kingdom mode that most people agree should be played on the easiest setting. There are some simple strategies to never worry about those problems.

So, yes the game has issues. Also yes, they are very easily managed, especially with the Bag of Tricks, a mod/cheat program with a clean UI that works to streamline and eliminate 99% of those game problems.

Why play this game?

Personally, there’s nothing like it. It’s the first modern crpg that captures that feeling over going from level 1 to godhood over the course of 50-100 hours. There’s incredible flexibility once you dig into the game systems and learn the tricks and exploits for powers and abilities. The UI for combat and casting is crisp and extremely easy to use and switch around to suit your playstyle. It’s an engaging saga of going from a random adventurer to conquering your own Kingdom and creating an empire.

Yoinked! Thanks

pentyne
Nov 7, 2012

Welcome to Hell The Worldwound

Pathfinder Wrath of the Righteous is the latest from Owlcat, crazy Russian devs who came from nowhere with Pathfinder Kingmaker a few years ago and put themselves on the scene as serious competition for making the best crpgs on the market. Kind of. It’s complicated given their games were Kickstarter successes with all the good and bad that go with it. Anyways, back to the new game

Wrath of the Righteous is based on the Paizo adventure path of the same name. It’s not a sequel to Kingmaker and requires no prior experience beyond some understanding of how the Pathfinder system works. It’s the classic, roll a d20, ttrpg style game, where your goal is to be making your numbers go up in a way where you can crush your enemies numbers. Let’s take a look at the official material, taken from Owlcat themselves

quote:

The realm of Sarkoris was destroyed when Areelu Vorlesh, a scholar and practitioner of forbidden magics, opened a rift to the abyssal planes of existence, and hordes of demons invaded Golarion. Led by the evil Demon Lords Deskari and Baphomet, the abyssal forces crushed all who stood against them, turning Sarkoris into a demon-infested land now known as the Worldwound. It fell to the neighboring nations to assemble an army capable of withstanding the demonic assault to protect the world from the flames. Thus the Crusades began.

The war has been raging for over a hundred years now with little hope of victory. The enemy forces are numerous and their rage is unmatched. Defeat would be certain if not for the Wardstones—the obelisks of divine power placed along the borders of the Worldwound to hold back the invasion. Created under the guidance of Iomedae's herald, they form a protective barrier that prevents the demons from pushing through.

It is no wonder that the Wardstones were the demon armies’ first target. Those villainous forces launched a surprise attack on the frontier city of Kenabres, ripping apart its defenses in mere minutes, corrupting the Wardstone housed there, and scattering the crusaders. In the utter chaos of the burning city, one of the crusaders—to their own amazement—discovers a source of power within themselves. While the origin of the power remains unknown, and the form it takes depends on the person, the purpose is clear: this power may be just what the people of the ravaged city need to survive the assault—and to bring the fight to the enemy.

Facing the impossible, the name of the game is flexibility and choice. To make a character, you get
Races: Aasimar, Dhampir, Dwarf, Elf, Gnome, Half-elf, Half-Orc, Halfling, Human, Kitsune, Oread, Tiefling. Some of those races have a selection of “heritage” that will affect their starting abilities.
Base Classes:

For each class, 5-6 archetypes, each with their own flavor and unique features. Some are restricted by race, but most are not.
In addition to the base classes, you also have prestige classes, which are usually the result of multi-classing or a certain specialization that introduces extra powers and skills you can’t otherwise get.

All this? This is just to start the game. Then the real choices begin.

Wrath of the Righteous introduces two new systems, the Mythic Path and the Crusade system, as part of your game experience.
Mythic Paths

After you start the game, a series of events ends up bestowing you with mythic powers granting you god-like abilities and new character customization potential. Mythic paths are the defining feature of the game, as you choose your path it will have effects on how the story plays out and how you progress with your crusade. The 6 main mythic paths are

Angel: The Angel is a mighty champion of good, leading the Crusade by example. They move across the battlefield on their mighty wings, smiting the demons with a sword of holy flame. Those who are fighting alongside the Angel are certain that they will be protected and healed—and even resurrected in the case of their untimely demise. In times of dire need the Angel can ask Heaven for help and celestial allies will join them in battle

Azata: When a war has been raging for over a hundred years such as the crusades have, one must be ready to make unexpected moves to achieve victory. Some may claim that Azatas act first and think later, but tell that to the demon hordes, trampled and fleeing in terror from this unstoppable force for good. The Azata trust their instincts and makes spontaneous decisions. They easily befriend those who don't fit well into even rows of the "official" crusade, and inspire their allies to fight rather than command them to do so. That makes Azatas the heroes these demon-ravaged lands so dearly need.

Aeon: The Aeon is a cosmic judge of balance—Judge Dredd meets Merlin on a cosmic scale. They can sense where the balance is broken and fix it, often punishing the perpetrator in the process. The cool thing about the Aeon is that they can detect places where the balance was greatly disturbed in the past and travel back in time to fix it. In doing so, they can change their current timeline, usually for the better.

Trickster: The Trickster is a Loki-type character. They are here to have fun and play jokes on even the mightiest creatures. One of their late-game abilities is an understanding that their fate is determined by random chance, like the roll of a die of destiny. Armed with such knowledge, the Trickster can manipulate those die rolls in their favor. Every time the system rolls a natural 1 for them, the Trickster changes it into a natural 20. And players will be able to see it happening before their eyes.

Lich: The Lich is an immortal creature, commanding their own army of undead. Even the mightiest adversaries the Lich defeats can be raised as slaves under the Lich’s command. Eventually, this master of undeath and necromancy can even replace their mortal companions with powerful undead minions they create. They master the art of magic—especially necromancy—and wield an armament of unique and especially powerful spells like death realm.

The other 4 are late change mythic paths that you may be able to change to that take it to even further extremes.

The Crusade System

No war of conquest can happening without armies, and this is the way you march across the land sieging enemy fortress and conquering land. As of writing this, the Crusade system in the beta has been spotty at best, and no one is expecting great things on release. It features a auto-win mode where instead of having to engage in the game system to progress the main story you’ll automatically conquer the area/region/city of interest when you need to.

This also ties in heavily to the mythic path, as the chosen path will determine what kind of troops you can field. Allegedly, the Trickster will get so weird that you can recruit munchkin npcs based on designs sent in by fans.

Check back in with the thread a few days/weeks/months post release for the most accurate take on the game. Hopes are high but Pathfinder Kingmaker didn't really reach the state it's currently in for the better part of a year post release.

Avalerion
Oct 19, 2012

Think I'm starting to understand how oracles work so battle oracle angel it is... weapon wise I'm considering glaive or longspear to be poking from behind the tanks, or maybe a great sword for style and to take advantage of the extra bite attack if I go wolf scarred...

Mythic wise looks like dipping into nature later on for the CHA to AC and a pet might be fun...

Agnostalgia
Dec 22, 2009
Missing Demon from the paths list.

SirFozzie
Mar 28, 2004
Goombatta!

pentyne posted:

Welcome to Hell The Worldwound

Pathfinder Wrath of the Righteous is the latest from Owlcat, crazy Russian devs who came from nowhere with Pathfinder Kingmaker a few years ago and put themselves on the scene as serious competition for making the best crpgs on the market. Kind of. It’s complicated given their games were Kickstarter successes with all the good and bad that go with it. Anyways, back to the new game

Wrath of the Righteous is based on the Paizo adventure path of the same name. It’s not a sequel to Kingmaker and requires no prior experience beyond some understanding of how the Pathfinder system works. It’s the classic, roll a d20, ttrpg style game, where your goal is to be making your numbers go up in a way where you can crush your enemies numbers. Let’s take a look at the official material, taken from Owlcat themselves

Facing the impossible, the name of the game is flexibility and choice. To make a character, you get
Races: Aasimar, Dhampir, Dwarf, Elf, Gnome, Half-elf, Half-Orc, Halfling, Human, Kitsune, Oread, Tiefling. Some of those races have a selection of “heritage” that will affect their starting abilities.
Base Classes:

For each class, 5-6 archetypes, each with their own flavor and unique features. Some are restricted by race, but most are not.
In addition to the base classes, you also have prestige classes, which are usually the result of multi-classing or a certain specialization that introduces extra powers and skills you can’t otherwise get.

All this? This is just to start the game. Then the real choices begin.

Wrath of the Righteous introduces two new systems, the Mythic Path and the Crusade system, as part of your game experience.
Mythic Paths

After you start the game, a series of events ends up bestowing you with mythic powers granting you god-like abilities and new character customization potential. Mythic paths are the defining feature of the game, as you choose your path it will have effects on how the story plays out and how you progress with your crusade. The 6 main mythic paths are

Angel: The Angel is a mighty champion of good, leading the Crusade by example. They move across the battlefield on their mighty wings, smiting the demons with a sword of holy flame. Those who are fighting alongside the Angel are certain that they will be protected and healed—and even resurrected in the case of their untimely demise. In times of dire need the Angel can ask Heaven for help and celestial allies will join them in battle

Azata: When a war has been raging for over a hundred years such as the crusades have, one must be ready to make unexpected moves to achieve victory. Some may claim that Azatas act first and think later, but tell that to the demon hordes, trampled and fleeing in terror from this unstoppable force for good. The Azata trust their instincts and makes spontaneous decisions. They easily befriend those who don't fit well into even rows of the "official" crusade, and inspire their allies to fight rather than command them to do so. That makes Azatas the heroes these demon-ravaged lands so dearly need.

Aeon: The Aeon is a cosmic judge of balance—Judge Dredd meets Merlin on a cosmic scale. They can sense where the balance is broken and fix it, often punishing the perpetrator in the process. The cool thing about the Aeon is that they can detect places where the balance was greatly disturbed in the past and travel back in time to fix it. In doing so, they can change their current timeline, usually for the better.

Trickster: The Trickster is a Loki-type character. They are here to have fun and play jokes on even the mightiest creatures. One of their late-game abilities is an understanding that their fate is determined by random chance, like the roll of a die of destiny. Armed with such knowledge, the Trickster can manipulate those die rolls in their favor. Every time the system rolls a natural 1 for them, the Trickster changes it into a natural 20. And players will be able to see it happening before their eyes.

Lich: The Lich is an immortal creature, commanding their own army of undead. Even the mightiest adversaries the Lich defeats can be raised as slaves under the Lich’s command. Eventually, this master of undeath and necromancy can even replace their mortal companions with powerful undead minions they create. They master the art of magic—especially necromancy—and wield an armament of unique and especially powerful spells like death realm.

The other 4 are late change mythic paths that you may be able to change to that take it to even further extremes.

The Crusade System

No war of conquest can happening without armies, and this is the way you march across the land sieging enemy fortress and conquering land. As of writing this, the Crusade system in the beta has been spotty at best, and no one is expecting great things on release. It features a auto-win mode where instead of having to engage in the game system to progress the main story you’ll automatically conquer the area/region/city of interest when you need to.

This also ties in heavily to the mythic path, as the chosen path will determine what kind of troops you can field. Allegedly, the Trickster will get so weird that you can recruit munchkin npcs based on designs sent in by fans.

Check back in with the thread a few days/weeks/months post release for the most accurate take on the game. Hopes are high but Pathfinder Kingmaker didn't really reach the state it's currently in for the better part of a year post release.

And Fozzie pulls off the rare DOUBLE YOINK! (thanks, appreciated)

Razakai
Sep 15, 2007

People are afraid
To merge on the freeway
Disappear here
For people that have played the beta, how prevalent and annoying are traps? I see that the only rogue companion lacks trapfinding if it follows the PnP rules.

JamMasterJim
Mar 27, 2010

Razakai posted:

For people that have played the beta, how prevalent and annoying are traps? I see that the only rogue companion lacks trapfinding if it follows the PnP rules.

You just need people with good perception to spot them and good trickery to disarm them.
Perception and trickery have tons of other uses, so you keep companionse who are good at it at all times. Especially perception, the one skill you want multiple people having it .

sebmojo
Oct 23, 2010

Legit Cyberpunk

Did it without breaking it!

Arivia
Mar 17, 2011
Just wanted to confirm the details from the last few pages about WotR - the cavalier class is in, mounted combat is in, but spears take the place of lances (meaning they do double damage when used on a charge). Is Spirited Charge (the feat, deals double damage when charging on a mount, stacks with lances/spears) also in? Can you actually play a mounted charge character for once in a 3e/PF CRPG? That is incredibly exciting.

SpaceDrake
Dec 22, 2006

I can't avoid filling a game with awful memes, even if I want to. It's in my bones...!

Arivia posted:

Just wanted to confirm the details from the last few pages about WotR - the cavalier class is in, mounted combat is in, but spears take the place of lances (meaning they do double damage when used on a charge). Is Spirited Charge (the feat, deals double damage when charging on a mount, stacks with lances/spears) also in? Can you actually play a mounted charge character for once in a 3e/PF CRPG? That is incredibly exciting.

Yes to pretty much all of this. The min-maxers are a little down on Cavalier still (you still need to charge in and out of combat a lot, which is slightly ~slower~ than getting stuck in) but everything's in and all the mechanics work.

And yes, you can play as DINOSAUR CAVALRY.

Razakai posted:

They made sure Woljif is still good at trapfinding, though trapfinding is just perception in Owlcat-finder. The skill system is a fair bit simpler than in PnP.

Traps are usually prevalent, but getting someone who can deal with them, especially in a six man party, isn't too hard.

SpaceDrake fucked around with this message at 10:54 on Aug 31, 2021

Captain Oblivious
Oct 12, 2007

I'm not like other posters
So I understand in one of the last beta updates they changed it so that mythic path alignment shifts don’t turn off class features from alignment locked classes. Question is can you keep taking levels IE an Azata Paladin.

SpaceDrake
Dec 22, 2006

I can't avoid filling a game with awful memes, even if I want to. It's in my bones...!

Captain Oblivious posted:

So I understand in one of the last beta updates they changed it so that mythic path alignment shifts don’t turn off class features from alignment locked classes. Question is can you keep taking levels IE an Azata Paladin.

I've been asking this too, and it sounds like the current belief is that it doesn't allow you to take levels, but you do keep the abilities from levels you have gained. It's still unclear, though, and we'll have to wait for the 2nd to see for sure.

Arivia
Mar 17, 2011

SpaceDrake posted:

They made sure Woljif is still good at trapfinding, though trapfinding is just perception in Owlcat-finder. The skill system is a fair bit simpler than in PnP.

Traps are usually prevalent, but getting someone who can deal with them, especially in a six man party, isn't too hard.

Trapfinding is a weird special ability that rogues and related classes get in pen and paper Pathfinder that means they can find and disarm traps others can't. (So it's not a skill, it's an addition to the usual Perception and disarm skill stuff.) It's not in Kingmaker (if it was Kingmaker's archaeologist bard would have had it), and I wouldn't expect it to be in WotR.

e: that is to say, you're right but when a person coming from pen and paper Pathfinder asks about trapfinding they mean a specific thing that "the NPC has great Perception" doesn't cover, so I'm attempting to clarify and help out.

e2: and if you're wondering why the gently caress it is a thing, it's basically how the 3e/PF pen and paper games kept the dedicated trap finding character as a necessary party role. Calling it trapfinding is a clarification of the even weirder wording of it in 3e where it is literally "you can find and disarm traps as if you were a rogue of your level" except it actually doesn't give you any skill points in Search or Disable Device.

Arivia fucked around with this message at 11:33 on Aug 31, 2021

Goa Tse-tung
Feb 11, 2008

;3

Yams Fan
Just thought of a cool character concept: a Lawful Evil Monk using the secret mythic path. Basically the theme is "Temptation" and willpower to test it.

man I wish I could play this at the table (and not the og adventure path)

Terrible Opinions
Oct 18, 2013

Yeah the pathfinder trapfinding mechanic where stuff over a specific perception required a distinct class ability is the sort of bad design that paizo itself had to fix via traits for trap heavy aps.

CottonWolf
Jul 20, 2012

Good ideas generator

There we go, pre-ordered and pre-installed the game. We'll find out on Thursday whether it'll actually run or it'll be a quick refund from Steam and a long wait for the console version.

DourCricket
Jan 15, 2021

Thanks Coupleofkooks
AMA with the devs for Wrath in one hour here -

https://www.reddit.com/r/OwlcatGames/

I'll do a write-up a few hours in of the main bits if no one else gets around to it

Gharbad the Weak
Feb 23, 2008

This too good for you.
For the Gold Dragon path mechanics:

I feel like there's fun to be had with the sudden increase in BaB. It'd take a loooong time to get there, but someone going (sneak attack class) 1/Wizard 9/Arcane Trickster 10 or something will go from being a backline spellcaster to "turns into a dragon with full BaB" or just buffing to hell and back and going into melee. Ranged or melee full progression spellcaster with high basic attack bonus and sneak attack, plus whatever other nonsense the path will eventually have that we haven't seen.

With the "choose any feat" thing, if there's a respec, it'd give you some interesting avenues, although that's gonna still gonna be feat starved to heck and back.

Gharbad the Weak fucked around with this message at 17:26 on Aug 31, 2021

Memnaelar
Feb 21, 2013

WHO is the goodest girl?

DourCricket posted:

I'll do a write-up a few hours in of the main bits if no one else gets around to it

At work all day and won't be able to keep up but would love that.

pentyne
Nov 7, 2012

DourCricket posted:

Curious if they'll give detail about the last acts or the other mythics. They really kept the secret romance in KM close to the chest for as long as they could.

DourCricket
Jan 15, 2021

Thanks Coupleofkooks
AMA Part 1 - 2pm EST~ . For brevity, I will be summarizing questions and answers that are longer than a sentence or two. Questions in BOLD
  • Why isn't there a Mythic Armour focus that does the same thing as Archmage Armour? --- We don't think that any feats of that kind were necessary.
  • Were there any plans for a "fey" mythic path / Do Azata get awesome wings like in their portraits? ---- No, but Trickster has strong fey vibes. / Azata gets even more awesome wings than on the portraits, trust me :)
  • Does your mythic path affect your appearance? - Yes it does. Especially after final transformation.
  • Can we expect new classes, races or even mythic paths in future --- New Mythic paths are highly unlikely, as for classes and races - no plans right now, but it's possible.
  • What is the most interesting mythic path, in your opinion? --- Azata! (It's not because I wrote it... It's just my sincere, honest, unbiased opinion! :) ).
  • Do you plan to develop a game not related to the mechanics of board games and in your own setting? --- Every developer wants to make their own world!
  • Any plans to expand animal companions eventually, in DLC? Say, more dinosaurs? --- It is possible in future.
  • are you satisfied with your work on mythic paths and on turn-based mode? Is there something you wish you had a bit more time to change it? --- No matter how much polishing you do, you always feel that you want to do more. There's always some sort of an optimal point where it's time to stop and say yourself - hey, it's enough. We hope that we found that point in most cases :)
  • The previous game has been described as "a gm who hates you". Did you listen to these comments, and how did you change the new game in response? ---- It largely depends on the difficulty options. Core of the gameplay is the same, but the setting is darker and grimmer
  • Will basic kitsune have tail? --- Yes
  • What are you guys most proud of or what came together really well in a way you maybe didn't expect? --- Welp. As for me, I'm really proud that, at last, we made a game with a totally insane and nearly limitless amount of options and builds. I am a big fan of TT Pathfinder, and my biggest love their is that amount of options, allowing you to create anything you want. /// I was proud of the companions I wrote (Sosiel and Arueshalae from the pen-and-paper module, and Ember whom I came up with), but it was absolutely breathtaking to see them gain new depth as they left my hands, and my colleagues did their magic. Portraits, voices, animations, level designs of their quests, additional dialogues — all of these made me meet my darlings anew :)
  • What was the biggest lesson you've learned from the Kingmaker? --- "I know writers who use subtext, and they're all cowards!" ((C) Garth Marenghi).
    I learned that when you write something subtle, most of the readers will ignore it. In fact, even when you write something not-too-subtly, but less then five times, most readers will ignore it. HOWEVER, if you don't write something, and not even have it in mind when you're working, some of the readers will read it between the lines and surprise you with unexpected interpretations.
  • Are gamepads supported in the day one version of the game? --- Not day one
  • Where is Alderpash? Is he safe? Does he have some sexy new art? --- He's in our hearts. Also (somewhat) in the title of the game ;-)
  • Does alignement affect your Mythic Path options? ---- It's complicated. Each alignment is tied to a specific bunch of alignments, and the actions you take on that path tend to fall into these alignments. You can be a good Lich, but you'll have to skip some of the more evil actions this path includes. You'll be able to end the story as a good-aligned Lich, but you won't be very good at being the Lich :)
  • is there some possibility of more DLC after this season pass is done? --- Currently only 3 are planned, but there's a possibility it may change in future.
  • Will the Gold Dragon mythic path also have spells? --- Nope
  • Azata: Will we further cosmetic upgrades as we progress, akin to the full lich transformation? --- Yep!
  • My question is whether you know yet whether that DLC will be different depending on your Mythic Path? Kind of difficult to imagine any being turning towards a Swarm for help for example --- it will definitely take your Mythic Path choice into account in some fashion.
  • Скажите, сколько будет весить патч?) ---- Патч планируется довольно увесистым, как минимум несколько гигабайт.
  • Will there be a list of known bugs avaliable for us to see ---- At launch yes, mostly major issues
  • Are there any plans to add more options to the model character creator with dreads or other hairstyles, darker skin tones (esp for elves etc), and faces with features matching bipoc, especially black people? --- Some additional customization options have been added to the release version of the game in comparison with beta.
  • Does WotR take place after the events in the Stolen Lands? If so is there any continuation or perhaps familiar characters that we might bump into? --- WotR takes place a few years after the events of the first game in another region of the same world. There are some references and appearances of some of the old characters in the game, but otherwise it's a new story with new heroes and villains.

There are also several "fan-answered" questions I see but I'm passing on those. Also some more 80's Action Move bad guy lingo questions I can't be assed to translate.

Will come back for more in an hour or two.

Part 2:
  • next Pathfinder CRPG, which would you pick and why?--- Speaking for myself, and myself only, as I'm not the one who calls the shots: I really want to make Iron Gods, aka Pathfinder: Fallout. This is NOT an announcement of a next game :) /// We are currently focused on releasing Wrath of the Righteous and can't share much information about future releases yet. Some patience is required :)
  • Finally, do you guys have any idea around when the DLC will come out --- No dates yet
  • Among the many new mechanics in Wrath (paths, mounts, etc) , what proved the most difficult to implement? ---- Speaking as a narrative designer, the hardest feature is always keeping track of multiple possible timelines: the many decisions you make and all their consequences. As the story becomes more complicated, the number of these options skyrockets. //// Mythics paths.
    Not only they have an incredible amount of new mechanics, they are also tightly linked to the story, and that makes the challenge even greater.
  • Will we see more weapon representation in Wrath of The Righteous? --- Finnean, the sentient weapon, is for you - it can change into any weapon you want (and proficient in)
  • What's Devs thought about balance regarding Demon and Aeon? Many users have express they regards about the state of those two paths --- We've heard people talking about this - we monitored activity in beta-channels quite closely, and we made several iterative changes to make those mythics be a bit stronger (increasing Aeon's Gaze DC, increasing number of demonic rages per day and increasing the number of simultaneous minor aspects). We don't think that any massive reworks are needed, and we are quite happy with the current power balance
  • As a Kitsune, would you be able to switch between human and anthropomorphic shape at will? Are there any gameplay differences between the two shapes? Will there be any changes in dialogues with NPCs? --- Yes and no, no.
  • Any chance for Ratfolk and Kobold races in DLC? Also would the companions made for DLC be more expanded than Tiefling Sisters in Kingmaker? --- It's very unlikely that these races will be added. [Transcriber note - this one fuckin stings]
  • Kingmaker is still in not the greatest spot on consoles is there any plan to port kingmaker to the updated engine and maybe do a PS5, Series X update to kingmaker? --- Not in the near future
  • Is the game more balanced around the turn based or real time with pause combat? --- RTWP
  • Does the game have respec? and how does it work with the mythic path? --- Yes, and can respec your choices in the path, but not the path itself
  • Are there any polyamorous romance options? --- Unfortunately, not this time :(
  • How lengh is the game with all optional quests ? --- You can safely bet 100+ hours for one average playthrough. [Transcriber note: come the gently caress on please and edit some content poo poo]
  • Will the final dungeons of WotR be less awful to go through? --- We do hope you will like what you will see :)
  • Who is Best Girl? --- Camellia, duh./// Aivu /// Nocticula!
  • Currently some people are experiencing problems with already activated/double Steam gamekeys. Will this matter be resolved before launchday? --- We're working on it
  • You guys have plans to translate the game in more languages? --- Possibly in the future, Kingmaker was
  • There are plans for an Color Blind mode? --- Yep
  • Mything paths are there any plans to potentially rebalance them post-release if it turns out some are more powerful or interesting than the others? --- We are not really planning on making them equal - some power desparity is totally okay in a single-player game.
  • Will the game's main story consist of (more or less) self contained story arcs like in the first game? --- Wrath has a way more consistent storyline than Kingmaker. You'll have to make some detours here and there, but mostly it's the story of the Crusade, from its beginning to the end.
  • Will I miss out on a bunch of stuff during an Evil playthrough? ---- From the beginning, one of our main concern was to not make a game exclusively for Lawful Good Paladins Of Law And Goodness. There are whole mythic paths dedicated to the path of Evil.
  • Will the portrait of the player change depending of the mythic path he chooses? --- Each Mythic path has two alternative portraits (male and female). You can change the portrait later in the game, or keep your original one.
  • Given the well known issues with bugs in the console release of Kingmaker, some of which will never get fixed, what have you done to make sure this same issue doesn’t occur in the console releases of Wrath?---- We are doing our best to learn on mistakes of Kingmaker. Also, Wrath is developed from the start with console port in mind, and there's a good amount of time till console release to polish it.
  • Will you keep adopting Pathfinder 1e adventure paths in the future? --- Can't confirm or deny
  • So can I play as a dragon? --- you can become one later in the game
  • Can you ride Aivu after he grows a bit bigger? --- Yep
  • Was it always the plan to not have the choice of all mythic paths at the same time? How were the mythic paths that would become available later chosen? --- Yes, that was the plan from the start. There were two main reasons for it, one - we wanted to have big, important choice in the second half of the game, another is a spoiler. Initially, only Legend was supposed to be late-game path, then we added Gold Dragon and Swarm on Kickstarter.

DourCricket fucked around with this message at 21:14 on Aug 31, 2021

DisgracelandUSA
Aug 11, 2011

Yeah, I gets down with the homies

quote:

Скажите, сколько будет весить патч?) ----

Патч планируется довольно увесистым, как минимум несколько гигабайт.

quote:

Tell me, how much will the patch weigh?)

The patch is planned to be quite weighty, at least several gigabytes.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

bagrada
Aug 4, 2007

The Demogorgon is tired of your silly human bickering!

Bah they won't talk about what paths and classes they considered but didn't add, because they don't want people to be upset or think they might be coming in the DLC.