Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

X-O
Apr 28, 2002

Long Live The King!

exquisite tea posted:

Not sure where to ask this, but somebody itt might know:

I'm looking for a specific clip from Scrubs, or just the episode name in general, where JD is helping some old lady fix her tire. Then as she's driving away he goes "oh wait, it's righty tighty lefty loosey not lefty tighty righty loosey! Oh well, felt good to help though," as her tire falls off in the distance. I could be misremembering some or all of this scene, but hopefully someone more knowledgeable in Scrubs lore can help point me in the right direction!

That's the one with the old lady who is going to die and her son or brother or someone threatens to sue the hospital because because she's fine with it. Can't remember the name.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Chubby Henparty
Aug 13, 2007

That's the one with Mrs Liningham from WW right, can probably work back from that

Milo and POTUS
Sep 3, 2017

I will not shut up about the Mighty Morphin Power Rangers. I talk about them all the time and work them into every conversation I have. I built a shrine in my room for the yellow one who died because sadly no one noticed because she died around 9/11. Wanna see it?
Wasn't there a white lotus thread?

Mu Zeta posted:

Also one dude is still a working actor and the other isn't so it's not a wild guess which is the rear end in a top hat everyone hates.

Are they both even still working? Last thing I recognized fox on was bone tomahawk which was fine and I know I've seen Adewale in something but I'll be damned if I can remember

X-O
Apr 28, 2002

Long Live The King!

Chubby Henparty posted:

That's the one with Mrs Liningham from WW right, can probably work back from that

Nope, that's a different episode. Her episode is the one where JD is scared he'll mess up and kill someone.

Chairman Capone
Dec 17, 2008

exquisite tea posted:

Not sure where to ask this, but somebody itt might know:

I'm looking for a specific clip from Scrubs, or just the episode name in general, where JD is helping some old lady fix her tire. Then as she's driving away he goes "oh wait, it's righty tighty lefty loosey not lefty tighty righty loosey! Oh well, felt good to help though," as her tire falls off in the distance. I could be misremembering some or all of this scene, but hopefully someone more knowledgeable in Scrubs lore can help point me in the right direction!

You're thinking of the scene in Zodiac when he tries to kill the mother and baby on the highway.

Annabel Pee
Dec 29, 2008
Google says S04E23

exquisite tea
Apr 21, 2007

Carly shook her glass, willing the ice to melt. "You still haven't told me what the mission is."

She leaned forward. "We are going to assassinate the bad men of Hollywood."

Annabel Pee posted:

Google says S04E23

That ended up being the one, thank you. Here's the clip in case anybody was curious.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=5uMvPNqMaMk&t=59s

DaveKap
Feb 5, 2006

Pickle: Inspected.

You ever go watch something from your childhood and then realize you forgot you were haunted by a question for years only to now be haunted by it again? That has happened to me and I felt the need to share it with someone so how about this thread?
I mentioned the old game show "Debt" in another thread and decided to go watch a little bit and reminisce about the old times. I was getting through the title sequence when...

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=7n7CSDgwKMc&t=20s

"Let's meet today's contestants," says Wink Martindale. But wait... something is off here... I don't remember him saying the word "contestants." Oh jeez, am I having a Mandela effect moment? Hold up, let's check out the same sequence but from a later season.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=-p1EUUL4YVc&t=22s

I knew it! At some point, Wink started saying, "Let's meet today's contestaaiiii." But... what the gently caress is a contesti? That's not the plural of the word contestant. In fact, it's not even a word at all. What's going on here?!

And now I am re-haunted by the question, why did he change to saying contesti, a word that isn't even real?

zoux
Apr 28, 2006

Yeah, I got one, I didn't read comics, like at all, when I was a kid and one day when we were on a family road trip, and my dad went into a gas station and bought some random comics off of a rack for us kids. One of them was a Batman comic, and the one thing I remember about it was that the critical clue in the issue was a wrapper of Swiss chocolate. But the wrapper used the french spelling of Swiss, that is to say "Suisse" and for the life of me I couldn't figure out how it was supposed to be pronounced. So grievous a wound this was to my mind that I remember it to this day, though I have never been able to find what issue it occurred in. This would've been late 80s early 90s.

Gene Hackman Fan
Dec 27, 2002

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS

DaveKap posted:

And now I am re-haunted by the question, why did he change to saying contesti, a word that isn't even real?

it was the 90s and there was time for attempted creativity

edit: why would they do the dollar amounts in the negative? you were subtracting debt so they should have just added the money to the score. you subtract from a negative number, you get an even bigger negative number

Chubby Henparty
Aug 13, 2007

zoux posted:

One of them was a Batman comic, and the one thing I remember about it was that the critical clue in the issue was a wrapper of Swiss chocolate. But the wrapper used the french spelling of Swiss, that is to say "Suisse" and for the life of me I couldn't figure out how it was supposed to be pronounced.

This reminded me that all of NZ including the company used to pronounce Nestlé as Nessils.

X-O
Apr 28, 2002

Long Live The King!

zoux posted:

Yeah, I got one, I didn't read comics, like at all, when I was a kid and one day when we were on a family road trip, and my dad went into a gas station and bought some random comics off of a rack for us kids. One of them was a Batman comic, and the one thing I remember about it was that the critical clue in the issue was a wrapper of Swiss chocolate. But the wrapper used the french spelling of Swiss, that is to say "Suisse" and for the life of me I couldn't figure out how it was supposed to be pronounced. So grievous a wound this was to my mind that I remember it to this day, though I have never been able to find what issue it occurred in. This would've been late 80s early 90s.

Detective Comics #634

zoux
Apr 28, 2006

X-O posted:

Detective Comics #634

:eyepop:

WHoa thanks. I think probably the font was also confounding me

DurosKlav
Jun 13, 2003

Enter your name pilot!

exquisite tea posted:

That ended up being the one, thank you. Here's the clip in case anybody was curious.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=5uMvPNqMaMk&t=59s

Is JDs voice being high pitched a result of networks speeding up syndicated episodes slightly so they can fit in more commercials? Because I dont remember him being that whiny sounding.

STAC Goat
Mar 12, 2008

Watching you sleep.

Butt first, let's
check the feeds.

DurosKlav posted:

Is JDs voice being high pitched a result of networks speeding up syndicated episodes slightly so they can fit in more commercials? Because I dont remember him being that whiny sounding.

Everyone sounds wrong to me there. It might be the uploader changing the voices so they don't get recognized by copyright searches.

Cactus
Jun 24, 2006

I'm halfway through the pilot episode of For All Mankind and is it supposed to be this infuriating? The Americans are such a bunch of pathetic whiny sore losers it's embarassing to watch, and finding out that it all could've been avoided if they had not ignored the advice of one of the female techs because she was "out of her lane" makes it extra-schadenfreudey because the only conclusion I can reach right now at this early stage is that they deserve every single loss.

Obviously my question is rhetorical - of course it's shot in a way to cause maximum frustration; instead of being overjoyed that mankind has reached a huge milestone and celebrating the fact, all they can do is be miserable that it wasn't "their tribe" that did it first. I sense this is going to be a recurring theme throughout the whole show. I like it because it's a really interesting premise to me, but my god I hate every single character I've seen so far that has had any significant amount of dialogue/screentime, with the exception of the lady that was "out of her lane."

X-O
Apr 28, 2002

Long Live The King!

STAC Goat posted:

Everyone sounds wrong to me there. It might be the uploader changing the voices so they don't get recognized by copyright searches.

Could be one of the three reasons

1) It’s from a PAL video source which does speed it up.
2) Speed increase to fit more commercials in syndication.
3) Speed increase to avoid copyright.

Generally 2&3 are extremely noticeable in both sound and movement. The movement doesn’t look too off to me so I’d guess a PAL video source.

X-O fucked around with this message at 01:41 on Aug 31, 2021

EL BROMANCE
Jun 10, 2006

COWABUNGA DUDES!
🥷🐢😬

I mainly watched Scrubs in PAL-land and I noticed it sounding particularly fast when I watched the clip, so syndication nonsense is my guess.

X-O
Apr 28, 2002

Long Live The King!

Well the reason I don’t say syndication is that this is the last scene of the episode so if it were syndication it’d likely be half size with credits going super fast on the bottom or side. Because syndication sucks.

Gramps
Dec 30, 2006

Kaniehtiio Horn's appearance on this weeks Reservation Dogs was fuckin fantastic. If you aren't watching this show get on it ASAP

isaboo
Nov 11, 2002

Muay Buok
ขอให้โชคดี
Yeah, it gets better and more interesting with each episode

The soundtrack is good too

EL BROMANCE
Jun 10, 2006

COWABUNGA DUDES!
🥷🐢😬

X-O posted:

Well the reason I don’t say syndication is that this is the last scene of the episode so if it were syndication it’d likely be half size with credits going super fast on the bottom or side. Because syndication sucks.

Kinda want to upload the exact same scene from a retail copy and see if it gets hit with a copyright strike now…

Oasx
Oct 11, 2006

Freshly Squeezed
The first episode of Reservation Dogs didn't anything for me. I normally like everything Taika Waititi does, but I just didn't find the show funny.

Gramps
Dec 30, 2006

Oasx posted:

The first episode of Reservation Dogs didn't anything for me. I normally like everything Taika Waititi does, but I just didn't find the show funny.

First one is the least funny of the 5 currently out. Stick it out for a couple more. If the 2nd or 3rd don't get you then it's not for you

Looten Plunder
Jul 11, 2006
Grimey Drawer

Gramps posted:

First one is the least funny of the 5 currently out. Stick it out for a couple more. If the 2nd or 3rd don't get you then it's not for you

I don't really find the show funny (at least not in the sense of actually laughing out loud). It's just a really good show.

Looten Plunder
Jul 11, 2006
Grimey Drawer

Timby posted:

Terry O'Quinn, who is notoriously hard to work with, just a real pill. Abrams cast him as Locke sight-unseen because they'd worked together in the past and partially wrote the role for him.

He was originally supposed to have a much larger role in the first X-Files movie but director Rob Bowman just couldn't handle him.

How do I not know any of this? what do you mean by "red pill"?

Steven Conrad must have a good working relationship with him, he's in everything he makes.

Azhais
Feb 5, 2007
Switchblade Switcharoo
Pill is just slang for "an unpleasant person" in this context

Timby
Dec 23, 2006

Your mother!

Looten Plunder posted:

How do I not know any of this? what do you mean by "red pill"?

Steven Conrad must have a good working relationship with him, he's in everything he makes.

"Real pill," not "red pill."

Open Source Idiom
Jan 4, 2013

Gramps posted:

Kaniehtiio Horn's appearance on this weeks Reservation Dogs was fuckin fantastic. If you aren't watching this show get on it ASAP

She's so good, glad to see her getting some recognition outside of random Canadian genre stuff.

Wes Studi was great too.

Medullah
Aug 14, 2003

FEAR MY SHARK ROCKET IT REALLY SUCKS AND BLOWS

Open Source Idiom posted:

She's so good, glad to see her getting some recognition outside of random Canadian genre stuff.

Wes Studi was great too.

Hey now, Letterkenny isn't random!

Gramps posted:

Can second this. First episode for me was very dull and I don't know that I would have watched the second except I'm super lazy and it rolled on Hulu while I was on the couch, and now I'm definitely all in.

Timby
Dec 23, 2006

Your mother!

Medullah posted:

Hey now, Letterkenny isn't random!

I suggest you let that marinate. :v:

zoux
Apr 28, 2006

https://twitter.com/DEADLINE/status/1432463783306223616

gently caress yeah

Chairman Capone
Dec 17, 2008

The article says the new Rocketeer is going to be a former Tuskegee Airman, which is a cool idea.

I rewatched the original movie not too long ago and it still holds up. Really great cast and set design.

Rhyno
Mar 22, 2003
Probation
Can't post for 10 years!
Here's hoping they get Billy Cambell on board as a grumpy old Cliff.

zoux
Apr 28, 2006

Chairman Capone posted:

The article says the new Rocketeer is going to be a former Tuskegee Airman, which is a cool idea.

I rewatched the original movie not too long ago and it still holds up. Really great cast and set design.

Yeah I saw it in the theater as a kid and loved it, I was shocked to find out later on that it was a failure

Medullah
Aug 14, 2003

FEAR MY SHARK ROCKET IT REALLY SUCKS AND BLOWS
Jennifer Connelly in the Rocketeer was the first time I fell in love with a celebrity as a kid.

Rhyno
Mar 22, 2003
Probation
Can't post for 10 years!

Medullah posted:

Jennifer Connelly in the Rocketeer was the first time I fell in love with a celebrity as a kid.

This is everyone aged 35 to 45s story.

SimonChris
Apr 24, 2008

The Baron's daughter is missing, and you are the man to find her. No problem. With your inexhaustible arsenal of hard-boiled similes, there is nothing you can't handle.
Grimey Drawer
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Ht5R5XxH-60

Every time someone mentions The Rocketeer, I am reminded of this.

bull3964
Nov 18, 2000

DO YOU HEAR THAT? THAT'S THE SOUND OF ME PATTING MYSELF ON THE BACK.

Mike Richards has been fired by Sony.

https://variety.com/2021/tv/news/mike-richards-fired-executive-producer-jeopardy-wheel-of-fortune-1235052887/

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Big Bad Voodoo Lou
Jan 1, 2006

Rhyno posted:

This is everyone aged 35 to 45s story.

43, and I concur. Between The Rocketeer, Career Opportunities, and Dark City a few years later (where she is arguably even MORE beautiful), she was one of my two '90s celebrity crushes. And she's still glorious on Snowpiercer today, even when she isn't all glammed up.