Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Pile Of Garbage
May 28, 2007

im waiting for "CDOs but its NFTs" :getin:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Boxturret
Oct 3, 2013

Don't ask me about Sonic the Hedgehog diaper fetish
i'm going to make an nft for each pixel of a different nft

Boxturret
Oct 3, 2013

one nft for the coordinate, another for the colour

fart simpson
Jul 2, 2005

DEATH TO AMERICA
:xickos:

gschmidl posted:

My [31M] fiancee/girlfriend [28F] is upset that I proposed with an NFT instead of a ring. What can I do about this?

For this post my fiance will be Jenna (fake name) I'm 31 and Jenna is 28.

Jenna and I have been together 4 years. We have discussed marriage and agreed we would both be interested in the right situation financially. Jenna has recently been mad at me as I lost a significant portion of my half of our savings in dogecoin. I did make half of it back with stock market options but then lost some more and she wanted me to quit so I did. Jenna does not have an investing mind and is more interested in saving your money in a checking account and then buying a house or something, but I want to show her how we can multiply our money with investing.

Well things were going okay and then I found something that made my jaw drop. It was an NFT with significance to our life that she would love. I rushed to buy it with almost my entire life savings because I know this is a good one that could be worth a million when we're older.

I got down on one knee and presented her the NFT and she started crying. She said I was TA and that how could I do this. I explained to her that in ten years we could buy a mansion with this and it's a symbol of my love and devotion but she sees it as selfish and foolish.

I don't want to sell the NFT because it's once in a lifetime and I don't want to leave her. What can I do?

Tl:dr- My gf doesn't like investing and was mad I lost a significant amount of money in crypto. I bought her an NFT for our engagement instead of a ring and she's not saying yes and is mad. What do I do?

lol

FAUXTON
Jun 2, 2005

spero che tu stia bene

quote:

Jenna has recently been mad at me as I lost a significant portion of my half of our savings in dogecoin. I did make half of it back with stock market options but then lost some more and she wanted me to quit so I did. Jenna does not have an investing mind and is more interested in saving your money in a checking account and then buying a house or something, but I want to show her how we can multiply our money with investing.

women amirite fellas

Hammerite
Mar 9, 2007

And you don't remember what I said here, either, but it was pompous and stupid.
Jade Ear Joe

FAUXTON posted:

women amirite fellas

lol

those fe-males, always wanting to do something ridiculous with their money like "own their own home" or "have a pension"

FAUXTON
Jun 2, 2005

spero che tu stia bene

Hammerite posted:

lol

those fe-males, always wanting to do something ridiculous with their money like "own their own home" or "have a pension"

Just the whole "well I keep pissing away savings, but gosh she keeps getting mad about it because she likes dumb poo poo like buying a house whereas me, big brained money sieve, keeps trying to educate her on the powers of investing to multiply the money"

yeah dude you multiplied it by a negative

Shame Boy
Mar 2, 2010

no no he clearly multiplied it by 0.5 each time. lost half the savings, made half of that back, lost half the savings again...

SubG
Aug 19, 2004

It's a hard world for little things.
zeno's bankruptcy

FAUXTON
Jun 2, 2005

spero che tu stia bene

lol the jackass getting down on one knee and just unfolding a loving dorky rear end clip art printout "but it's gonna be worth millions baby" while she's sobbing

Gazpacho
Jun 18, 2004

by Fluffdaddy
Slippery Tilde
i don't think its real folks

Beelzebufo
Mar 5, 2015

Frog puns are toadally awesome

I really hope it was a meme, you know, one of those things that are notoriously longlived in culture.

Shame Boy
Mar 2, 2010

Gazpacho posted:

i don't think its real folks

it's r/relationships so of course it's not real, it's more fun if you suspend your disbelief though

Chris Knight
Jun 5, 2002

me @ ur posts

Fun Shoe

Beelzebufo posted:

I really hope it was a meme, you know, one of those things that are notoriously longlived in culture.
one story is not a meme, hth

Shame Boy
Mar 2, 2010

Chris Knight posted:

one story is not a meme, hth

they meant the NFT in the story, they hope that was a meme

Beelzebufo
Mar 5, 2015

Shame Boy posted:

they meant the NFT in the story, they hope that was a meme

yes, as in i hope this dude is imagining that the nft he bough is some rare doge or spongebob gif he imagines will go up in value instead of being irrelevant in 2 months

Beelzebufo fucked around with this message at 16:35 on Aug 31, 2021

AnimeIsTrash
Jun 30, 2018

gschmidl posted:

My [31M] fiancee/girlfriend [28F] is upset that I proposed with an NFT instead of a ring. What can I do about this?

For this post my fiance will be Jenna (fake name) I'm 31 and Jenna is 28.

Jenna and I have been together 4 years. We have discussed marriage and agreed we would both be interested in the right situation financially. Jenna has recently been mad at me as I lost a significant portion of my half of our savings in dogecoin. I did make half of it back with stock market options but then lost some more and she wanted me to quit so I did. Jenna does not have an investing mind and is more interested in saving your money in a checking account and then buying a house or something, but I want to show her how we can multiply our money with investing.

Well things were going okay and then I found something that made my jaw drop. It was an NFT with significance to our life that she would love. I rushed to buy it with almost my entire life savings because I know this is a good one that could be worth a million when we're older.

I got down on one knee and presented her the NFT and she started crying. She said I was TA and that how could I do this. I explained to her that in ten years we could buy a mansion with this and it's a symbol of my love and devotion but she sees it as selfish and foolish.

I don't want to sell the NFT because it's once in a lifetime and I don't want to leave her. What can I do?

Tl:dr- My gf doesn't like investing and was mad I lost a significant amount of money in crypto. I bought her an NFT for our engagement instead of a ring and she's not saying yes and is mad. What do I do?

His GF should :sever:

Qwertycoatl
Dec 31, 2008

https://www.bbc.co.uk/news/technology-58399338

quote:

A British collector says he feels "burned" after spending $336,000 (£244,000) on a fake Banksy NFT advertised through the artist's official website.

A link to an online auction for the NFT was posted on a now-deleted page of banksy.co.uk.

The auction ended early after the man offered 90% more than rival bidders.

Banksy's team told the BBC "any Banksy NFT auctions are not affiliated with the artist in any shape or form".

With NFTs, artwork can be "tokenised" to create a digital certificate of ownership that can be bought and sold.

They do not generally give the buyer the actual artwork or its copyright.

The duped buyer thought he was buying the world-famous graffiti artist's first ever NFT.

The 30-year-old, who wanted to remain anonymous, explained over Twitter direct messages that he now suspects Banksy's site was hacked, and that he was the victim of an elaborate scam.

He says he was first alerted to the auction by an anonymous person in his community on the social network Discord.

Banksy's official site had a new page called NFT which included a link to an auction site selling an NFT called Great Redistribution of the Climate Change Disaster.

The man, who describes himself as a professional NFT collector, entered a bid around 90% higher than others.

The auction swiftly ended and the funds - in cryptocurrency Ethereum - were sent to the scammer.

"It does seem to be some hack of the site. I confirmed the URL on PC and mobile before bidding. I only made the bid because it was hosted on his site.

"When the bid was accepted I immediately thought it was probably fake," he said.

Banksy's team did not respond to questions about how his site was compromised but said: "The artist Banksy has not created any NFT artworks."

Despite admitting that the NFT "probably won't find a buyer" now it's been revealed as a fake, the buyer says: "It's fine, it's a good story."

The buyer suspects the person who alerted him and others to the Banksy NFT sale may have been the hacker themselves.

He says he has tried to contact them online but has not had any response since the sale.

Tom Robinson, from cryptocurrency analysis company Elliptic, confirmed there was nothing the buyer could do once he has placed his bid on the auction platform OpenSea.

"OpenSea is the eBay of NFTs - it allows anyone to sell digital art that they own, or have created themselves. Once a bid has been placed, the seller can accept and the cryptocurrency is irreversibly transferred," he said.

LanceHunter
Nov 12, 2016

Beautiful People Club

quote:

"OpenSea is the eBay of NFTs - it allows anyone to sell digital art that they own, or have created themselves. Once a bid has been placed, the seller can accept and the cryptocurrency is irreversibly transferred," he said.

We openly allow fraud on our auction platform, and will do nothing about it if you get scammed. This is clearly the superior system!

Shame Boy
Mar 2, 2010

quote:

The 30-year-old, who wanted to remain anonymous, explained over Twitter direct messages that he now suspects Banksy's site was hacked, and that he was the victim of an elaborate scam.
Banksy's official site had a new page called NFT which included a link to an auction site selling an NFT called Great Redistribution of the Climate Change Disaster.

doesn't sound like it was hacked, sounds like banksy just dunked on you buddy

Shame Boy
Mar 2, 2010

quote:

The buyer suspects the person who alerted him and others to the Banksy NFT sale may have been the hacker themselves.

He says he has tried to contact them online but has not had any response since the sale.

they might be, but they might not be, they might actually just be secret-banksy who's gonna come out and tell them it was all real and they can have all their money back for learning a valuable lesson. you better keep being nice to them and give them more money just in case

Hammerite
Mar 9, 2007

Jade Ear Joe
professional NFT collector

Beelzebufo
Mar 5, 2015

In what way was that a fraud

sounds like he has exactly what he would have received if banksy himself had made the auction

are we saying we're using a trust system of artists to determine the legitimacy of nfts?

gross

Blotto_Otter
Aug 16, 2013

gschmidl posted:

No Fiancee Today

Stephen Harper
Apr 13, 2011

Canada is a Northern European welfare state in the worst sense of the term, and very proud of it.
taking "i'll start the wiki" to a whole new level

quote:

This decentralized blockchain project is hoping to build a new-generation, decentralized version Wikipedia, providing more enhanced solutions that exist with the online encyclopedia

as you might expect the specs are fantastic, professional, and not at all personally-driven

quote:

Wikipedia is a bureaucracy with unreasonably complicated rules and ineffective procedures that make improvement extremely hard and sometimes borderline impossible. Mastering them is a key to success in Wikipedia disputes while being a good writer is much less important. An experienced bureaucrat can literally claim ownership of articles and topics. One example are blockchain/cryptocurrency-related topics on English Wikipedia, strictly controlled by Wikipedia old-timers and cryptocurrency haters like David Gerard. Such people have large support groups that allow them to push their agenda using particular pages.
● Present a solution using meritocracy and consensus instead of bureaucracy

the submissions are all terrible but this one revolves around every user having "brainpower"

submission #8 posted:

User has 200 Brainpower and votes “No” using all their BP for an edit proposal. Total votes equal 2000 Brainpower with 1500 BP votes “Yes” and 500 total BP votes “No.” Because the user voted on the minority side, the slashing ratio is calculated as: ((1500) - (500)) / (2000) = (.5) then multiplied by (21 days) to get the increased lock-up time

FAUXTON
Jun 2, 2005

spero che tu stia bene

Hammerite posted:

professional NFT collector

this wall of piss jars is gonna be worth trillions one day

Boxturret
Oct 3, 2013

lol a bitcoin wiki made solely to fight the scourge of david "assisted living vampire" :gerard:

what an achievement

Boxturret
Oct 3, 2013

does an nft of all nfts contain itself?

Shame Boy
Mar 2, 2010

Stephen Harper posted:

as you might expect the specs are fantastic, professional, and not at all personally-driven

the submissions are all terrible but this one revolves around every user having "brainpower"

im the "decentralized version Wikipedia"

Hammerite
Mar 9, 2007

Jade Ear Joe

Stephen Harper posted:

lmao at the hate-mention of :gerard:

quote:

How can the most valuable members of the encyclopedia community be
rewarded for their contributions? How should the different productive work
(writing, editing, cleaning up, illustrating) be graded?

looking forward to Stack Overflow crossed with Wikipedia, brought to you by the Blockchain

I actually genuinely want to see what kind of bizarro world version of wikipedia they come up with by baking in perverse incentives and paying people money for editing. I mean it won't go anywhere but if it did I feel like it is guaranteed to be really funny.

kw0134
Apr 19, 2003

I buy feet pics🍆

Boxturret posted:

does an nft of all nfts contain itself?
set theory...but on the blockchain! axiom of choice of consent laws optional

Shame Boy
Mar 2, 2010

if it's anything like every other time people have tried to make Wikipedia But I Am King, it will start with a fork of normal wikipedia (since it's all open licensed) with the one or two pages the creator didn't like changed to be more favorable, and then nobody will ever change anything else so it will just be a stagnant swamp of increasingly outdated information

like the only one i can think of that didn't wind up like that was conservapedia and that only "works" because it's fueled by the white hot ball of rage

kw0134
Apr 19, 2003

I buy feet pics🍆

isn't conservapedia basically a parody of itself and has been almost from inception?

Shame Boy
Mar 2, 2010

kw0134 posted:

isn't conservapedia basically a parody of itself and has been almost from inception?

it's effectively a mirror of the craziest parts of the right wing so... yes? like remember who we just had as president

Hammerite
Mar 9, 2007

Jade Ear Joe

Hammerite posted:

paying people money for editing

money*

Hammerite
Mar 9, 2007

Jade Ear Joe
is bitcoin plays pokemon still up

Boxturret
Oct 3, 2013

Hammerite posted:

is bitcoin plays pokemon still up

yep! still going strong, here's a live feed:

Weatherman
Jul 30, 2003

WARBLEKLONK

Hammerite posted:

looking forward to Stack Overflow crossed with Wikipedia, brought to you by the Blockchain

Float Overflow

rotor
Jun 11, 2001

classic case of pineapple derangement syndrome

Blotto_Otter posted:

No Fiancee Today

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Chris Knight
Jun 5, 2002

me @ ur posts

Fun Shoe