Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

KDdidit
Mar 2, 2007

Grimey Drawer

Raskolnikov38 posted:

Just and honest are the worst traits. Give me some mega bonus for having to act like a saint lest I have a mental break

Yeah there’s no better feeling in game than stripping rebellious vassal’s title after a war and no worse feeling than seeing you’re forgiving and having to eat a pile of stress if you do.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

bob dobbs is dead
Oct 8, 2017

I love peeps
Nap Ghost
you squeeze lots of folks for hooks beforehand and forgive them to make yourself feel better about it

Jedi Knight Luigi
Jul 13, 2009

Raskolnikov38 posted:

Just and honest are the worst traits. Give me some mega bonus for having to act like a saint lest I have a mental break

The super bonus is generating tons of piety for money and claims when there’s a spiritual head. I got tons of cash and claims for 30 years straight from the same orthodox patriarch until he croaked at age 94 cuz he loved me so much.

AtillatheBum
Oct 6, 2010

Justice ain't gonna dispense itself.

KDdidit posted:

Yeah there’s no better feeling in game than stripping rebellious vassal’s title after a war and no worse feeling than seeing you’re forgiving and having to eat a pile of stress if you do.

If you strip enough titles from them they will become your rival and then the aggregate is a stress loss when they lose a title even if you have just/forgiving.

It feels like very few traits in the game are super desirable over the others in CK3, which isn't necessarily a bad thing balance wise but I do definitely miss in CK2 when I made a 'super' character who was amazing at everything.

dead gay comedy forums
Oct 21, 2011

Jedi Knight Luigi posted:

The super bonus is generating tons of piety for money and claims when there’s a spiritual head. I got tons of cash and claims for 30 years straight from the same orthodox patriarch until he croaked at age 94 cuz he loved me so much.

aha, a very good benefit of being specced for learning

honestly, of all attributes, imho so far stewardship is the weakest one? aside from the "sell hooks" perk (which is far more useful on an intrigue master), stewardship seems mild in comparison with the benefits from the other trees

PittTheElder
Feb 13, 2012

:geno: Yes, it's like a lava lamp.

Stewardship is just a straight income boost, plus being able to hold more stuff directly, it's a really good attribute given that cash is generally the biggest constraint. I think Intrigue is the weakest overall since schemes can be so heavily overridden by your co-conspirators. Learning is also pretty subjective unless you're the culture head.

Serephina
Nov 8, 2005

恐竜戦隊
ジュウレンジャー
I think stewardship has some sort of use if you commit to it for a generation or two, getting a huge demesne sounds appealing if it's free money/levies without vassals. I've never tried as I'm always too busy stabbing people, whelp.

Red_Fred
Oct 21, 2010

Fallen Rib
I rate stewardship. My income has grown massively in my current game from doubling down by putting that money back into buildings. Now as the holder of Kingdom of Ireland and Scotland I can field huge armies.

SlothBear
Jan 25, 2009

I think Stewardship is one of the all around best traits honestly, even if all it did was determine how many holdings you could keep for yourself it would still be one of the most important. Leaning into that heavily is one of the key aspects of the mid game for me, up until the point you have such a well developed home base and so many vassals that income is meaningless.

dead gay comedy forums
Oct 21, 2011

I see, good to know

btw, I am having enough money to build holdings. Any particular tips there? I used to build cities in CK2 for the cash, but dunno if having barons is more interesting or if temples have bigger boosts

dead gay comedy forums
Oct 21, 2011

aaaaaaaaaand a lot of money into the duchy of anjou to entirely forget that I have the loving partition succession

sorry sis, it's turbomurder time

AtillatheBum
Oct 6, 2010

Justice ain't gonna dispense itself.
Stewardship is really strong in the midgame so that you can control a lot of holdings and build up your MaA count. I think Martial is probably the best early game stat since it can absolutely win you battles and wars that you would otherwise have no business taking on. Late game doesn't really matter cause no one actually plays it or is already so powerful they can do whatever. The other three attributes are all ok. Intrigue can be a lot of fun if you want to dick around with schemes but I definitely think it's the weakest since having a good personal score is mostly good for hostile schemes. A good spymaster can usually protect you from any schemes targeted at you outside of ones formulated by your spouse or the spymaster himself.

The best way to get ahead in the early game is to capture a duchy with a unique building that gives $$. There are a few in every corner of the map including most holy sites(though you may have to build it yourself) that give 2-3 gold a month and most of them also have a % bonus to gold generated in the holding. Grab one of those and build as many gold generating buildings as it can fit and you'll soon have more money than you can spend.

Mister Olympus
Oct 31, 2011

Buzzard, Who Steals From Dead Bodies

dead gay comedy forums posted:

I see, good to know

btw, I am having enough money to build holdings. Any particular tips there? I used to build cities in CK2 for the cash, but dunno if having barons is more interesting or if temples have bigger boosts

iirc temples have the biggest bonus so long as you keep your chaplain in line. if you're hyper-optimizing, you want each of your holdings to be a county with one castle that is also a duchy seat to stack duchy buildings

but if you generally start in 867, non-partition succession methods are far enough away that having a couple counties stuffed full of baronies does better for you if you have too many kids to deal with

PittTheElder
Feb 13, 2012

You also want temples so that your Suffragan Bishop gets rich as gently caress off his majority cut, then you imprison and banish his rear end to seize it for yourself.

zoux
Apr 28, 2006

Speaking of, do the combat bonuses awarded in the 1st and 3rd mil trees only apply if you are leading an army

dead gay comedy forums
Oct 21, 2011

intrigue is loving awesome, come on

I got strong hooks on three vassals of the king of england and got my independence from it, while not knowing that would get their independence too

now france and england are all broken apart in tasty morsels, a glorious free for all about to happen

PancakeTransmission
May 27, 2007

You gotta improvise, Lisa: cloves, Tom Collins mix, frozen pie crust...

Plaster Town Cop

zoux posted:

Speaking of, do the combat bonuses awarded in the 1st and 3rd mil trees only apply if you are leading an army

Any bonus that is listed next to the helmet means you need to command that army to impart the bonus

Qtotonibudinibudet
Nov 7, 2011

Omich poluyobok, skazhi ty narkoman? ya prosto tozhe gde to tam zhivu, mogli by vmeste uyobyvat' narkotiki
i miss release intrigue where the abduction scheme was stupid overpowered

loved my irrelevant drunkard byzantine count repeatedly getting fat payouts because the emperor's kids just kept inexplicably finding their way into my dungeon

Dallan Invictus
Oct 11, 2007

The thing about words is that meanings can twist just like a snake, and if you want to find snakes, look for them behind words that have changed their meaning.
The playthrough I started to try Sinews of War has been hilarious for intrigue: because the mod adds population, converting religion (and culture but meh who cares) is much harder/slower, so my shortcut has been fabricating/finding strong hooks on my neighbours (various Italian and Byzantine Dukes) that I use to force their kids into favourable marriages to my dynasty or guardianship contracts that convert them to my faith, so when they inherit they'll spread it for me (theoretically). Or, alternatively, be immediately overthrown and torn apart by populist revolts/angry vassals but whatever, I'm starting in 769, I have time.

The other stats/lifestyle trees are great for various orderly, strategic plans to increase your power, but I'm not gonna underestimate intrigue's potential for just throwing infinite wrenches into everyone's orderly, strategic plans and then clawing your way to the top of the pile of twisted metal and ashes.

KDdidit
Mar 2, 2007

Grimey Drawer
Did the Roman Empire thing and love the free CB. Last ruler inherited just as he became an adult and at 27 has a -31 offensive war vassal penalty already. I should really stop myself from doing all these one province wars, but it's so fun.

FreudianSlippers
Apr 12, 2010

Shooting and Fucking
are the same thing!

king big

beer gas canister
Oct 30, 2007

shmups are da best come play some shmups they're cheap and good and you like them
Plaster Town Cop
i'm going to boot this up for the first time since launch, have the patches introduced any major changes or improvements? the expansions are looking good so far

Wafflecopper
Nov 27, 2004

I am a mouth, and I must scream

Very East Francia

FreudianSlippers
Apr 12, 2010

Shooting and Fucking
are the same thing!

Huh in my multiplayer game my to long term nemesis Long Burgundy is falling under the control of my dynasty because for some reason the current king is in a matrilineal marriage with a lady from my dynasty and I have no idea how it happened.

They even have a son who is set to inherit the whole shebang and is now my ward.

a pipe smoking dog
Jan 25, 2010

"haha, dogs can't smoke!"

a pipe smoking dog posted:

I'm going with Polyamory for 1 of them as I'm going matriarchal and want my ruler to be able to have kids with the best men in the kingdom without having to worry about their husbands getting upset.

So update on this: doing it with no bastards was a mistake. Despite being matrilineal I was getting in a situation where if the father's religion was patrilineal my kids were counting as part of the father's dynasty and because I was still on confederate partition I had children from other dynasties inheriting my land. It was a complete mess and I think the best way to do my plan is to combine it with legitimisation so you only keep the kids you want that have good traits and are in your dynasty.

Elias_Maluco
Aug 23, 2007
I need to sleep

emperor small

Trevor Hale
Dec 8, 2008

What have I become, my Swedish friend?

I’ve been away from the forums for awhile, so I am sorry if this was addressed anywhere. Did the option to convert during a Great Holy War disappear? I was 300+ years deep into my first game in months playing as William the Conqueror; I had set up my custom religion maybe 100 years earlier (because I wanted equal succession and was gonna go on an expansionist kick with holy wars). I had all of the British isles, Iceland, France, and a chunk of Northern Africa in anticipation of setting up a dynasty of many crowns decision. The pope calls a holy war against me that I fight to a stand still for 7 years. Right before it kicked off my amazing presumptive heir dies, my oldest daughter converts to a heretic religion, my eldest surviving son kills my brother in a duel so I banish him, and my youngest daughter is an amazing Marshall and has the paranoid trait. I *hate* playing the paranoid trait.

Anyways, since you can’t white peace a holy war I try to convert to Catholicism to end it. Can’t convert in the middle of a war. My king gets a hook on the eldest daughter and gets her to convert, makes her his heir, and then immediately dies.

I am now 8 years into a crusade for one of my 6 kingdoms that I just want to end and then all of a sudden my 5 other kingdoms decide to rebel. In a panic I capitulate to the crusade and the rebellion and I am left with one county in Northern Africa.

I have never fallen so far like that after being on autopilot looking to map out my final 90 years.

scaterry
Sep 12, 2012
COA designer dev diary! https://pdxint.at/2Y7CRU1
at least 33 fleur de lis at the same time! over a thousand emblems! you can finally have a duck dynasty without pulling from the coa gatcha! HYPE

Dwesa
Jul 19, 2016

scaterry posted:

at least 33 fleur de lis at the same time! over a thousand emblems! you can finally have a duck dynasty without pulling from the coa gatcha! HYPE
:sickos:

zoux
Apr 28, 2006

Are they going to include a penis stencil or are they going to make us spend 20 minutes doing that at the beginning of every game

a pipe smoking dog
Jan 25, 2010

"haha, dogs can't smoke!"

scaterry posted:

lol the shout out to the modder who just realised a coat of arms designer is hilarious.

Dallan Invictus
Oct 11, 2007

The thing about words is that meanings can twist just like a snake, and if you want to find snakes, look for them behind words that have changed their meaning.

a pipe smoking dog posted:

lol the shout out to the modder who just realised a coat of arms designer is hilarious.

Luckiest modder on earth: all the praise for doing something awesome and never has to do a patch for compatibility with a Paradox update

Femtosecond
Aug 2, 2003

Back on my Sicily game after a long while away camping (a shame there's no low tech version of Crusader Kings 3 that can run on a Switch...).

Conquered Pisa from the Muslims and now getting a message that it's the "wrong" government type for me. The game suggests that I give this away to some one, which presumably turns the county into a city state.

My questions though are:
1) Ok sure enough, but is it worth while creating the Dutchy and Kingdom for any reason?
2) Is there any way to turn Pisa from a Republic into a Feudal county? Right now it's just a city and church holdings. I notice that there is a spot where I could build a castle. If I give someone the castle do they run it as a feudal county? (if this works is there any reason I should do this?)

On this topic I've also noticed I've acquired through vassalization some theocratic counties. Same questions I guess. Is there any way to change these to feudal? (if so, any reason I'd want to? From the wiki looks like I get more tax + levies the more pious I am)

Overall game going well. HRE seemed to be fighting off some internal battles so I took the opportunity to advance my heir's claim and nabbed the Dutchy of Verona. I guess it's a downside that I lose a bit of control, having him out of my court, but it seems good to be able to solidify those lands for my heir.

The last ruler had like 5+ male heirs so my demesne is um... extremely small. Basically just a county and whatever random counties I've conquered since I transitioned to this new ruler. I'm trying to think of the best, most coherent way to get more. Given that I'm pretty much related to all my vassals dynasty claims seems like a route?

The youngest son (brother of my current playable character) didn't get a dutchy in the inheritance but instead a real prime county that I'd put a fair amount of work building up with new buildings. I'm considering revoking those lands for my demesne but then giving this guy some new lands (and a dutchy) elsewhere. Seems reasonable? Looks like there's an enormous tyranny hit, but I suppose the way you properly do this is to first use dynasty renown to get a claim first, then you pull the title, then give him a new one? Hopefully then he isn't too much upset by the end of that?

PittTheElder
Feb 13, 2012

You can change them to Feudal holdings by building castles and moving the county capital to that holding, but you shouldn't. Theocratic holdings in particular are worth their weight in gold (new ones can't be created) since they contribute far more on average than your Feudal vassals (though this depends on your Piety level) and won't join factions against you. You can also grant your children said holdings and they will become Theocratic rulers, excluding them from succession.

Republican vassals are far less useful by comparison, compared to Feudal vassals it's basically a wash.

You can use Renown to get claims and tyranny free revokations but I wouldn't, that renown is much better spent on the legacy trees.

zoux
Apr 28, 2006

PittTheElder posted:

You can change them to Feudal holdings by building castles and moving the county capital to that holding, but you shouldn't. Theocratic holdings in particular are worth their weight in gold (new ones can't be created) since they contribute far more on average than your Feudal vassals (though this depends on your Piety level) and won't join factions against you. You can also grant your children said holdings and they will become Theocratic rulers, excluding them from succession.

Republican vassals are far less useful by comparison, compared to Feudal vassals it's basically a wash.

You can use Renown to get claims and tyranny free revokations but I wouldn't, that renown is much better spent on the legacy trees.

It was really cool the other day when my carefully crafted heir inherited some bullshit from his mother and then appointed himself as a prince-bishop, leaving me with the weak, shy, craven spare that I engineered to not challenge his chad brother as my sole heir.

PittTheElder
Feb 13, 2012

How the hell did your wife inherit a bishopric of all things?

E: I mean I'm guessing you're just not in a male dominated religion?

PittTheElder fucked around with this message at 20:58 on Aug 31, 2021

CapnAndy
Feb 27, 2004

Some teeth long for ripping, gleaming wet from black dog gums. So you keep your eyes closed at the end. You don't want to see such a mouth up close. before the bite, before its oblivion in the goring of your soft parts, the speckled lips will curl back in a whinny of excitement. You just know it.

scaterry posted:

That's going to be super cool for when you marry into some powerful dynasty and want your arms to reflect it. I still remember in my CK2 GoT LP, wanting to make new arms that married the Stark direwolf and Targaryen dragon, but it being too big a pain in the rear end to actually do.

zoux
Apr 28, 2006

PittTheElder posted:

How the hell did your wife inherit a bishopric of all things?

E: I mean I'm guessing you're just not in a male dominated religion?

I don't know wtf happened, I was playing as Matilda of Tuscany. Had son, son inherited land and suddenly I got a "new heir" notification.

Also the other day I was playing as Alfred and was wrapping up Mercia and waiting for Whiteshirt to die so I could invade York. I skipped a crusade request that I thought was for Jerusalem but was in fact for Jorvik, so I scrambled to get in that war so I didn't have some crusader kingdom up in north England. Well the pope didn't take terribly kindly to that and his armies whooped my rear end, so I retreated to lick my wounds and hung out on the border to fight off any mad Norsemen while I waited for the crusade to end. Then, bang, crusade ended due to no longer being valid and I was suddenly the lord of both Lancaster and York. Still don't know what happened there.

Knuc U Kinte
Aug 17, 2004

Trevor Hale posted:

I’ve been away from the forums for awhile, so I am sorry if this was addressed anywhere. Did the option to convert during a Great Holy War disappear? I was 300+ years deep into my first game in months playing as William the Conqueror; I had set up my custom religion maybe 100 years earlier (because I wanted equal succession and was gonna go on an expansionist kick with holy wars). I had all of the British isles, Iceland, France, and a chunk of Northern Africa in anticipation of setting up a dynasty of many crowns decision. The pope calls a holy war against me that I fight to a stand still for 7 years. Right before it kicked off my amazing presumptive heir dies, my oldest daughter converts to a heretic religion, my eldest surviving son kills my brother in a duel so I banish him, and my youngest daughter is an amazing Marshall and has the paranoid trait. I *hate* playing the paranoid trait.

Anyways, since you can’t white peace a holy war I try to convert to Catholicism to end it. Can’t convert in the middle of a war. My king gets a hook on the eldest daughter and gets her to convert, makes her his heir, and then immediately dies.

I am now 8 years into a crusade for one of my 6 kingdoms that I just want to end and then all of a sudden my 5 other kingdoms decide to rebel. In a panic I capitulate to the crusade and the rebellion and I am left with one county in Northern Africa.

I have never fallen so far like that after being on autopilot looking to map out my final 90 years.

I’m pretty sure you can only convert religions in that situation if you’re unreformed.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Whorelord
May 1, 2013

Jump into the well...

Anyone else got this weird graphical bug where jewlery seems to make things see through? It's the same for me both modded and unmodded.