Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

habeasdorkus
Nov 3, 2013

Royalty is a continuous shitposting motion.

Precisely! And when has Jason Mendoza ever led someone astray?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

SugarAddict
Oct 11, 2012
But fire does solve problems. All those overpriced houses with not enough fire protection in a place they probably shouldn't be trying to make a garden out of because of water problems are now gone.
Downside is people's houses are gone. Upside is maybe nextime they won't built their houses to catch fire so easily in a place that's known for everything burning down every few years.

They're living in firestorm place, you want the exterior of your house to be fireproof, make it out of stone or cement or something. Yeash.
That's like living in Florida and being surprised that your house to get hit by a hurricane and submerged every year.

achtungnight
Oct 5, 2014
I get my fun here. Enjoy!
But so many of those people displaced by the fires are coming to where I live and driving up housing prices, increasing my property taxes... which keep going up anyway and the house will get me more money when I sell it before I retire as is the current plan. I suppose it's fine.

And maybe some will move back to California eventually and build better fireproofed houses. I suppose that's good too.

As long as that doesn't lead to out of work firemen deciding to burn books or something equally bad...

Deep Dish Fuckfest
Sep 6, 2006

Advanced
Computer Touching

Toilet Rascal
Lol if you don't live in a corporate arcology where you don't have to worry about any of that stuff. Idiots.

SIGSEGV
Nov 4, 2010

Yeah, there the only risk is that the thermostat decides it is a god and then hijacks your body by hacking your cyberware or by spraying nanites through the fire suppression system to turn you into a disposable murder drone.

Deep Dish Fuckfest
Sep 6, 2006

Advanced
Computer Touching

Toilet Rascal
I think you'll find that's equally likely to happen if you use any Matrix-of-Things device in your "independent" home. Which is all devices these days.

bob dobbs is dead
Oct 8, 2017

I love peeps
Nap Ghost
drat i gotta post in favor of 50 story soulless concrete apartments everywhere i go i guess

thwy good. live like an urban east asian person

idhrendur
Aug 20, 2016

achtungnight posted:

Fire solves all problems? Tell that to people in a certain area of California, see what sort of response you get.

I’d like to see what she says if you ask what point there was to that story. The proper response- “I like stories.” :D

I mean, part of the problem is that we aren't doing enough controlled burns and that we spent about a century blocking all the natural burns. Climate change is making our mismanagement more pressing, but an appropriate use of fire would in fact solve many of those problems.

Deep Dish Fuckfest
Sep 6, 2006

Advanced
Computer Touching

Toilet Rascal

bob dobbs is dead posted:

drat i gotta post in favor of 50 story soulless concrete apartments everywhere i go i guess

thwy good. live like an urban east asian person

What about giant black glass pyramids? Because that's all my employer offers.

wiegieman
Apr 22, 2010

Royalty is a continuous cutting motion

The Viennese model of social housing is evidence that we can address the crisis of availability and affordability, while also giving people nice places to live:

The people with the power just don't want to.

AceOfFlames
Oct 9, 2012

wiegieman posted:

The people with the power just don't want to.

Not to mention that in the places where such projects exist, the rapidly vanishing middle class screams “why is my tax money going to giving THOSE PEOPLE a better house than MINE?” and vote accordingly.

Dareon
Apr 6, 2009

by vyelkin
Can't vanish fast enough. Get down here with the rest of us, mister two car garage.

e: I know I should really be focusing my bile on the upper class, but the phrase "mister two car garage" drifted through my head and it was too good to pass up.

girl dick energy
Sep 30, 2009

You think you have the wherewithal to figure out my puzzle vagina?
Don’t you lecture me with your $30 haircut.

KataraniSword
Apr 22, 2008

but at least I don't have
a MLP or MSPA avatar.
I am my own man.

girl dick energy posted:

I'll have you know that Sam is guaranteed to be fantastic, it's right there in his name. :colbert:

Dareon
Apr 6, 2009

by vyelkin

girl dick energy posted:

That's the second time I've seen that reference, and it still mystifies me. I can't tell if it's insinuating that 30 bucks is too much or too little to pay for a haircut, primarily because I haven't used a professional haircare service for 25 years, and they only charged me $5 as a friend of the family.

wiegieman
Apr 22, 2010

Royalty is a continuous cutting motion

Dareon posted:

That's the second time I've seen that reference, and it still mystifies me. I can't tell if it's insinuating that 30 bucks is too much or too little to pay for a haircut, primarily because I haven't used a professional haircare service for 25 years, and they only charged me $5 as a friend of the family.

It's insinuating that your haircut is cheap and looks bad because you're too poor to do better

And only a rich rear end in a top hat would say it

achtungnight
Oct 5, 2014
Some data that may be relevant.

- The usual price for a haircut is between $8 and $25 plus tip depending on where you go and your age. Of course this is for just a trim. Elaborate dyes, styles, and spa treatments can up the price considerably.

- My ex-wife used to spend about $400 every three months on a haircut and other beauty stuff. I disagreed with her as to the value of this, one reason we're no longer married.

- Congressman and Presidential Candidate John Edwards once spent several thousand dollars of taxpayer money on a haircut, one reason he's no longer in Congress.

achtungnight fucked around with this message at 20:24 on Aug 23, 2021

girl dick energy
Sep 30, 2009

wiegieman posted:

It's insinuating that your haircut is cheap and looks bad because you're too poor to do better

And only a rich rear end in a top hat would say it
What? No. It’s from an old Dragon Ball Z movie, said by someone wearing a trucker hat and a mullet to someone with very fancy-looking lavender hair. (Also the movie came out in 2004, when $30 with inflation would be more like $45-50.) He's saying he looks like a yuppie, and I'm making a joke to the same effect.

Careful that windmill you’re charging at doesn’t knock you on your rear end.

girl dick energy fucked around with this message at 20:27 on Aug 23, 2021

GhostStalker
Mar 26, 2010

Guys, find a woman who looks at you the way GhostStalker looks at every bald, obese, single 58 year old accountant from Tulsa who managed to win $4,000 by not wagering on a Final Jeopardy triple stumper.

I pay $8 for a basic haircut (without getting my hair washed afterwards, since I just head home and shower) in Chinatown, plus a $2 tip. Have never considered paying more than $10 for one, though I know my cousin does because his hair is a lot more elaborate. I really don’t understand people who spend that much more for them, but then again, all of my haircuts have been in Chinatown.

Xun
Apr 25, 2010

I know this might be a shocker but some people find spending effort and money on their appearance to be fun and enjoyable.

Some people like spending money on shiny gamer doodads, some people like spending money on nice food and drinks, and some people like spending money on makeup and hair :shrug: I don't know why people have to performatively go "I would NEVER spend ANY money on this specific hobby and I don't understand why anyone would!"

GhostStalker
Mar 26, 2010

Guys, find a woman who looks at you the way GhostStalker looks at every bald, obese, single 58 year old accountant from Tulsa who managed to win $4,000 by not wagering on a Final Jeopardy triple stumper.

Xun posted:

I know this might be a shocker but some people find spending effort and money on their appearance to be fun and enjoyable.

Some people like spending money on shiny gamer doodads, some people like spending money on nice food and drinks, and some people like spending money on makeup and hair :shrug: I don't know why people have to performatively go "I would NEVER spend ANY money on this specific hobby and I don't understand why anyone would!"

Nah, it’s just that I’ve never actually experienced having to pay that much for a standard haircut before because I only get haircuts in Chinatown so seeing prices at barber shops in more “affluent” areas gives me sticker shock sometimes. The first time I walked by a haircut place by my office in lower Manhattan offering $28 haircuts, I did a double take.

I totally get spending money on stuff you like, since my parents are on my rear end all the time about the amount of money I spend on eating out and animu merch all the time.

JustJeff88
Jan 15, 2008

I AM
CONSISTENTLY
ANNOYING
JUST TERRIBLE

THIS BADGE OF SHAME IS WORTH 0.45 DOUBLE DRAGON ADVANCES

:dogout:
of SA-Mart forever
My objection to people spending a small fortune on 'beauty' is that it's classist, decadent, and that society is way too shallow. Looking good rather than being good is something we badly need to get the gently caress over as a species.

GhostStalker posted:

I pay $8 for a basic haircut (without getting my hair washed afterwards, since I just head home and shower) in Chinatown, plus a $2 tip. Have never considered paying more than $10 for one, though I know my cousin does because his hair is a lot more elaborate. I really don’t understand people who spend that much more for them, but then again, all of my haircuts have been in Chinatown.

I've greatly reduced how often I get my haircut in the last few years. In part it's due to the pandemic and not wanting to be that close to someone, but it's also due to the fact that I've started wearing my hair longer as I get older and almost everyone cuts it too short. I think that I've had my hair cut 5 times in the last two years and four of those were rubbish because they sheared me like a sheep; one was just right. One of the four bad ones though was by my barber who trimmed me 10 years ago when I wore my hair much shorter, so I'll give that a pass.

Xun
Apr 25, 2010

JustJeff88 posted:

My objection to people spending a small fortune on 'beauty' is that it's classist, decadent, and that society is way too shallow. Looking good rather than being good is something we badly need to get the gently caress over as a species.

I mean you can easily look at this attitude as taking pride in exploiting a skilled laborer by refusing to pay reasonable wages for their time, expertise, and materials. Just because you don't see value in their skills does not mean it's worthless. I mean hell were in a videogame thread, and videogames are like the definition of decadent :v:

HerStuddMuffin
Aug 10, 2014

YOSPOS

achtungnight posted:

- Congressman and Presidential Candidate John Edwards once spent several thousand dollars of taxpayer money on a haircut, one reason he's no longer in Congress.

Too lazy to check, but didn’t he also have an affair while his wife was dying of cancer, and he had berated her into approving said affair because she wasn’t going to be long for this world anyway and he couldn’t keep his dick in his pants long enough to wait for her corpse to cool off?

Deep Dish Fuckfest
Sep 6, 2006

Advanced
Computer Touching

Toilet Rascal
What a dumbass. That's EXACTLY the sort of thing you hire shadowrunners for. Making sure tragic accidents happen at the right time.

girl dick energy
Sep 30, 2009

Jesus Christ I was just making a reference to a bad DBZ movie how did it turn into this

Manic_Misanthrope
Jul 1, 2010

Can I just say I laughed at the fake profiles Gobbet made?

achtungnight
Oct 5, 2014
Xun- Funny, my ex made the same argument. I told her there was little comparison between $80-100 once in a while for a game and what her hobby cost, and we disagreed on the value of her hobby too. Never mind that I was willing to wait for a price drop on a game when necessary while she refused to shop around for better deals on her deal and was willing to use the credit cards we only got for emergency expense for it… never mind. I feel I was justified in my anger over the issue. You have the right to disagree. That’s all I’ll say about it here.

Girldickenergy- Never actually seen any episode of DBZ, just familiar with it secondhand. I and others may have taken your quote out of context, always a risk with obscure references.

StuddMuffin- I don’t know, I just remember the haircut thing. Wouldn’t surprise me, and I can think of many politicians who have done worse. But SA has another board for that.

JustJeff- Funny enough, my first barber that I can remember liked to say that my hair is so thick that sheep shearing was the only proper way to cut it. One reason I’m glad he’s out of business now.

achtungnight fucked around with this message at 13:04 on Aug 24, 2021

AceOfFlames
Oct 9, 2012

GhostStalker posted:

I don't think I ever managed to pay less than 10 Euros for a haircut, despite living in rather disparate places in Western Europe. Dunno if it says more about Europe or the US (probably the latter).

Hell, Norway has at one point cracked down on haircuts costing less than 200 NOK (currently around 22 USD) since it was a sign that hairstylists weren't being paid fairly.

AceOfFlames fucked around with this message at 10:49 on Aug 24, 2021

GhostStalker
Mar 26, 2010

AceOfFlames posted:

Hell, Norway has at one point cracked down on haircuts costing less than 200 NOK (currently around 22 USD) since it was a sign that hairstylists weren't being paid fairly.

I get the rationale, but drat if that doesn’t strike me as way too much to pay for a basic haircut without anything special or even washing my hair afterwards.

I know Chinatown has a reputation for being cheap, and I remember reading an article in the New York Times (or another broadsheet) about people going specifically to Chinatown for the cheap haircuts because that’s what they grew up on, which is the case for me as well. It’s where my grandfather took me to get my hair cut on one of his daily trips to Manhattan Chinatown when I was growing up, and when that particular barber shop closed down soon after he passed, I found other ones in Chinatowns closer to me, first in Flushing when I lived in Queens, and now in Sunset Park Brooklyn Chinatown due to living on Staten Island.

Even now walking through Manhattan Chinatown on the way to the subway from work and passing by Chinese haircut places, an advertised men’s basic haircut is still $8 or so.

Waci
May 30, 2011

A boy and his dog.

JustJeff88 posted:

I think that I've had my hair cut 5 times in the last two years and four of those were rubbish because they sheared me like a sheep; one was just right. One of the four bad ones though was by my barber who trimmed me 10 years ago when I wore my hair much shorter, so I'll give that a pass.

So picky, why are you so shallow? Have you considered being a good person instead?

Hwurmp
May 20, 2005

Just shave your fuckin' head

JustJeff88
Jan 15, 2008

I AM
CONSISTENTLY
ANNOYING
JUST TERRIBLE

THIS BADGE OF SHAME IS WORTH 0.45 DOUBLE DRAGON ADVANCES

:dogout:
of SA-Mart forever

GhostStalker posted:

I get the rationale, but drat if that doesn’t strike me as way too much to pay for a basic haircut without anything special or even washing my hair afterwards.

I know Chinatown has a reputation for being cheap, and I remember reading an article in the New York Times (or another broadsheet) about people going specifically to Chinatown for the cheap haircuts because that’s what they grew up on, which is the case for me as well. It’s where my grandfather took me to get my hair cut on one of his daily trips to Manhattan Chinatown when I was growing up, and when that particular barber shop closed down soon after he passed, I found other ones in Chinatowns closer to me, first in Flushing when I lived in Queens, and now in Sunset Park Brooklyn Chinatown due to living on Staten Island.

Even now walking through Manhattan Chinatown on the way to the subway from work and passing by Chinese haircut places, an advertised men’s basic haircut is still $8 or so.

New York is so ungodly expensive I don't know how anyone there is able to eat much less have a hair cut, but that's another story. The only big city that I have ever been in that was even remotely what I would call 'affordable' was Montréal, and that's largely due to the fact that the city is full of huge universities and if the prices get too high the hundreds of thousands of students would bloody riot.

GhostStalker
Mar 26, 2010

JustJeff88 posted:

New York is so ungodly expensive I don't know how anyone there is able to eat much less have a hair cut, but that's another story.

Not as expensive as it would be in Shadowrun (to bring this previous trash fire of a conversation back on topic, though since I’ve lived here all my life, I don’t consider it expensive at all because I’m used to it)!

After an earthquake wrecked the island back in 2005, the US Federal government (wasn’t even the UCAS back then yet) washed their hands of the situation because it’d be too expensive to rebuild, and instead sold the entire island to a group of megacorps (mostly the nascent AAAs, but AAs like Sony and NYPD, Inc also had some shares) going in together as the Manhattan Development Consortium, who built their HQ skyraker in the ruins of Gracie Mansion.

The WTC site became the terrestrial HQ of the Corp Court (9/11 never happened in Shadowrun), the UN moved back to Geneva, and the Stock Exchange decamped to Boston, and the corps rebuilt Manhattan a couple of meters over the ruins of the old, Futurama style, but with ubiquitous security camera systems everywhere, all monitored by NYPD, Inc. They even destroyed all traces of Harlem save for the Apollo Theater and the parts of it owned by Columbia University, and renamed it Newtown. The only bits of Manhattan not entirely under the corporate thumb is Chinatown, and that’s because the Triads are too difficult to root out entirely. Now you need a color coded pass to even get on the island via the subway, which limits how far you can officially take the system.

Slaan
Mar 16, 2009

ASHERAH DEMANDS I FEAST, I VOTE FOR A FEAST OF FLESH
Color coded passes? I see that Alpha Complex is just Manhattan then

GhostStalker
Mar 26, 2010

Slaan posted:

Color coded passes? I see that Alpha Complex is just Manhattan then

Now that it’s the wireless future again, the passes are RFID tags loaded onto your Comlink/PAN. Better make sure yours are up to date, unless you want a state sanctioned beating courtesy of NYPD, Inc!

TitanG
May 10, 2015

AceOfFlames posted:

I don't think I ever managed to pay less than 10 Euros for a haircut, despite living in rather disparate places in Western Europe. Dunno if it says more about Europe or the US (probably the latter).

I remember going to Durham a couple years ago and seeing STUDENT HAIRCUT 25 POUNDS in a window and nearly choking. Around here they're for some reason 8€, with some places charging 10€ nowadays.

Kanfy
Jan 9, 2012

Just gotta keep walking down that road.
Part 20 - Talkie-Walkie (Part 1)

Back outside in the rainy docks, we strike up a conversation with a pair of smugglers loitering just outside the borders of Big Texas.

I'm new in town. Figured it'd pay to make all the connections I can.

[A grim chuckle rumbles out of him.]

You chose the wrong day, stranger. We're movin' further downstream, and we're doin' it today. There's somethin' wrong with this place. Too many bad dreams.

I know what you mean.

[The man blinks. His expression shifts from guarded to curious.]

Did you dream it, too? The long corridor and the thing with the ivory crown?

Something like that.

[He licks his lips, nodding.]

Lots of people in town dreamed it, or something like it. From the folks I've talked to, there were a bunch of different versions - some people turned away from the corridor, went down alleys, that kind of thing. I've never even set foot in the Walled City before, stranger. So tell me... why the hell am I dreaming about it all of a sudden? I don't even know what the damned thing looks like on the inside.

We'd pay good money to get concrete answers to that ourselves. As we currently lack both halves of that trade, vague personal theories is the best you're gonna get.

I think that there's something strange going on... something magical. And the Walled City is where it's coming from.

[He grunts.]

It's a curse. Nothing else it could be. Everybody knows that place is haunted, a living hell full of evil spirits and poisoned qi. If you're not careful, you'll wind up trapped inside with the rest of the human garbage.

[His companion cuts in. You catch a healthy whiff of alcohol on his breath.]

That isn't gonna happen to us. No way. Only the lowest of the low wind up in the Walled City. So like he said, we're going further downstream. Soon as our things are packed, we're out of here.

drat right. This place is a dump anyway. Let's try our luck in Macau. To hell with this place.

Best of luck, then.

Make sure to always check for fire exits when going out on the town, it sounds like local buildings can be unexpectedly flammable.

We could say the same to you. You're staying here in Heoi, after all. Of the three of us, you're the one who's most likely to need it.

There's another group huddled together close to where we bought a blade from that smuggler. That knockoff katana has done its job perfectly well so far, but the itch for getting to swing something cooler and slicier is definitely there.

[Their whispers are just within earshot.]

Naw, I asked Crafty, and she said the same. Them dreams is bad.

[You see the man shudder.]

Think we'll lose them at sea? We're supposed to set out soon to make that delivery. What if they follow us?

Eh, don't think so. Crafty said these things is just affecting right here for now.

[The first sailor points to the ground.]

Soon as we sail, dreams'll stop.

There was a boat here with a merchant selling goods not too long ago. He leave?

[The three sailors' suspicions turn into smirks. One snickers to herself.]

"Merchant," she says. That crook didn't so much as leave as he was chased off by Kindly. No sales permit. Not a big loss, though - the local shops have way better stuff than that smalltime hustler.

Why don't you look around? You'll find the shop owners here more friendly toward you now that you've gotten the okay from Kindly.

Thanks for the tip.

[They all exchange a look. The first sailor responds.]

Right... And stay careful 'round these parts.

I overheard you talking about the dreams. I've had them, too.

[You feel an uneasiness pass through the sailors.]

Seems anyone who comes by these parts is having them.

And soon as they leave, the dreams stop. Right eerie, it is.

Any leads on why they're happening?

Mmm. We don't know much ourselves. We've only just returned from our last delivery, but the dreams ambushed us fast enough.

Hey, what about that Crafty?

[The sailor turns to you.]

She runs the Five Phases. Smart girl. Might know a thing or two about this blight. You ask her, and she may have somethin' more to say.

Yeah. Anyway, didn't mean to interrupt. See you around.

We do go check up on Crafty Xu to see if she's made any progress going through her mother's texts about the Walled City, but she doesn't have anything concrete for us yet.

Moving on, eventually we find ourselves in Reliable Matthew's drone shop where his trailer seems to have gotten some recent attention.

Looks like the sunny salesman has his share of haters too, guess beauty really is in the eye of the beholder and all that.

Pretty eerie bedfellows. But then we do have an armed ghoul under own roof now, so maybe we're not the one to judge these sorts of things.

Everything cool around here, "beautiful"? Neighbors been giving you trouble?

It looks like someone vandalized your trailer.

Ah... what? You mean the paint? That's just some neighborhood kids, good kids... having a lark. I nearly fell over laughing when I saw it this morning.

Hope that's not one of your top shelf pitches, because we're definitely not buying it.

What exactly are the drones you sell used for?

Just about everything... they're helpers-to-metahumans in all sorts of useful ways. Drones cook, clean, carry messages, lift heavy loads, tend to delicate tasks... Why, drones can even care for the infirm and provide companionship to children!

[Matthew taps his temple with his finger, meaningfully.]

Think about it, beautiful... all the boring, dangerous, painful jobs that people used to do. The jobs that drones do now!

Because of mechanization, we don't force workers to breathe as many chemicals in the refineries. We don't make teenage girls pick silk cocoons out of boiling water. Not any more. Drones help us.

[He shakes off his passing air of seriousness. Clamps his cigarillo in his teeth. Thrusts his hands in his pockets.]

They're really something else, AIN'T THEY?

Not sure if reality is quite that bright, but it does seem like the oily salesman surface might be hiding some actual faith in these things after all.

How do people in Heoi feel about drones?

How do people here feel about drones? Why, they love 'em! Just about every household that can afford drones, has drones. You sure you don't want to try out this little UC-2 Tarantula? It's a great entry-level personal assistant.

[Reliable Matthew smiles widely, but the edges of his mouth twitch uncomfortably.]

Drones free people to take skilled jobs. They make the economy more efficient. And drones give poor people services they couldn't ever afford otherwise.

Then why would someone call you a "Job-Stealer"?

No idea! Drones are *job makers.*

[He waggles his cigarillo at you.]

I know what you're thinking, Taz... I think it myself. "Drones take jobs." Well, medicine takes jobs from undertakers, and sewer drones take jobs from people who used to crawl through filth to feed their families.

[He holds his hand somberly over his heart, and his voice deepens.]

When you see a drone messenger or maid, it's easy to think: "That used to be a person." Could be... could be. But that person can do another job now... and they can have a drone *themselves.* Everyone is better off!

[Matthew suddenly shuts up. His smile gets even more waxy.]

Uh... hey, let's not get all wound up about this stuff... It's too cheery a day for running off in our heads! Mmmm-mmmmm! Wow, Taz, just smell that brisk spring air!

[He inhales deeply through his nose, drawing in the fetid reek of the polluted river, and the sodden heat of monsoon season.]

This topic is fascinating, really fascinating. But, uh... I've got to get back to work. Shall we walk the lot?

I also noticed you have a lot of drones in your trailer.

[Reliable Matthew smiles serenely at you.]

Drones in the trailer? Oh, I think I have a couple in there. Probably ones I'm fixing.

It looked like a full playpen to me.

[Matthew shrugs uncomfortably.]

Funny thing about drones - when you see a few, they always look like so many more. Weirdest thing. Strange little fellas. Let's not talk about maintenance, it's boring... I bet there's something you need today!

Thanks, but not right now. Good-bye, Matthew.

Let no one say we don't know when to take a hint. Continuing on our way, our next encounter with a stranger awaits us just outside of Kindly's mahjong parlor.

You're not from around here, are you?

[His smile flickers briefly. He's got a decent poker face, but you can see that he's rattled.]

And, ah... why do you ask?

You've still got an accent, Lee. It's barely there, but I can hear it.

Ah.

[He fidgets uncomfortably.]

You're right, I'm not from Heoi.

Recent transplant, or just passing through?

Recent transplant. I split my time between Heoi and Aberdeen, though I'm mostly in the latter these days. I come here by way of Taiwan. That was my home until I was forced to flee during the Nationalist War. I hear you have a *slight* accent as well. Let me guess...

[Emphasis on the 'slight.' The corner of his lip curls smugly.]

...Seattle?

[Incline your head.] Good guess. Redmond Barrens.

[Handsome Lee suddenly fixes you with his gaze, sizing you up. His face is impassible.]

Nasty place.

Alternatively:

quote:

[Put on your best fake accent.] Nyet. Russky!

[Handsome Lee gives an elegant chuckle.]

Ah, and you've got a sense of humor, too. We can certainly use some levity in this place.

Yes, it's kind of a shithole, isn't it?

[He laughs.]

Yes, but it's what I call home.

What's it to you, anyway?

[Lee speaks lightly, but he avoids your eyes.]

Never been. I'm afraid it's not on my bucket list, either.

It's not a bucket list kind of destination. More of a place where people kick the bucket.

[He shakes his head and laughs.]

I know that kind of place. But let's not get into it just now, eh? I am a businessman, and I would prefer it if we could stick to business. So how about it, friend?

[He opens his jacket, revealing a myriad of small, bulging pockets sewn into the interior lining.]

Can I show you my wares?

Sure, show me what you've got, Lee.

"Enhanced sensory experiences" obviously means drugs, so we take this opportunity to add to our stockpiles of bottled AP before continuing on.

Might as well show our face to the boss while we're here, wouldn't want her to think we're trying to avoid her attention or anything.

[She raises an eyebrow.]

Was that message clear enough, Mr. Bao?

Yes, Mrs. Cheng. I'll explain things to him in terms he can understand.

[Bao steps back and becomes a meat statue once again. Cheng's voice turns treacle-sweet when she sees you waiting for her.]

Ah, our newly-minted shadowrunner! How are you taking to your new role, Taz?

It has its ups and downs, but if there's ever a good time to air out work-related grievances to your crime lord boss, extremity-chopping mad time definitely isn't it.

So far, so good.

I had no doubt, my sweet. I have a nose for talent. And how is Mr. Gun Show doing with his new life?

He should be okay. Just needs some time to get used to all of this.

Very good, my dear. Very good.

[She smiles.]

Was there something specific you came to see me about?

Just checking in, Auntie. It pays to stay in touch.

I agree, yes. Personal contact gets results. I have some good news for you. One of my people successfully planted a wiretap on the police's Special Duties Unit. If news of your foster-father or the Plastic-Faced Man reaches them, it will reach me as well.

[She glances back at Bao.]

Now I have some pressing business to attend to - the kind that ends in parentless children. I'll talk to you later.

Auntie has a charming way with words as usual. That's not the kind of business we want to stand in the way of, so we next go see what Maximum Law feels about the recent events of his home turf.

Hey, Taz! I was hoping you'd come around. You got a minute?

What's up?

Kindly had Whampoa burn your SIN. Word is you're doing work for her. Not normal Yellow Lotus stuff.

[Law shifts from foot to foot. He fidgets with the hardware on his belt.]

*Shadowrunning.*

Woman's got to eat. I'm doing whatever's necessary to feed that need.

Wicked.

[Law says it distinctly, in a hushed tone - then seems to catch himself. He draws himself up to his full height. His usual demeanor of self-assurance returns.]

That's pretty iron-clad, Taz. Pretty vicious. If you do good, you'll be noticed. Listen, if you've got info about runs... I can make it worth something. We Whampoans call that kind of thing "metadata." Whampoa likes to get the word on the street, from the active operators.

Worth something? Credits?

Yeah, I can hook you up with something... maybe creds, maybe some sweet programs. But really, you'll gain face with Whampoa. That counts for a lot more than money.

Doesn't Whampoa's service to their clientele include not prying?

It's not prying.

[Law speaks with authority. He thrusts his chest out, and puts his hands on his hips.]

It's gathering information. The world *runs* on information. If you've got metadata for me, great. If not, see if I care.

[Law looks out through the rain, across the rocking boats. He wipes his foggy goggle lenses with a rag from his pocket. His stomach gurgles loudly.]

Augmented reality goggles aside, this gig gets really boring sometimes. You ever want to talk shop, I'm here.

I'll think about it. By the way, your Elders hired a ghoul assassin to--

[He catches himself short, pulls himself back together, and clenches his fists.]

You know whose fault this is? *Ng.* She always had it in for Magpie, because Magpie was a genius. That turbo-snorting woo-woo idiot and her lackeys almost *destroyed* the Whampoa network.

[He folds his arms across his chest.]

I hope they string the bones of those morons from the gutters with a bunch of monofilament wire from the "Blessed Autofab."

[Law pauses, and looks over at you.]

I've heard all the rumors... but what's the full story? What do you know? We need to port this data out to the whole tribe.

Before I go on... you seemed fond of Magpie.

Magpie was the best of the bunch. She was a wicked coder and a novahot decker, plus she knew the infrastructure. Those of us in Magpie's bus maintain the shadow-nets. That's what keeps Whampoa independent. Now we've lost Magpie and half the other Elders. All that skill base is gone! All because *Ng* got a bunch of cruft in her boards. It was her fault, I'm telling you.

Hey, don't let us get in the way of your bashing, she certainly didn't give us much reason to. Anyway, there doesn't seem to be much harm in telling him what roughly went down, most of it ended up being a pretty public affair anyway. Plus we don't even need to lie too much to make ourselves look cool and competent.

Whoa...

[Law seems stunned.]

For real? Man... this is going to go down in tribal lore, Taz. Here... this is a credstick I keep on hand for when people have special information. Take it, you've earned it. I kinda want to think, now. And share files.

Hey thanks, that's a solid 30% bonus on top of what we got paid for the run, not bad for sharing something the details of he was probably going to find out on his own anyway.

See you later, Law.

Our wanderings next take us to the merchant monk and APC bender, Spider Shen.

One moment. I'll be done shortly.

[A few last flicks of the wrist see the final credsticks sorted into their respective bin, with the lion's share going to Kindly and Steel Arm Lu.]

There. Now, what can I do for you?

You pay a lot of dues to the Yellow Lotus?

You join the organization, you have to pay the dues. It's the same as anywhere else, and it beats the hell out of being homeless in Kowloon.

[Stuffing the boxes away below the counter, Shen produces a box of assorted needles and inks and begins cataloging them on a battered PDA.]

You don't mind paying?

Not really. Grandfather Wo saved my life by taking me in, you know. Life expectancy for homeless kids in Aberdeen isn't very good. Because of him, I have skills and friends who'll pay to make use of them. It's a good life, all things considered.

[Shen leans back against a stack of cages, causing the snakes within to hiss and snap at the glass.]

I'm just a Blue Lantern - a footsoldier. I answer to White Ming, who I studied with on Wudang Mountain. He's the 49er, the made man who runs our crew. I don't pay him, because he takes his own cut of what we make.

Sounds like a smooth arrangement as long as everyone wants to play by the rules. Or can. At any rate today is an off-day as far as new merchant wares are concerned, so there's nothing else for us here right now.

That's all for now, Shen.

On the streets near Club 88, we walk past one of the many unfortunates whose life has clearly been going too fast for their body to keep up with.

Whoa, buddy, keep your hands to yourself or you're soon going to need a lot more help than you currently do.

I c-could use someone like you. I'd make it w-worth your w-while.

[He peers up at you, eyes wide with expectation.]

Worth my while, huh? I'm listening.

[He mutters in low, urgent tones.]

I want you to t-take a m-message from me to Handsome Lee.

That dealer from earlier? So that's how it is, not very hard to guess the type of relationship in place here.

Yeah, I've met him. But who the hell are you?

I'm Stephen! Stephen Dynamite!

[He nods eagerly, desperation in his eyes. A sluggish tongue wipes itself over the cracked skin of his lips.]

Look, you've gotta h-help me. I've been *p-poisoned.* That crap that Lee sold me put bad th-th-things in my h-head! Whenever I close my eyes, I see... dark, narrow tunnels, so many... hands g-grabbing... razor-sharp teeth gnawing... and the c-children!

Bad things in your head? Are you talking about hallucinations?

[The junkie stares into space. A faint trickle of saliva makes it way down his chin.]

N-no... not exactly. More like n-nightmares. They feel very real. T-teeth b-b-biting. F-f-faces, f-f-f-faces I knew...

[His trembling voice trails off.]

Y'know, the whole "nightmare" thing has been going around. It isn't just you.

No! This isn't that! I'm telling you, I was *poisoned!* I *know* it! You'll help me, won't you?

Not sure exactly which part of an armed troll in an armored trenchcoat gave off the impression of a good samaritan, but your name doesn't happen to be on our short list of people we're willing to help purely out of the goodness of our heart.

I'm not a charity. If you want my help, you've gotta pay for it.

[Stephen Dynamite shoots you a sideways glance. His voice drops to a rough whisper.]

I can pay you. I... I have m-means.

Honestly, you look like you've pumped all of your nuyen into your veins already.

[Stephen Dynamite holds himself a little straighter and lifts his chin high.]

I don't d-deny my problems. B-but I d-do have money. I've done w-worse than you'll ever do, shadowrunner. And they still p-pay me for it.

And what did you do?

[The junkie starts to scratch his neck and face. His eyes roll wildly.]

I u-used to invent things. T-terrible things.

Yeah? What kind of things?

Most bomb-makers don't. Ignorance is bliss, and all that.

[A taut smile stretches across the junkie's features.]

Too l-late. I know everything that h-h-happened. R-regrettably.

Sounds rough. On the bright side, you can consider us convinced that your problems really aren't of the financial kind, which naturally means sharing a bit more of said wealth with those less fortunate should also not be a problem, yes?

Y'know, bomb-makers usually make fat stacks of nuyen. I think I'm gonna have to charge you double.

[A frown darkens the man's face.]

Take your money, then. It's all stained in b-blood.

Alright, looks like we're friends now. Let's do some friendly business.

Then tell Lee what he's done to me. That I need *r-relief.* T-tell him that I w-want...

[His sentence trails off.]

What *do* you want?

...I w-want my m-money back.

[His reedy voice wavers, but he stops and says no more.]

You're paying me money to get your money back?

Kind of an odd request but hey, we're not going to argue with anybody's personal principles when they involve paying us 150 nuyen for just a short walk and a chat.

Hey again. Care to do business?

I ran into someone with a message for you.

[Handsome Lee beckons you closer with a languid gesture.]

I think I can guess. Stephen Dynamite?

[He coolly raises an eyebrow at you.]

Yeah, actually. That's right. And you're his dealer.

[He places his hand on his heart in mock indignation.]

I am the inventor of much-acclaimed experimental pharmaceuticals. But why split hairs?

Well, your little guinea pig is suffering. Claims that a drug you sold him is giving him horrible visions.

[He pauses thoughtfully.]

Interesting. And what does he want from me?

What do you think? He wants his nuyen back.

It did seem more likely that the guy's substance abuse is just exarcebating the standard case of nightmare brain we're all getting to collectively enjoy here, but that doesn't really change what we were tasked to do.

Now. If the unfortunate Stephen happened to dilute my masterpiece with other, lesser substances, I can hardly be held responsible.

[His tone of finality is unmistakable.]

Then I'm afraid that we've got a problem, Lee. Steve paid me to get his money back.

He... *paid* you..? To get back his *money?* How does that make any sense?

Honestly, I was wondering the same thing, but I'm not gonna argue.

What's in the package?

A freebie. It's what our dear Stephen Dynamite really wants, whether he'll admit it or not. Deliver it with my compliments.

I thought that only the first hit was free.

[He cocks his head to the side with a wry smile.]

I suppose I have a soft spot for my clients when I know they're down.

Does this mean you poisoned him after all and feel bad about it now?

[The dealer emits a long, drawn-out sigh.]

I most certainly did *not* poison him - or anyone else, for that matter. If Stephen is having bad dreams, they're coming from someplace else. I won't claim that my product can cure him of his suffering, but at the very least, it can provide him with some relief.

"Relief" is the exact word that he used.

[The dealer nods sagely.]

I told you that I know Stephen well enough to guess when he'll be desperate for another hit.

People are that predictable, huh?

[The dealer raises one eyebrow.]

To an extent, yes. Anyway, I make a point of understanding people. It helps the business run smoothly, and I never have to use force.

You *never* get violent? With street rivals and deadbeat junkies running around?

[He lays a slender finger along his aquiline nose.]

Never. For one, it's not my style. Second, I know to make an exit before things get too hot.

Timing your exits right is certainly a life skill.

[Lee nods gravely.]

I wish my skill could have saved some people in my past, but no matter. It serves me well in the here and now.

I'm sorry about that. We all have regrets about the past.

Anyway.

[He holds the packet out toward you and gives it a shake.]

Take this. Give it to him. It should help him, at least in the short-term.

All right, Lee. I'll take them to him.

Very good. Please let me know how it goes when you're done.

Well we're back, no luck with the money though.

[His sunken eyes swivel toward you. He wets his parched lips and addresses you.]

Hello. I'm r-relieved to s-see y-you. Thought y-you m-might not r-return. C-can't trust anyone. This is a b-bad p-place.

Hey, Steve. I hate to say it, but you're not looking so hot.

[The junkie slumps in place. Furrowing his brow, he responds with difficulty.]

Anyway, t-thanks f-for t-talking to that little b-bastard for m-me. S-so. You got my m-money?

(Item: Bliss) Lee didn't have your money. He gave me this to pass off to you instead.

[His eyes light up at the sight of the packet from Handsome Lee.]

Oho...

Principles sure can be fleeting, eh? It'd probably be smart to just hand this thing over and be on our way, but this ruin is looking close to collapsing and it'd be kind of a shame if we were the one to give it the last push that finishes the job.

Just to warn you, it's the exact same stuff that you thought was poison.

[The man waves his hand dismissively.]

I must've been d-delirious or high at the time. Give it to me!

Look, I'm thinking that you might be better off if I held onto it for you.

[The junkie narrows his eyes at you. A hiss escapes his parched lips.]

Why w-would I let you do that? That's Lee's gift to m-me.

Because another dose of "poison" might have you dreaming forever.

[The junkie shudders. His wide, staring eyes gaze into nothingness, and his jaw clenches.]

The drugs d-didn't *cause* the n-nightmares. I acknowledge that. But I'd d-do anything t-to avoid the nightmares. Do d-drugs m-make it w-w-worse?

Probably.

[The junkie draws himself up a little straighter.]

Then k-keep the p-packet for yourself, as my thanks to y-you.

I will. Now let's talk about these dreams of yours.

[He looks up at you, suddenly suspicious.]

You want to ask about my d-dreams? Why?

Because I want to help you, you idiot. And I've been having bad dreams, too. Maybe we can get to the bottom of them together.

[He stares you in the eye, and his voice drops to a sharp whisper.]

These aren't like ordinary d-dreams. They're v-visions. They're... *so real.* I've p-put all kinds of s-substances into my b-body, and I've *never* experienced anything l-like this.

You were practically raving the last time we talked. Explain your dreams to me again clearly this time.

[He nods, though his tongue stumbles and stalls as he speaks.]

I'm w-walking through a series of d-dark, narrow halls. It s-stinks to high h-heaven, and I r-run into more and more p-p-people as I m-move forward. The p-people are j-jostling me, b-b-but I'm starving - like I h-haven't eaten for d-days. I j-just want s-some food, so I press on. I s-start seeing children in the crowd. Ch-children with t-terrible b-b-burns, d-disfigured f-faces. All these p-people are g-g-grabbing at me.

You must know that the drugs are making these nightmares worse, right? So why take so many of them?

[He gives a weary smile.]

Because I *n-need* them.

Hang on. You also blew stuff up?

I was a b-bomb-maker. I designed c-c-custom ordinance. It was a d-dream-job... plus, it was very lucrative.

[He rubs his thumb and forefinger together, then snaps.]

Megacorps c-couldn't get e-enough of the devices I invented. I was t-too high on my own e-ego to w-wonder what they w-were up to.

You sound like a pyromaniac.

[He smiles wistfully.]

A little, yeah. The p-power - the beauty - of explosions enthralled m-me. But I n-never wanted to h-hurt people.

What the hell did you think the bombs were for?

[The junkie shrugs dismissively, but he avoids your gaze.]

For w-wars, mostly. M-militias, mercenaries, armies - I guess it d-didn't occur to me that soldiers were *people.*

It sure is a mysterious phenomenon how giant piles of cash can selectively fog up certain parts of a person's imagination. Never happens to us, of course.

That's why I'm a big pacifist, myself.

[The man barks with joyless laughter.]

Now that's a lie. You r-run the shadows, you d-don't know who you work for, you're ignorant of the c-consequences of y-your actions. You've f-fostered violence. You c-can't have it both ways.

Hey, are we talking about me or you?

Touché. But just d-don't think your hands are clean.

I'm at peace with what I do, thank you. So what happened to turn you against your former life?

[The man starts digging his rough fingernails into his palms so hard that tiny crescents of blood stain his palms.]

I'm from Guizhou. Sichuan has t-taken over m-much of the province, b-but pockets of resistance r-remain. These are big p-political struggles, actions removed from the l-lives of ordinary p-people... Yet the *v-village* where I grew up in Guizhou was a-a-annihilated. These were t-tobacco farmers! Winemakers! P-p-peasants! Not military.

[Tears leak from the man's eyes, tracing narrow lines down his filthy cheeks.]

I recognized the distinctive p-patterns, the traces that were left b-behind. These were *my* bombs, used to shatter the l-landscape of my *childhood.*

Sichuan... That's one of the stronger and more aggressive Chinese successor states, a military dictatorship that's particularly big on mage supremacy or something along those lines.

Why would Sichuan bother to bomb a village?

To break the spirit of the p-people. It b-broke m-m-mine.

[The junkie's shoulders heave and shake, and he passes a hand over his face.]

Now I j-j-just want to forget. The drugs h-help - sometimes.

Did you lose anyone that you knew?

drat, the winds of karma sure turned into a proper poo poo tornado when they reached this guy. Can't imagine those guys' war crime plans hinged on Mr. Dynamite's home-made explosives specifically, but it's not hard to see how he's ended up like this.

Okay, Steve. I think that I'm getting what's going on here.

I g-guess that I must be feeling g-g-guilty about the b-bombs, huh? All of the b-blood on my hands. I can feel it all the t-time. I just like b-bombs, I didn't want anyone to get *h-hurt*...

[He clutches his face, sobbing.]

H-how am I ever going to make this g-go away? How will I *l-live* with myself? The d-drugs help me f-forget, but...

[He shakes his head, a look of utter hopelessness on his face.]

For starters, you can stop wallowing in self-pity. That'd probably help.

[The man runs his unsteady hands through his hair repeatedly.]

I c-can't just stop c-c-caring... What I was involved w-with... what I'm still c-complicit in... it's so t-t-terrible...

[He seizes two fistfuls of hair and yanks, cursing and muttering.]

What's done is done. Pulling your hair out over it isn't helping anything.

[The junkie relaxes his hands. His matted hair, where he was tugging, sticks out in ugly tufts. Sobs wrack his wasted frame.]

I j-just w-w-wish it were d-different.

There, there. Cry it out.

Thought that might help.

I feel m-much better.

Okay. If you wanna get through this, you're going to have to take action. No more sitting in a corner with a needle in your arm.

A-action? What action?

Do something to try undo the harm you've done. I dunno... use your imagination, man.

We're an ex-street rat turned ex-prisoner turned not-yet-ex-criminal, we can try to give you a push in a better direction but there's only so much we can do to solve the massive lifelong traumas of a substance abusing war profiteer who we met like 30 minutes ago.

If I were you, I'd probably get the hell out of Heoi. Go someplace calm.

[The junkie gives a crooked smile, his eyes a bit misty.]

C-calm, huh? Well, I can't think of anything b-better than heading to the d-desert to b-b-blow things up. I might j-just do that.

[The man pauses, licking his lips, his mouth feeling for the right words.]

But in the end I p-probably need to go h-home, to Guizhou - when I c-can bring myself to... I'll t-tell you what. I'll th-think about it.

Thinking about it isn't going to be enough. You need to *do* something.

Didn't expect that to turn into such a lengthy affair, but who knows, maybe ol' bomber Steve manages to turn over a new leaf someday. Or maybe he'll just be back in the gutter by tomorrow, pep talks can only do so much. Either way, Lee asked us to inform him of how the meeting went, so we'll go do that and then wrap up the rest of today's neighborhood tour, next time.

Couple of alternate responses to Kindly asking about how we're taking to shadowrunning:

It's not the life I'd choose.

I'm sure. In life, so many of us are forced do things we don't want do. And do you know why, my darling?

[She puts her chin and both hands and flutters her eyelids.]

Because world is a reeking cesspool of despair. Life is nothing more than one vile task after another until you're dead. But until someone caps you or you die from some horrible degenerative disease, I can assure you - there's more punishment in store.

-

I don't like being a criminal.

Get used to it, my darling. Everyone is a criminal. Everyone. The average wageslave breaks multiple laws every day - laws designed to extract fines and fill coffers. Corporations get away with worse than murder with no more thought than a line-item on a spreadsheet. Politicians too. And the cops - the cops are nothing more than hired guns with badges.

In 2056, the only crime is getting *caught.*

---

Denying Stephen his package minus the helping part:

I'm thinking that you might be better off if I held onto it for you.

Why w-would I let you do that? That's Lee's gift to m-me.

To thank me for all the running around. It's the least you could do.

[The junkie begins to scratch at his arms absentmindedly as he considers your words.]

My eternal g-gratitude isn't enough?

Just trying to save you from a wicked habit. I'd sacrifice my health for yours.

Oh, very kind of you, but no need.

[The junkie extends a hand eagerly.]

(Strength: 5) I just can't let you do this to yourself. You take another hit, and I'm gonna hit you. Got it?

[Stephen cowers before you. His eyes blaze with anger, but he relinquishes his grip.]

Hope you f-feel proud of b-bullying sad sacks like me. I didnt r-really want that h-h-it anyhow.

'Course you didn't. There's a good man.

[His eyes glitter with tears.]

Go on. G-go away, and l-leave me to die in p-peace.

Gladly.

B-burn in hell, t-traitor.

Kanfy fucked around with this message at 15:49 on Aug 31, 2021

bob dobbs is dead
Oct 8, 2017

I love peeps
Nap Ghost
game has taiwan and chinese balkanization in it and it still isnt banned in the prc, for whatever reason

it may be the elves

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Barry Soteriology
Mar 1, 2020
hey kanfy, nice to see you posting. i hope all is well, with everything going on in the world.